Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Broken Cog posted:

And as I've said earlier in this thread. Giving your secondary heirs a duchy usually keeps them complacent.

I gave him a dutchy. He still got my other county and the three counties in the duchy I gave.

And being a tribe is hard as nails if you take into account that you can't get above a certain size or it starts actually chopping up your nation when you die. I know many people play "as the character" but I don't, I'm the country and losing territory is basically "Might as well not play" levels for me really.
I kinda feel like becoming Feudal should be rewarded more than it currently is. I basically want to be able to shed Confederate Partition as early as you can in CK2, instead of it taking hundreds of years.

That said I only want to get rid of it so I can actually hold onto more than one county since it's such a HUGE part of how strong you actually are. My enormous empire gives me about 3 gold and my personal demense of one county gives me 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

I know many people play "as the character" but I don't, I'm the country and losing territory is basically "Might as well not play" levels for me really.

Maybe there's an immortal mod out there? Or you could just like, use console commands to give yourself territory

Gort fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 23, 2020

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks. How do you activate debug/console in CK3?

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands this link has it for all the platforms, but for steam you right click on the game, general, set launch options, then type in -debug_mode. Once you're in the game you hit ` to open the console up.

Gort posted:

Maybe there's an immortal mod out there?

There totally is, I saw it on the steam workshop. Warning though: you're REALLY going to want your immortal ruler to stop loving at some point. I was messing around with a hacked king who had like 1000% health boost who died at 160-something and the game could barely handle it, moved slower than late game CK2 at it's worst. Crashed immediately if I tried to look at my dynasty tree.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 23, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

I gave him a dutchy. He still got my other county and the three counties in the duchy I gave.

And being a tribe is hard as nails if you take into account that you can't get above a certain size or it starts actually chopping up your nation when you die. I know many people play "as the character" but I don't, I'm the country and losing territory is basically "Might as well not play" levels for me really.
I kinda feel like becoming Feudal should be rewarded more than it currently is. I basically want to be able to shed Confederate Partition as early as you can in CK2, instead of it taking hundreds of years.

That said I only want to get rid of it so I can actually hold onto more than one county since it's such a HUGE part of how strong you actually are. My enormous empire gives me about 3 gold and my personal demense of one county gives me 8.

Did you have a second duchy? Usually how it works is my primary heir will inherit my primary duchy and all the counties within, as long as I have a second duchy for my secondary heir to inherit, and I give every other heir a duchy. I just give my first heir a county in my primary duchy and my second heir a county in my secondary duchy and that works out fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eimi posted:

I do personally find the tech pace insane, but especially given you get bombards. Which to my knowledge didn't really become a thing until like the very end of the game. I'm sure my knowledge is lacking but the first time I remember them making a big splash was the final siege of Constantinople which was 1453, after the game ends.

There were loads of gunpowder weapons in use during the 100YW, both as siege guns and field guns, it just never gets talked about due to Longbow hype. Gunpower field cannons were a very big deal at Crecy in 1346. The final battle of the wars, Castillon, was primarily an artillery affair, although again it does take place a few months after the end of the game.

But yeah having bombards fully available in the early-mid 1200s is too early. You probably shouldn't get them until the 1350s at least, maybe another gated era at 1400 where that stuff started becoming more common would be a good idea.

shut up blegum posted:

Can you inherit MAA? I suddenly have like 3 regiments I didn't create. Pretty weird.

You do, yeah.

Magil Zeal posted:

Did you have a second duchy? Usually how it works is my primary heir will inherit my primary duchy and all the counties within, as long as I have a second duchy for my secondary heir to inherit, and I give every other heir a duchy. I just give my first heir a county in my primary duchy and my second heir a county in my secondary duchy and that works out fine.

Depending on how many kids you have I've also had good luck with giving them counties, but holding the duchy titles until I die. Then the partition will only give them the duchy title and no additional counties.

Just to reiterate, for anyone struggling with this, make sure you're checking the Succession Tab under realm. It's really useful.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 23, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks. How do you activate debug/console in CK3?

The Internet will tell you to go into Steam properties for the game and add -debug_mode to the launch options, but that 100% did not work for me.

Instead, I had to make a shortcut to the actual game exe (which is in steamapps/common/Crusader Kings 3/binaries) and add the -debug_mode flag to the end of the Target section in the shortcut's properties, then run the game using that.

Once one or the other of those works for you, it's the standard tilde (`) key to open the console and the usual command syntaxes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Depending on how many kids you have I've also had good luck with giving them counties, but holding the duchy titles until I die. Then the partition will only give them the duchy title and no additional counties.

Just to reiterate, for anyone struggling with this, make sure you're checking the Succession Tab under realm. It's really useful.

My experience is that if someone other than the primary/secondary heir has a duchy title they inherit nothing, which is really convenient. At least, if I only have two duchies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's also a workshop mod that I can't link right now because I'm at work that makes it so all you have to do is hit F11 and it will activate/deactivate the console.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Turns out seniority succession is a real trap if you get an heir with a culture that doesn't have heraldry. I got bumped back to partition, but for some reason the game thought that I no longer had any living dynasty members. Since I was using seniority, my heir was in her seventies, and I didn't have time to switch culture and change back in time. Might have to go back a couple of saves and do some judicious murders.

Also I really wish dynasty head status would update more quickly on succession, it's a real pain when some loser duke who's temporarily gotten a taste of power uses their hook to force you to lower their obligations.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 23, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

PittTheElder posted:

But yeah having bombards fully available in the early-mid 1200s is too early.

Actual medieval kingdoms did not concentrate heavily on education and development for generations. If you do in CK3 you surely should get anachronistic results.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Do you mostly/always wanna go with a lifestyle based on your education, or is it not that important?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Koramei posted:

Do you mostly/always wanna go with a lifestyle based on your education, or is it not that important?

Depends on the situation. There are a lot of REALLY powerful perks that are just one deep so it can be useful to hop around. For example the dread/control and cheaper war costs in Military, befriend scheme in diplomacy, cash for hooks in stewardship.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Whole of body is a great tree to go on as well, even if you have no learning education.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On a side note, if you're going into Stewardship just for Golden Obligations, you'll almost certainly have time to get two perks before you can swap to something different, and the Extort Subjects decision is pretty good for a 2nd pick.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Taear posted:

I know many people play "as the character" but I don't, I'm the country and losing territory is basically "Might as well not play" levels for me really.

As a feudal you can have fun by bee lining a king title and then making sure all of your kingdoms have the same succession law (I like tanistry but I’m sure Scandinavian election or Saxon election could work). Keeps the top titles intact and then each new king grows their own domain.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I almost always dip into 1) the right hand diplomacy tree down to the perk that gives you stress reduction from friends and 2) the left hand learning tree down to the perk that gives you a warning when you are a year away from dying. Both are super useful and a pretty light investment of perks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Apropos of nothing, I really hope the ability to mod in music gets expanded. It sucks you have no control of volume and everything is only ambient music, with no way to flag it to play for specific situations or culture groups. Totally listening to the ck2 ost again and I would love to be able to rig things so that when you go to war you get to hear The Persian Army and stuff.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Koramei posted:

It's up to you, but I do like to specialize as much as possible because it helps make rulers feel different from each other.

That said, there are situations where Fabricate hooks is a practical necessity.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Any reason I can't call a great holy war any more? I had the option with my first few heretic popes but it seems to have disappeared now. I want to rip Constantinople out of the ERE's heart in the hopes of doing them some serious damage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think you need a certain level of fervor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is the option not even appearing or is it just not letting you choose it? If it's the later than hover over the little red exclamation point in a circle next to the GHW option: it will tell you what you're missing to be able to make the decision. Most likely you either don't have enough fervor or personal piety.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Eimi posted:

Apropos of nothing, I really hope the ability to mod in music gets expanded. It sucks you have no control of volume and everything is only ambient music, with no way to flag it to play for specific situations or culture groups. Totally listening to the ck2 ost again and I would love to be able to rig things so that when you go to war you get to hear The Persian Army and stuff.

Ironman Compatible: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2217692879&searchtext= - Pretty much the only mod I need for an Ironman run right now, when it plays after a rival dies in your dungeon? chef's kiss

Not Ironman Compatible: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473&searchtext= - This was fun for a while but definitely got stale. It was especially fun though, when I was at pure dread stage of an empire, with 10s of infidel prisoners, you can execute someone to change tracks.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I went with the stewardship tree because I wanted a ton of money to spend on buildings and MAA etc and I'm currently 390g in debt lol.
The perk that gets you money from hooks is cool though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

you can execute someone to change tracks.

lmao

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blimpkin posted:

Ironman Compatible: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2217692879&searchtext= - Pretty much the only mod I need for an Ironman run right now, when it plays after a rival dies in your dungeon? chef's kiss

Not Ironman Compatible: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473&searchtext= - This was fun for a while but definitely got stale. It was especially fun though, when I was at pure dread stage of an empire, with 10s of infidel prisoners, you can execute someone to change tracks.

Hmm, I'll look into the architecture on that, since my understanding is what I said. All the current ck2 music mods have this issue where they can just be set to ambient with the volume ludicrously high.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Eimi posted:

Hmm, I'll look into the architecture on that, since my understanding is what I said. All the current ck2 music mods have this issue where they can just be set to ambient with the volume ludicrously high.

Yeah I didn’t attempt to disprove you, I reread your post and realized you meant something else.

I didn’t feel like this was appreciably loud when I was using it though I do have a mixer and tend to be quiet overall

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Does anyone know the method by which historical character's stats and lifestyle perks are determined? Are they totally random (and so should I just re-start over and over until I get one I like) or semi-random?

Follow up: anyone got any advice for non-intrigue-y ways to get rid of Daurama's rear end in a top hat husband and idiot heir son so I can turn Hausaland into the rightful pagan matriarchy it was meant to be? Because my ideas were "murder them" which didn't work due to my 1 intrigue and "war for enough gold so that I can murder them" which was going okay until my husband murdered me first.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does anyone know the method by which historical character's stats and lifestyle perks are determined? Are they totally random (and so should I just re-start over and over until I get one I like) or semi-random?

Follow up: anyone got any advice for non-intrigue-y ways to get rid of Daurama's rear end in a top hat husband and idiot heir son so I can turn Hausaland into the rightful pagan matriarchy it was meant to be? Because my ideas were "murder them" which didn't work due to my 1 intrigue and "war for enough gold so that I can murder them" which was going okay until my husband murdered me first.

what I've done is expand in other directions and be opportunistic until my husband dies, then move in to consolidate his old holdings because by that point you will be strong enough to do so, so grab Kebbi, the duchy of Air and maybe some more and by that point he has several times gotten himself killed in a war that I of course join but don't actually help him with. I've tried a few games because I have made some really dumb mistakes down the line but it's a fun start!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

It would seem the # of perks depends on age, and where those perks are depends on the education trait but is otherwise random. If they have a diplomacy education, they'll be in the diplomacy lifestyle, but which tree and which perks seems random. Education traits seem set, at least for the characters I've tried so far, and probably for most well-known characters.

As for Daurama... I don't remember how I started that, but I do know I divorced her husband and then conquered him. This should be possible if you get a good alliance or conquer a county or two to start. I didn't even worry about the son because I used the event to swap to female preference inheritance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I haven't played this dumb game in weeks because it sorely needs a patch, but the most accurate breakdown of a ruler's army is in their portrait screen iirc. It will list any mercs there.

Yeah, that's it, I think, although it's not perfect.

Still way off here:

But the portrait screen does show 793 mercs, although doesn't explain the 1601 versus 1693 discrepancy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

iirc Daurama has a daughter so as long as you don't pick the male preference option (lol) you will be fine, in my game that dude's son died unlanded and when the husband died I was glad to get someone who could boost my stats in court lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are there ANY other matriarchies in the game?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

iirc Daurama has a daughter so as long as you don't pick the male preference option (lol) you will be fine, in my game that dude's son died unlanded and when the husband died I was glad to get someone who could boost my stats in court lol

I don't think Daurama starts out with a daughter, but Bori allows concubines/consorts and you can pick Family focus for the fertility boost so it should not be hard to get one.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 23, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

Amazonian Invasion DLC when?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any religion can be matriarchal if you want it hard enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jay Rust posted:

Its trivially easy to make one by starting as a high learning character, going down the Theologian tree to get the reform discounts, then making a new religion with female only for inheritance and religious vassals.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Patch 1.1 coming some time next week
https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1308798899696603136

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This is good news, though I am a bit saddened that the ruler designer is still "a long way off".

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 23, 2020

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

They say anything about what’s in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Getting a little tired of all 20 of my landed vassals starting poo poo each time the ruler dies. I inherited the empire of Mali as a woman which pissed off a lot of people, on top of the usual malus for having a short rein and my father being a gigantic murderous dick to everyone. I get like, three subsequent independence rebellions one after another as the former one gets resolved. I somehow pull a rabbit out of my hat and pacify everyone with a white peace since overextending myself is a real threat. Once everyone was calmed down I magically became obese and then died a day later, which was kind of funny. Less funny is that all the usual suspects are sharpening their knives again so I'll very likely be doing this process over again.

Also for whatever reason, all my vassal contributions are 0 now, so im stuck with 2k levies, down from 18k. There's no way to get them back before these strings of wars hit right? Am I supposed to roll with the punches with these things, am I playing it wrong by quitting as soon as im forced into becoming a vassal?