Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

n8r posted:

Machine built trails are too wide and too smooth. Flow us fun for about two corners then I want a different kind of corner after that.

Have you tried riding faster? Or better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kimbo305 posted:

I spent 3.5h putting on Cushcores and tires. You absolutely have to wedge the bead down to the center channel to have any hope of getting the whole bead over. I think soapy water is also key to pumping the bead back to the hook — trying to physically wrench the bead didn’t work.

These better be worth it.

Shop put mine on for free so I feel real good about that now.

n8r posted:

Machine built trails are too wide and too smooth. Flow us fun for about two corners then I want a different kind of corner after that.

I can understand this for sure. Having variety is very nice. Machine built flow trails tend to be pretty repetitive and they can be way too wide (my one complaint about the DTE trails in Michigan). As long as you have stuff around you to switch it up though it is all fun.

It now is getting dark way too early. makes me sad.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

n8r posted:

I can machine build tread as narrow as any hand built, people just don't want 6 inch tread and a machine is infinitely faster for any built features which unfortunately is all you've got for big sections of a lot of builds. Not to mention any jumps demand a wider takeoff and landing

thatguy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 18, 2020

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Also, I’ve looked at videos of particular Whistler trails and thought “It’s just switchbacks over and over again? Seems boring.”

I’m probably wrong about that, but I really do like the variety of corners and elevation changes we have in the UP... and a bunch of that is all machine-built.

It seems like there’s just builders who make boring trails. It’s so great to be in an area where that doesn’t seem to be a problem at all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

vote_no posted:

Also, I’ve looked at videos of particular Whistler trails and thought “It’s just switchbacks over and over again? Seems boring.”

I’m probably wrong about that, but I really do like the variety of corners and elevation changes we have in the UP... and a bunch of that is all machine-built.

It seems like there’s just builders who make boring trails. It’s so great to be in an area where that doesn’t seem to be a problem at all.

Areas in Whistler like creekside do have 3-4 trails which are basically just machine built smooth runs with big berms cutting back and forth. The other machine cut trails (A-Line, Dirt Merchant, others) provide a series of very interesting features like drops and huge jumps that allow you to progress as you get more used to the trail. There is very rarely a time when you're riding Whistler that you can't see the next interesting thing coming up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Machine built sucks. Flow sucks.
you shut your whore mouth

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Rode a modern geometry frame for the first time today. Soooo glad I swapped that goofy bikes direct frame for the ragley Marley another goon found.

It felt odd at first but it’s like butter on the trails now.

Edit: also not having a top bar that separates my balls when flat footing it is nice too.

Where are the picssss?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Noice. I was planning on doing the same soon but

kimbo305 posted:

I spent 3.5h putting on Cushcores and tires
These better be worth it.

the front tire's wobble is way too much for me to bear looking at on the road, so gonna have to try again after my hands and forearms are rested up.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hnnnnnnng :eyepop:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

n8r posted:

guess you'll just have to make a pilgrimage to the midwest and see whats up

we have such sights to show you

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yes I should leave a place full of actual mountains to ride in a place where people ski on garbage piles.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Sorry he's right hand cut done right is better than good machine cut even if good machine cut is better than bad hand built.

Not needing to go wide enough for a digger or having the same tread durability or camber requirements opens up a lot of really neat options.

Like the majority of what I ride is machine built and really good, but the couple of hand cut ones are better and wouldn't be possible with a digger.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

n8r posted:

Yes I should leave a place full of actual mountains to ride in a place where people ski on garbage piles.

I grew up in Northern CA and moved to Virginia many years ago and the things they try to pass as mountains out here are pretty cute.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

your easy elevation has left you with trails that squander precious potential energy

we husband each joule jealously, guarded against waste, maximizing its shredding potential, inventing entire new realms of thought to humbly make our poo poo seriously next level

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Boogalo posted:

I grew up in Northern CA and moved to Virginia many years ago and the things they try to pass as mountains out here are pretty cute.

I moved to Northern California from Colorado and the things they call mountains and high altitude are downright adorable.

“Tahoe is so high up!” at 6200ft :allears:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Spime Wrangler posted:

Please direct my indiana rear end to places.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

e.pilot posted:

I moved to Northern California from Colorado and the things they call mountains and high altitude are downright adorable.

“Tahoe is so high up!” at 6200ft :allears:

Ignoring whether or not you can MTB those areas, CA mountains are legit, there's plenty of high altitude peaks and wilderness :shrug:

e: I mean if nothing else there's Mammoth Mountain bike park that's up close to 11k

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 18, 2020

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

OhsH posted:

Please direct my indiana rear end to places.

NW Arkansas or the Lake Superior shore are the places I can personally vouch for. Not right on your doorstep but there's a ton happening everywhere though and I'm sure there's a ton of diamonds to be found. I've heard really good things about the Griffin bike park in Terre Haute, for example, but haven't ridden it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
All i know is brown county, griffin, and dte energy trails, im up northern indiana, copper harbor is 10 hour drive that'll probably happen next year.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Have you tried contacting them directly? With my Osprey packs have needed new fiddly bits they've usually sent one right over.

That's a good idea, thanks. I'll see if I can reach them.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

OhsH posted:

All i know is brown county, griffin, and dte energy trails, im up northern indiana, copper harbor is 10 hour drive that'll probably happen next year.

Scope trailforks: if you're doing that much mileage to get to DTE or Brown County there's a number of other systems that might be worth checking out if only to see how they ride. Probably going to have to put in the hours though if you want something bigger.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/map/?activitytype=1&z=6.3&lat=41.89483&lon=-84.75375

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My brother and I were comparing Strava stats for the year (he does mainly road riding with a $300 bike in Florida) and laughed so hard to discover that I had only 1 more mile than him.

Then we checked elevation and I was at 34.2k feet to his 3.7k. It's fun to show up your older, more athletic brothers :v:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Suburban Dad posted:

Geometry is pretty dated and reach is super short and has a steepish head angle at 69 dungarees. Super narrow handlebars too. It's definitely an xc bike but that sounds like what you want honestly. Some of the component choices and specs are vague so it's hard to tell much. I have no idea why there's an XT derailleur on that bike, it seems very out of place.

I personally wouldn't go with that one and find something more modern frame wise since it's about the only thing you can't upgrade easy and cheaply (fork also generally).

very late reply, but thanks for this reply! I looked around a bit more and spent some more cash for a more modern geometry. Also full suspension, because most HT's sold around here have similar dated geometries; and most bikes that caught my interest were sold out or had 5+ months delivery times.

This guy is on it's way now:

info here

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OhsH posted:

Fort Custer is cool (but horses), Cannonsburg ski hill, cannonsburg state game area, Luton park (last 3 up in GR). Yankee Springs is good. If you are willing to go to DTE you should go check out all of those.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Cool, thank you for the info.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Finally got my fork decals in and dropper on. Went straight to the jump park and blew a tire off the rim.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It sucks, but it's still cool to see bikes ridden hard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bike looks sweet. Just need some green pedals to match the grips and seat accent.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

n8r posted:

Machine built sucks. Flow sucks.

:hmmyes:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

As someone who lives where there’s very little legal single track I’d kill for some flow trails or machine built trails to ride on sometimes

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Levitate posted:

As someone who lives where there’s very little legal single track I’d kill for some flow trails or machine built trails to ride on sometimes

I built this just 4 u levitate

This one picture shows more elevation than in the entire state of Michigan so plz b careful

thatguy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 20, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I gots plenty of elevation just few mtb designed trails :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

thatguy posted:

This one picture shows more elevation than in the entire state of Michigan so plz b careful

Fightin' words.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Flow rules, tech rules, mtb rules. It's all good.

Unburned Account
May 22, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
N8r is the personality of a roadie injected into a mountain biker. It’s a sad thing.

All trails are good boys.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

thatguy posted:

This is the longest stretch of singletrack I've seen without rocks or roots. It's beautiful.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I tore off the dork disk this weekend not because it looked bad but because it kept coming loose from its clips and rattling because I'm riding too hard I guess.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 21, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The best trails are ones with good views along the way. My favorite thing is to see a spot on the top of a farawayhill on the horizon and say, "I'm going to be standing there in 2 hours" and then doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nocheez posted:

The best trails are ones with good views along the way. My favorite thing is to see a spot on the top of a farawayhill on the horizon and say, "I'm going to be standing there in 2 hours" and then doing it.

:hmmyes: