Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

elder scrolls is a big enough normie game that it'll probably be on everything, starfield will probably be exclusive, say goodbye to future doom/wolf/preys on playstation. but they'll be on PC/Steam regardless

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm shocked! Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Digital Foundry did their alalysis of Crysis Remastered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Az4-2o9AI

It's pretty disappointing. The dev team used the PS3 / 360 version as a starting point (which makes some sense - that version was ported to the newer engine), and is visually downgraded in a lot of respects. It also looks better in some ways, but I just can't see why anyone who owns the original would buy this.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

GhostDog posted:

Freedom Fighters has been re-released digitally (on GOG already, but supposedly coming to Steam as well)

:dance:

Oh man I loved this game, slowly working my way through each map, building a big army of dudes and then rolling with them. I wonder if it holds up... I feel like no game since has ever really nailed the perfect balance between getting to make important tactical decisions on the fly and making those decisions really simple.

I love that the first screenshot on GOG is from my favorite setpiece in the game: you slowly make your way up this long, painful chokepoint, picking off dudes yourself from above and sending your troops further and further down the road, and then when you get up to the cross-street, a tank rolls up and pins your dudes down until you can run up there with a rocket launcher. At least that's how I remember it. I played it on my Gamecube for goodness sake!

Also yeah the story is goofy as hell and I love it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

elder scrolls is a big enough normie game that it'll probably be on everything, starfield will probably be exclusive, say goodbye to future doom/wolf/preys on playstation. but they'll be on PC/Steam regardless

sounds about right

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

“Game that’s huge with normies” sounds like exactly what you’d want for an exclusive though, right?

You could totally be correct, I just don’t understand the reasoning here.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you just mod ES6 by playing on an account with admin access and running 3rd party installers/mod organizers with admin rights?

It's a real bad idea, but totally doable.

If you buy the game through Microsoft Store (including Game Pass), no. All MS Store games are installed in a folder whose permissions are beyond admin access. Even taking ownership of the folder will not allow modification of it, Windows 10 will fight against you.

If you get it on Steam then there will be no issues, should work like any other game as long as Valve will not support the Windows 10 app system. Microsoft is still releasing on Steam so all their purchased Bethesda games should go on there too.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 21, 2020

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

“Game that’s huge with normies” sounds like exactly what you’d want for an exclusive though, right?

Making it a console exclusive wouldn't drive enough PS5 owners to buy a series * and game vs the amount they'd be making from selling more copies of the games everywhere is the reasoning.

Whether or not it pans out that way who knows.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Overminty posted:

Making it a console exclusive wouldn't drive enough PS5 owners to buy a series * and game vs the amount they'd be making from selling more copies of the games everywhere is the reasoning.

Whether or not it pans out that way who knows.

Yeah, but if MS or anyone else thought about money and sales in a 1:1 way like you’re describing then they probably wouldn’t be selling consoles at a huge loss either. Does having ES as a console exclusive build the brand, particularly in conjunction with all the other exclusives they get from this purchase? The post I was responding to said that the game is big with normies. That’s who you want to build mindshare with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

other way around

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stux posted:

other way around

Are you saying that Microsoft will just stop releasing things on Steam again? That doesn’t strike me as incredibly likely considering all the work streams done to get big publishers like EA and Microsoft itself back on there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you saying that Microsoft will just stop releasing things on Steam again? That doesn’t strike me as incredibly likely considering all the work streams done to get big publishers like EA and Microsoft itself back on there.

no but theyll keep them off "everything" if they have any sense

pc ports are safe tho

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Stux posted:

other way around

elder scrolls will be xbox exclusive, starfield will be full cross platform including switch, doom/wolf/prey will be playstation exclusive

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
when microsoft buys steam in 2025 then finally.... the epic game store will look down and whisper "buy fornite skins. here's a free copy of binding of isaac"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

il serpente cosmico posted:

Digital Foundry did their alalysis of Crysis Remastered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Az4-2o9AI

It's pretty disappointing. The dev team used the PS3 / 360 version as a starting point (which makes some sense - that version was ported to the newer engine), and is visually downgraded in a lot of respects. It also looks better in some ways, but I just can't see why anyone who owns the original would buy this.
Man, some of that art stuff is rough, and it's kind of bizarre they just completely cut out a level. The fact that the remaster is still so CPU-bound and still bad at using multiple cores is also mystifying, like, what's the point if the main bottleneck wasn't fixed? :psyduck:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

Man, some of that art stuff is rough, and it's kind of bizarre they just completely cut out a level. The fact that the remaster is still so CPU-bound and still bad at using multiple cores is also mystifying, like, what's the point if the main bottleneck wasn't fixed? :psyduck:

As il serpente cosmico said, this Remaster was based off the console port of the original game; that version also had the VTOL level on consoles cut due to hardware limitations.

So this is a bad remaster of a mediocre port :shrug:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The remaster's main selling point, raytracing, is also unusable because it causes half-second long stutters repeatedly.

What a terrible port. The proper way to do it would be to rebuild the game from the ground up in DX12, but that ain't happening anytime soon.

Maybe Bluepoint can do a proper remake of it someday.

As it stands, the game runs like trash, it's still CPU-bound (even at high resolutions), the CPU takes a progressively larger hit when you up the resolution to compound the problem, content is cut, visual features are removed, art was changed to ill-effect, physics objects scaled down, certain inputs are hosed up, and the most noteworthy feature addition is unusable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m annoyed, I was looking forwards to the remaster just for controller support that made sense but that’s just... ugggh.

And if it’s off console code it probably doesn’t even have the hilarity of being able to support three graphics cards in SLI while not knowing what to do with more than one CPU core.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Qmass posted:

save me

If you fill the cell above the filled cell in the -3- column, the puzzle breaks. You can't fill either cell above or below the pair, which means you have to fill the other two cells by the four, which means you have to close the other cell next to the 2 thanks to the -5- clue. That cell has to be closed.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Trick Question posted:

If you fill the cell above the filled cell in the -3- column, the puzzle breaks. You can't fill either cell above or below the pair, which means you have to fill the other two cells by the four, which means you have to close the other cell next to the 2 thanks to the -5- clue. That cell has to be closed.

I've been stuck on this puzzle at the exact same point and oh my god thank you, that logic checks out.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Trick Question posted:

What do you mean the puzzle breaks? I follow your conditional string of implications, but I don't see where you get a contradiction.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Both of the cells next to the 2 on the left close.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Was Crysis really fun back in the day or did it just get acclaim for the graphics? All I can really remember is chucking turtles at things and getting shot at by dudes on the opposite side of the map.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Trick Question posted:

Both of the cells next to the 2 on the left close.
Wait, the blank square counts for continuity? I forgot they did so I didn't see the issue with the top square on the 2.

It's been a long time since I've played hexcells.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 21, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Was Crysis really fun back in the day or did it just get acclaim for the graphics? All I can really remember is chucking turtles at things and getting shot at by dudes on the opposite side of the map.

It's fun if you play it right, miserable if you just turn on armor and try to facetank the entire game. Also Warhead has much better gameplay than the original in some senses. If Crysis is a tactical stealth action game, Warhead is a "gently caress you bitch, I'm a god of destruction" game.

God the remaster looks like an absolute pile. It needs to be thrown the gently caress away and the whole thing re-done starting with original PC Crysis and Warhead and re-creating everything.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 22, 2020

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

It wasn't really fun back in the day. Its sandbox design became more and more constrained as the game progressed, leading to some surprisingly short and tepid experiences in the back half. People most remember it because the first 4ish levels make a great impression.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

People most remember it because the first 4ish levels make a great impression.

Yea, basically this. uhh spoiler i guess its crysis lol Aliens and cave exploring suck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey is Mordhau good if I loved Chivalry when it came out before they ran it into the ground? Is the ratio of Nazis to normies still weighted in favor of the nazis?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

only thing i remember from crysis is a helicopter being unable to shoot me when i was walking slowly

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Sab669 posted:

Yea, basically this. uhh spoiler i guess its crysis lol Aliens and cave exploring suck.

Yeahhhh it's fun playing predator in the jungle against hapless mooks for a while but the devs really obviously had no idea what to do after that and it facedives.

There is absolutely no reason to buy it in TYOOL 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Propaganda Hour posted:

It wasn't really fun back in the day. Its sandbox design became more and more constrained as the game progressed, leading to some surprisingly short and tepid experiences in the back half. People most remember it because the first 4ish levels make a great impression.

If you saw “from the developers of Far Cry” and didn’t expect this on some level, you definitely never played Far Cry. It felt like they were desperate to make the exact same mistakes twice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

i think about stuff like minecraft, fortnite, etc, where normies will buy any device that has it, because they have to have it in every room, and on their phone. elder scrolls definitely falls into this category as it has been ported to so many things that people thought the "Skyrim on Alexa" was a skit and it was in fact a real thing

games like wolfenstein though aren't really normie mainstream, it's stuff that hardcore gamers care about, and hardcore gamers will only buy a console if it has The Best Exclusives. that's the whole thing with xbox is that gamers(tm) just say "why would I buy that, it has no games". but normies will buy an xbox one s because it has minecraft installed on it

so anything from bethesda that is normie mainstream like TES should end up releasing on all platforms, and then stuff like starfield that only people that post on message boards even know what it's called (and even then we know little about it), that will probably be xbox/PC-only like Grounded and Avowed are

whatever arkane does after deathloop will probably be xbox exclusive as well because their games just don't sell as much as any of bethesda's other properties, so something like Prey 2(3?) would have more value as an exclusive that could MAYBE drive hardware even if it makes not very much money, vs being on everything and being a modest success at best

personally I feel like Grounded would benefit from being on more platforms since it's an early access survival game and that probably isn't going to sway anyone to buy a console just for that, but microsoft's keeping it xbox-only for now at least, which i guess sucks for Obsidian because it will get less attention and visibility, but again, it's worth more to Microsoft as "we have lots of exclusives" than "here's an exciting new IP that we need to get in as many hands as possible"

e: as for "where are the games" from Microsoft's acquired studios...
Compulsion - they are a small studio and We Happy Few was way too big for them, my guess is the next game they make is gonna take a while to produce
Double Fine - psychonauts 2 already had platforms decided upon, and.. it's double fine, so they take 10 years to make a game
Ninja Theory - working on Hellblade 2
Obsidian - working on Grounded, Avowed
Playground Games - working on Fable
Rare - working on both Sea of Thieves and Everwild
The Coalition - working on Gears 6 prob
The Initiative - ????
Turn 10 - some Forza game prob
Undead Labs - working on State of Decay 3
inXile - just released Wasteland 3

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 22, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

explosivo posted:

Hey is Mordhau good if I loved Chivalry when it came out before they ran it into the ground? Is the ratio of Nazis to normies still weighted in favor of the nazis?

Mostly likely and very much yes, respectively.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

i think about stuff like minecraft, fortnite, etc, where normies will buy any device that has it, because they have to have it in every room, and on their phone. elder scrolls definitely falls into this category as it has been ported to so many things that people thought the "Skyrim on Alexa" was a skit and it was in fact a real thing

games like wolfenstein though aren't really normie mainstream, it's stuff that hardcore gamers care about, and hardcore gamers will only buy a console if it has The Best Exclusives. that's the whole thing with xbox is that gamers(tm) just say "why would I buy that, it has no games". but normies will buy an xbox one s because it has minecraft installed on it

so anything from bethesda that is normie mainstream like TES should end up releasing on all platforms, and then stuff like starfield that only people that post on message boards even know what it's called (and even then we know little about it), that will probably be xbox/PC-only like Grounded and Avowed are
you might be going too bigbrain on this. the entire purpose of exclusives is that people then have to buy your specific device because it's the only one that has it. "normies" will buy the xbox one s because it's the only one with elder scrolls on it, and you don't care about "gamers™" because they're an extreme minority of the market and they're also idiots who will buy the xbox one s because it's the only one with elder scrolls on it but loudly complain while they do.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Normies like nintendo switch exclusives too and their moral character is better for it. They are the truest gamers™ among us

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm just going off the fact that microsoft has continued to put Minecraft on every platform and not made it Xbox exclusive when they easily could have

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im pretty sure every single american middle schooler would rise up and tear larry hryb into pieces if they tried that

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's certainly nazis is Mordhau, but I bought it like half a year ago and some people told me there were more of them before? In any case, I suck it at it and it's very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How's the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos? Is the fantasy XCOM stuff fun, and is the story at least entertaining (I'm not expecting a good story, but is it at least fun to follow)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 22, 2020