Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Since I can't find a Joe Hill thread I'll keep talking about him here, as he is son of King.

I'm reading his bibliography in chronological order and while 20th Century Ghosts was a fantastic anthology; Heart Shaped Box is almost daring me to continue reading it. I'm about a third through, but it's like my Kindle weighs 40lbs every time I try to read more. It's just so...meh. I know Hill can write a good novel (read NOS4A2 last year and loved it). This being his first full length outing, it almost seems like he feels he has something to prove. I hope it takes a turn, because it's just not really there.

Finally finished Heart Shaped Box yesterday. drat what an awful book. Holy poo poo. It meanders and stumbles and stalls and then it just ends in the dumbest way possible.

Took a break from Joe Hill to knock out Max Booth III's We Have To Do Something; which was a fun short read. Max Booth is ok at doing creepy but shallow reading.

Then I started The Fireman, which is fine so far. I finished the first part, and am intrigued. It has good momentum. Let's see if it blew all it's steam in the first quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm 10 years late to the party but I had an old book voucher from last Christmas and needed something new to read so I picked up Under the Dome. I never watched the show and I've only got a vague idea as to the premise but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Octy posted:

I'm 10 years late to the party but I had an old book voucher from last Christmas and needed something new to read so I picked up Under the Dome. I never watched the show and I've only got a vague idea as to the premise but I'm looking forward to reading it.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, I powered through it in like two days. I haven’t read it since, but that’s more because it’s a door stopper and I don’t really go back and reread 1000 page books that aren’t The Stand.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I liked it a lot too. Enjoy!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd forgotten how annoying it is the way King tells you way ahead of time when a character is going to die...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Octy posted:

I'd forgotten how annoying it is the way King tells you way ahead of time when a character is going to die...

That’s called foreshadowing you buffoon. You cretin. You utter clod.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/toomuchhorror/status/1308126336435724289?s=20

https://twitter.com/toomuchhorror/status/1308179158892032001?s=20

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Octy posted:

Yeah I prefer he leaves it open.

“And that was the last time they ever kissed...”

Actually I hate that too, it’s a poo poo technique

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I hate those 2000s ones. I have a lot of the old ones but they're falling apart, especially Carrie and Firestarter.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Normally I don’t bitch much but those covers really are complete poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Normally I don’t bitch much but those covers really are complete poo poo.

I had only ever seen one or two of these in stores and thought they were hideous. I started reading King in the early 2000’s and had those ones with black covers with a story-relevant object in like a photo negative coloration type thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I love these and I almost posted the Pet Sematary one in this very thread last week.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

i have the salems lot one, i like it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

i have the salems lot one, i like it

Why is she yelling a thought bubble though?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why is she yelling a thought bubble though?

i dunno but the print quality is really good and the colors are vivid

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Stand original cover is still my favorite cover. I remember seeing my mother’s hardcover as young child and being fascinated that is looked like Luke Skywalker on the cover (this was like 1980 and as a 7/8 year old Star Wars was life).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Looking at crop of a thumbnail I didn't think those covers looked all that bad, but then at full size those look like garbage.

I was always partial to Cujo's 1st print cover.

Also, Firestarter seems like a kind of forgotten book. I never hear anyone mention it. Has it not aged well? I read it in High School and never looked at it again.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Just finished Cell out of curiosity and yeah that poo poo sucked but the author bio made me lol. "Stephen King lives in Maine with his wife, Tabitha. He does not own a cell phone." OH WORD STEVE??? DO YOU THINK THESE KIDS TODAY AND THEIR DANG CELL PHONES ARE STUPID AND THAT EVERYONE SHOULD JUST GO BACK TO USING ROTARY PHONES AND ATTENDING SOCK HOPS BECAUSE ABSOLUTELY NO ONE COULD TELL

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You don't think maybe that's a joke referencing the book it's in?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Octy posted:

iirc he does it an awful lot in Duma Key and it almost felt like a willful attempt not to write by the seat of his pants

"just stick to the outline, stick to the outline, stick to the outline..." *character suddenly turns out to be a jive-talking ventriloquist* "ahhh god dammit"

i have made close to this exact post already and i'll probably make it again! i will never let the ventriloquism poo poo go!!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, the forshadowing was very strong in Duma Key, but it didn't spoil the book for me - it's one of my favourite modern Kings.

In other news, I think I'll be going back the UK (from the desert) in 6 or 7 months. When I left the UK, 20 years ago, I stored about 6-8 boxes of books in a family member's attic. And I can';t for the life of me remember what. There are certainly some King 1st eds there, and some interesting other bits (I think there's a copy of Nightmares In The Sky there, for example.) Looking forward to getting home, and sorting out all my fiction.

Sorting it all by spine colour.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

The Stand original cover is still my favorite cover. I remember seeing my mother’s hardcover as young child and being fascinated that is looked like Luke Skywalker on the cover (this was like 1980 and as a 7/8 year old Star Wars was life).

I have that one and the 80's Pet Semetary paperback and they're some of my favorite covers in my collection, they're both really distinctive.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Looking at crop of a thumbnail I didn't think those covers looked all that bad, but then at full size those look like garbage.

Also, Firestarter seems like a kind of forgotten book. I never hear anyone mention it. Has it not aged well? I read it in High School and never looked at it again.

firestarter rules

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

firestarter rules

It absolutely does. The pacing is a bit all over the place but it’s short enough that it works in its favor instead of having the slower parts have no end in sight (like Tommyknockers).

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

These are my most beat up King books, probably the most beat books I own. Some of these were originally my mother's and are pretty old. Different Seasons' cover is basically not even attached to it anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Berzerker posted:

These are my most beat up King books, probably the most beat books I own. Some of these were originally my mother's and are pretty old. Different Seasons' cover is basically not even attached to it anymore.

That Misery cover is stellar.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just finished it for the first time a month or so ago and thought it was solid. I feel like nothing TOO crazy happens compared to other his books (for better or worse) so maybe that's not why it's usually brought up as often.

I finished it right around playing the original Last of Us, which had similar vibes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Beat up books with covers not attached anymore, you say?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nice. Yeah, when I picked up Pet Sematary about a third of it fell out. Might be time to glue it, but honestly when I re-read old King books I usually do it on my ereader these days anyway. My Bachman Books is not as beat as yours, I have this cover

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The only King book I have that's falling apart on me is my revised copy of The Stand that I got for cheap at a flea market like 15 years ago.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It absolutely does. The pacing is a bit all over the place but it’s short enough that it works in its favor instead of having the slower parts have no end in sight (like Tommyknockers).

it has one of his best endings, as well

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Salem's Lot is one of my favorite King endings, but upon a reread that became one of my favorite King books overall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tattered first edition club represents. In addition to a Garfield bookmark that probably hasn’t been exposed to light for 30+ years.

I found a copy of Full Dark No Stars in my bookcase that I never read. Is it any good?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Krispy Wafer posted:

Tattered first edition club represents. In addition to a Garfield bookmark that probably hasn’t been exposed to light for 30+ years.

I found a copy of Full Dark No Stars in my bookcase that I never read. Is it any good?

Yep that is the cover for I was talking about (you can see how a 8 year old would go that is Luke Skywalker). I have that edition sadly minus the cover.

bobjr posted:

Salem's Lot is one of my favorite King endings, but upon a reread that became one of my favorite King books overall.

Agreed. I have read Salem’s Lot more than any book in my life (10+ times). Going to reread it for Halloween next month.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Firestarter is great, even if it's not straight up and down horror like most people expect. Seems to me like the core ideas it contains have been expanded on so much (or the book itself badly adapted) that it's just not remarked upon as much as the other peak era King stuff. Which is unfortunate because despite some of it aging badly overall the book is among his best. I reread it recently, you could certainly do worse. I'd say that a new remake would be likely but Stranger Things is already filling that space for now.

Speaking of, it seems like King just dropped The Shop as a plot device after the Tommyknockers, right? I can't remember any references to it in his later stuff. Also on a recent reread of Tommyknockers I realized a couple of things:

- the book would work way better if you chopped off the first 25-30%
- King takes some of the ideas presented therein - psychic galley slaves, leylines of galactic force as fate mechanisms, etc - and rolls them into the Dark Tower series

Which makes it even more unfortunate that he basically disavows TKs now.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Man I love that cover.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It really is the best cover. Especially because it’s not literal and makes no sense. And yeah, he’s wearing a tunic/rob and holding a sword. Total Luke Skywalker vibes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

- the book would work way better if you chopped off the first 25-30%
- King takes some of the ideas presented therein - psychic galley slaves, leylines of galactic force as fate mechanisms, etc - and rolls them into the Dark Tower series

Which makes it even more unfortunate that he basically disavows TKs now.

Tommyknockers is basically half of a good book buried inside an entire bad book. It needs to get chopped down by about 4-5 hundred pages and then have 2-3 hundred pages added to it.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

First and last stories are very good. Especially the last one, because it doesn't rely on any supernatural bollocks.

The very short story in there made me feel a bit nauseous. Can't remember much about the other one.

I have a Long Walk question. Is it mentioned anywhere how far they walked? Reason is I've started reading about ultramarathons and am wondering if covering 4 mph for x miles is actually feasible. That's a bloody fast walk though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think at some point it mentions they’ve passed 80 miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gambrinus posted:

First and last stories are very good. Especially the last one, because it doesn't rely on any supernatural bollocks.

The very short story in there made me feel a bit nauseous. Can't remember much about the other one.

I have a Long Walk question. Is it mentioned anywhere how far they walked? Reason is I've started reading about ultramarathons and am wondering if covering 4 mph for x miles is actually feasible. That's a bloody fast walk though.

I think it was around 400, don’t they end up in Massachusetts?