Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Just figured out that if you walk, the cavemen that are sleeping don't wake up. I wonder if that can be used on a certain vampire that is giving me hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

2 things I think will unironically make Spelunky 2 a better game

A: Put shopkeeps behind bulletproof glass in the black market. The idea is that you can get the crown (reskinned Hedjet) with little risk, don't have to tick off the shopkeeps and you more then likely will escape with a free cape is one thing... but when you compare it to the black market it's just no contest. Sit on a ladder and watch them all kill themselves climbing into your feet, now you have every single item in the game for free and a fully loaded run. Shopkeeps waiting for you aren't a threat when you're a death god. If they kept the shop around and you had to buy stuff and couldn't steal you'd at least be able to be like 'maybe I can get MORE than the cape if I run into good deals...'
Balance on that is just absurd

B: Make it easier to heal curse. It takes like 4 entire floors of not getting hit and bringing the pet to the exit to get rid of it and that's way too goddamn unforgiving for something that has to lightly tap you in areas. If it gave any benefit at all maybe I'd understand but that's way too much.

I think that the game does a lot right and this is just game balance really but a lot of the new zones just don't reward the player nearly as much as just playing Spelunky 1's routes. The Temple offers more than the Tidepool. The jungle offers way more than the volcana, it just needs to be evened out more.

Jolo posted:

Just figured out that if you walk, the cavemen that are sleeping don't wake up. I wonder if that can be used on a certain vampire that is giving me hell.

Hot tip: There's a key and von horsesing in 2-1. Free him and he one shots the vampire for you when you go there.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The way I see it is, I don't have to beat Spelunky or reach a stratospheric skill level to enjoy it. But if those challenges exist, then it's going to make for loving amazing challenge and speed runs on youtube. Two big wins imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

2 things I think will unironically make Spelunky 2 a better game

A: Put shopkeeps behind bulletproof glass in the black market. The idea is that you can get the crown (reskinned Hedjet) with little risk, don't have to tick off the shopkeeps and you more then likely will escape with a free cape is one thing... but when you compare it to the black market it's just no contest. Sit on a ladder and watch them all kill themselves climbing into your feet, now you have every single item in the game for free and a fully loaded run. Shopkeeps waiting for you aren't a threat when you're a death god. If they kept the shop around and you had to buy stuff and couldn't steal you'd at least be able to be like 'maybe I can get MORE than the cape if I run into good deals...'
Balance on that is just absurd

The cape you get from Vlad is insanely good. It gives you a double-jump and a glide, but more importantly it doubles the amount of blood enemies spill, letting you fill up Kapala twice as fast

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 24, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Augus posted:

The cape you get from Vlad is insanely good. It gives you a double-jump and a glide, but more importantly it doubles the amount of blood enemies spill, letting you fill up Kapala twice as fast

Yeah, I'm *okay* with the double jump but I see a lot of people go 'it's not the jetpack and double jump scary give me my free jetpack with the slower suicidal shopkeepers." and just... gets me thinking. That and despite finding a lot of secrets I have a hard time bringing myself to sacrifice the pets for the kapala so blood doesn't do much for me :v:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I decided to give random online co-op a go. I was expecting it not to be good but OH MAN is co-op with randoms bad. People just blast through the level, don't collect treasure, ignore the key and chest, constantly break the ghost urn, and don't give people a chance to turn in a pet for HP. Dead players can control ghosts that can push items around and if charged, freeze things. This is only used to troll your team by pushing them around, pushing their bombs, pushing things out of the shop to force an illegal run, etc.

It's cool they added online MP but under no circumstances would I recommend trying to play with random people unless you only want to experience a clusterfuck. I had a team make it to Volcana once and I have no idea how we got that far.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Playing with randoms never even occurred to me, but I unironically want to try this now because of how stupid it would be.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hot tip: There's a key and von horsesing in 2-1. Free him and he one shots the vampire for you when you go there.

I've done that and it was rad. With the random helpers in that area, usually one of them can knock him down once. Once he's down it wouldn't be too hard to keep him down until he's dead with a weapon, but the whip alone doesn't cut it. I think my new gameplan without a weapon is grab the goody and gtfo.

Check out this bat juking from his flight path to kill me here. I'm not sure what caused it. They're pretty consistent about flying towards you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEWoOvneAaA

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The game has kicked by rear end, I finally got the regular ending after 100+ deaths, some of them out of my control and some of them my own stupidity.

The games packed, but maaan I wish some things were a little different, the moles and witch doctors are the worst, the final boss also has a bit too much hp even when using a shotgun.

I wonder if they plan on adding content to this, so far I haven't seen the Viking, cyclops or ninja from the first game and wonder if they're even in or just cut.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Do you even need to fight (Volcana secret area spoiler) Vlad if you don't want his cape? Pretty sure you can just yoink the crown and run away if you want to.

I had one run where Van Helsing showed up in (post Olmec) the Temple and gave me an Alien Compass. Not sure what that does.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Diephoon posted:

I had one run where Van Helsing showed up in (post Olmec) the Temple and gave me an Alien Compass. Not sure what that does.

I'll tier this spoiler:

you use it to get to a familiar place in Spelunky HD

think of a prominent place you havent seen yet that was relatively easy to get to, compared to all other secret areas like worm

with a jetpack and alien compass check the bottom of ice caves to get to the alien mothership

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 24, 2020

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Do you even need to fight (Volcana secret area spoiler) Vlad if you don't want his cape? Pretty sure you can just yoink the crown and run away if you want to.

For Vlad, you can absolutely steal his crown and run away - I made it my mission yesterday to get the crown so I could use it to get the weapon in the water ruins. Following a lot of boneheaded deaths in the volcano after managing to kill him, I had a run where all the little bald goons in Vlad's area ran away from the fight for some reason leaving me alone with him & unarmed so I took the crown and got out of there

Has anyone been to (6-2 or 3 spoiler) Mama's place (I think its called) in neo Babylon? I poked my head in there out of curiosity and immediately was shot to death by some jerks behind the door without getting time to react... would love to know what the deal is as I'm not going there again until I've beaten the game

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think that the game does a lot right and this is just game balance really but a lot of the new zones just don't reward the player nearly as much as just playing Spelunky 1's routes. The Temple offers more than the Tidepool.

Assuming you are doing a true ending run: what are you talking about? The base temple area is way more dangerous than tide pool. Duat is way more dangerous than Abzu. And perhaps most importantly you are forced to lose the ankh and any health totals on the temple route and not the other. Why would anyone actually go Temple over Tidepool? What does it offer besides a harder time?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So It Goes posted:

Assuming you are doing a true ending run: what are you talking about? The base temple area is way more dangerous than tide pool. Duat is way more dangerous than Abzu. And perhaps most importantly you are forced to lose the ankh and any health totals on the temple route and not the other. Why would anyone actually go Temple over Tidepool? What does it offer besides a harder time?

City of Gold mostly if you're after money and iunno, I find Duat to be super easy and I'm only in the temple for about 20-30 seconds. Also less things to poison me in Temple.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brasseye posted:

Has anyone been to (6-2 or 3 spoiler) Mama's place (I think its called) in neo Babylon? I poked my head in there out of curiosity and immediately was shot to death by some jerks behind the door without getting time to react... would love to know what the deal is as I'm not going there again until I've beaten the game

I've seen LethalFrag go in there without realizing he was going to aggro the whole place. As you noticed, it's full of dudes with guns. I think there's precooked turkeys as well? And if you manage to clear it out there's a Kali altar in the basement for all the bodies. It looked like there was another are below the sublevel but I'm not sure.

e: Looks like this is how you get in legally. roll the dice at Madam Tusk's until she invites you to her pleasure palace.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringAlertTermiteCurseLit

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 24, 2020

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

City of Gold mostly if you're after money and iunno, I find Duat to be super easy and I'm only in the temple for about 20-30 seconds. Also less things to poison me in Temple.

What you need money for at that point? You don’t get poisoned by the snakes in Duat sniping from above or insta killed by crushing blacks or teleporting gators? And most importantly tbh, you’re fine with losing the ankh and resetting your health when you can keep the ankh going the other route? It’s brutal to have high health (royal jelly etc.) and a death do over removed on that route when you can keep them going tide pool. Like, it’s an absolutely insane difficulty increase to me with nothing in return. Also, if you don’t have paste how do you even deal with the Duat bosses?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've been ignoring everything from this game since I'm waiting for the PC release (hoping for the possibility of a Switch release as well). How is it compared to the first game? I got every achievement on Spelunky 1 and love it. How's the music? That's the only thing I didn't really care for in the first game.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've been ignoring everything from this game since I'm waiting for the PC release (hoping for the possibility of a Switch release as well). How is it compared to the first game? I got every achievement on Spelunky 1 and love it. How's the music? That's the only thing I didn't really care for in the first game.

It's harder, more denser, and just as lovely as Spelunky 1.

Music's great too! One of the tracks in world 2 or 3 sounds a bit Banjo kazooie-ish to me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The best spelunky 1 song was the yeti one

https://youtu.be/zNiSGrfhh30

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

I enjoyed the music in Spelunky 1, I think 2's is better. Same with the gameplay. Get ready to die horribly in new and exciting ways!

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

So It Goes posted:

Also, if you don’t have paste how do you even deal with the Duat bosses?

Osiris is honestly pretty easy to kill with just whip (though it does take forever), so as long as you can find a way to do something to A2bis it's no big deal. My preferred backup is spike shoes, but failing that you could maybe farm up extra favor while in golden city so Kali hooks you up with a power pack or some poo poo. Either way, not having paste sucks pretty much everywhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So It Goes posted:

What you need money for at that point? You don’t get poisoned by the snakes in Duat sniping from above or insta killed by crushing blacks or teleporting gators? And most importantly tbh, you’re fine with losing the ankh and resetting your health when you can keep the ankh going the other route? It’s brutal to have high health (royal jelly etc.) and a death do over removed on that route when you can keep them going tide pool. Like, it’s an absolutely insane difficulty increase to me with nothing in return. Also, if you don’t have paste how do you even deal with the Duat bosses?

On that boss you have infinite rope for a reason. Just machine gun him with the rope.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

VHGS posted:

Osiris is honestly pretty easy to kill with just whip (though it does take forever), so as long as you can find a way to do something to A2bis it's no big deal.

Temple Secrets I've seen a streamer take Anubis II into the path of the giant snake in Duat to kill him. Not every layout will let you do that without bombing, of course.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sounds good, just give me a loving Switch port please.:pray:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

After defeating the giant spider, Gronk was filled with bravery. He realized that HE was the main character and I was just a skeleton in disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsetKizY8M

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1309524528351948800
https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1309524530155589633

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Bummer, but thank god they didn't push back the release to fix the multiplayer. Not sure my heart could have taken it

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

So can anybody explain why the dice shopkeepers will just randomly flip out at me and kill me when I try to play their dice game? It happens all the time and I have no possible idea what is going on.

This happened again to me today. The problem is I rolled the same die twice. Also, if you have a throwing mitt, make sure you don't throw dice into the repulsor or they'll go straight out of the shop area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owLf7moX1gI

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm still upset the original caves music from OG Spelunky is not in the games more.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I just unlocked the shortcut to level 3. Is there a way to go to the lower path without using up all my bombs? I just wanna practice the two stages but that’s a huge handicap to do so.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Has anyone tried out the multiplayer? is it in any good?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Has anyone tried out the multiplayer? is it in any good?

Online is fairly busted for many people at the moment based on what I've read and the fact that it's not going to be immediately available on the PC version.

I put maybe 45 minutes into playing with randoms online and it was a bad experience. Most people are not very good at this game and you cannot communicate with them (which is good and bad). I think having online multiplayer will be great for coordinated playing with people you meet on discord who are willing to put effort into playing the game well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

So It Goes posted:

What you need money for at that point?
Score.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sounds good, just give me a loving Switch port please.:pray:

Seriously. I got spoiled on the first one playing it on Vita.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is Beg a monk or a rabbit

I was talking with a friend and his answer was 'oh he's a rabbit guy, you can see a muzzle and stuff' where my vision is kinda blurred and I figured he just had those uh... monk ears I see time to time. The really long ones? I'm not sure what it's called.

But it's on the moon so I have no idea.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Had a skeleton key fall out of one of those bone piles

So now I have to obsessively whip every single one of them, inevitably taking damage when a skull falls on me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Seriously. I got spoiled on the first one playing it on Vita.

I'd be happy just getting a port of the first game. Hopefully whatever console exclusivity deal they have with Sony won't last too long.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
brag posting

Got my first 7-4 clear this morning!

Got a decent showing on my first daily run as well (spoiler character omitted)

I expect the insane million dollar runners to move me down the leaderboard but for now I'm proud :)

Kinda bummed they changed the (tide pool secret spoiler) lava draining technique that people were using to not consume their ankhs. Apparently you can still survive but it requires more bombs and ropes. I assume you'll want to bring a jetpack/vlad cape as well but I haven't pulled off the new technique yet.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 27, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Tommorrow.

Tomorrow and i show you PlayStation havers how you really play spelunky :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Tommorrow.

Tomorrow and i show you PlayStation havers how you really play spelunky :smuggo:

Die ten times on 1-1?