Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I can’t really see them recouping much of anything on cash cosmetics. There’s neither context nor real personalization; I kind of feel like the cosmetics (and maybe exotics?) would really benefit from some flavor text telling me what’s being represented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

wat's the best mission to find a dang dreadbot in?

Harm Room 5, there’s one in the first wave.

There’s a guide on reddit for which Harm rooms have which enemies for doing your challenges.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soonmot posted:

so uh, my level 50 hulk has two extra skill points?

I’m gonna guess they added two extra skill points to get around people who had bought their heroic/ultimate skills before the game gave them for free, thus screwing themselves out of actually completing their skill tree.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CommunityEdition posted:

I can’t really see them recouping much of anything on cash cosmetics. There’s neither context nor real personalization; I kind of feel like the cosmetics (and maybe exotics?) would really benefit from some flavor text telling me what’s being represented.

I've seen enough people complaining that the game took away poo poo they'd bought (which is an insane bug to have in a shipping game) that I suspect they're doing alright on that front, well if those people aren't so pissed off that they never buy anything again. They won't have been expecting some crazy large amount of people to buy stuff, just the 5% or so who go nuts for stuff like this to get hooked into this game as their choice of things to flush cash down the toilet on.

Personally I think they did an alright job of making it so the stuff you can get for free is at least cool as well. Like the skins you get for levelling the characters up to 50 or for finishing the heroes battle pass are all good enough for me to not really ever think of buying anything for real money.

However I do agree with the person on the previous page that the game feels pretty dead already, there's just not enough content to sustain this sort of grindiness and after the patch hit I logged in and saw that I'd gotten a bunch of weeklies that were pretty poo poo to do, the refresh option wasn't there for them, probably cause I'd used it earlier on in the week on challenges that had disappeared and only Ms Marvel was strong enough to do the elite vault quest I have to do to continue the post game big objective and I wanted to play someone else so I went "meh, can't be arsed to play today" and haven't felt the pressing need to go back since. I'll probably check back in every so often to progress the challenges for the heroes if I don't have lovely challenges when I decide to check and then whenever they add Kate to the game, see what her missions are like and how she plays but probably only briefly unless they add a substantial chunk of content at the same time.

Like it's crazy to me that they had 3 studios working on a game set in the Marvel universe and they apparently have access to whatever they want and for the multiplayer post game thing that they want to be this huge games as a service thing they made about 3 or 4 chunks of generic forest, desert, tundra and two cities and then some underground labs that could belong to any villain organization and said "yeah that's about right". Where's the crazy huge space station (you go there in the single player and I had one mission take me there in the post game, not seen it since but even that is just some corridors), the dark dimension, the savage land, etc? Even just Madripoor would have been something. Wakanda pretty much has to be substantially different from anything currently in the game to impress me at all.

Miss the days in Marvel Ultimate Alliance where the first mission of the second chapter was you invading Dooms castle suspiciously early in the game where he's the big bad and halfway through it turns out to be a fake castle, Arcade has just been tricking you the entire time, it turns into a giant pinball table and you fight the Rhino and Shocker. I know games require a lot more work these days graphically and such so it's not comparable at all but that game had you going to Atlantis, Asgard, Dooms Castle fake and real, the Skrull homeworld, the Shiar homeworld and some other places as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah that's the bit I don't understand. How the hell do you make an Avengers game and have such boring locations for your games as a service grind.

That's one of the things I really like about Vermintide 2. There's a wide variety of locations you find yourselves in.

In fact I'm wondering if the Vermintide, Left for Dead model. With an AI director instead of fixed spawns, specials and that style of end bosses/challenges wouldn't have been a better model for the grind part.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 21, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They want the MCU bland asthetic so none of that fun stuff. At least MUA3 was fun.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They probably just wanted to kick it out to get it out and they’ll just add a bunch of poo poo over the next year. Destiny didn’t do real good at the beginning either. It’s still a bad thing to fix your game post launch instead of just making it fleshed out to begin with.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah that's the bit I don't understand. How the hell do you make an Avengers game and have such boring locations for your games as a service grind.

That's one of the things I really like about Vermintide 2. There's a wide variety of locations you find yourselves in.

In fact I'm wondering if the Vermintide, Left for Dead model. With an AI director instead of fixed spawns, specials and that style of end bosses/challenges wouldn't have been a better model for the grind part.

Yeah, I'm pretty much over the core gameplay loop of Vermintide 2, but the locations are cool and exciting enough, even without there actually being any interaction with them, that it's still exciting to play! I can't really think of many other games like that, that aren't walking simulators, where literally just 'seeing' the next location is enough of a draw to make it fun?

Whereas Avengers, I actually don't remember what any of the post campaign maps I've played were actually meant to be? I assume 'AIM lab', but, I mean, it's so generic it could have been the BIGGEST BADDEST AIM lab or it could just be the one where they make the stationary they use, I dunno. I dont remember.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Invalid Validation posted:

They probably just wanted to kick it out to get it out and they’ll just add a bunch of poo poo over the next year. Destiny didn’t do real good at the beginning either. It’s still a bad thing to fix your game post launch instead of just making it fleshed out to begin with.

I've enjoyed the game a lot but I have to imagine with the sales/engagement numbers the developers are seeing, that they're looking at their initial draft roadmaps with a critical eye. I spent a pretty decent amount of money on Marvel Heroes but even I'm looking at the current and potential cash shop options and thinking, 'nah, I'm good'.

I don't think the game is a disaster and I don't think it will be abandoned, but I have to imagine the developers are wondering if some of the team members should be shifted to other projects sooner than originally planned.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mcu aestetic is poo poo and I wish they would've been allowed to go cartoon. gently caress Disney.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Good Citizen posted:

I've enjoyed the game a lot but I have to imagine with the sales/engagement numbers the developers are seeing, that they're looking at their initial draft roadmaps with a critical eye. I spent a pretty decent amount of money on Marvel Heroes but even I'm looking at the current and potential cash shop options and thinking, 'nah, I'm good'.

I don't think the game is a disaster and I don't think it will be abandoned, but I have to imagine the developers are wondering if some of the team members should be shifted to other projects sooner than originally planned.

What are you kidding? With notoriously reasonable SquareEnix at the helm?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shirkelton posted:

What are you kidding? With notoriously reasonable SquareEnix at the helm?

My only context for Squenix is what they allowed Yoship to do with FF XIV so notoriously reasonable seems accurate to me :v:

I feel like this is a game that my friends and I will play occasionally either during lulls between big games or when we decide we all want to group up to do a specific thing and I'm ok with that. It might take me a while to max out some characters but that's ok.

Also regarding cosmetics, I feel like they would probably sell a lot more if they cut the price on most of them in half. I don't think I can ever see myself spending $10+ on a skin.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

This is fun with friends but I feel like it’s gonna dry up real quick. Single player isn’t fun enough to be worth it.

Lol I really wanted more jumping puzzles in my life.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Invalid Validation posted:

Not even comparable imo. Destiny at launch had: 40+ hr campaign with lots of unique levels and areas, like 3 open worlds to run around in with 3 separate types of enemies with varied units to fight, multiplayer, strikes, exotic weapons and equipment that genuinely changed your dudes gameplay, and within the first month or 2 a raid and harder strikes with more prizes and upgrades to win.

Avengers doesn't have a third of the content Destiny launched with. Maybe a quarter.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

IcePhoenix posted:

My only context for Squenix is what they allowed Yoship to do with FF XIV so notoriously reasonable seems accurate to me :v:

I feel like this is a game that my friends and I will play occasionally either during lulls between big games or when we decide we all want to group up to do a specific thing and I'm ok with that. It might take me a while to max out some characters but that's ok.

Also regarding cosmetics, I feel like they would probably sell a lot more if they cut the price on most of them in half. I don't think I can ever see myself spending $10+ on a skin.

Definitely feels like a game I'll keep installed and play some rounds every other week for the foreseeable future. I hope it lasts, game hasn't been out long enough to make any kind of a judgement. I also hope we aren't waiting forever for heroes like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, War Machine etc. Finished the campaign and I just got captain america almost all his main ability talents and finished his iconic questline, and am around ~27 hours played I think. Plan to do the same for the others.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about the game's MCU links and how the Black Widow movie would've been out for a while and Taskmaster would've been a generally known character from the movie. My worry is that all the GaaS stuff the plan would've been to release heroes around their new movie release or whatever to drum up interest. Maybe we'd get Wanda/Vision around their tv show and Falcon/Winter soldier when their TV show released, but what about the others? Hopefully we will get an idea after they release the first new heroes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PlushCow posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about the game's MCU links and how the Black Widow movie would've been out for a while and Taskmaster would've been a generally known character from the movie. My worry is that all the GaaS stuff the plan would've been to release heroes around their new movie release or whatever to drum up interest. Maybe we'd get Wanda/Vision around their tv show and Falcon/Winter soldier when their TV show released, but what about the others? Hopefully we will get an idea after they release the first new heroes.

It doesn't really feel like the Kate Bishop/Hawkeye release as the first new characters was a pivot so I'm hoping that they won't mess around with planned release dates, even if they were originally supposed to tie into other releases.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

IcePhoenix posted:

A FFXIV style revival would require at least three things:

1. Square Enix to care about Avengers as much as they care about Final Fantasy
2. To know exactly what the hell is wrong with the game and how to efficiently fix it
3. To have a fan base sufficiently committed to stay with the game.

There is currently no indication that any of these apply.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Square probably doesn't want to lose the liscence and ff14 1.0 had like 59 players so I don't see the point you're trying to make

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Leaked skins of Kate. Looking good. Kinda funny that only 2 rows of them are without some kind of eyewear.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm kind of glad she has costumes with the mask, bodes well for Hawkeye thankfully getting his classic costume instead of that bland poo poo he's had forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Leaked skins of Kate. Looking good. Kinda funny that only 2 rows of them are without some kind of eyewear.

Haha holy poo poo they did the Hawkeye as Hawkeye costume!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like the hoodies

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's very fitting that with an entire roster of cool and fan favorite characters to choose from we're getting two people with bows and arrows as the first two DLC characters.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Square probably doesn't want to lose the liscence and ff14 1.0 had like 59 players so I don't see the point you're trying to make

Square-Enix would need to do EA levels of license mismanagement to get the Mouse’s foot up their rear end, and they are not nearly at that point, even with Avengers. The point is just because they turned FFXIV around doesn’t mean they’ll do the same with this game especially once you guys start getting sick of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mikemil828 posted:

Square-Enix would need to do EA levels of license mismanagement to get the Mouse’s foot up their rear end, and they are not nearly at that point, even with Avengers. The point is just because they turned FFXIV around doesn’t mean they’ll do the same with this game especially once you guys start getting sick of it.

why are you so invested in this game's failure

it's ok to like things

I like this game despite its flaws so I am going to hope for the best

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

why are you so invested in this game's failure

it's ok to like things

I like this game despite its flaws so I am going to hope for the best

You do that then, just don’t say you weren’t warned.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I'm the hoody with $TEXTURE_NOT_FOUND$

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I hope they end up doing more with the costumes than just palette swaps and poo poo. Gimme Old Man Thor, Fat Thor, poo poo even Gaz understood that playing dressup was half the point of these games.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I've been playing this on pc and I really liked the single player campaign! Multiplayer isn't really my jam, but it's a pretty game and I can happily play solo for all the interesting stuff when I crank the difficulty up.

Any chance they'll let us play the main campaign over? I don't really care about the equipment grind or whatever, I'd just like to replay the campaign.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Any chance they'll let us play the main campaign over? I don't really care about the equipment grind or whatever, I'd just like to replay the campaign.

They are apparently working on that. Seems like they didn't expect anyone to want to replay it so it's a feature they're going to have to actively work on and add in a patch.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

OxMan posted:

Not even comparable imo. Destiny at launch had: 40+ hr campaign with lots of unique levels and areas, like 3 open worlds to run around in with 3 separate types of enemies with varied units to fight, multiplayer, strikes, exotic weapons and equipment that genuinely changed your dudes gameplay, and within the first month or 2 a raid and harder strikes with more prizes and upgrades to win.

Avengers doesn't have a third of the content Destiny launched with. Maybe a quarter.

I played the poo poo out of D1. Saying it had a 40+ hr campaign is a goddamn joke.

And if you want to get technical, Marvel has many more "classes" via character selection and "skill trees" than D1 ever had. So tally that up in your content-o-meter.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 22, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

fadam posted:

It's very fitting that with an entire roster of cool and fan favorite characters to choose from we're getting two people with bows and arrows as the first two DLC characters.

Hawkeye and Hawkeye both rule and are fan favorites.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Also, they were pretty clearly gearing up for a Black Panther announcement originally.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shirkelton posted:

Also, they were pretty clearly gearing up for a Black Panther announcement originally.

Yeah he’s almost definitely going to be the 3rd post launch hero, along with a Wakanda region and faction.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

In the same vein of the xp boost for having multiple heroes at 50, there seems to be a gear boost for undergeared characters the more you have in high end gear. I've been running vaults and elite vaults on all my dudes to get them up to 130 and instead of getting one piece at the end, Black Widow, my last character, is getting a whole set of four purple items that are 8 item levels higher each completion.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mikemil828 posted:

A FFXIV style revival would require at least three things:

1. Square Enix to care about Avengers as much as they care about Final Fantasy
2. To know exactly what the hell is wrong with the game and how to efficiently fix it
3. To have a fan base sufficiently committed to stay with the game.

There is currently no indication that any of these apply.

You forgot a 4th thing

4. A person like Yoshi P at the helm leading the revival.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I got my IM to 130 power level and wow is it hard to get good gear in this game. There needs to be some way to reroll the perks and stats on gear.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey just curious how the mtx in this works - is it possible to get in-game currency just by playing and if so, how much of a grind is it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey just curious how the mtx in this works - is it possible to get in-game currency just by playing and if so, how much of a grind is it?

There's a sort of psuedo-battlepass for each character (pseudo because it never runs out and the launch character's equivalents are free) and by levelling up each one by doing daily and weekly challenges you unlock credits along the way. There's about 2000 credits attached to each one, roughyl?

It's not much of a grind, but I haven't been buying any of the cosmetic stuff, which is the only microtransaction thing. In theory, you can pretty easily get enough to buy each character's 'battlepass' (I forget what they're called, sorry) just by playing.

I've only really put time in on one character and actually tried to do their thing and I've got enough to unlock several later battlepasses. All other content is free aside from the premium cosmetics.

It's about as okay as microtransactions can be, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The only thing you can really buy with the premium currency aside from challenge cards (battle pass) for future characters that don't exist yet are costumes and emotes and graphics that go behind your username, and if that means little to nothing to you, you don't have to spend a penny. Characters will be free.