Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
honestly I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this exact reaction because I saw that commercial on TV while watching sports and my jaw dropped like what the actual gently caress is happening and why does this exist and why did people think it was a good idea to make that and I felt like I was taking crazy pills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
it’s the same kind of soft propaganda that stuff like command and conquer/red dawn fall into too, the idea that the other/minority groups are either just as bad or worse than the status quo

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
it’s based on a young adult book from 2001 :geno:

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

shelley posted:

it’s based on a young adult book from 2001 :geno:

I swear this is a trend starting with 12 Years a Slave where they take these garbage stories written by minorities and give them hollywood money so when people critique/call out how bad it is media can run and post pictures of whoever directed/wrote it. Same idea with how cuties got made (albeit way less hosed up here). Even trying to dissect how stupid everything is about it hurts since you can’t 1:1 switch black and white peoples like that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh yeah someone told me he was cancelling netflix over cuties what's up with that show?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

does Popclaw look 100% like microwave's mom on purpose?

please. someone. help me.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Sep 24, 2020

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Young adult books are a blight

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh yeah someone told me he was cancelling netflix over cuties what's up with that show?

it's a french movie that's pretty explicit when it comes to examining the sexualization of young girls. i haven't seen it, but seeing people freak out over an edgy foreign film feels reminiscent of a more simpler time in american society.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The people who love and zealously defend anime are very upset about cuties

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Equeen posted:

it's a french movie that's pretty explicit when it comes to examining the sexualization of young girls. i haven't seen it, but seeing people freak out over an edgy foreign film feels reminiscent of a more simpler time in american society.

This was my (adult) nephew, and I don't think he understands commentary or themes. He likes to talk at you about things like "cthulhu lore," "have you seen the new dunkey video," and "no one likes the new captain marvel movie"

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the movie itself is a fairly evenhanded an obviously very critical examination of the sexualisation of young girls, and multiculturalism in france. what was up was a mindboggingly insane moral panic by q-anon paedohunters and brainwormed reactionary libs that pretend to be moral and progressive but actually have a sexual morality that belongs in the 60's. cancel culture at work...

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
did your large adult nephew peep up when Netflix licensed the borderline rape hentai Goblin Slayer for a couple months?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
but honestly caring about this outrage is too loving exhausting. just watch paedogeddon

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

did your large adult nephew peep up when Netflix licensed the borderline rape hentai Goblin Slayer for a couple months?

No his opinions are entirely dictated by what random youtubers say and the iFunny comments section.

He's the exact target audience of PragerU ads. He gets them constantly.

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Sep 23, 2020

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No his opinions are entirely dictated by what random youtubers say and the iFunny comments section.

He's the exact target audience of PragerU ads. He gets them constantly.

murder you are famil

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Remember when the Game of Thrones showrunners were going to make a show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War?

lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Professorjuggalo posted:

it’s the same kind of soft propaganda that stuff like command and conquer/red dawn fall into too, the idea that the other/minority groups are either just as bad or worse than the status quo

The soviet ending of Red Alert 2 explicitly shows the stock market being shut down forever aka a better timeline than ours.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Young adult books are a blight

i actually think hunger games did a decent job priming a bunch of zoomers for radicalization. i mean at this point, the residents of the capital are barely distinguishable from contemporary mainstream rich lib culture.

everything else should be cleansed with fire tho

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The soviet ending of Red Alert 2 explicitly shows the stock market being shut down forever aka a better timeline than ours.

but the entire premise and two endings in RA1 are too succlib to save anything in those later games

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The people who love and zealously defend anime are very upset about cuties

is there a demographic that better understands how pervasive and insidious pedophilia in media can become if left unchallenged?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

oscarthewilde posted:

the movie itself is a fairly evenhanded an obviously very critical examination of the sexualisation of young girls, and multiculturalism in france. what was up was a mindboggingly insane moral panic by q-anon paedohunters and brainwormed reactionary libs that pretend to be moral and progressive but actually have a sexual morality that belongs in the 60's. cancel culture at work...

i'm not sure why you're omitting that it was the fact that netflix decided to market it to pedos with an ad campaign based on sexualized images of kids that drew a lot of disgust and anger in cspam that kicked things off, but if the reason isn't that you werent aware then gently caress off

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hodgepodge posted:

i'm not sure why you're omitting that it was the fact that netflix decided to market it to pedos with an ad campaign based on sexualized images of kids that drew a lot of disgust and anger in cspam that kicked things off, but if the reason isn't that you werent aware then gently caress off

Netflix knew drat well what they were doing with that ad campaign and they'll get no sympathy from me. Regardless what the movie is actually about they made a conscious decision to promote it as CP and I say let em' burn.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Professorjuggalo posted:

but the entire premise and two endings in RA1 are too succlib to save anything in those later games

Kane was a Trot

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The current trailer for Cuties is trying to sell it as a movie about an empowered girl standing up to her oppressive mother so I'm not gonna give Netflix the benefit of the doubt.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kane was a Trot

this explains why Nod keeps having splits

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Atrocious Joe posted:

this explains why Nod keeps having splits

guy who invented murder has chronic trust issues

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The current trailer for Cuties is trying to sell it as a movie about an empowered girl standing up to her oppressive mother so I'm not gonna give Netflix the benefit of the doubt.

as i understand it the actual movie is a good look at the sexualization of children and pretty brutally honest about what's really going on with a lot of that and for some reason netflix is desperate to just not market it as that and it's pretty damning

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

God Hole posted:

i actually think hunger games did a decent job priming a bunch of zoomers for radicalization. i mean at this point, the residents of the capital are barely distinguishable from contemporary mainstream rich lib culture.

everything else should be cleansed with fire tho

animorphs was pretty good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ardent Communist posted:

animorphs was pretty good.

The middle schoolers who read Animorphs 20-25 years ago, the books about the brain slugs secretly controlling everything, are now full grown adults who believe that there's a cabal of cannibal pedophiles secretly controlling everything.

It's all Animorphs fault

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

why. why would anyone ever think this was a good idea

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

yeah the freakout is very sad because its a really good movie and the director, a black woman who immigrated to france and based the movie on her own experience, is getting smeared as a pedo. the people freaking the gently caress about it are doing exactly what the movie is criticizing

Hodgepodge posted:

the original poster made it look like an episode of dance moms. the marketing was doing a disservice to the movie, but to call it pedobait is basically falling into the same dumb hole the 8 chan freaks are into.

babypolis has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Sep 24, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
it was pedobait fam

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The marketing isnt controlled by the director so you dont have to defend it, yall

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

marketers are idiots who often cross the line of good taste in the hope of creating a provocative image, is there much more to say about it than that?

also malorie blackman predates the young adult craze and was one of very few popular authors when i was a kid who had anything at all to say about race. noughts and crosses was contemporary with harry potter, which at this point was back-editing black characters in because JK forgot to do any. can't speak for the tv adaptation but she's good and does not deserve people dunking on her.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"anything at all to say about race" does not preclude the thing being said from being bad

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

please. someone. help me.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahdjdhshsahahahahaha

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kane was a Trot

googled for wrestler cum mayor glenn jacobs and found this lmao

quote:

In an unusual public rebuke Wednesday night, several members of the Knox County Board of Health chastised County Mayor Glenn Jacobs for narrating a dystopian video posted last week that targeted public health officials.

What started out as a typical board meeting turned into a tongue-lashing after board member Dr. Maria Hurt played the video — which was quickly taken down last week after it was posted — and called out Jacobs for creating a threatening environment for the board.

The video begins with the preamble to the Declaration of Independence and then turns dark. “Today this foundation is under attack. Not from some ominent enemy abroad, but from sinister forces within,” Jacobs narrates as the video pans fiery protest scenes.

When the video shows the faces of the Knox County Board of Health, Jacobs says: “Unelected bureaucrats who cast down edicts which carry the force of law with no accountability and no recourse.”

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"anything at all to say about race" does not preclude the thing being said from being bad

i guess a black women writing for children in london in 2001 should have thought more about how white adult american racists twenty years in the future might react. what a slip up!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

josh04 posted:

i guess a black women writing for children in london in 2001 should have thought more about how white adult american racists twenty years in the future might react. what a slip up!

the same people were right there back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

josh04 posted:

A movie about everything white America does to black people, except reversed, would be just as a ridiculous pile of projection in 2001 as it would be tomorrow.

Or unless you think the state of racial relations in America has only very recently gotten particularly bad?