Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

In the twitter "2+2=5" debate I saw some physicist explain how Kelvin only applies to ideal gasses, so with crystaline structures and how they absorb or release energy it's actually possible to get to significantly below zero. They were talking like -400 K.

I'm going to need something more than a twitter debate, because isn't the definition of 0K "no molecular motion"?

Like, Temperature is a measure of molecular motion, and so by definition going below 0 would involve like, time travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We got an email that a car fire burned a Comcast fiber, forcing a number of our offices over to the backup LTE circuit.

Evidently the backup circuit is blocked from accessing the internet, to ensure all the limited bandwidth goes to communication between the remote site and HQ.

Our email is hosted on O365.

Well at least they can access all their Excel files on the network shares, I guess.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Never underestimate the bandwidth lost by a station wagon full of fire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Moo the cow posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth lost by a station wagon full of fire.

Nice.

re: Sushi chat

San Francsico has Sushi Boat. Still a conveyor belt, just with little boats instead of train cars. Still awesome. What I really want to see is a Tapas Train. That'd make bank if you can manage to keep the food at a safe temperature.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

I'm going to need something more than a twitter debate, because isn't the definition of 0K "no molecular motion"?

Like, Temperature is a measure of molecular motion, and so by definition going below 0 would involve like, time travel
Took me a few seconds to google, but will NASA do you?

ETA: I genuinely don't understand this myself, it's just me mindlessly repeating a thing what a science person said.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tldr, temperature isn't a thing that actually exists, it's a measurement we made up from a rule set we invented based on our observations of reality and at the extremes of reality that rule set breaks down and fails to properly describe reality resulting in impossible conclusions from the equations based on it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Took me a few seconds to google, but will NASA do you?

ETA: I genuinely don't understand this myself, it's just me mindlessly repeating a thing what a science person said.

Cool, thanks :) I probably won't get it, but I like to read it and pretend I do

E: They aren't actually making something colder than 0K, they are performing tricks with math that make positive numbers negative

but applying those math tricks to the real world which is bullshit voodoo

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 19, 2020

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Cool, thanks :) I probably won't get it, but I like to read it and pretend I do

E: They aren't actually making something colder than 0K, they are performing tricks with math that make positive numbers negative

but applying those math tricks to the real world which is bullshit voodoo

The wiki articles introduction is moderately understandable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KennyTheFish posted:

The wiki articles introduction is moderately understandable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

It's kind of a hit to the ego, but sometimes I check simple English wikipedia for some scientific or mathematical concepts:
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

The regular wikipedia articles often seem to be written for an audience that is already an expert on the subject. Simple english wikipedia has an audience of people who have a limited vocabulary and are trying to figure stuff out for the first time.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Volguus posted:

Soon enough you'll have a scorching 69C too in some places.

But, while I'm not one to kinkshame, I can feel fairly certain in suggesting that (for the vast majority of people) 69 C is somewhat-less-nice than 69 F?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

But, while I'm not one to kinkshame, I can feel fairly certain in suggesting that (for the vast majority of people) 69 C is somewhat-less-nice than 69 F?

Rankine is the only scale where 420 is remotely survivable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guy Axlerod posted:

Rankine is the only scale where 420 is remotely survivable.

Proof of rankine superiority

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Nice.

re: Sushi chat

San Francsico has Sushi Boat. Still a conveyor belt, just with little boats instead of train cars. Still awesome. What I really want to see is a Tapas Train. That'd make bank if you can manage to keep the food at a safe temperature.

Nope, Sushi Boat is gone. Which sucks because it was a great reasonably priced place downtown that had good vegan sushi. Went there all the tine when I was at Twitch

Warakabune on Church and 15th does boats tho. Not the best sushi but it made up for the fact by being a block from my apt

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Schadenboner posted:

69F is a pleasant fall or spring day where you might need a hoodie if you like it warmer, or you won't be in the sun. Here in the upper midwest, 69F is good for shorts and fun in the sun, but not quite swimming weather, even for us, probably for Alaska peeps, though.

69C is pretty much dead. I mean, it's survivable for short periods, but would suck really badly. When I worked at UPS, in the summers the trucks would get up to 135F inside, and that's only 57C. But it was awful and I'd go through a gallon (37.9dl) of water in a 4 hour shift easily.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

69C would be a relatively cool sauna I guess

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

probably for Alaska peeps, though.

Mid 60’s sunny day in the fall/late summer makes for good swimming

Not in the spring though, water wouldn’t have had time to warm up

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Shugojin posted:

69C would be a relatively cool sauna I guess

It would be a cold sauna that would only make you feel worse.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

Mid 60’s sunny day in the fall/late summer makes for good swimming

Not in the spring though, water wouldn’t have had time to warm up

does alaska have polar bear club crazies?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Hell, they're everywhere there's a large body of water that freezes in the winter. I remember seeing little news blurbs about them in Chicago all the time growing up. They'd chop out a hole in Lake Michigan and then spend the next couple hours jumping in.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proteus Jones posted:

Hell, they're everywhere there's a large body of water that freezes in the winter. I remember seeing little news blurbs about them in Chicago all the time growing up. They'd chop out a hole in Lake Michigan and then spend the next couple hours jumping in.

Chicago/michigan are the only places I know for sure they meet, so worth asking 😁

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

Chicago/michigan are the only places I know for sure they meet, so worth asking 😁

It's a thing in the 414 as well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

https://www.seward.com/plan/polar-bear-jump-january/

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
9/16 (Wed)
Team: "Hey we have a serious problem, the 1st and 15th reports are coming back wildly inaccurate."
IT: "How do you know the numbers are inaccurate, do you have a crosscheck?"
Team: "If you managed a bar, and your numbers said you sold ten dollars worth of booze on a Friday night, you'd get suspicious, yeah?"
IT: "Okay, good point. [sfwarlock] wrote the documentation on setting up that process, let's have him dig into it."
Team: "Please have him hurry, there's serious financial implications here."

9/17 (Thurs)
I pull overtime.

9/18 (Fri)
I pull overtime.

9/19 (Sat)
Me: "Okay, I have this replicated. If 'Step 6: Reboot and wait 15 minutes' is skipped, everything will look right on the client end, but the updates won't get made on the server."
Team: "There's no such step. Step 6 is (something else)"
Me: "Yes there is, I wrote this... mys...."
Me: "Yeah, it looks like Ben Fakename from your team modified the server copy of the documentation and removed that step. Along with five others."
Team: "..."

9/21 (Mon)
Team: "Let's jump on a call and discuss this procedural problem."
Me: "Yes please, I'd love to know what your boy is doing rewriting setup instructions."

(the call never happened, but later email thread went a little something like this:)

Team: "We're working on streamlining our procedures."
Me: "Well, unstreamline this one, you done broke it."
Ben: "I did it right! I spent a whole week testing after everything I removed and seeing if the client still worked!"
Me: "Do you think I sat here, and, what, came up with extra steps to waste your time? Everything in that procedure is necessary."
Ben: "We don't have time to follow it, it extends setup time unacceptably."

At this point, someone four paygrades up stepped in. We'll call him Laidback Larry.

Larry: "Gentlemen, gentlemen, let's just agree to disagree on this difference of opinion. Now, can we think outside the box and reimagine this setup process so it's faster and more efficient?"
Me: "Trust me, I've tried, we're working with a third-party client and an external provider. I didn't just sit down and whip out this procedure, I worked it down already until it was the best that could be done."
Larry: "Well, [sfwarlock], don't you agree that a second set of eyes and hands is always helpful? Have you tried reaching out to the provider for assistance, maybe for their best practices? It seems like Ben is the go-to guy for trimming the fat out of procedures, so let's have you two do some 'Pair Programming' on this and see what you can come up with to lighten the load?"

I can see the next week of my life, and it's going to be a repeat of this chucklefuck going "can I skip THIS step? what about THIS one? oh c'mon you have to let me skip SOMETHING... what about THIS one?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How much loving whiskey do you have and can you beat the other guy with the empty bottle over Webex?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What is stopping you from packaging this process up and delivering it as "Step 1, doubleclick this"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

What is stopping you from packaging this process up and delivering it as "Step 1, doubleclick this"

willing to bet the efficiency expert will just cancel the reboot when the installer calls it, leaving the whole thing completely broken

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I can totally see someone like that adding a "shutdown -a" type instruction to the procedure to avoid the restart

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

I can see the next week of my life, and it's going to be a repeat of this chucklefuck going "can I skip THIS step? what about THIS one? oh c'mon you have to let me skip SOMETHING... what about THIS one?"

:killing:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sfwarlock posted:

Ben: "We don't have time to follow it, it extends setup time unacceptably."

"And how much time does it not working correctly and giving you false information add?
Reminds me of users who are too busy to find the time to let me fix a thing that's costing them time...

quote:

At this point, someone four paygrades up stepped in. We'll call him Laidback Larry.

Larry: "Gentlemen, gentlemen, let's just agree to disagree on this difference of opinion. Now, can we think outside the box and reimagine this setup process so it's faster and more efficient?"
Me: "Trust me, I've tried, we're working with a third-party client and an external provider. I didn't just sit down and whip out this procedure, I worked it down already until it was the best that could be done."
Larry: "Well, [sfwarlock], don't you agree that a second set of eyes and hands is always helpful? Have you tried reaching out to the provider for assistance, maybe for their best practices? It seems like Ben is the go-to guy for trimming the fat out of procedures, so let's have you two do some 'Pair Programming' on this and see what you can come up with to lighten the load?"

No. To all of that.
Yeah, I know, managers gotta be seen managing. Don't know why he's defending "broke the procedure" guy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I love that their reaction to "skipping steps break poo poo" is, hey maybe we can find some more steps to skip???

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Now i understand why people go postal.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Was thinking about this the other day. Found out that somebody who had set up one of our registers ignored the instructions to install the receipt printer driver in x folder and just let Windows do it. The one provided by MS breaks the formatting of some of the receipt printouts.

Do I need to start writing "or else and this is why" next to every step that could potentially be ignored out of laziness?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

Was thinking about this the other day. Found out that somebody who had set up one of our registers ignored the instructions to install the receipt printer driver in x folder and just let Windows do it. The one provided by MS breaks the formatting of some of the receipt printouts.

Do I need to start writing "or else and this is why" next to every step that could potentially be ignored out of laziness?

It probably wouldn't make a difference, because they're gonna be too lazy to read your warnings.

This is a huge reason why some IT departments spiral into control freak lockdown nazis. Yeah, sure, some of it is control freaks being part of the IT department and wanting to have their little empires, but having users (or even first tier techs) gently caress stuff up because they can't or won't follow instructions makes you just say "well gently caress you I'm gonna treat you like a child and lock everything down since you can't loving handle simple tasks".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I want explanations behind every step :)

Which is the same reason I'm not your intended audience.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

all of the step explanations just have "see footnote for reason" and the footnote just says "because otherwise it doesn't work as intended you loving donkey"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Today I followed IT's instructions to always install available updates when Dell Command Update offers them and nearly ended up bricking the drat thing because DCU decided to update itself while simultaneously updating the SSD firmware.
When it booted back up DCU was missing and the firmware update didn't take.

Ended up working after reinstalling DCU and picking single updates at a time. Except for the bios update because, while I can suspend bitlocker just fine, I don't (and shouldn't) know the bios password to put into DCU.
I was gonna ask them to remote in to enter it for me, but DCU just doesn't offer the update anymore now that it failed. :shrug:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

klosterdev posted:

That was the one thing that I would have gone postal if they'd brought up, "well, you didn't mark this step as required."

EDIT

GreenNight posted:

How much loving whiskey do you have and can you beat the other guy with the empty bottle over Webex?

Ben or Larry?

The Fool posted:

To answer as generically as possible, there is a certain process that has to be done on some attached equipment; this is not just a matter of firing off an .exe in Windows and configuring it.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 22, 2020

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

sfwarlock posted:

Ben or Larry?

Yes

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

sfwarlock posted:

gently caress this loving motherfucker for loving making you so irritated that you posted this story and triggering me.

I once was in charge of a hardware refresh for an IVR so I deciphered how the existing one was set up with the help of the IVR team and built a new IVR in a lab on the new hardware. For various reasons the lab environment couldn’t be “turned into new prod” but had to be formatted and rebuilt from scratch.

My step by step instructions were something like twenty pages but they were bombproof. I literally gave them to an intern who was able to build an IVR from scratch using only my document.

So I ship the servers and the document to the site and they start building and when it’s done everything is hosed. Nothing works, database won’t initialize, no dialtones, poo poo won’t boot properly, nothing.

After getting yelled at for my bullshit doc (but the intern came to my defense!) by the site manager, it turns out the first two pages about installing the Sun One directory server on a pair of machines that handled service auth between all the different boxes were skipped by the order of the site manager “because we use windows here”.

No, he hadn’t tried setting up the Genesis software to use AD. He literally just skipped two pages of install instructions all the while talking bullshit about my abilities.

What a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super Soaker Party! posted:

It probably wouldn't make a difference, because they're gonna be too lazy to read your warnings.

This is a huge reason why some IT departments spiral into control freak lockdown nazis. Yeah, sure, some of it is control freaks being part of the IT department and wanting to have their little empires, but having users (or even first tier techs) gently caress stuff up because they can't or won't follow instructions makes you just say "well gently caress you I'm gonna treat you like a child and lock everything down since you can't loving handle simple tasks".
Everyone complaining about InfoSec in this thread? Same deal, but with installing software the King of Nigeria emailed them about.