Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did it?
The butler
The weird guy you meet once
Professor James "Goku" Moriatry
View Results

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The Robert Downy Jr. version is the best Sherlock Holmes and the only one that managed to update it for a modern audience and also stay true to the original characters.

I was and still am absolutely delighted that they didn't try to do up some bullshit ~*origin story*~ where Holmes and Watson meet for the first time, have a rocky start, but then learn how to be best bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Case of the missing booty. Who stole her butt?!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Poonhound of the Asskervilles

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

There gotta be a movie like that but with far superior detective - Father Daddy Brown.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sherlock “John” Holmes

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

why does it say "Mews" behind him?
is it because of Spot?
Is that what it is?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Stables I think

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Holmes in the original stories was a cocaine using bare knuckle boxer who was smarter than everyone else and also stronger than pretty much everyone else. They weren’t so much detective stories where you could figure out the whodunnit so much as you inhabiting Watson’s body while this bad rear end motherfucker made you feel like a stupid moron who was unable to accomplish the most menial tasks. Most stories went with Holmes telling Watson to stay in the apartment and Holmes coming back 4 days later saying he had solved it and beat up 6 dudes and also he hosed your wife twice breakfast tomorrow at 8 Watson?

You don't need to recite excerpts from your fantasy journals here, I have already read all of the entries anyway

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Isn't that the episode where everyone is like "you look very out of place Geordi" and he's like "oh because of my visor I guess" and the other characters are like "Uhhh yeah let's go with that"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I like the insane later stories, like the one where an old guy falls in love with a young lady and is insecure about how old he is. He takes weird experimental medicine made from monkey brains that hijacks his brain and make him temporarily act like a monkey, so he's clambering up the walls of his mansion at night and poking his dog with sticks until it attacks him.

Or the one where they're investigating vampires, and the lady is actually sucking blood from her child but it's because the other child keeps trying to poison the younger child and the wife doesn't want to hurt her new husband by revealing that his kid is a weird psychopath, so she sucks the poison out.

He killed off Holmes because he was tired of writing Holmes stories and wanted to write historical stuff instead. Then it turned out that didn't sell very well and everyone just wanted him to write more Holmes stories, so he resurrected Holmes but clearly just didn't give as much of a poo poo anymore. The later stories just kept getting more bizarre, and Holmes became more and more ready to commit crimes to solve crimes while Watson would get a bit uncomfortable and be like "uh this is a bit illegal".

Enfys fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 20, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

lol also the patriotic one he was convinced to write during WWI to boost people's spirits where Holmes is a super spy

or the one where a lady throws acid on this vain handsome villain to disfigure him, and Sherlock is like "yeah but he really kinda deserved it" so the police are like "oh ok" and give her a very light sentence

Sherlock Holmes is great and I love those stories so much for so many different reasons

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The 'eating monkey balls to be more virile ' story made me shake my head when I first read it, but these days i can completely believe a Facebook rumour about that would cause a load of boomers to drive the monkey population to near-extinction, even if the known side-effect was to mess up their brains and cause them to start climbing things.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Moo the cow posted:

The 'eating monkey balls to be more virile ' story made me shake my head when I first read it, but these days i can completely believe a Facebook rumour about that would cause a load of boomers to drive the monkey population to near-extinction, even if the known side-effect was to mess up their brains and cause them to start climbing things.

Judging by the current state of things, this may already be happening, under the radar.

Also the best non-Conan-Doyle Holmes is Neil Gaiman’s short story where he crosses it over with Lovecraft.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

QuarkJets posted:

Isn't that the episode where everyone is like "you look very out of place Geordi" and he's like "oh because of my visor I guess" and the other characters are like "Uhhh yeah let's go with that"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read a novel by some guy last year, it was about how Sigmund Freud fenced with Hermann Göring and cured Sherlock Holmes of the cocaine. I think it was called "The One-Percent Solution" and there was also a train chase.

It was poo poo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they got a show about sigmund freud on netflix or something now where's he saves the austro hungarian emperor from crazy rear end hungarians using his psychology to undo their magic powers its not a bad show its got violence and nudity and stuff

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eww I dont want to see a naked Sigmund Freud.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I agree with beef city, the original sherlock holmes stories are poo poo. I have read most of them

The Robert Downey Jr. movies are stupid fun, I wouldn't call them good but I enjoy watching them

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Eww I dont want to see a naked Sigmund Freud.

i dont rmemeber if you see him naked (i think you do) but its got a bunch of naked dudes if i remember right

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the vague idea of sherlock holmes will always be more popular than the original stories. and to be fair, an arrogant eccentric genius solving mysteries that no one else can is a good enough idea that it never seems to go out of style.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

this picture reminds me of fyad

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Later the holodeck Moriarty takes over the Enterprise, so they trap him in a simulation where he thinks he's escaped and is traveling the galaxy but is actually living in a box that Geordi just keeps in his room. You know, just a box of an imprisoned sapient being that Data created used as a paperweight or whatever in crew quarters.

Inception for Trekkies and Holmes fans.

There's a short story collection where Moriarty realises he's been tricked and put into a box and tries to escape. He thinks he managed to escape but hasn't and is still in the box Geordi keeps in his room.

There's some other Star Trek universe thing where they're told they can't just imprison a sapient being they created without having a trial, come on lads you of all people should know the Federation doesn't do this kind of thing <:mad:>

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enfys posted:

Later the holodeck Moriarty takes over the Enterprise, so they trap him in a simulation where he thinks he's escaped and is traveling the galaxy but is actually living in a box that Geordi just keeps in his room. You know, just a box of an imprisoned sapient being that Data created used as a paperweight or whatever in crew quarters.

Inception for Trekkies and Holmes fans.

There's a short story collection where Moriarty realises he's been tricked and put into a box and tries to escape. He thinks he managed to escape but hasn't and is still in the box Geordi keeps in his room.

There's some other Star Trek universe thing where they're told they can't just imprison a sapient being they created without having a trial, come on lads you of all people should know the Federation doesn't do this kind of thing <:mad:>

So they mind-wiped him and sent him to work as a butler.

Not Skynet
Jul 10, 2012
There was a good section in Feet of Clay dunking on Sherlock Holmes.

Sir Terry Pratchett posted:

Samuel Vimes dreamed about Clues. He had a jaundiced view of Clues. He instinctively distrusted them. They got in the way. And he distrusted the kind of person who’d take one look at another man and say in a lordly voice to his companion, “Ah, my dear sir, I can tell you nothing except that he is a left-handed stonemason who has spent some years in the merchant navy and has recently fallen on hard times,” and then unroll a lot of supercilious commentary about calluses and stance and the state of a man’s boots, when exactly the same comments could apply to a man who was wearing his old clothes because he’d been doing a spot of home bricklaying for a new barbecue pit, and had been tattooed once when he was drunk and seventeen* and in fact got seasick on a wet pavement

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The Robert Downy Jr. version is the best Sherlock Holmes and the only one that managed to update it for a modern audience and also stay true to the original characters.

The original Sherlock Holmes is also an unreasonably strong drug-addicted Kung Fu (Bartitsu) badass, and the original Watson is a former soldier and there to provide back-up. The more common take with Holmes as a stuffy pipe-smoking nerd that never has to get his hands dirty and a goofy, chubby Watson there to yell "By Jove!" is entirely divorced from the books. It seems to have been born of the idea that Sherlock Holmes is British, so both characters have to be Britished Up as much as possible.

Also the ages make more sense. RDJ and Jude law actually look a lot more like the mid to late 30 year olds of the book Holmes/Watson.

Also the entire final act of Game of Shadows is one of the greatest endings to a film ive ever seen. Nailed it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

A terrible Sherlock who spends most of his time being wrong and an rear end in a top hat

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Not Skynet posted:

There was a good section in Feet of Clay dunking on Sherlock Holmes.
Doyle made fun of this himself
there's a short story where Watson does the Sherlock read on Sherlock and Sherlock is like "holy poo poo bro, go on" and then at the end he's like "wow, dude... everything you said was wrong. that was cool, though."

it's a joke with legs though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKQOk5UlQSc
SHUT. THE gently caress. UP. MIKE.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Big Beef City posted:

why does it say "Mews" behind him?
is it because of Spot?
Is that what it is?

If you've not heard of having a horse as a downstairs neighbour, then I've got mews for you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have a book that’s a Sherlock Holmes crossover with the hellraiser universe. It was not very good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I have a book that’s a Sherlock Holmes crossover with the hellraiser universe. It was not very good.

it would be much more surprising if it was good

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

both characters have to be Britished Up as much as possible.
By Jove, you've got it! What, ho!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

this picture reminds me of fyad

Friends just hanging out and going on virtual adventures together?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the original concept of Holmes being an idiot savant for crimes was interesting but that lasted for about 1.5 short stories before Doyle decided that it was easier to write him as an omniscient superman

there were a few good ones. A Scandal in Bohemia did a good job of demonstrating Sherlock's fallibility while still allowing him to play super genius detective. it would have been way better if more of the Holmes stories were about seriously exploring the limits of his methods instead of spending half the story hemming and hawing about "oh dear me how dreadful I fear this case will never be solved" and then spontaneously solving the case top to bottom after popping out for a morning jog

Not Skynet
Jul 10, 2012
Also the best sherlock holmeses are Basil of Baker Street and Joseph Joestar although I'm not sure what that says about me. Probably nothing good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

A terrible Sherlock who spends most of his time being wrong and an rear end in a top hat

House is the craziest poo poo in the world. Seriously, that poo poo was completely insane. The Aussie doctor guy and the lady originally get together, sex wise, because she's high off her rear end because she stole hard-core drugs from a gay man who loves to party… To death. Episode where house can't get a taxi so he gets Wilsons girlfriend killed in a car accident (whoops). Episode where Wilson is secretly dosing him with antidepressants so house gets Wilson hooked on speed? That's just the early stuff and when I was still watching the show! In the finale, house set up a drug addict to burn in a house so that he can use his skeleton as an alibi so that he can go on some gay end of life motorcycle tour with Wilson where is legitimately implied that they are going to Thelma and Louise themselves. what the christ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah and Kal Penn blows his loving head off over a bowl of Lucky charms because the guy got hired by Obama

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Cubone posted:

what do you mean original?

like the books, or one of the old or more faithful adaptations, like Basil Rathbone?

The basil rathbone Sherlock's in the forties are fun. They accelerate him up to (then) modern times. And Sherlock and watson are hunting nazi spies.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Pick posted:

Oh yeah and Kal Penn blows his loving head off over a bowl of Lucky charms because the guy got hired by Obama

Do you mean he killed himself because of a cereal, or he killed himself with a bowl of cereal in front of him?

Either way, I am guessing the plot is less intriguing than I imagine it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

All of that sounds dumb, no offence op