Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I think my first TIE/IN gimmick loadout is going to be Ion Blasters + Seeker Mines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Will be holding left roll the entire time.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Tom Guycot posted:

One thing that makes me a little less worried for the VR implementation, I found out the lead gameplay designer on squadrons, is the same person who made that great battle of endor VR experience like, 5 years ago back in the DK2 days. He also posted a picture of his computer setup for squadrons in his home office and he had a hotas attached to his chair and a ceiling cable holder setup for his VR helmet. So it seems the VR implementation is in good hands.

(for anyone that never saw it, the VR experience in question. in 2015 this was mind blowing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gBzhfy3Ds

Hah, what an amazing story. I've thought about that experience on and off over the last few years, it was one of the most memorable early VR experiences I had. My young nephew became obsessed with it, and would always ask to play it. You could tell the creator had history with X-wing.

This game can't come out quick enough.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Are people genuinely mad that the sides have been balanced from a starting point of symmetry and then tweaking the nature of that symmetry and adding a little bit of asymmetry for flavour?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It's Star Wars. Of course people are mad.

I'm gonna play a new TIE Fighter game in goddamn VR so I am mega happy thrilled time :woop:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shine posted:

I'm gonna play a new TIE Fighter game in goddamn VR so I am mega happy thrilled time :woop:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

People expecting "new TIE Fighter" are going to be in for a disappointment I think.

I'm expecting it to still be good and fun, but definitely not the same kind of game as X-Wing or TIE Fighter were.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Drone posted:

People expecting "new TIE Fighter" are going to be in for a disappointment I think.

I'm expecting it to still be good and fun, but definitely not the same kind of game as X-Wing or TIE Fighter were.

Your FACE is a disappointment.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’m ready to SLAM

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rage-saq posted:

Hi. I’m a VR content creator, I know how to solve these problems. I understand that almost all game devs don’t.
It’s a little worrying but at the same time I know it’s par for the course.

No offence, but your style of VR content isn’t exactly what I’d look for in terms of VR videos of in-cockpit games. It is however daft that they don’t just use a TrackIR to fake the VR experience for a video.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just want more gameplay footage. Maybe a demo mission? Anything?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Am I the only one that's disappointed that there doesn't appear to be an animation of you getting into your ship/flying off whatever capital ship you were on/lightspeeding into battle? For some reason I was really attached to that little moment in Wing Commander/XWing v Tie, you know, for the immersion

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

black.lion posted:

Am I the only one that's disappointed that there doesn't appear to be an animation of you getting into your ship/flying off whatever capital ship you were on/lightspeeding into battle? For some reason I was really attached to that little moment in Wing Commander/XWing v Tie, you know, for the immersion

There was that clip where the TIEs docked with the small carrier ship before lightspeed.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No offence, but your style of VR content isn’t exactly what I’d look for in terms of VR videos of in-cockpit games. It is however daft that they don’t just use a TrackIR to fake the VR experience for a video.

I do a lot more than what ends up on YouTube.
No trackir support, they used a mouse to simulate it in their vids.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

There was that clip where the TIEs docked with the small carrier ship before lightspeed.

Umm what? Did you just make my day 1000x better? Where is this clip?

Also I really wish I could buy a THRUSTmaster 1600000000 HOTAS setup for less than $250 i know for a fact as soon as i boot this i'm going to wish i had a joystick

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

black.lion posted:

Umm what? Did you just make my day 1000x better? Where is this clip?

Also I really wish I could buy a THRUSTmaster 1600000000 HOTAS setup for less than $250 i know for a fact as soon as i boot this i'm going to wish i had a joystick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEjIEP1038&t=140s

When they jump to lightspeed you can see the bow of the carrier corvette or whatever it is move with the TIE

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Nice yea I think I see what yer sayin! Whew that's super awesome if so, I know its mb silly but I'd be super disappointed if missions started with "camera fades in, you're already in your ship approaching the battle" and then you finish the last objective and someone on comms says "good work" and it fades out... something super nostalgic to me about leaving the capital ship/base > doing the mission > returning to the hangar yourself

plz plz plz align with my expectationsssssssss

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I think the Jump to Lightspeed effect is too iconic for anyone who has the slightest understanding of star wars to ever cut.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm gonna main Y-Wings and I don't care what anyone says.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yeah for sure, I more want to actually take control of the ship before it leaves the hanger/undocks from the carrier, and to fly it back into the hanger/docking - you know, the pre- and post- lightspeed stuff...but you're right they almost certainly have to have lightspeed in there at the very least

Now to continue my search for a reasonably priced Thrustmaster

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Red Rox posted:

I’m ready to SLAM

request for reinforcements...denied

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Drone posted:

:same:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Welp sure enough confirmed you can dock yoself with your flagship, to change ships mid-fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJH4g-nRIY&t=190s

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Drone posted:

You're a fool, and you'll die a fool!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I decided to preorder on Steam due to lack of any VR footage/tangible evidence of VR being good. I can always buy it on PS4/5 when it's like 20€.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

black.lion posted:

Welp sure enough confirmed you can dock yoself with your flagship, to change ships mid-fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJH4g-nRIY&t=190s

gently caress yeah. Wipe out the enemy fighters so I can switch to a bomber and do runs on the capital ships

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Drone posted:

Us next week Friday:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What Discord should we be using to organize poo poo?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Welp I was able to get the THRUSTMASTER joystick + throttle separately for what I believe are only double the usual cost, so I'ma count that as a win I suppose.

One week one week one week

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Us next week Friday:

Just gonna give an early warning that if we're ever in a game with comms there will be a significant chance I will be loudly yelling that the Y-Wing is the workhorse of the Rebel fleet.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Squadrons unlocks on a rolling regional midnight basis, so, New Zealanders (and those that uhhhhh ACT like them) will be able to unlock pretty early on Thursday.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Just gonna give an early warning that if we're ever in a game with comms there will be a significant chance I will be loudly yelling that the Y-Wing is the workhorse of the Rebel fleet.

im sorry i cant hear you over the sound of these giant engines next to my head

*peels away in a-wing*

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

rage-saq posted:

Squadrons unlocks on a rolling regional midnight basis, so, New Zealanders (and those that uhhhhh ACT like them) will be able to unlock pretty early on Thursday.

I've never been able to get a VPN working properly to unlock poo poo early.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

It's not quick or flashy, but it gets the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iec-otO4VPQ

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I totally forgot to check this during the technical test but is there a button to open/close the S-foils on the X-wing?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

TunnelBear has always been my go-to for VPNing

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've never done it but I hear its no big deal for Steam or Origin.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I totally forgot to check this during the technical test but is there a button to open/close the S-foils on the X-wing?

I don't think so, the EA CM has avoided answering this question so my best guess is no. Kind of like private matches/servers.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jose Oquendo posted:

What Discord should we be using to organize poo poo?

Some SWS organizing has already started on this Goon discord: https://discord.gg/zZ6HJA

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're in luck. Origin is the ONLY platform I've ever had it work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Us next week Friday:

More like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwYj4AqB6Q