Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you saw “from the developers of Far Cry” and didn’t expect this on some level, you definitely never played Far Cry. It felt like they were desperate to make the exact same mistakes twice.

You really can't draw that conclusion from a developer who had only made one game previously. Crysis had similar shortcomings, sure, but at least it didn't have hordes of dumbass Trigens everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Risk of Rain 2 is so good. That wailing electric guitar (synth?) makes it even better. I don't know about the Mitrix boss fight/level, but man, the side/hidden areas and regular biomes are top-shelf.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The 7th Guest posted:

elder scrolls definitely falls into this category as it has been ported to so many things that people thought the "Skyrim on Alexa" was a skit and it was in fact a real thing

wait, what

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

i think about stuff like minecraft, fortnite, etc, where normies will buy any device that has it, because they have to have it in every room, and on their phone. elder scrolls definitely falls into this category as it has been ported to so many things that people thought the "Skyrim on Alexa" was a skit and it was in fact a real thing

games like wolfenstein though aren't really normie mainstream, it's stuff that hardcore gamers care about, and hardcore gamers will only buy a console if it has The Best Exclusives. that's the whole thing with xbox is that gamers(tm) just say "why would I buy that, it has no games". but normies will buy an xbox one s because it has minecraft installed on it

so anything from bethesda that is normie mainstream like TES should end up releasing on all platforms, and then stuff like starfield that only people that post on message boards even know what it's called (and even then we know little about it), that will probably be xbox/PC-only like Grounded and Avowed are

this is backwards, you put the big titles people not into tech want to get them to buy your device, because otherwise they by the one with momentum/the thing they had last, which if you have no games is not your platform. this is the exact issue xbox had this generation. if tes and fallout arent xbox only for consoles microsoft should fire their entire marketing team.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

How's the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos? Is the fantasy XCOM stuff fun, and is the story at least entertaining (I'm not expecting a good story, but is it at least fun to follow)
I posted this in the fresh release thread when somebody asked about it there:

It is pretty bad, as of now. Every half hour or so, I get a freeze that makes me have to kill the process, and this has been widely reported by others on steam. The humor is great, if you’re a misogynist or 13-15 years old, otherwise it’s easily the most unfunny game I’ve ever played. Eg: there is an NPC named Binsc, with a giant miniature space hamster named Moo. An NPC says “I used to be an adventurer like you till I took an arow to the knee.” The bimbo elf says “why does everyone want to put their hands in my pockets.” The party leader says “all these girls are naked under their clothes! Oh no, must focus.”

However, the gameplay is pretty good, except there is a weird lag when you try to move, the keypresses are not always responsive, some of the stats and equipment don’t work or give the proper bonuses, and it’s very punishing- like a version of XCOM where you will miss or be dodged if your to-hit is lower than 75%, be dodged if lower than 85%, and every other attack is a critical fail where you heal the enemy and damage yourself. Also lots of typos and things not translated from French. (French dev team).

I’m a sucker for games like this, but play something else until it gets patched a few times. Fort triumph and the dark crystal tactics game are both better than this at the moment, and both of those are simply mediocre.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 22, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Stux posted:

this is backwards, you put the big titles people not into tech want to get them to buy your device, because otherwise they by the one with momentum/the thing they had last, which if you have no games is not your platform. this is the exact issue xbox had this generation. if tes and fallout arent xbox only for consoles microsoft should fire their entire marketing team.

Holy smokes, I got so confused reading what you wrote at first. I thought Microsoft was going hard on the making-their-ip-available-everywhere idea. Dat Xbox Game Pass is a big draw.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Alamoduh posted:

It is pretty bad, as of now. Every half hour or so, I get a freeze that makes me have to kill the process, and this has been widely reported by others on steam. The humor is great, if you’re a misogynist or 13-15 years old, otherwise it’s easily the most unfunny game I’ve ever played. Eg: there is an NPC named Binsc, with a giant miniature space hamster named Moo. An NPC says “I used to be an adventurer like you till I took an arow to the knee.” The bimbo elf says “why does everyone want to put their hands in my pockets.” The party leader says “all these girls are naked under their clothes! Oh no, must focus.”

However, the gameplay is pretty good, except there is a weird lag when you try to move, the keypresses are not always responsive, some of the stats and equipment don’t work or give the proper bonuses, and it’s very punishing- like a version of XCOM where you will miss or be dodged if your to-hit is lower than 75%, be dodged if lower than 85%, and every other attack is a critical fail where you heal the enemy and damage yourself. Also lots of typos and things not translated from French. (French dev team).

I’m a sucker for games like this, but play something else until it gets patched a few times. Fort triumph and the dark crystal tactics game are both better than this at the moment, and both of those are simply mediocre.

yeah this is right. the combat i find is actually a really good marriage of xcom and d&d-ish turn based combat and the comedy has a terminal case of eet eez not horny it is funny le honh honh french problems.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alamoduh posted:

I had a bad feeling that it was going to be that kind of humour from the trailer.

Still kind of tempted though if the actual combat/gameplay is good though...

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 22, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

K8.0 posted:

It's fun if you play it right, miserable if you just turn on armor and try to facetank the entire game. Also Warhead has much better gameplay than the original in some senses. If Crysis is a tactical stealth action game, Warhead is a "gently caress you bitch, I'm a god of destruction" game.

Yup, Warhead is the better game, as its level design lets you really go ham. There's a train level where you start at the back and work your way to the front...or you can just ignore all that, and beat the train to the objective by jumping off and super speeding through the forest.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I had a bad feeling that it was going to be that kind of humour from the trailer.

Still kind of tempted though if the actual combat/gameplay is good though...
The gameplay has a lot of problems currently. It is absolutely frustrating- not in an “that’s XCOM” way, but in a way that makes you think, “OK, I’ve got a 75% chance to hit. That means that it’s going to be a miss, get dodged, or have a critical failure and damage myself. Which sucks because I’m outnumbered 2-1, the enemies all have AoE’s while I have no good ones until maybe 25 hours in, and the enemies are going to do twice the damage that I do.” That’s on the normal default difficulty.

These are problems that can be sorted out with time, but currently make the game an unfun experience that I uninstalled after the third combat in a row where the game controls became unresponsive, forcing me to alt-F4.

If that sounds tempting, more power to you! Report back of you have a different experience. Otherwise, probably need to wait a few months on this one.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Stux posted:

The mistake is thinking there are only two tiers, when there are 3. Giant historically cross platform games that people expect should be available anywhere should be, or else you get a ton of griping and nowhere near enough sell through to compensate for the lost sales to exclusivity. That's where Minecraft is, it's almost certainly where TES is, it may or may not be where Fallout is. The next tier is big "interesting" games that have cachet and are big draws but not quite crossovers. Those are the ones you want as exclusives because they drive interest but are not quite enough to sell themselves. There are fewer lost sales than the behemoths but still enough wide interest to drive console sales and buy in into your ecosystem. Exclusives work together, so it's about having enough of these to get people to say "hey, look at all this interesting stuff we're missing out." The third tier is the games few people know or hear about, you can do what you want here. Sometimes it's best kept an exclusive as another drop in the bucket, sometimes it's best to go non-exclusive to get the wider audience, sometimes you might even go non-exclusive and then pull back on the sequels if it's a medium hit.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I thought the original Crysis was pretty cool. The first half was open in a way that games really weren't back then, and it had a lot of cool emergent elements as a result. Plus the different suit modes and variety of weapons gave you meaningful gameplay options.

Open world shooters have been done a million times now, but I have a soft spot for Crysis for doing a lot of that stuff before it was popular, and before Far Cry 3 would gameify so many of the elements that make open worlds interesting.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if I was putting out an incredibly popular game while trying to sell consoles I would make the game exclusive to my console

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if I was putting out an incredibly popular game while trying to sell consoles I would make the game exclusive to my console

What if you were only lukewarm on selling consoles?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't think Xbox is going to suddenly backpedal on their "no exclusives" marketing strategy they've been pushing for a while now

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if anybody wants to play gears of war 5 or sea of thieves with me later hit me up on psn. gametertag chizmack

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if anybody wants to play gears of war 5 or sea of thieves with me later hit me up on psn. gametertag chizmack

lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why can't I play Halo on my nintendo switch?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Exclusive. Noun. An item or story published or broadcast by only one source. By virtue of being on both Xbox and PC, none of their games are exclusive.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 22, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Leal posted:

nintendo 2020 saw the progression of cortana titty across the halo games and said "not enough"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDPuGbLQjf8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Me: I want to play Halo on my smartphone.
Mom: We have Halo at home.

At home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmAT6tXoJOM&t=21s
(should start 20 seconds in)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of Dawn of War 2, anyone else have audio issues? Gunshots are stupid loud and voices extremely quiet. It also sounds as if the game music was low bitrate or something and no amount of option fiddling seems to change that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think Xbox is going to suddenly backpedal on their "no exclusives" marketing strategy they've been pushing for a while now

But they always do exclusives, just that they include PC, which makes sense given Microsoft.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

aaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaargh my back

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GhostDog posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaargh my back

♫ breaking my back just to play your game ♪

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DuckTales remastered is on sale for $3.75. If you have nostalgia for the NES game, it’s well worth it at that price.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They're probably going to be Xbox console exclusive (note the console qualifier there pedants :smug:) but they're the underdog trying weird things. Exclusives don't really feel like why the 360 or PS4 won their generation specifically. More those were just the easiest places to play games. That seems to be the goal for the Xbox this generation so I also won't be surprised if they use the studios to create games with the marquee features like PC cloud saves and streaming to PCs and Windows tablets with a timed exclusivity window where the same game is released without that stuff on a Playstation eventually.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How's Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? Just came out on steam after the epic exclusive year and it's way cheaper for me there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's good but it's still got that mile-wide-and-inch-deep problem that seems to plague every space game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

They're probably going to be Xbox console exclusive (note the console qualifier there pedants :smug:) but they're the underdog trying weird things. Exclusives don't really feel like why the 360 or PS4 won their generation specifically. More those were just the easiest places to play games. That seems to be the goal for the Xbox this generation so I also won't be surprised if they use the studios to create games with the marquee features like PC cloud saves and streaming to PCs and Windows tablets with a timed exclusivity window where the same game is released without that stuff on a Playstation eventually.

a lot of the best selling ps4 titles are ps4 exclusives. the 360 is more complicated because in the end it was third place, ps3 ended up overtaking it... because sony ramped up making ps3 titles while microsoft spent multiple years just making kinect games.

i dont think microsoft can be called an underdog in any market they enter given their size.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

It's good but it's still got that mile-wide-and-inch-deep problem that seems to plague every space game.

Eh, good enough to scratch the itch until I move on I guess.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
As much as I liked Rebel Galaxy, I never really got very far and always end up dropping it before leaving the first area.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordhau seems cool but I'm real bad at it and have already run into my fair share of assholes calling me, a level 2, a noob. I'm still under 2 hours, not sure if I'm going to hang onto it yet. I don't really see myself getting any better at this if everyone's already god-tier and I don't stand a chance in any encounter.

Edit: Eh, yeah refunded. I want to dig this but just see myself getting frustrated enough to quit before I can git gud enough to not die instantly.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 22, 2020

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Microsoft wants to push Gamepass subscriptions more than they want to push Xboxes specifically. I bet when the new Elder Scrolls is released it will be sold as "Play ES6 for 'free' right away with your Gamepass subscription! Or buy a copy for $70 on Steam, Playstation, or Switch!" No need to make it exclusive because there will still be a compelling reason for people to use the MS service over the others but you also don't alienate Sony fans or whatever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Factorio: will the third time be the charm? I'm on the path to a rocket, again. Taking it one step at a time, and not minding super inefficient belt systems.

Glass Masquerade 2: man this is such a step down from the first game. the art isn't as fun, the theming is stupidly pretentious, and I'm... going to finish it all aren't I :sigh:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This game showed up as a Daily Deal and it looks like Mount and Blade meets Dynasty Warriors meets RTS? Anyone try it yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1094520/_Sands_of_Salzaar/

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Glass Masquerade 2: man this is such a step down from the first game. the art isn't as fun, the theming is stupidly pretentious, and I'm... going to finish it all aren't I :sigh:

It's less of a step down and more a step sideways. Picking up pieces and rotating those wheels is still unnecessarily cumbersome. The UI still feels like style over substance because of this. Besides, I don't even know what sort of theming they wanted to go with here. It's like they are trying to tell a story, but they aren't?

The first game reminded me of Microsoft's Pandora's Box (someone make a spiritual sequel already!), and I thought the second game would try to move into more elaborate puzzling. There was a ton of potential, lots of room to improve this series by leaps and bounds.

Yet somehow they've managed to not only fail to fix the first game's flaws, they've magnified them. They've even crushed the colour palette into something ranging from purple to blue with occasional splotches of other colours here and there.

In short: Have you ever seen a stained glass window that is so oddly put that you just can't tell what you're even looking at, no matter how hard you try? And when you look at the label underneath, hoping for some kind of explanation, you instead find a silly poem? This is Glass Masquerade 2.

Maybe I'm being too mean to this game. It's not bad. But it's also a bit disappointing.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blattdorf posted:

It's less of a step down and more a step sideways. Picking up pieces and rotating those wheels is still unnecessarily cumbersome. The UI still feels like style over substance because of this. Besides, I don't even know what sort of theming they wanted to go with here. It's like they are trying to tell a story, but they aren't?

The first game reminded me of Microsoft's Pandora's Box (someone make a spiritual sequel already!), and I thought the second game would try to move into more elaborate puzzling. Somehow they've managed to not only fail to fix the first game's flaws, they've magnified them. They've even crushed the colour palette into something ranging from purple to blue with occasional splotches of other colours here and there.

In short: Have you ever seen a stained glass window that is so oddly put that you just can't tell what you're even looking at, no matter how hard you try? And when you look at the label underneath, hoping for some kind of explanation, you instead find a silly poem? This is Glass Masquerade 2.

Maybe I'm being too mean to this game. It's not bad. But it's also a bit disappointing.

I agree with all of this but my brain says :byodood: PUZZLES! :byodood: and I keep playing regardless.