Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd also add as a tip that "check out from the Internet how Yojimbo works" because the game in the PS2 era really did not give you any idea besides "throw some money at it".

Isn't Yojimbo a late game/post game summon? I wouldn't even mention him in the context of "Before I Play"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Truman Sticks posted:

Isn't Yojimbo a late game/post game summon? I wouldn't even mention him in the context of "Before I Play"

If they didn't make any substantial changes he can be found during the campaign by being thorough on one dungeon on the latter half of the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zaodai posted:

Wait, what? It doesn't do that for me, it's just your revert button and such.

I was mistaken, it’s bound to the touchpad and then R2 cycles through stuff in the menu - apparently when I hit R2 I’m often brushing the pad somehow which I’ve never had an issue with in any game before, including super fast airdasher fighters.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Der Kyhe posted:

If they didn't make any substantial changes he can be found during the campaign by being thorough on one dungeon on the latter half of the game.
If it only becomes relevant 40+ hours into the game, I think you can legitimately say that it's probably not Before I Play material.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Another THPS one; You can hold ollie as you transition to Manual to maintain most of your momentum. There are some gaps thare are impossible without this.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I checked the wiki for Days Gone, but it didn't have the answers to my specific questions, namely:

Should I rush the main quest(s) until a certain point before jumping in to open world stuff?
Right now it seems like I can prioritize trying to get rep for the camp that has weapons to buy or the camp that has motorcycle parts to buy. Is it that straightforward or are there hidden bonuses at the rep breakpoints that I may want to shoot for?
Should I be saving meat and plants for anything or do they exist just to be turned in at camps for rep and credit?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

owl_pellet posted:

I checked the wiki for Days Gone, but it didn't have the answers to my specific questions, namely:

Should I rush the main quest(s) until a certain point before jumping in to open world stuff?
Right now it seems like I can prioritize trying to get rep for the camp that has weapons to buy or the camp that has motorcycle parts to buy. Is it that straightforward or are there hidden bonuses at the rep breakpoints that I may want to shoot for?
Should I be saving meat and plants for anything or do they exist just to be turned in at camps for rep and credit?

IIRC there is a camp later that sells both guns and parts, so if you want to push for that you can.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

owl_pellet posted:

In order:

There is no real reason. The game does not lock much of any further game mechanics as you progress, so you're free to go through it at your own pace and do whatever you feel like. Days Gone is a long and crazy huge game, so you should not feel forced to do anything. You'll get burned out quickly if you try to do everything.

I recommend focusing on the third camp to which you get access first, which will be soon enough. It's the one you will "connected" to most strongly, so there are a lot more and more organic opportunities to raise it there. Otherwise, do what you feel like. The camps don't you anything in the way of rewards beyond what they advertise up-front.

Meat and plants are vendor trash, but you will also be able to use plants for crafting consumables eventually. Not everything grows in every part of the map, so you might want to keep a few of each type around.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
this is kind of a broad question, but could i get some tips for the PC rainbow six and ghost recon games? i know there's a few on the wiki already but it's not comprehensive

if i had to be specific, how do i use the planning tool for rainbow six 3? i can't find anything on it anywhere except for a shortish steam guide, and i'd like to be able to plan for myself, not just use someone else's

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I checked the wiki and searched the thread for the Arc the Lad Collection on PS1, but didn't find anything. Any tips? I know the game is a trilogy that's big on save importing, and I've heard it's easy to screw yourself over from 1 to 2 if you don't level up certain characters enough.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Any tips for Mr Drill Drill Land for the Switch? Should I be using all item gems as I find them, or hold on to them for later?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

In Paradise Killer, what should I prioritize spending blood crystals on?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Buy drinks till you get the computer upgrade, then buy the movement upgrades, then buy info from Crimson, then unlock fast travel points.

Tho do unlock some fast travel points close to suspects to save yourself some time. Blood crystals are everywhere so you shouldn't be hungry for them after a little bit, especially once you get the double jump and the air dash and you can basically fly around the island.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Haven't got round to playing it yet, but does USING the fast travel cost Blood Crystals too? And are they theoretically limited do you know?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tylana posted:

Haven't got round to playing it yet, but does USING the fast travel cost Blood Crystals too? And are they theoretically limited do you know?

Using does cost blood crystals but they are everywhere. I never had to seek them out or got stuck. That said it is better to save them and unlock at least one in each zone rather than like 5 or 6 in citizen apartments or whatever. That was a waste of crystals for me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I'd echo that. Fast travel costs blood crystals and at the start it feels like they're very scarce, but before long you're swimming in them, and if you start running out just spending 10-15 mins running around the island will net you a bunch. After you unlock the dash and double jump you'll use fast travel a lot less anyway, but one or two of the suspects are a bit out of the way and its def worth getting their fast travel points earlier.

Oh I guess a good newbie tip is every trash can and cupboard has a blood crystal in it. Or at least the vast vast majority of them. if it has a pink lid and you can open it it's probably got a blood crystal in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something for Super Mario Galaxy that I don't think the game teaches you;

While there are some exceptions, generally killing an enemy with a Spin Attack gets you Star Bits, Stomping gets you a Coin.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Need a few holes filled wrt older games:

Wizardry series (also, tell me which order I should play them, I know some later are connected plot-wise with an option to transfer characters, also if you say nothing I'm starting with Wiz4 :v:)
Goldbox series (starting with Pool of Radiance and potentially doing the series in order, if you have stuff for the Krynn series or others it's welcome too)
Dungeon Master 1 & 2 (I know blobbers aren't the hardest games to crack, but DM1 doesn't exactly have a lot of wiggle room with limited resources and I'd rather avoid restarting it after beating 80% of the game)
Black Crypt (same)
Perihelion (yes I know it's supposed to be mediocre but I love the setting/aesthetic and I'm determined to give it a solid shot)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 22, 2020

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Pierzak posted:

Wizardry series (also, tell me which order I should play them, I know some later are connected plot-wise with an option to transfer characters, also if you say nothing I'm starting with Wiz4 :v:)
Goldbox series (starting with Pool of Radiance and potentially doing the series in order, if you have stuff for the Krynn series or others it's welcome too)
Dungeon Master 1 & 2 (I know blobbers aren't the hardest games to crack, but DM1 doesn't exactly have a lot of wiggle room with limited resources and I'd rather avoid restarting it after beating 80% of the game)
Black Crypt (same)
Perihelion (yes I know it's supposed to be mediocre but I love the setting/aesthetic and I'm determined to give it a solid shot)

For Goldbox I'm gonna split between Forgotten Realms and Krynn serieses here:

Forgotten Realms: if you're seriously playing through all of em in order with one party, be aware non-human characters are absolutely not going to be viable as anything but a thief past the second game, and thieves are themselves pretty superfluous (no real lockpicking/trapspringing to be done and in combat their backstab is fiddly and underwhelming.) That said, you can't make rangers or paladins until the second game, so feel free to bring an elf fighter-mage-thief or whatever for the first game aware you're ditching em later anyway. In the 4th game it is incredibly important you win initiative rolls so EVERYONE needs good dex; hold out for good dex rolls on everyone in chargen unless you're just gonna edit stats anyway later. Also by the 4th game, the 1st ed D&D power curve is all about magic at the high end so expect to need to dual-class everyone through a spellcaster class at some point. Past that, be sure to try out different spells. Status effects and area-denial spells (Stinking Cloud in particular) can be devastating, even compared to the obvious mass-damage spells like fireball/lightning bolt/etc.

Krynn: Forget everything I said about about nonhumans; no racial level-caps in krynn so non-humans own and multiclassing rather than dual classing is great. It's ok to have a thief, as they get more (ie: any) opportunities to do thief stuff. Ideally said thief is a kender thief-cleric, although dwarven fighter-thief can also be good. This is still 1st ed dnd though so everything about spellcasting rapidly outpacing melee combat applies. In spite of that you'll still want at least Solamnic Knight for storyline/in-game event stuff. Be aware a super-common enemy in krynn, the baaz draconian, turns to stone upon dying and can thus disarm a character by trapping their weapon in the stone. Carry backup melee weapons and don't forget to re-equip sensibly after combats.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pierzak posted:

1-3 let you import characters between them chronologically (1 -> 2, 2->3). 4 is a standalone and doesn't play like the others. 6-8 I believe also supported imports between them as they were the second trilogy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Also Wizardry 5 is sort of a sequel to 3, but you do not import your party, and since it is a PC booter game nobody has ever successfully played it since 1989

(I am sure there are ways to make it work but man, was I confused when I picked it up in the mid-1990s)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the obvious bit of advice for Wizardry 4 that everyone probably already knows about is that there's a secret door in one of the walls of the starting room, it's how you get out of there.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

chairface posted:

For Goldbox I'm gonna split between Forgotten Realms and Krynn serieses here:

Forgotten Realms: if you're seriously playing through all of em in order with one party, be aware non-human characters are absolutely not going to be viable as anything but a thief past the second game, and thieves are themselves pretty superfluous (no real lockpicking/trapspringing to be done and in combat their backstab is fiddly and underwhelming.) That said, you can't make rangers or paladins until the second game, so feel free to bring an elf fighter-mage-thief or whatever for the first game aware you're ditching em later anyway. In the 4th game it is incredibly important you win initiative rolls so EVERYONE needs good dex; hold out for good dex rolls on everyone in chargen unless you're just gonna edit stats anyway later. Also by the 4th game, the 1st ed D&D power curve is all about magic at the high end so expect to need to dual-class everyone through a spellcaster class at some point. Past that, be sure to try out different spells. Status effects and area-denial spells (Stinking Cloud in particular) can be devastating, even compared to the obvious mass-damage spells like fireball/lightning bolt/etc.

Krynn: Forget everything I said about about nonhumans; no racial level-caps in krynn so non-humans own and multiclassing rather than dual classing is great. It's ok to have a thief, as they get more (ie: any) opportunities to do thief stuff. Ideally said thief is a kender thief-cleric, although dwarven fighter-thief can also be good. This is still 1st ed dnd though so everything about spellcasting rapidly outpacing melee combat applies. In spite of that you'll still want at least Solamnic Knight for storyline/in-game event stuff. Be aware a super-common enemy in krynn, the baaz draconian, turns to stone upon dying and can thus disarm a character by trapping their weapon in the stone. Carry backup melee weapons and don't forget to re-equip sensibly after combats.

Was it one of these series where evil alignment PCs betrayed your party at the very end, or was it a different D&D series?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Paper Tiger posted:

Was it one of these series where evil alignment PCs betrayed your party at the very end, or was it a different D&D series?

In Pool of Radiance that can happen. I don't think so for any other Gold Box games.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

chairface posted:

In Pool of Radiance that can happen. I don't think so for any other Gold Box games.

At the end of Pool of Radiance, when you confront the Big Baddie, the game gives each character the option to join with the dude. The player has control over this, so it's basically meaningless unless you're a Real Roleplayer who decides that this is something that La'Shy'Ra Ebonhair would totally do.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

How the hellfuck do you choose a familiar for a new character in Neverwinter Nights EE, why am I stuck with this shitass bat?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You should be able to pick a new one every time you get a new level in wizard or sorcerer. If you can't, then something has gone wonky.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

You should be able to pick a new one every time you get a new level in wizard or sorcerer. If you can't, then something has gone wonky.

I mean at character creation. I don't even see it under Packages, which is what I thought it was (possibly) under.

Are you just stuck with a bat at level 1 regardless? I swear I had something cooler the last time I was dumb enough to buy this game and download a bunch of modules and stuff. Maybe I'm completely losing my mind.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, this might be completely wrong because I haven't played the game in years myself, but I think you only get to pick it if you don't pick a pregen package. I remember than if you picked a shadow druid load-out in the original, you always started with a giant spider animal companion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, okay - if you build your entire package from scratch it lets you choose. I swear in one of the older versions picking "generalist" made you choose for yourself, but I'm probably misremembering.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Battle Brothers?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MockingQuantum posted:

When you're hiring people, backgrounds determine their base stats not their aptitudes for increasing stats in the future. Stars on a specific stat are improvements to the rolls on level up for that stat, and are unconnected to the backgrounds. Part of the cost of a more expensive brother when you hire them is going to be their equipment, so a more expensive brother is not necessarily a better brother beyond that he comes with more expensive gear (though certain backgrounds may end up being better).

There's a bunch of stuff you might just be better checking the thread or a tutorial for honestly unless you're completely averse to spoilers.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Battle Brothers is a deep and involved tactics/simulation game. With a bunch of randomized character traits. So, for most people I'd suggest looking up the main thread or a bit of an LP to get a feel, or going in blind and revelling in the discoveries and failures.

Someone else may come along with actual tips later.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

In the Yakuza 5 page, it has this tip:

quote:

In chapter 3, do not pick up any locker keys as Haruka since she can't use them and her inventory is separate from the rest of the characters until post game.

which is kind of misleading/not technically correct. I would suggest replacing it with

"In chapter 3, do not open any key lockers as Haruka, as she cant use the contents and her inventory is separate from the rest of the characters until post game. You can still pick them up however, as any she collects are shared with the other character in the chapter and he can use them to open the lockers".

As pretty much the first thing I did in the chapter is pick up a key with Haruka (out of reflex, see shiny, pick up shiny) then I remembered the tip and regretted it, but its actually fine, when the game lets you use the other character in the chapter he had the key Haruka had picked up. Its not picking them up thats the problem, its USING them you should avoid.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
This is maybe kind of a strange ask, but I'm looking more for opinions than tips.

I've been on a 3D platformer kick lately, and I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game. Is the PS4 remake/reboot/reimagining/movie tie-in/whatever fine? I have seen wildly mixed reports but I don't know how much of the bad reviews are legit grievances or just mad it isn't a perfect 1:1 of the first game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SkeletonHero posted:

This is maybe kind of a strange ask, but I'm looking more for opinions than tips.

I've been on a 3D platformer kick lately, and I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game. Is the PS4 remake/reboot/reimagining/movie tie-in/whatever fine? I have seen wildly mixed reports but I don't know how much of the bad reviews are legit grievances or just mad it isn't a perfect 1:1 of the first game.

I didnt ever play the original (actually any of the originals now I think about it), but I enjoyed the PS4 re-whatever well enough. Was a fun action platformer, not massively difficult but engaging for its runtime. Wide variety of entertaining weapons.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

SkeletonHero posted:

It's a great game but the story feels choppy since it kinda expects you to have seen the not very good movie. The story isn't the reason to play R&C, though, so you'll be fine, just ignore the non-Qwark Galactic Rangers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SkeletonHero posted:

It's very good yeah.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Thanks, all! It's next on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

As someone who is a big Ratchet and Clank fan, and has played almost every game in the series (excluding the early gen mobile games and 2 of the poorly received ps3 games), I can tell you that the ps4 reboot is probably the overall best in the series. It refines a lot of good ideas from the ps3 era and is really good. It's only glaring flaw is that one of the weapons was a pre-order bonus that you can't get anymore, but the arsenal the game sets you up with is kind of a greatest hits of the series. That's definitely the one to play