Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I just want to personally thank BMW for making the new M3 ugly so I’m not tempted to order one after finally paying off my 2016 F80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Will they be putting the new grille on all their cars over time? I love that m3 from the back 180 degree viewing angles but man, it's a hard no because of that front.

Waste of potential

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I keep asking Bimmerpost to add a poll by age of who actually likes that front end. Apparently the under-35 crowd of what I'd call non-BMW-enthusiasts WANTED SOMETHING MORE BOLD TO LET EVERYONE KNOW from miles away WHAT CAR IT IS LIKE AN AUDI! Please check me out on Instagram!

:getoffmylawn: :argh:

..also still say it's loving GONE in 3 years and it won't show up on the other cars. please

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dogg have u seen like the X7 and such

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Its not as bad as the Bangle era... right? RIGHT???

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Its not as bad as the Bangle era... right? RIGHT???

The difference between the bangle era and now is that everyone I feel like copied the bangle stuff after it was released, and now BMW is copying the big grille stuff

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think you've got a point there.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Keyser_Soze posted:

I keep asking Bimmerpost to add a poll by age of who actually likes that front end. Apparently the under-35 crowd of what I'd call non-BMW-enthusiasts WANTED SOMETHING MORE BOLD TO LET EVERYONE KNOW from miles away WHAT CAR IT IS LIKE AN AUDI! Please check me out on Instagram!

:getoffmylawn: :argh:

..also still say it's loving GONE in 3 years and it won't show up on the other cars. please

I am 30 and think it's atrocious? If you could swap on the regular g20 front end on it would improve it in every way

So I don't know what you got about young people because also the people actually buying/leasing them new are all olds.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It sucks rear end

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I can’t help feel the front end wouldn’t look quite so awful if the grille slats were vertical instead of horizontal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

It sucks rear end

100% front to back top to bottom

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TheBacon posted:

I am 30 and think it's atrocious? If you could swap on the regular g20 front end on it would improve it in every way

So I don't know what you got about young people because also the people actually buying/leasing them new are all olds.

you are an enthusiast as is everyone in here!

It seemed to me that the people on Bimmerpost that flat out stated they wanted BOLD and liked it - were younger.....and not "BMW enthusiasts" or long term owners, just tech/real estate "bros" etc who turn and burn leases and don't chase down E30/E36/E46 to drop LS2's in!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Im 30 and an actual car designer and it makes me so sad that this is what people apparently like lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The median age of a new BMW buyer is like 48 - where's this claim coming from that it's designed to appeal to the Youths buying an $80k car?

I read that it's designed like this to sell well in China, which again, no idea if that's at all true.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I think it’s designed to appeal to the gram more than actual buyers of brand new M cars

I remember hating the E9X when it launched (I had a secondhand E46 M3 at the time) but the design grew on me over the years

Not sure this one will

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
I wonder if anyone will make decent quality replacement bumpers with a half-height grille. I could see someone buying a new M car just having that awful maw swapped out at the body shop while having paint correction and protection done.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Its a fat turbo car, I'm guessing they need the airflow

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The new M2 doesn't have the horrible grille, this cementing its status as the best M car and best BMW

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Its a fat turbo car, I'm guessing they need the airflow

A lot of it will be blanked off and there will be a massive bumper bar and sensor array and poo poo sat behind it I bet

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

rscott posted:

The new M2 doesn't have the horrible grille, this cementing its status as the best M car and best BMW

The 2023+ one?? drat, I was hoping they'd ruin it too and I'd get to achieve the coveted Last Good One status on my '19

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The median age of a new BMW buyer is like 48 - where's this claim coming from that it's designed to appeal to the Youths buying an $80k car?

I read that it's designed like this to sell well in China, which again, no idea if that's at all true.

Overall 48 sure, but that includes over 50 farts like me with a 5 series, etc.

BMW didn't just make this "BOLD" design up and hope people adopt, some lucrative "target market" wanted it because they hated BORING 3 sausages, different lengths.
These people are also going to be leasing them for $820/month, not buying.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Posting this from my garage as I stare at my e46 M3 contemplating never driving it again so that it will be eternally preserved as The Last Real M3

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

A lot of it will be blanked off and there will be a massive bumper bar and sensor array and poo poo sat behind it I bet

:smith:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

It sucks rear end

BraveUlysses posted:

100% front to back top to bottom

Bape Culture posted:

Im 30 and an actual car designer and it makes me so sad that this is what people apparently like lol
I'm not 30 and not an actual car designer but yeah, most people outside of this thread have god-awful taste in cars.

Popete posted:

Posting this from my garage as I stare at my e46 M3 contemplating never driving it again so that it will be eternally preserved as The Last Real M3
Bad news! They made an M3 after yours that has 46 additional E's, a monstrously great NA V8 and is The Actual Last Real M3

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The m performance press pics have just come out

Hahahahaahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahaahhaaha

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760118

it's so EDGY and BOLD! Please notice me from behind too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuTtDaDIydQ

found the target demographic

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 23, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't like it

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
BMW Type ///Mugen

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bape Culture posted:

It's in the first couple of seconds, iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTsK7oXsjg

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 23, 2020

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Maybe it's just me, but this car just doesn't look special.

Um excuse me it has a fender vent

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

found the target demographic

Yeah, like they can afford it.

I guess I’ll take the 1,000hp M5 instead when that comes out in a couple of years

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A 2021 M5c once it comes off lease seems like a decent used pickup

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
At this point I'd probably replace my F80 with an M2C if it ever came around to that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still desperately want an e90m3 but being unemployed sucks a whole lot

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how about a good palette cleanser? kubika flogging the gently caress out of an m4 on the ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCIEjdzvCk

god drat look at him fly through flugplatz like it aint no thang

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Maybe it's just me, but this car just doesn't look special.

Looks like a Honda Accord from the back to me

For brand awareness, the front is certainly distinctive, especially in countries where imported brands are extremely expensive, helps get the point across that you have more money than everybody else, which I'm guessing, is the actual point

I'm sure it'll look especially ridiculous in dark tint gold paint or whatever in some music video that gets exported to 5 billion people and everyone under 18 will want to buy one when they're 25-30

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

how about a good palette cleanser? kubika flogging the gently caress out of an m4 on the ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCIEjdzvCk

god drat look at him fly through flugplatz like it aint no thang

Got drat

He hits the Foxhole at about 120 while mildly chatting. I'm quick-ish on a track, I'm faster than most on the 'Ring in sims, but (even middle-tier) F1 guys are just so insanely leveled it's not even funny.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's in the first couple of seconds, iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTsK7oXsjg

About 1/3rd of that is blanked still though. The entire plate area and surround is.

I’m quite surprised they’ve made a cooling pack that sits in front of the bumper bar though unless there is something inside the bumper load out itself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There must be something inside the bumper itself, can't figure out why you would do it that way otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone fixed the new BMW.