Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

muscles like this! posted:

Years ago I was browsing the videogame section of Best Buy and they had something similar with fake game slipcases you would put over the real game.

A nerd toy website did a thing where for April Fool's Day they mocked up this:

A tauntaun sleeping bag with the interior print being guts and the zipper pull tab a lightsaber
however it turned out people liked it so much they ended up actually producing them.

I, uh, want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Top notch shitpost.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And when there was only one set of footprints? That was when I had to drop a deuce.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Hate yourself, and enjoy being disgusted? Want to watch a skilled bartender make the three worst cocktails ever invented? Have I got the video for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtxfPJZJtK0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

I, uh, want this.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Tauntaun-Full-Sleeping/dp/B00A2URI7G/

$250 on Amazon

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Shaddak posted:

Hate yourself, and enjoy being disgusted? Want to watch a skilled bartender make the three worst cocktails ever invented? Have I got the video for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtxfPJZJtK0

The first two are definitely gross, but that last one made me feel slightly ill just watching him. Dude is brave.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The first two are definitely gross, but that last one made me feel slightly ill just watching him. Dude is brave.

Yeah, same. For the first two, my reaction was basically just "Yeah, that looks bad but, whatever." Number three made me want to gag.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We made up a "gay russian" once, vodka with just enough pepto bismol to give it color. Not good.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Inceltown posted:

That's the smartest way to do your product market testing ever.

It reminds me of what happened with Adult Swim and Toonami. About eight or nine years ago Adult Swim brought Toonami back for their annual April Fools Day prank, rerunning the old shows it aired in like 2001. It proved so popular that within a few months it was brought back as their late night Saturday programming block and has remained since.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

A nerd toy website did a thing where for April Fool's Day they mocked up this:

A tauntaun sleeping bag with the interior print being guts and the zipper pull tab a lightsaber
however it turned out people liked it so much they ended up actually producing them.

This has happened several times to ThinkGeek's April Fools day items over the years.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the president of a company, who doesn't understand uhh whatever the gently caress sisäänheittotuote is in English.

E: a "loss leader"? Uhh OK.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

After googling that word, yes loss leader would be the appropriate translation. An item sold at low or even possibly a loss in order to get people in so they'll buy other products that have much better margins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A weird loss leader though because if the price hasn't changed in 35 years then at $1.50 it would have originally been a regular price. It didn't start as a loss leader.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Does it apply here though? I imagine the customers' thought process is more "Well, I'm at Costco and hungry, might as well have a hot dog" rather than "I'll go to Costco for a hot dog and maybe pick up a TV while I'm there."

edit: good point in post above mine too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lobok posted:

A weird loss leader though because if the price hasn't changed in 35 years then at $1.50 it would have originally been a regular price. It didn't start as a loss leader.

Wait, wait, wait... are you telling me their business strategy on breaded man-snausages may have changed at some point in the last 35 years?!

Man, this cappy-lissem, or whatever it's called, is a fickle mistress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trabant posted:

Does it apply here though? I imagine the customers' thought process is more "Well, I'm at Costco and hungry, might as well have a hot dog" rather than "I'll go to Costco for a hot dog and maybe pick up a TV while I'm there."

Marketing works in mysterious ways. My only contact with Costco is goons talking about the cheap hot dogs every time grocery shopping is mentioned.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'd say it has more to do with branding than being a loss leader.

I.E. a "Costco $1.50 hot dog" is a thing, and a thing that makes customers think fondly of Costco. To raise the price kills all of that good will.

Also, Costco is a big enough company that they can take the financial hit. And the CEO is probably just nostalgic for his $1.50 hot dogs and doesn't need the ivory backscratchers that a price raise would give him.

I could be very wrong on both of those points though.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Would rather splurge on this 2 dollah dawg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN4B-s4xKME

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Trabant posted:

I see someone has never encountered the Bunnings Sausage.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Baron von Eevl posted:

We made up a "gay russian" once, vodka with just enough pepto bismol to give it color. Not good.
I worked on a bar some years ago... they had a cocktail competition and I decided I wanted to do a variation on the 'Cowboy Cocksucker' which I'd call the Brokeback Mountain. I wanted to use Amarula as a substitute for Baileys....

If you've not tried it, it's frigging awesome, and can be subbed for Baileys for whatever use you want. I needed to find something as an alternative for the caramel schnapps, so I plugged "Liqueur Caramel Overtones" into google as a search-string. Pages and pages of caramel schnapps, but the first result for my cocktail called the Brokeback Mountain that wasn't schnapps was....

Mount Gay Rum

:stare:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

In all honesty as well Costco can probably write off the loss on the dogs against taxes anyway since they probably somehow class them as a marketing expense or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mount Gay is pretty good (for rhum) and one of the oldest brands.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
A top tier disgusting drink is the Sewage Pipe:

A green-brown frothy sludge, tastes pretty good though

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sams Club used to have great Nathan's Hot dogs, then changed over to another brand, which was still pretty good.
Then another brand that was.....acceptable, now it's loving garbage.

Well, I say " now". The food area at Sams hasnt been open in 6 months.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cable Guy posted:

Mount Gay Rum

it was named after this dude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Alleyne,_1st_Baronet and it's pretty good rum

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sams Club used to have great Nathan's Hot dogs, then changed over to another brand, which was still pretty good.
Then another brand that was.....acceptable, now it's loving garbage.

Well, I say " now". The food area at Sams hasnt been open in 6 months.
so.... better?

edit:

blatman posted:

it was named after this dude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Alleyne,_1st_Baronet and it's pretty good rum
I didn't know that. Ta

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Must be why he started saying "beam me up, Scotty"

Scotty: what's "up" Kirk?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's also Mount Gay Extra Old which for some reason they felt the need to abbreviate as Mount Gay XO

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Like literally every other alcohol producer? Shocking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cable Guy posted:

I worked on a bar some years ago... they had a cocktail competition and I decided I wanted to do a variation on the 'Cowboy Cocksucker' which I'd call the Brokeback Mountain. I wanted to use Amarula as a substitute for Baileys....

If you've not tried it, it's frigging awesome, and can be subbed for Baileys for whatever use you want. I needed to find something as an alternative for the caramel schnapps, so I plugged "Liqueur Caramel Overtones" into google as a search-string. Pages and pages of caramel schnapps, but the first result for my cocktail called the Brokeback Mountain that wasn't schnapps was....

Mount Gay Rum

Yeah, that's a thing. I can't say if it's any good or not because I'm only familiar with it because Josh Thurlow won't shut up about it.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

hot dog talk: we had something similar in Poland with 1zł (about 0.3$) hot dog in ikea, the price was like that for years until earlier this year when it rose to 2zł which was a big deal for lots of people, thanks for reading random polish trivia

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RustyKnight posted:

hot dog talk: we had something similar in Poland with 1zł (about 0.3$) hot dog in ikea, the price was like that for years until earlier this year when it rose to 2zł which was a big deal for lots of people, thanks for reading random polish trivia

It's a thing in US Ikeas also

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'd say it has more to do with branding than being a loss leader.

I.E. a "Costco $1.50 hot dog" is a thing, and a thing that makes customers think fondly of Costco. To raise the price kills all of that good will.

Also, Costco is a big enough company that they can take the financial hit. And the CEO is probably just nostalgic for his $1.50 hot dogs and doesn't need the ivory backscratchers that a price raise would give him.

I could be very wrong on both of those points though.
I wonder if it keeps you in the store longer. You go in for a tv, get your hotdog, well you can't carry the TV out with this hotdog, oh hey look a blender. Not quite a loss leader but I'd assume there's a term for it.

Also there's the thing where you have to pick where you're getting the tv from, the hotdog place or the not hotdog place.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
The "not actual size" disclaimer is priceless, however

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splicer posted:

I wonder if it keeps you in the store longer. You go in for a tv, get your hotdog, well you can't carry the TV out with this hotdog, oh hey look a blender. Not quite a loss leader but I'd assume there's a term for it.

Also there's the thing where you have to pick where you're getting the tv from, the hotdog place or the not hotdog place.

I think with places like CostCo hotdogs and Bunning's snags it starts out that way but gets to a point that not doing it would be marketing suicide because literally everyone expects them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Who What Now posted:

When you nut in space it push you back

When you nut on Earth, it pushes you back. :science:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think with places like CostCo hotdogs and Bunning's snags it starts out that way but gets to a point that not doing it would be marketing suicide because literally everyone expects them.

I always thought that Bunnings don't do the sausage sizzle themselves. It is always fundraising for a local scout troop, or footy club, or fire fighters, or the CWA in rural areas etc.

Bunnings just let them use the outside of their store because it's good for business for everyone concerned.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Speaking of Amarula, here's animals getting drink on the fruit, Marula.

https://youtu.be/AIDJ-sTuoO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RustyKnight posted:

Australian IKEA put the dogs up from $1 to $2 and it must have gone so badly for them that they put them back down to $1.