Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah but she can be real dumb and get married patrilineally, even if you already picked the "female preference" succession law. Unfortunately my Daura had 3 sons before becoming infertile so I guess I'll just play it how it rolls

On a related note, if you're planning to reform your religion to allow women to inherit, make sure you find husbands for your daughters/grandaughters before they're in their forties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It's probably a bit early to be thinking about this stuff but I hope for the first dlc they just copy and paste the modular religion setup onto culture.

Also let people write wills for succession, with increasing penalties in opinion and prestige the further you deviate from the expected succession.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hi this is my first CK game and I need someone to explain the rightful liege mechanic to me like I am a baby

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Blockhouse posted:

Hi this is my first CK game and I need someone to explain the rightful liege mechanic to me like I am a baby

Imagine the Burger King stole a McDonalds from Ronald. He would not be its rightful liege.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Donnerberg posted:

Imagine the Burger King stole a McDonalds from Ronald. He would not be its rightful liege.

Is there anything to be done about this? I'm in the tutorial and I helped this guy in my court press a claim and take a earldom and now he's giving me lip about it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Is there anything to be done about this? I'm in the tutorial and I helped this guy in my court press a claim and take a earldom and now he's giving me lip about it.

help another dude in that petty kingdom get his earldom until you can take that petty kingdom for yourself, then you WILL in fact be their rightful liege

until then the "you helped me take my earldom!" bonus should tide them over

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Blockhouse posted:

So the feudal system works by chains of lieges. The Kingdom of Denmark is made up of three Duchies, which are each made up of three or four counties. The way it's supposed to work is that the counts within a duchy are the vassals of the duke of the duchy their county is in, and then the dukes are all vassals of the King of Denmark.

However, it's quite possible for something to interfere with that. I might be the Emperor of Scandinavia and King of Norway, and due to some weirdness, a Danish count is my vassal. I'm not his rightful liege, since I'm not the duke of the duchy he's in, so he gives me less stuff (taxes and levies) as a result. He would give his rightful liege (whoever the duke who controls the duchy his county is in is) a normal amount of stuff, so me having him as a direct vassal pisses off his rightful liege.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay, I got it. So I'm not really the boss of him and the way to fix that is make myself the boss of him.

Anyway, having fun! Though I assume the reason this particular scenario is the tutorial is because Ireland's pretty small and you've got enough of an army to faceroll everyone else in the region.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Blockhouse posted:

OK, so each title in the game exists in a chain of titles. For example, London is in Middlesex, which is in England, which is in Britannia. So if there's a count of London, his rightful liege is the Duke of Middlesex. And his rightful liege is the King of England.

But as you expand and take over other lands, you can end up with vassals who are not your rightful liege. Say you are the King of Ireland and you have a courtier who is a claimant to the Duchy of Middlesex. You invate England to press his claims, win the war, and now he gets the title and becomes your vassal. So the Duke of Middlesex now has the King of Ireland as his liege, but his rightful liege is the King of England. His legal ties to you are recent, ad hoc, imposed by force or agreement, and therefore weaker than the normal bonds between a Duke and his rightful King. As such, he pays you less taxes and gives fewer troops.

This can also happen inside a realm when you skip a title. Say you're the king of England and you have the count of London as your Vassal. The count's rightful liege is the Duke of Middlesex, that's who he is supposed to swear fealty to. If you are Duke of Middlesex as well as the King of England, that's hunky dory and things are fine. But if there is a duke of Middlesex and your count isn't his vassal, you're breaking the chain and again making the feudal bonds weaker. Or, if there's no duke of middlesex then it's the same problem. The count of London is supposed to swear to the Duke, but you're not the duke, you're the king, and you're not going to get the stuff his contract says needs to be paid to the Duke of Middlesex.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Reveilled posted:

OK, so each title in the game exists in a chain of titles. For example, London is in Middlesex, which is in England, which is in Britannia. So if there's a count of London, his rightful liege is the Duke of Middlesex. And his rightful liege is the King of England.

But as you expand and take over other lands, you can end up with vassals who are not your rightful liege. Say you are the King of Ireland and you have a courtier who is a claimant to the Duchy of Middlesex. You invate England to press his claims, win the war, and now he gets the title and becomes your vassal. So the Duke of Middlesex now has the King of Ireland as his liege, but his rightful liege is the King of England. His legal ties to you are recent, ad hoc, imposed by force or agreement, and therefore weaker than the normal bonds between a Duke and his rightful King. As such, he pays you less taxes and gives fewer troops.

This can also happen inside a realm when you skip a title. Say you're the king of England and you have the count of London as your Vassal. The count's rightful liege is the Duke of Middlesex, that's who he is supposed to swear fealty to. If you are Duke of Middlesex as well as the King of England, that's hunky dory and things are fine. But if there is a duke of Middlesex and your count isn't his vassal, you're breaking the chain and again making the feudal bonds weaker. Or, if there's no duke of middlesex then it's the same problem. The count of London is supposed to swear to the Duke, but you're not the duke, you're the king, and you're not going to get the stuff his contract says needs to be paid to the Duke of Middlesex.

Okay, and that's why you don't want to sit on fifteen different titles instead of spreading them around. Makes sense.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

There's 4 limits to consider w/r/t to holding titles

1-De jure
2-Demesne limit
3-Vassal limit
4-The 2-duchy limit

We've explored #1 - any vassal that isn't rightfully yours will resent it, encouraging you to hand them over to their rightful liege or to BECOME that title holder.

#2 is the number at the top right of your screen - you cannot personally hold more than that number of counties or baronies. Every county past that will add a penalty to ALL of your holdings. This encourages you to hand out counties to courtiers and make them into vassals rather than to hold the land yourself.

#3 is listed in your Realm screen - as you gain higher-level titles, the total number of vassals you can have will grow, but it will still be outpaced by how many total counties exist in your realm - this encourages you to hand off vassals to bigger vassals (e.g. counts to a duke vassal once you are a king, dukes to a king vassal if you're an emperor)

#4 is a special case - if you hold a King or Emperor title, you cannot also hold more than 2 duchy level titles. If you do, your vassals will resent you for overly centralizing the kingdom. Every duchy past 2 will add -15 opinion to your vassals

e: keep in mind that you can never have vassals of equal rank to yourself - giving away a county while you are yourself an Earl will make that courtier into an independant earl of his own. The same principle applies to high-level titles

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 25, 2020

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I almost always dip into 1) the right hand diplomacy tree down to the perk that gives you stress reduction from friends and 2) the left hand learning tree down to the perk that gives you a warning when you are a year away from dying. Both are super useful and a pretty light investment of perks.

Groomed to rule also rules, it's a free stat boost to your heir and spares.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Mending the schism may well be within my grasp.

And close-kin marriage allows for some truly horrible relationships.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thanks for this. Christ monarchies are complicated.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So, why does the map sometimes show holdings garrisons, and why does the map sometimes change it so it's showing levies instead (I'd rather have it show levies all the time)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Kidnapping the Byzantine Empress and making her sign over Miklagrad to my Russian raiders was pretty lol.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Thanks for this. Christ monarchies are complicated.

They are! The really crazy thing is that this is actually a simplification for gameplay purposes. IRL, the Holy Roman Empire had a bunch of people who had "Imperial Immediacy" which meant their rightful liege was in fact the Emperor, even if they were an Imperial Knight (barely a Baron in CK terms), or even the headman of an Imperial Village - yes really. When William the Bastard became King of England IRL, he remained the vassal of the King of France as the Duke of Normandy and :psyboom:

All this complexity can make for fun gameplay, but I'm sure glad Paradox simplified things just a little. Even if that means the system doesn't make much sense if, say, you want to be the Khagan of Khazaria. Or that it can't really represent some of the more out-there things, like when most of Denmark got mortgaged off to various creditors from the northern HRE.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 24, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

Yes, there is nothing wrong with being a vassal and in fact it can be a very powerful tool. In exchange for a pittance of tax and levies you get protection from other independent realms and easy opportunities to conquer your fellow vassals in addition to bonuses from the liege council and feudal contract options.

Regarding this protection, being a vassal doesn't stop enemy rulers from declaring war to steal your counties (and I suppose duchies later on), and your negligent and/or malicious liege could decide to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eXXon posted:

Regarding this protection, being a vassal doesn't stop enemy rulers from declaring war to steal your counties (and I suppose duchies later on), and your negligent and/or malicious liege could decide to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

Yeah. As Duke of Flanders, Sweden did a duchy conquest on me. The King of France never even showed up and I didn't get any sort of notification. All of a sudden there were just thousands of angry bearded assholes running around my territory.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Veryslightlymad posted:

The Mongols' problem is that they disintegrate almost immediately after Temujin dies. Like, it's a matter of how their succession works right now. In my file, they got all the way to Hungary before he died, and then his heir to the "Mongol Empire" had something like 4 provinces scattered in every direction across the vast stretch of their empire, but a bunch of the people they conquered were immediately made independent. They don't hold any of their gains. No idea if that's intentional behavior or not. They actually do come to party, but are gone in an eye-blink.

Oh see I've never seen them make it out of the de jure Empire of Mongolia area. Usually he takes like 5 counties in some odd group, then nothing ever happens again.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

In theory the Mongol Empire is supposed to fragment via a scripted event of some sort after like 1-2 generations, the problem is that often it never really gets big in the first place. If it did it'd make more sense. I'm not sure why, though some claim that the AI Temujin doesn't seem to raise its event troops and conquer everyone like it should.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

eXXon posted:

And the flipside, as a liege, you can have people declare war that would depose your vassals, but your idiot vassals won't raise the 2000 troops you know they have to protect themselves from being deposed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eXXon posted:

Although this is true, it does a lot more to put them off than if you were independent!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I frequently let my unruly vassals get gobbled up - surrendering the war immediately - since I can always reconquer that territory later and hand it to someone who will show me the proper gratitude

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
How do I change the crown authority in my second kingdom? In the realm view I can only see 1 kingdom title.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Being someone's vassal is much easier than being independent imo. I tried Pomerania once and I created the Kingdom of Pomerania, but it was basically a death sentence. I pulled the trigger on that wayyy too early. Just not nearly strong enough to hold onto the crown. Poland, the HRE and basically every Nordic raiding faction wanted a piece of me. Hindsight being 20/20, For survival purposes it would have been better to remain a duke, bend the knee and worry about gaining independence once I was powerful enough.

Kind of like my current game that started me off as Count of Anjou. Being the vassal of the King of France probably saved my life. I only just gained independence as the Kingdom of Brittany. I have an incredibly stable realm with excellent personal holdings led by a baller architect queen who significantly improved my personal counties. And for the first time my army was larger than the King of France's and the pope gave me a claim to the kingdom of brittany. Still, I feel like I'm taking a big risk. There are still a bunch of people who can be like "hey, nice kingdom, it's mine now", and they won't be taking the King of France into their calculus.

Also, re-asking this question:

Ice Fist posted:

So, why does the map sometimes show holdings garrisons, and why does the map sometimes change it so it's showing levies instead (I'd rather have it show levies all the time)

This bothers me. I really don't give a poo poo about garrison size. I want to know at a glance how many levies I am getting from a holding, but it switches between showing garrisons and levies.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

How do I change the crown authority in my second kingdom? In the realm view I can only see 1 kingdom title.

As far as I know realm laws apply to all of your titles. The only exceptions are succession laws you can apply to individual titles, I don't think you can do that for crown authority.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
How about this for an heir?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Daaaaamn. How much inbreeding do you need to pull that kind of stuff off?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Quizzlefish posted:

Your spymaster has uncovered a scheme to murder Princess Eadgifu!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What's that blood drop icon?

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Does anyone know how to press multiple claims in a single war? I got the cultural improvement that unlocks it but it doesn’t seem to pop up when I go to the declare war screen. I’m trying to clear the HRE out of Italy once and for all so I can destroy the Papacy with the Caliphate of Sardinia but their remaining territory is spread across 3 counties in 2 duchies

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

What's that blood drop icon?

I believe it's the pure-blooded trait that sometimes appears after a lot of inbreeding which reduces the chance of the inbred trait showing up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

She's a better warrior at age 0 than some of the marshalls I've had.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

QUEER FRASIER posted:

Does anyone know how to press multiple claims in a single war? I got the cultural improvement that unlocks it but it doesn’t seem to pop up when I go to the declare war screen. I’m trying to clear the HRE out of Italy once and for all so I can destroy the Papacy with the Caliphate of Sardinia but their remaining territory is spread across 3 counties in 2 duchies

Once you unlock that innovation you should have access to "My Claims" or "So and So's Claims" as a CB.

However it still has to be one person's claims, you can't push your claim and So and So's claim in the same war.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I just got a banner event stating, "Some rear end in a top hat duke is now your Chancellor. He cannot be fired for 25 years" or something like that. No idea what triggered it. This duke doesn't have a contract that guarantees him a spot on the council. I'm really curious what could have happened - anyone seen that?

If that was a scheme, then it was a really bad move on his part, says nothing about him having to survive for 25 years and my intrigue king just got a hostile scheme action open. Bye duke with 12 diplomacy...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can force a job with a weak hook.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's incredibly infuriating and murder is too good for those that do it. :colbert:

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

canada jezus posted:

Daaaaamn. How much inbreeding do you need to pull that kind of stuff off?

Surprisingly little. But there were generations of carefully selected spouses and disinheriting of the least good heirs. Like running a pedigree dog centre. And then 2 generations of having that overpowered heritable trait decision.

I also put every single female descendant in a matrilineal to maximise chance of an excellent inbreeding opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Babies in this game all look really grumpy