Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Here is my current Spooktober list. My self-imposed challenges so far are:

1. Watch 66+6 films, there are currently 60 on the list, which leaves some space for...
2. Do as many Fran Challenges as possible. I'm also doing as much of the Kult Challenge as I can too, minus a few films because...
3. Every film must be new to me.
4. Watch 31 movies from 31 countries. My list currently represents 37 countries.

Dachra (2018)

How are you seeing Dachra? I haven’t seen it on any streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

Do you plan on knocking out all those spooky softcore movies in a row or sprinkle them throughout as sort of a pallet cleanser? I always kind of like reading reviews of those the most because I know I'll probably never actually sit down to power through them.

I'm going to try and pick as randomly as possible to avoid any cognitive bias. I might break that rule and watch all of the AU films at once though, just so I can do a compare and contrast.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

DDD your list is super similar to my mental list I'm making up for next month. No surprise there, our tastes tend to line up :glomp:

:hfive:

Snack Bitch posted:

How are you seeing Dachra? I haven’t seen it on any streaming services.

I am a law abiding citizen, you can't trick me into eating a probe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Here's my lineup for next month. The only one's I've seen before are The Mummy and Incident at Loch Ness

Incident at Loch Ness owns, btw. I strongly recommend it, if you want to see a documentary about Werner Herzog trying and failing to make a documentary about the Loch Ness Monster

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Drunkboxer posted:

What is it about that movie that appeals so specifically to people from Winnipeg? I mean you guys were right of course, it's great, but why there?

I have no idea. It came out when my mom was like 12 and traumatized her, and just stuck with her from there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Q the winged serpent owns

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

2020 has taught me to value De Palma, who’s career in horror alone is remarkable. The horror director tournament especially sealed his place in the canon for me.

Yeah 100% agree. Always been a fan of his more well known stuff, but getting to dive into a few titles I glanced past previously really elevated my appreciation of him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw Dachra in a movie theater back in the before times.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone doing Salem horror fest now that it’s all streaming? Looks cool but also a bit pricey for my blood

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

Here's my lineup for next month. The only one's I've seen before are The Mummy and Incident at Loch Ness

Incident at Loch Ness owns, btw. I strongly recommend it, if you want to see a documentary about Werner Herzog trying and failing to make a documentary about the Loch Ness Monster

I'm Godzilla eating several movies

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tight

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not super excited about it being directed by Nicotero because I'm not really convinced he knows what he's doing but I do like the idea of making them fully animated.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Oh jesus, Danzig's Verotika just hit Shudder, lol.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

YES. this season keeps getting better.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Verotika starts out amazing but ends in such a boring slog of a short, it's a shame.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

It’s going on my Halloween list and I’m so pumped to be very disappointed/disgusted/bored but I can’t resist a good ego driven poo poo fest

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also apparently there's a Hell House LLC miniseries coming to Shudder called "The Abaddon Tapes"

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Boy the Hell House series must be doing well for Shudder, or it must be extremely cheap.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Drunkboxer posted:

I recently rewatched it for the first time since it came out and it's definitely a well made ghost movie, but scares just didn't land for me this time. I guess maybe it just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings for me even though I originally saw it so long ago. Also I've always preferred the tape footage from the original Ringu, the American tape seems a little too slick and hollywoody whereas the one in Ringu feels like something you might actually find on an unmarked tape.

I felt the opposite; I recently rewatched the original and didn't feel the jumpscares the same way I did the first time, and that the Japanese version had an extraneous segment at the end (and I feel like Naomi Watts brings a lot to the American version). I'm not disagreeing with your assessment; I just ended up liking the American remake more, which is something I never say.

fake edit: I did feel this way about The Grudge

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

married but discreet posted:

Verotika starts out amazing but ends in such a boring slog of a short, it's a shame.

Yeah I wanted to like it in a The Room kinda way, but that last story is just the drizzling shits

(the first story is hilarious though)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unless I’m doing something really wrong shudder and amazon prime shudder appear to have different content after all. Well, the same content, but the prime version definitely has less even online

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Shudder standalone has some stuff that Shudder through Amazon doesn't due to certain rights limitations, and it's a crapshoot which ones end up being omitted as far as I could tell.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah I wanted to like it in a The Room kinda way, but that last story is just the drizzling shits

(the first story is hilarious though)

I had the same experience. The first story is fascinatingly/funny bad and just makes no sense. Everything after that I can barely remember because it wasn't interesting in even a mild way.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

It's not that I don't enjoy Noonan's performances, I actually like them a lot. I just always see Tom Noonan first, and the character second. It may just be due to the types of roles in which he's cast. I have a similar mindset with John C. McGinley.

the curse of a character actor

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

And if you like The Body Snatcher, be sure to watch Bedlam. Karloff as a sadistic mental institution warden.
They make for a great double feature. Neither runs even 80 minutes long. poo poo-stirring Karloff is the best. Wise has some really great shadows in The Body Snatcher and the blu-ray restoration pops. Bedlam will almost certainly air on TCM for people with cable subs.

e: TCM Schedule
No Bedlam and The Body Snatcher doesn't air until 3am November 1st. :iiam:
Almost everything streams in their app (needs a cable login) shortly after airing.

Personal highlights:
10/2
The Haunting

10/12
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Night of the Lepus

10/14
Freaks

10/16
The Raven (1963)
Black Sabbath

10/19
Hammer Dracula
Hammer Frankenstein

10/26
Eyes Without A Face

10/31
Them!

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 25, 2020

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

If any of you have not seen Freaks, please do so and be forever thankful that Tod Browning somehow got that movie made

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
20 mins in and Verotika really is like Tommy Wiseau's Adult Goosebumps. It's kind of amazing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

From what I understand it's based on a comic that Danzig produced or whatever? I can at least give him this, that first segment has a few shots that do have that comic book look to them. Nothing like Creepshow but you can see what he's going for at the very least.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This waiter's French accent, holy poo poo. This movie is so drat awkward, I love it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Looked up the body of work of the animation studio and it's not exactly promising—most of their stuff looks like flash animation circa 2009. But fingers crossed they at least attempt to evoke an EC comics feel. The live action show is rough but it has the right heart so hopefully this is able to pull off what its counterpart couldn't quite manage with fewer limitations.

Neither story's logline seems like it's something that would take advantage of the animated format particularly, though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The final shot with our storyteller awkwardly splashing around cause Danzig never calls cut really brought me back after the last short

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If you cut out the scenes of strippers doing their routines and the Elizabeth Bathory knockoff wordlessly bathing in blood, the runtime would be reduced by at least 30 mins. Overall, each segment is more bare on plot and fun than the last. That final segment was a total slog though, entertainment wise, but still bafflingly bad in a kind of way that's weirdly fascinating. It's all so awkward. Even the host is devoid of any charisma, delivering her intros with this stilted deadpan tone. Danzig should've just made countess Drusilla or whatever the host, introducing the segments from her blood tub, cut the final segment out completely and kept the whole thing down to an hour long failed pilot.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ze neck breakah!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I watched House II: The Second Story, and could barely contain my exuberance when dinosaurs showed up . More films should throw some dinosaurs into the mix.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Karloff posted:

I watched House II: The Second Story, and could barely contain my exuberance when dinosaurs showed up . More films should throw some dinosaurs into the mix.

Only the first House is a horror movie. The sequels went full wacky comedy, and IMO are better for it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:frogsiren: TONIGHT:frogsiren:

:spooky: Rabid Vs. The Lair of the White Worm, FRIDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Rabid
2110 EST The Lair of the White Worm

:woof: TOMORROW :woof:

:spooky: Happiness of the Katakuris Vs. RotLD 3, SATURDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1750 EST Return of the Living Dead 2
1930 EST The Happiness of the Katakuris
2130 EST Return of the Living Dead 3

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's finally the 25th so my embargo against horror movies has finally ended. Gonna start with the Peter Cushing Frankenstein films in order. I am skipping The Horror of Frankenstein.

Fran post the thread!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 25, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I cant start till next week.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Arrow announced a limited edition 4k UHD of Tremors, and I pre-ordered that poo poo so fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFj-kuGoRFt/?igshid=h79bob0odtz4

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Franchescanado posted:

Arrow announced a limited edition 4k UHD of Tremors, and I pre-ordered that poo poo so fast.

Possst the threaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

WHERE DO I PUT MY MONEY