Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ephori posted:

Sand worms!!

:neckbeard:

Sand worms were no joke!- Chris Roberts circa 2016 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Excellent, I needed to start a new game.

Space jellies! :3:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think this one is big enough to warrant a new game. My old one was getting really stale anyway. Patch looks amazing!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Where's my loving oranges. Also this is a 'small step'??

Love the idea of the black market traders just setting up shop on a planet surface, more alien interactions like that please. Also giant flying rhinosaurus beetles! And Horizon Zero Dawn knock-off robot fauna!

Honestly what a developer, they must have hit the same consistent revenue stream that Concerned Ape has got with Stardew Valley. Just keep providing consistent updates for free, creating free advertising and repeatedly hitting whatever tipping points people have where they finally decide to dive in.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
More vibrant colors has me so excited, I really missed the vibrancy with the color scheme of the launch NMS.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sand worms were no joke!- Chris Roberts circa 2016 or whatever

Sean has a short interview on this latest patch out (you can find it on twitter) and he talks about the Sandworms, saying they had them in the original game trailer, and everyone thinks, "oh cool, sandworms!" but its not very awesome when you spend hundreds of hours playing the game and a sandworm comes outta nowhere and eats you and your whole base.

So I guess they fixed that somehow or something.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
This is what I wanted and more! I need to wish for more unrealistic things.

But I think they changed the terrain on the planet I was on. No more pretty crystals sticking out of the water for me :( That's okay, I think I'm about ready to start this over again and wander around some more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Sean has a short interview on this latest patch out (you can find it on twitter) and he talks about the Sandworms, saying they had them in the original game trailer, and everyone thinks, "oh cool, sandworms!" but its not very awesome when you spend hundreds of hours playing the game and a sandworm comes outta nowhere and eats you and your whole base.

So I guess they fixed that somehow or something.

if a sandworm eats your base the sandworms becomes your base :getin:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The daily Nexus quicksilver mission takes you to a sandworm planet, if anyone wants to check one out.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Aw man, my planet that had constant firestorms now has constant radiation storms instead.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Since they work like ships now, can you scrap multi-tools in addition to upgrading/expanding them? Would like to finally get rid of my starter tool + accidental purchase from early on

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Do buildings/NPCs spawn on glass planets and planets like that now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

poo poo, missed it was post last page.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Excited to check out all the new stuff, this is way more than I expected!

The mining nerf is a bit of a bummer, though. My activated indium farm that was making 500 million every 16 hours now appears to make 500 million every 106 hours instead. I may have to go back to making fusion igniters, assuming they didn't screw with that crafting tree too much. Or just set up 2 or 3 more indium farms in other places.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 23, 2020

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Loving the new update! Glad they finally started adding more variety to things.

Edit: It looks even cooler at night

Solvency fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 23, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

StarkRavingMad posted:

Excited to check out all the new stuff, this is way more than I expected!

The mining nerf is a bit of a bummer, though. My activated indium farm that was making 500 million every 16 hours now appears to make 500 million every 106 hours instead. I may have to go back to making fusion igniters, assuming they didn't screw with that crafting tree too much. Or just set up 2 or 3 more indium farms in other places.

is cash even a concern once you've got like $2B in the bank?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Cash isn't a concern well before that point. A true case of science fiction fantasy dreamland, it turns out once you've made a single decent (not even large) effort into resource extraction of a virgin unspoiled wilderness you have all the money you'll ever need and any further resource extraction and money collection is just about making a number go up.

I like it when the number goes up, though!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Oh wow, that sounds almost too good to be true!

It's out already even?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

All the changes and additions sound great!

But everything that actually changed on my cool homebase planet sucks :D Well, the new animal life is an improvement over what had been there, but the plant life and lighting are objectively ugly. So long, beautiful permanent sunset world. But it's a small price to pay to get rid of portal interference.

Oh well, I was looking for an excuse to jump over to my galaxy 256 outpost and start exploring over there anyway.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Not really, especially since there is a credit cap at like 4.3B. The only time cash is a concern for me is when I find a new ship that looks cool but needs a lot of improvement, and that takes a shitload of credits for upgrading inventory spots and flipping ships for nanites. So it is nice to have quick cash generation on hand for when that happens.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Not really, especially since there is a credit cap at like 4.3B. The only time cash is a concern for me is when I find a new ship that looks cool but needs a lot of improvement, and that takes a shitload of credits for upgrading inventory spots and flipping ships for nanites. So it is nice to have quick cash generation on hand for when that happens.

I did not know this, as I had only hit about 3.5b

The maximum number of units that a player can accrue is 4,294,967,295 (approx 4.3 billion) after which the number will not rise any further (but not wrap around to zero).

But now I have something to shoot for while checking out the new update!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Solvency posted:

Loving the new update! Glad they finally started adding more variety to things.

Edit: It looks even cooler at night

TESTICLE TREES TESTICLE TREEEES

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You have weird testicles

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Trying to play on pc game pass and getting stuck on the title screen with Press Left Mouse Button to begin. I click and it makes a sound but doesn't do anything, anybody else having this issue? Already tried reinstalling.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there a secret to not initially starting on a planet that kills you withing a couple of minutes. So far I've died of radiation poisoning and cold while trying to get my bearings. Not a great new player experience.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You might have to hold it instead of just pressing it? The game is sometimes not great at communicating that a button needs to be held for a second or two.

e: starting on a hostile environment planet is deliberate to teach you the mechanics. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Party Boat posted:

You might have to hold it instead of just pressing it? The game is sometimes not great at communicating that a button needs to be held for a second or two.

Yea tried that too, makes a different noise but nothing else.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Welp I guess it's not for me then. Dying 3 times in a row to mechanics that haven't yet been described to me seems pretty dumb.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Trip report on the Cobalt flipping scheme: It's completely dead. I sold 20k for 200 units each and the market price decreased to 201. When it worked that was good starting capital before you get the stuff to start mining resources and doing the other things that give you space billionaire money.

Also went down to check out my main (first) base. The trees on my frozen planet were completely different and there was a new mineral. Both were right in my base area but at least the ground level didn't change. Also, I was producing 1200kps energy and using 200-300 but somehow my base had no power. I started to delete a wire somewhere to try and charge up my batteries and suddenly it worked everywhere. I'm not sure what that was about. The trees were an improvement on what I had before at least. I didn't have time to take off and see if my system got the extra planets in it.

Save up your nanites, upgrading the multitool is expensive. To go to S-class from my A-class would be 50,000 nanites.

Later tonight I'm going to see if the emergency broadcast receiver in the personal refiner trick still works.

The new teleporter interface is nice. I'm still holding out hope that one of these days I can teleport to my freighter.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Well-timed from a marketing perspective - put out a big release with the game on sale right before GamePass goes up to 10$ / month.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Happy Hedonist posted:

Welp I guess it's not for me then. Dying 3 times in a row to mechanics that haven't yet been described to me seems pretty dumb.

But... the game is literally explaining the mechanics and what to do to you when you start? "Hey your hazard protection is low, scan for the stuff that refills it it" "whoops it's broken collect these things to fix it" "okay cool now press these buttons to fix it" "it's fixed, scan for the stuff now" "okay you found some sodium, now press these buttons to refill your hazard protection" like, I'm not sure how much more explicit you need the game to describe its mechanics to you.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Shawon Dunston posted:

But... the game is literally explaining the mechanics and what to do to you when you start? "Hey your hazard protection is low, scan for the the thing that refills it it" "whoops it's broken here's how you fix it" "it's fixed, scan for the stuff now" etc etc

It would be nice if it told you to hide in a nearby cave or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How’s the new LOD and pop in stuff? Should I still use the Fine LOD mod?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I have never died once in this game, not even sure what happens if you do.

There's a bit of a learning curve for sure but it's really not a punishing game at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a badly designed tutorial, but they forced it to be like that once they committed to choosing a random planet and adapting to what's found there. A properly designed tutorial would probably use a fixed seed world (if not a fully handcrafted environment) with an ideal environment and mess with the scripting so the world better meshes with what you should be learning. Like, make it a non-hazard planet so you don't die just by standing around. Or disable the life support countdown until it's ready to teach you about it. Put a nav point in a cave to make the player go in there, then trigger a storm so you can show them that staying in there until it's over is good. Then some atlas fuckery happens and you get moved to a random planet with your ship.

There's a bit of a learning curve for sure but it's really not a punishing game at all.

On normal mode, you respawn with an empty suit inventory and go pick up your corpse to recover your items. On Survival, you respawn but cannot recover your inventory. On permadeath, your save is erased.

In all cases you get a free quote from a prominent sci-fi author or scientist.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 23, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Happy Hedonist posted:

Did you accidentally turn on survival mode?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Sounds like someone's never installed the plasma launcher/geology cannon. Playing with M+KB I've laid my stupidity bare multiple times in this game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

chaosapiant posted:

How’s the new LOD and pop in stuff? Should I still use the Fine LOD mod?

Draw distance seems improved if you turn planet detail to ultra but there's still some pop in in places if you dash around too fast. Will mods need to be updated to work with Origins? It seems like quite a lot got changed under the hood.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Apparently really asymmetric ships are a thing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I thought it endearingly honest that there's pop-in in the drat update trailer.