Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Decided to get real dumb with the journeyman last week, feels good getting back to this thing's roots. Took it on the twin lakes loop south of leadville where some of my favorite fishing is. All my fishing poo poo, a jacket, two rods, and a sixer of beer. Was able to ride almost everything (except for drops and the steepest spots that are followed by turns) and it was a poo poo ton of fun for a such a dumb idea. The Gravel King SKs did better than I expected, but in the super snowy areas they got packed up pretty quick and got steadily more exciting as the day progressed. Overall a good time riding bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Nocheez posted:

The best trails are ones with good views along the way. My favorite thing is to see a spot on the top of a farawayhill on the horizon and say, "I'm going to be standing there in 2 hours" and then doing it.

This reminds me I did a big ride a couple of weeks ago and neglected to post about it.

It was originally supposed to be an event, which was cancelled for obvious reasons. Rose to Toads, goes halfway around Lake Tahoe from the north (Mt Rose) to the south (descends a classic trail, Mr Toad's Wild Ride). It's almost entirely single track along the Tahoe Rim Trail, aside from a detour onto the Flume Trail and then a fire road descent that bypasses a non-bike-legal section of the TRT, and the final descent down Toad's.

62 miles, just short of 9k feet of climbing, an all day adventure.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4032911626

Relevant to the views comment, a few photos from the ride:

These two photos were taken about 25 miles in, looking back where we started, and then forward to a saddle about 22 miles ahead.

The mountain to the left of the saddle in the second photo is Freel Peak.

About 40 miles in, this is on the backside of Heavenly, looking towards a saddle where we'll head back into the Tahoe basin (still prior to Freel.

From that saddle looking towards Freel again:

And then from Freel, looking back towards the previous saddle:

More pictures on the activity link above. Made it to Mr Toad's a little before dark so we at least got to ride the rock garden sections in daylight, but finished the last 5 miles or so with lights. Fun.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That looks epic! I live for days like that, wow!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

one more little thing I just noticed, in that last photo: the peak featured in the last photo to the left of the saddle we traversed is Monument Peak. The slope on the other side of it is Heavenly. I'm 90% sure that the very first peak in the distance just to the left of it is Mt Rose, where we started the day.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs area for the next ~3 weeks and am looking for some fun rides. Does anybody have any recommendations? Anywhere within ~45 minutes. I'm coming from NE chunk so long and flowy would be ideal.

Also would take recommendations for some good trails I can take my gravel bike on.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 21, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
the trails around castle rock are a hoot on a gravel bike

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

yoohoo posted:

I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs area for the next ~3 weeks and am looking for some fun rides. Does anybody have any recommendations? Anywhere within ~45 minutes. I'm coming from NE chunk so long and flowy would be ideal.

Also would take recommendations for some good trails I can take my gravel bike on.

Depends on what you think is long.

I think the Air Force academy is still closed, but when it opens it’s my go to ride at about 14 miles. Cheyenne, Palmer and Ute park have trails but I haven’t been on many of them and cannot comment. Captain Jacks is talked about on the Colorado Springs Mountain Bike Facebook group.

Rides requiring a shuttle and outside of the 45 minute drive I would look towards monarch crest trail and the plummet.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
So, the most surprisingly useful upgrade that I inadvertently got has been a hub with fast engagement. The lovely Novatec on the back ate itself in under 100km so the distributor replaced it with a Factor DH62. They told me Factor is Novatec's "high-end" vertical, don't really care, as it has a super cool high pitched buzz, and I can add micro-ratcheting over janky poo poo to my tiny bag of tricks. It's extremely useful. Food for thought, as it's rare that I've added anything to a bike that's so immediately effective.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

yoohoo posted:

Long and flowy: ride up Gold Camp Road and drop Jack’s and Chutes. I haven’t ridden much down there but that fits the bill.

Grav: Rampart Range Road is great. Check out the course for the Rampart Rager, the grav sections are supposed to be wonderful. 45 minutes should also get you to Cañon City, and you should ride the Crippler course. It’s beautiful. Climb Phantom Canyon and descend Shelf Road.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I got a new bike

It’s good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

yoohoo posted:

I'm not from that area but was there last spring and hit up Ute Valley and Red rocks. Red rocks was death on the first climb (for a flatlander like me... that's also used to sea level air) but was alright. Nothing crazy. Ute I remember being really fun and there were a ton of different routes you can take around there.

Bud Manstrong posted:

I got a new bike

It’s good.

:swoon:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

I got a new bike

It’s good.

From everything I've heard it is.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Steve French posted:

This reminds me I did a big ride a couple of weeks ago and neglected to post about it.

:hmmyes:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Thanks for the recs - these all look solid. I should be able to knock most of em out, I'm working remote with east coast hours so getting off at 3 leaves plenty of time for post work rides.

I was planning on hitting some red rock canyon trails and I'd read about the captain jack's. I'm not looking for anything crazy or epic days in the saddle, just some trails that don't require shuttling that I can get a good 2 hours on. The rampart range looks like an awesome ride though, the climb will probably kill my lungs but those views.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know where to find a replacement cap for a Camelbak reservoir (Crux 3L)? Camelbak sells replacement caps, but it seems only for bottles. I don't want to spend money on a whole new reservoir unless needed.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/caps

Like the mouth piece? https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/bite-valves

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He was talking about the cap for the fill hole. It is known to be a POS according to the internet on that specific model.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

spwrozek posted:

He was talking about the cap for the fill hole. It is known to be a POS according to the internet on that specific model.

Ah, my bad.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
new bike day :getin:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

at the risk of being a goony goon, IMO throw out the camelbak and get a hydrapak bladder. My Osprey backpack came with one and it is so much better than the camelbak's . The folding top is much less of a pain in the rear end than the twist lid. I don't know if you can buy the one I have by itself, but it also has a semi-rigid back to it so that the surface that faces your back is still flat when full.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Samopsa posted:

new bike day :getin:

Hell yeah.

Guess I should repost my new bike from the picture thread because why not

This thing has been lots of fun to ride. Mountain bikes are the best.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

at the risk of being a goony goon, IMO throw out the camelbak and get a hydrapak bladder. My Osprey backpack came with one and it is so much better than the camelbak's . The folding top is much less of a pain in the rear end than the twist lid. I don't know if you can buy the one I have by itself, but it also has a semi-rigid back to it so that the surface that faces your back is still flat when full.

Completely agree. I have a hydrapak in my Hot Laps. It is great.

Sweet new bikes dudes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have an osprey pack that is nearly a decade old and has seen thousands of miles on the trails and been all over the country. It still works great and I only recently replaced it with another one that is less beat up and has more space for longer rides.

I highly recommend them, especially with the Airspeed trampoline-like mesh that lets air flow through and keep you cool.

I should take a picture of all my Osprey gear. They are pretty much all I buy when it comes to bags, even luggage.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
What are your thoughts on maintaining illegal jumps? I stumbled across the big local jump line, but its a mess rn and clearly has not had maintenance in a while, and so a couple of old dj buddies of mine want to come down, fix it up, and have a jam.

the problem is it falls right into federal property, in between the part of the park that is run by BLM and has great trails, and the old military housing (the whole area used to be a military base) which is still federal property. It's literally a grey area on the park map, and it seems like the space was planned to be used as cemetery, but the cemetery design was changed and now the cemetery property lines don't reach the jump lines.

I'm very conflicted with this, I want a sweet jump line (this is the only one that isn't at least 45 minutes away by car), but at the same time, I don't want to be one of those assholes that builds and regularly rides illegal trails (I've been justifying this in my mind by saying oh I wont be building new jumps just maintaining the jumps that already exist).

Idk, just wanted to see what other people think. I'm leaning towards no.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Steve French posted:

Thank you for this. The stock bladder in my osprey doesn't have a quick disconnect and that really grinds my gears.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

i flunked out posted:

What are your thoughts on maintaining illegal jumps? I stumbled across the big local jump line, but its a mess rn and clearly has not had maintenance in a while, and so a couple of old dj buddies of mine want to come down, fix it up, and have a jam.

the problem is it falls right into federal property, in between the part of the park that is run by BLM and has great trails, and the old military housing (the whole area used to be a military base) which is still federal property. It's literally a grey area on the park map, and it seems like the space was planned to be used as cemetery, but the cemetery design was changed and now the cemetery property lines don't reach the jump lines.

I'm very conflicted with this, I want a sweet jump line (this is the only one that isn't at least 45 minutes away by car), but at the same time, I don't want to be one of those assholes that builds and regularly rides illegal trails (I've been justifying this in my mind by saying oh I wont be building new jumps just maintaining the jumps that already exist).

Idk, just wanted to see what other people think. I'm leaning towards no.

Generally speaking, when dealing with the feds its always 100% without question better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. And that's federal land agencies actually know about. Especially with poo poo like weird chunks of land in a no man's land of maintenance and nothing on it now, I'd without question just start doing poo poo. The exec branch bureaucracies are so cash strapped and personnel strapped they simply don't have the time or interest to bother, even if they wanted to.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

Generally speaking, when dealing with the feds its always 100% without question better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. And that's federal land agencies actually know about. Especially with poo poo like weird chunks of land in a no man's land of maintenance and nothing on it now, I'd without question just start doing poo poo. The exec branch bureaucracies are so cash strapped and personnel strapped they simply don't have the time or interest to bother, even if they wanted to.

This is my general experience. I wouldn't go out and build a new trail system but one that is there...

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I support building, maintaining, and rising 'illegal' trails and jumps in general, especially if there is little to no chance of user conflicts.

And agreed on don't ask for permission, just clean them up and if you get caught just say that the map didn't say.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I would also add to keep secret secret and don’t blast them all over Strava and similar websites.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The major risk with unsanctioned trails on public property tends to be them getting shut down. Maybe fines for individual riders if they start enforcing a riding ban and people don't stop. As long as you're cool with your work one day going "poof" then gently caress it.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Serviced my fork today since I was starting to see oil and grime around the top seal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCd_SxBK4c

SUPER easy to do if you have the right tools (early xmas for me)

Now to continuously wonder if the rebound and PSI are correct (they are but I'll still wonder. Every. Ride.)

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Do you get a little squeek from the top of the airspring side after the service?

I followed the same video and did, as did my friend who also followed the video. Nothing feels wrong about it so I've been riding bit curious if you experienced the same?

And yeah if you aren't ok with your trails going poof don't build them unsanctioned, but even on allowed trails sometimes stuff gets destroyed when land management practices change. Just had two trails I really liked and helped maintain get logged even though that zone wasn't on the list for logging operations when they were built.

Also people are less likely to 'fix' trails and make them poo poo when they're unsanctioned because generally the only people who know about them also help maintain.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Nothing yet, but I've only ridden it in front of the house so far. I'll hit the trails tomorrow and follow up.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

thatguy posted:

Generally speaking, when dealing with the feds its always 100% without question better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. The exec branch bureaucracies are so cash strapped and personnel strapped they simply don't have the time or interest to bother, even if they wanted to.

I was figuring that this was probably the logic. I just wanted to make sure other people were on the same page.

vikingstrike posted:

I would also add to keep secret secret and don’t blast them all over Strava and similar websites.

Definitely was going to keep it secret, but honestly I think most of the local mtb club know about it and keep it secret.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My daughter, who loves orange, immediately demanded to have the new orange grips I got today the moment she saw them

I got the grips today because it's NEW BIKE DAY. I just need to build it now...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When I replaced my kid-hauling bike they both demanded it be orange. It's a good color.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Orange and Purple are so fetch right now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And the older kid just picked out the MF'ing orangest lid to replace his old Giro. It's going to be fall colors for the next couple of years.

I've been looking into replacing my stolen spectral and now covet a 5010 very badly.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 23, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I have the last gen 5010 and really like it, though I have no comparisons. Fantastic all round bike, done some long days, lots of 'enduro' style days, some shuttling, and some dj with it. Always fun to jump on.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you get a little squeek from the top of the airspring side after the service?

No squeak. I did use more Slickoleum than he did though, not a ton but a certainly visible coat on all moving parts and seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

And the older kid just picked out the MF'ing orangest lid to replace his old Giro. It's going to be fall colors for the next couple of years.

I've been looking into replacing my stolen spectral and now covet a 5010 very badly.

Do it