Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Soviet soldier in Schoennbrunn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the French Revolution got itself deep in a lot of pointless poo poo when it had unlimited power. Like trying to create a new calendar and build their own god

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bro Dad posted:

oh yeah it was a whole stupid thing

nothing peasants love more than a ten day week

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

the French Revolution got itself deep in a lot of pointless poo poo when it had unlimited power. Like trying to create a new calendar and build their own god

honestly if you won a revolution why wouldn't you try to build your own god

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm told by a lot of op-eds that being rich is very hard. We should really help them take a load off.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the French republican calendar is cool. we should modernize it and name all the days after potato chips and energy drinks.

https://twitter.com/sansculotides/status/1283189553122009088?s=20

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I was down with the french calendar until I saw that my mom's birthday is the Day of the Plow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
say hello to the plow king

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Peanut President posted:

I was down with the french calendar until I saw that my mom's birthday is the Day of the Plow

Yeah it is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mandatory lesbian posted:

hey maybe do something important instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, guys who have been dead for centuries

Units of measurement are instruments of bourgeois imperialism so that's a yikes to mr Robespierre imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

christmas boots posted:

Units of measurement are instruments of bourgeois imperialism so that's a yikes to mr Robespierre imo

I mean that’s what the French Revolution was, fundamentally

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
hon hon hon

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the calendar was a sideshow but the measurement was not. there was a paris pound, a lyons poind, etcetc all of them carefully calibrated w fraudulent measures to steal from peasants and gently caress with customary taxes in the nobilitys favor

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the calendar was a sideshow but the measurement was not. there was a paris pound, a lyons poind, etcetc all of them carefully calibrated w fraudulent measures to steal from peasants and gently caress with customary taxes in the nobilitys favor

rich people are always inventing new ways to steal from poor people. french aristos heads would spin if you told them how they do it these days.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah but they whacked that one good and permanently, which is something to say, notwithstanding the modern grocery shrink ray

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

eventually sure but there were a lot of problems they ignored to do that

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

french aristos heads would spin

yeah but you gotta get just the right English on the blade as it comes down the slot

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol just remembered that swatch (the watch company) invented its own decimal time system for the internet

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

oi its 865 .beats

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there's a nerd-rear end joke about the numidium in here somewhere

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Proust Malone posted:

yeah but you gotta get just the right English on the blade as it comes down the slot

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

World War Mammories posted:

there's a nerd-rear end joke about the numidium in here somewhere

after the revolution, we had all these tonal chainsaws the dwemer provided...

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Greg Egan uses metric time and if it's good enough for sempai it's good enough for me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

posting without comment https://twitter.com/EyePatchGuy/status/1307675822183022593

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/EliotETC/status/1308677763335778305

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

props to him for the praxis

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That uhhh... doesn't really belong in this thread, but I'm hard-pressed to say where it should go.

Nice work, Mr. Feeney. :stare:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
ehhhh. I doubt he's made restitution to all the people whose labor he exploited to make a billion dollars in the first place, and now he can't afford to. so gently caress em still.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I was thinking something along those lines, but I'm still just really impressed, tbph.

THIS should be the baseline for fawning opinion pieces, not that "Gates gives away negative $60 billion for third consecutive year" bullshit.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wait did the frech revolutionists really try to start a new calendar, lol

i have a physical version of it on the wall near my computer desk, its honestly really nice lol

also wait til you hear about metric time

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

indigi posted:

ehhhh. I doubt he's made restitution to all the people whose labor he exploited to make a billion dollars in the first place, and now he can't afford to. so gently caress em still.

I mean yeah, it's still obviously :thermidor: worthy that he was a billionaire in the first place but we don't know anything about his business practices or how he paid his employees and I doubt there's gonna be a better example of "acquires shitload of money, bypasses Scrooge McDuck swimming pool to do helpful things for society". If he was a fucker of an employer on top of it then yeah, definitely earlier in the guillotine queue

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Mr Feeney betrayed his class, and will be spared the guillotine for it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Orange Devil posted:

Mr Feeney betrayed his class, and will be spared the guillotine for it.

My stance imho

We could use more of his kind of class traitor

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

My stance imho

We could use more of his kind of class traitor

one marxist historian i read (can't find the name at the moment) referred to these sorts as "social cranks" and they have a sort of established history in these sort of moments i guess?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i have a physical version of it on the wall near my computer desk, its honestly really nice lol

also wait til you hear about metric time
For some reason I thought this was quoting the post about the Numidium and I was like, of course a goon has that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the single largest recipient of Feeney's "philanthropy" was his alma mater Cornell University, a private Ivy League university which already receives state funding. he gave them a billion fuckin dollars and they still charge students $60k a year for tuition

"giving away his fortune" sounds impressive, but the guy's 89 years old, he wasn't holding onto that money much longer anyway. he's just wrapping up his affairs, and doesn't want to leave the money to his kids, so he's choosing for himself what organizations and causes are worthy of his support, while also minimizing his tax liability by doing so

and while some of his donations have been for decent causes, they tend to be outweighed by his more vanity donations. it may sound impressive that he donated $25 million to lobbyists for the ACA, but put it next to the $35 million he spent on a sports center for Trinity College and it starts to look a little small. he's cumulatively spent $380 million on social services in Vietnam over a period of decades, which is nice, but he gave Cornell $350 million in 2011 to build a new campus, and of course that's just a portion of his total donations to Cornell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Oh don't get me wrong he's in no way a good guy, but I do think there's a difference between him and most other billionaires.