Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
four 10s is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

blackmet posted:

Now I'm 7-3:30 remote. It's great. I turn off my computer and pour a drink at 3:31.

Sure you wait until 3:31.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ixian posted:

Sure you wait until 3:31.

Pouring themself a drink doesn't mean pouring themself their first drink.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

four 10s is great
A 6, three 10s, and a 4 is my schedule because I'm speshul

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

quote:

we’re writing to let you know that the Annual Percentage Yield (APY) for your Online Savings Account is changing from 0.80% APY to 0.60% APY on all balance tiers. Your new APY is effective 9/25/2020 and will show online in your account details on 9/26/2020.

While the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact rates for savings products, we still offer plenty of ways to set yourself up for saving success in the long term. Here are a few ideas to explore.

Consider investing options.

:crossarms:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Yeah I just got that too. Motherfucker, that money is in a savings account because it's not being invested.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

“They think this is going to hell in a hand basket,” one financial adviser told Marketwatch this week, describing his clients’ growing sense of impending doom. Many high-income households are panicking about the upcoming economic crisis - a possible Biden presidency. In an interview on Wednesday with CNBC, JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, whose net worth is currently around $1.3 billion, likewise fretted about the future of the economy and, by extension, the less fortunate. “I remind people, the world, when you slow down the economy, you are hurting the disadvantaged more than anybody else,” he said.

One wealth manager, who declined to be named to protect himself and his clients, says that many of his clients are disregarding his advice. "There is a very real risk to the assets of the high-income under Biden, but I have tried to explain that it is likely to be nominally meddling with capital gains tax rates and can be worked around. But, many of them are getting more panicked as there is more volatility in the market and we're getting closer to election day. I had one client that I begged to reconsider, he asked me to offload stocks before the end of the year in order to avoid any hypothetical capital gains tax increase that might occur. I told him that he was taking a five percent bath if he dumped them now, but he just told me that it was better to take a five percent bath now than a fifty percent bath in capital gains next year. We're talking five percent loss on a mid-to-high seven figure portfolio."

Biden’s other recent offense was to contrast his own working-class roots with Trump’s silver-spoon upbringing and affinity for Wall Street at a town hall in his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania, last week. “I view this as a campaign between Scranton and Park Avenue,” Biden said at the event. “How many of you all own stock in Scranton? Not a whole lot of people own stock.”

The Park Avenue Civic Society held a meeting to get the support of its residents to issue a statement condemning Biden for "singling out the residents of Park Avenue, who did nothing to ask for this attention." Several high-profile residents of Park Avenue also chimed in individually. Soledad O’Brien replied, “NYC’s Park Avenue is amazing. No need to knock it. Would be nice to have a President who sees every American as worth fighting for.” On air, MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle went further, “I don’t live on Park Avenue, but I live pretty close to it. And do you know how I got there? Working my butt off. He doesn’t want my vote?”

“High-income earners contribute a lot to the tax base,” says Andrew Rein, the president of the Citizens Budget Commission, a New York–based organization that opposes raising taxes. "I know several residents who have decided to shell out money to buy real estate near their homes because they fear the government taking over empty housing in the area. These people can't afford to drop 900 thousand dollars on real estate when they already have a mortgage, but they are willing to stretch themselves to the limit for their neighborhood. It's not a hypothetical or a talking point to the people here."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 24, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

All these people should be guillotined

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

these people have loving brain damage at best

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SpartanIvy posted:

All these people should be guillotined

Sounds like they're well on their way to doing it to themselves. All this panic about what Biden "might" do (hint: Bernie losing means there's not remotely enough political support for those ideas, he won't get those things passed in a million years) means they're making massively short-sighted financial decisions that are going to cost them a boatload.

It's a thing of beauty, really.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There is no creature more fragile than someone born to wealth and power. Biden's rhetoric is bland and inoffensive, and the most banal "Main Street not Wall Street" line he could have possibly delivered has them publicly sobbing and rending their garments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Soledad O'Brien went on Twitter and replied to almost everyone who mentioned her quote from the article to defend herself.

https://twitter.com/soledadobrien/status/1306761944041484290

https://twitter.com/soledadobrien/status/1306783133036052480

https://twitter.com/soledadobrien/status/1306764109845852160

There's a bunch more tweets where she just re-posted the same quotes to all the different people who replied to her.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why would working class americans ever look at *gestures vaguely* and believe that there's Just One America? that's not even getting in to various other marginalized groups. goddamn i need to take a walk.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some of those people should be thanking Biden.

Spending $900,000 on property when you can't afford it is BWM. But, "he made me so scared that I had to invest in NYC real estate during a time of deflated prices and historic low mortgage rates. I'll be able to make a 15% profit if I sell it in two years." is a weird complaint.

Also, lol that the Manhattan Wealth Manager who is ripping off his rich clients with 5% management fees somehow has the most realistic and grounded take.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 24, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would working class americans ever look at *gestures vaguely* and believe that there's Just One America? that's not even getting in to various other marginalized groups. goddamn i need to take a walk.

Because all Americans are just soon-to-be-rich, not working poor.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

For the life of me I do not understand why people aren't more concerned with 30 million Americans out of work and also the near death of the hospitality and travel industries which is all happening and will gently caress the stock market pretty hard regardless of who wins the election. I think that structurally things will get a ton worse under Cheeto Mussolini than Grabby Grandpa but either way we're hosed in the short to medium term.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

therobit posted:

For the life of me I do not understand why people aren't more concerned with 30 million Americans out of work and also the near death of the hospitality and travel industries which is all happening and will gently caress the stock market pretty hard regardless of who wins the election. I think that structurally things will get a ton worse under Cheeto Mussolini than Grabby Grandpa but either way we're hosed in the short to medium term.

Did you not read the article? They specifically said that they are concerned about the least fortunate and the impact financial services regulation and capital gains tax increases will have on them.

Take your class warfare elsewhere buddy.

quote:

In an interview on Wednesday with CNBC, JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, whose net worth is currently around $1.3 billion, likewise fretted about the future of the economy and, by extension, the less fortunate. “I remind people, the world, when you slow down the economy, you are hurting the disadvantaged more than anybody else,” he said.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean he's not wrong, so what we should do is keep the economy intact, but take a bunch of taxes from rich people

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Look guys, I live several miles outside an area near the place Biden implied was not the best and it hurt me emotionally. I wish Biden could care about everyone in America, like Trump.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
At least Trump actually cares about people, you can tell from the time he

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
A guy I work with moved his 401k to all cash in 2016 because he was sure that Trump would destroy the country and crash the stock market. Whatever side you're on it's good to keep in mind that the president doesn't actually impact the economy all that much.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So.... not seeing how Biden is a bigger threat here than the glaring structural problems that would only deepen under Trump. And I know Y'all aren't here to defend that, but the stock market is gonna loving crash either way and under Trump it's gonna take a lot longer to recover. I feel like it's obvious to me so what are these better educated people with access to better information seeing that I don't? Are they really that dumb? Because that's pretty loving dumb. Biden has not, to my knowledge, been talking about any sweeping changes to our tax system. I am really not sure what they are afraid of that wouldn't happen 10 times worse under Trump that is also of the magnitude to drive someone to gently caress up their investment strategy.

I am also terrified and sold nearly all my stocks but it's because I think a major correction will happen either way and if not I don't see things going up enough in a year's time that the upside risk is worse than the potential downside risk. I hear what you are saying about 2016 but 30 million people being put of work is a pretty big difference. From my standpoint there is no reason why the market should have bounced back since March when things just keep getting worse. Which is why I sold at the end of August.

therobit fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 24, 2020

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

therobit posted:

Which is why I sold at the end of August.

We appreciate the effort, but it's not necessary to create the BWM content yourself. There is already a massive surplus.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magnetic North posted:

We appreciate the effort, but it's not necessary to create the BWM content yourself. There is already a massive surplus.

Said it better than i was going to.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Did you not read the article? They specifically said that they are concerned about the least fortunate and the impact financial services regulation and capital gains tax increases will have on them.

Take your class warfare elsewhere buddy.

Jamie Dimon: "Take your average poor person. Now imagine how much worse off they'd be if you increased the tax on their dividend payments."

*aide whispers in ear*

JD: "What? What do you mean no stocks? Like, it's all in bonds or real estate?"

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Jamie Dimon: "Take your average poor person. Now imagine how much worse off they'd be if you increased the tax on their dividend payments."

*aide whispers in ear*

This definitely can affect retirees - increasing taxes on dividends or capital gains could easily screw with a bunch of people's retirements. Should be trivial to get around that with doing it in a progressive manner, and from what I've seen of the Biden proposal, that's the case.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Wicked Them Beats posted:

*aide whispers in ear*

These people should just get a small loan of a million dollars from their parents.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What even is the last few pages

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Post your humble brags

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

bob dobbs is dead posted:

like half the poo poo in the thinking fast and slow book was wrong cuz calling out bullshit in studies was tverskys job and he was dead

I literally just grabbed this book today and will start reading it in a few days. Should I just throw it in the bin?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This definitely can affect retirees - increasing taxes on dividends or capital gains could easily screw with a bunch of people's retirements. Should be trivial to get around that with doing it in a progressive manner, and from what I've seen of the Biden proposal, that's the case.

Biden's capital gains plan just treats capital gains as regular income if you make more than $1 million per year. It is literally only an issue for the 0.1%. It's very blunt and very limited.

Don't withdraw $1 million per year in retirement and you're fine.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

therobit posted:

So.... not seeing how Biden is a bigger threat here than the glaring structural problems that would only deepen under Trump.

Because the common knowledge is that "republicans are good for the economy and democrats are bad for the economy." Conservatives have done a great job pounding that message in to people's heads and people assume it to be true.

You know, despite the fact that the last 50 years have demonstrated the exact opposite.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Post your humble brags

I'll have my student loans paid off before I'm 50. Ahead of the curve!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For fresh BWM content head over to the GPU thread in SH/SC. Lots of goons buying $1500 video cards only because they couldn't handle waiting for stock of the 10% slower $700 card.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

For fresh BWM content head over to the GPU thread in SH/SC. Lots of goons buying $1500 video cards only because they couldn't handle waiting for stock of the 10% slower $700 card.

The real BWM are the people who aren't going to be able to get either card at retail and end up paying $3k on eBay.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If you live in Oregon, you can get Doritos crusted Mountain Dew cheesecake with Mountain Dew Jello topping for $12.99 per slice and $64.99 for a whole pie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you live in Oregon, you can get Doritos crusted Mountain Dew cheesecake with Mountain Dew Jello topping for $12.99 per slice and $64.99 for a whole pie.

:gonk:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I would like to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would like to know more

Portland.