Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I thought the idea was that Homelander was the first supe, and that's why he grew up in an isolated lab, and once he grew up, they started giving it to babies to be raised in a normal environment.

Did I make that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm sure there have been off-brand heroes and hero companies in universe...and they've just been really unlucky.

Lots of weird electrical fires and unexplained car crashes, I guess. :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

GigaPeon posted:

So I thought the idea was that Homelander was the first supe, and that's why he grew up in an isolated lab, and once he grew up, they started giving it to babies to be raised in a normal environment.

Did I make that up?

He wasn’t the first supe ever, but I think he was the first to be given Compound V at birth (successfully anyway), whereas earlier supes like Stormfront were given V when they were already adults

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
HL was the first supe baby and the strongest that's why they kept him locked up.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The first that didn't die a horrible death (probably). Same goes for Stormfront.

Edit: How hosed up is that. Her husband basically exprimented on her just like he did to the people in the Dachau (?) concentration camp. And she calls it a blessing.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 25, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

itry posted:

The first that didn't die a horrible death (probably). Same goes for Stormfront.

Edit: How hosed up is that. Her husband basically exprimented on her just like he did to the people in the Dachau (?) concentration camp. And she calls it a blessing.
The system worked for her, why should she have a problem? If it didn't work for others, that's their fault.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

itry posted:

I took that scene as if she knowingly volunteered for him to do that, knowing the risks. Anything to advance the "master race." She absolutely sees it as a blessing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It doesn't make much sense for Vought to have successfully given her compound V as an adult though, does it? Homelander was basically grown in a lab, all the other supes were dosed as children, and Stormfront is running an entire secret facility where they're trying to figure out how to give V to adults successfully. None of that really makes any sense if Vought had it figured out from the jump.

So either that's a plot hole or Vought groomed Stormfront from infancy in more ways than one. Yikes.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hulk Krogan posted:

It doesn't make much sense for Vought to have successfully given her compound V as an adult though, does it? Homelander was basically grown in a lab, all the other supes were dosed as children, and Stormfront is running an entire secret facility where they're trying to figure out how to give V to adults successfully. None of that really makes any sense if Vought had it figured out from the jump.

So either that's a plot hole or Vought basically groomed Stormfront from infancy in more ways than one. Yikes.

I see it as she got extremely lucky. Like lamplighter said they’re still trying to perfect v for adults.

I would assume Stormfront wasn’t his first subject to test v on.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yet another amazing episode.
Stormfront is going to very interested in Homelander`s kid i think, it must have been the sorrow of her life that she could`nt pass her powers on and watch everyone she knew die.
Maybe that`s what will set off a split between them. He`s not a great dad obviously but on some level i think he wants Ryan to grow free and happy. He can never forget the things that was done to him growing up. Seeing Ryan confined to a similar lab to find out the secret of how to pass down supedom migth be the straw that breaks the camel`s back. That and feeling like he is being managed by a woman of somewhat equal strength and superior wits. The narcissim, the fragility of the male ego and the little humanity he has left in the form of resentment for his "childhood" could drive them apart. Stormfront and Homelander together seem too strong to be overcome by the boys and their allies, but split them off and it`s tough but winnable figth.
I bet it will go something like the boys mortally wound her after a horrible battle, homelanders swoops in and mercy kills her. Then he spins it to his favour, becoming the hero that saved America from "extremists on both sides".

Can`t wait to see what they do with the church, it has the potential to be really funny. But i gotta say, weird holywood cult seems a little tame as villain after Nazis with dreams of world conquest and racial purging.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

eSporks posted:

The system worked for her, why should she have a problem? If it didn't work for others, that's their fault.

It also explains (in her hosed up mind) why she's so annoyed at the failures at the lab. She was injected as an adult, and it worked out fine. What the gently caress is wrong with these assholes?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One thing is bugging me - before the revelation of compound V, how did Vought explain to the world that every single supe worked for them?

Huh, that's a good point. What kind of company do they even market themselves as in the TV series?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crespolini posted:

Huh, that's a good point. What kind of company do they even market themselves as in the TV series?

They hire out supes to cities. I think it was 300 million a year quoted for that politician that got killed by HL.

Obviously they do merch and tv/movies too in universe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Not sure what you're referencing specifically, but until this week there wasn't. Apparently someone had a water proof GoPro that The Deep had some underwater friends dig up. One hell of an advertisement for GoPro, surviving a plane crash and whatever depths the wreckage sank to and however long it was down there, but it's plausible enough for television for me.

I thought he mentioned some of the debris washed up near Norway or something like that and that’s where his “contacts” found it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mameluke posted:

Haha, you need a little suspension of disbelief. Every Maeve scene has had me on edge. She keeps talking about how much she hates Homelander on set, at home in the tower; all places where it is totally reasonable to assume Homelander is only a few floors away and can hear you.

I think someone else mentioned it, but the Deep is phenomenally powerful. He basically can impart human intelligence to fish and then communicate with them.

I also don't really get the sense that Stormfront is going to get chumped out. It really seems like she's on par with Homelander; his lasers don't even scar her even if they can burn her, she is ageless which no other supe seems to have so far, and outside of physical power she probably owns a considerable amount of Vought herself, being the founder's immortal Nazi wife. Sure, she looked a little uncomfortable when he choked her, but honestly not in the way other characters do.

Woooooow, that's an interesting take on his powers... I like it, it would explain why most of the animals he talks to seem to be frat-bro types.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ZearothK posted:

Cindy is looking like an A-level supe, I think she could probably be challenge for Stormfront if she had some training and wasn't doped up. Really curious about what's going to happen with her character.

I'm curious about her too. How big a threat she depend on whether Cindy's power needs her hands. Also helps explain why Stormfront wasn't at all phased by Kimiko's brother. She's dealt with that kind of power before. I wonder how many telekinetik's wrists she's crumpled.

Also exciting that this gives Stormfront another way to be a bigoted piece of poo poo: hating "imperfect" supes .

Hulk Krogan posted:

So either that's a plot hole or Vought groomed Stormfront from infancy in more ways than one. Yikes.

(handwaving) Well, a lot of Vought's research journals were lost when they fled Germany, we've been trying to recapture his original formula ever since, etc, etc.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 25, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, Deep might actually be one of the only people on the planet who could conceivably kill Homelander. He's not exactly "Master of all the ocean" but he does know a good portion of it. I'd assume HL can drown. Somehow blind him with some zinc powder and rush him to the bottom of the ocean, spin him around a few times to disorient him, and then just let nature take its course.

Granted, I dunno if he couldn't just laser the zinc out of his eyes, or if he really can get disoriented, but hey, neat thought experiment.

Also, if Deep fucks up like he normally does, and commands most of the ocean life to try and stop HL from surfacing, then there's mass death and the extinction of all life on earth due to mass death in the ocean. We get both the end of Homelander AND Deep loving up innocent sea life again.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

Hulk Krogan posted:

Well I think they never said that it doesn't work at all on adults. That's how all those terrorists got super powers after all. It's just unreliable and more likely to kill you then give you super powers. She does say she was the first successful test subject, not the first test subject period. I bet there were alot of misfires both before and after her, until they found out it was more consistent when given to babies.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Beef Stew posted:

Well I think they never said that it doesn't work at all on adults. That's how all those terrorists got super powers after all. It's just unreliable and more likely to kill you then give you super powers. She does say she was the first successful test subject, not the first test subject period. I bet there were alot of misfires both before and after her, until they found out it was more consistent when given to babies.

Yeah we don't really know the failure rate of giving V to adults since we only ever see the survivors, but I imagine there were plenty more failed attempts than successful ones given the hunch/guess Kimiko's brother's captors made with him. For all we know Stormfront was the only fluke success out of hundreds of reich volunteers/prisoners. I do wonder if Stormfront or those affiliated to her had a subtle hand in facilitating Homelander's terrorist distribution network to try and widen their sample pool or something?

Also, wasn't baby-Homelander dosed up with far more V than other infants to see if they could ramp up the resulting power level?

w0o0o0o fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 25, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought the reveal was going to be daughter rather than wife but other than that had it.

Also people are massively overusing spoiler tags right now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I did this once while surfing, it was a Hero5 and those were advertised to be waterproof to like 15m or something, since I didn't have it in a protected case, made for a very interesting video because the undertow kept it moving (also made it very difficult to find, but I did). Deep said his aquatic friends found it floating amid some of the wreckage, do those plastic cases float? I know some do, for putting larger digital cameras and stuff in them

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I love the fact that their plan for breaking into a maximum security facility is to set off an explosion to break through the fence, then wear uniforms and pretend like they belong there, despite the fact that almost everyone in the facility would be familiar with one another and they would arouse suspicion almost immediately.

Their idea of providing back up security is parking their van in an open field, clearly visible from the upper floors of the building.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I thought the reveal was going to be daughter rather than wife but other than that had it.

Also people are massively overusing spoiler tags right now.

We should be treating it like it aired on TV on Thursday night.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any idea why only 4 eps of the boys is showing up on my mobile prime video app? What the hell

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Immortality is such a mindfuck, imagine seeing your biological daughter die from Alzheimer's/old age.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Aces High posted:

I did this once while surfing, it was a Hero5 and those were advertised to be waterproof to like 15m or something, since I didn't have it in a protected case, made for a very interesting video because the undertow kept it moving (also made it very difficult to find, but I did). Deep said his aquatic friends found it floating amid some of the wreckage, do those plastic cases float? I know some do, for putting larger digital cameras and stuff in them

The one they recovered is just a regular dive grip and they sink like a fuckin' rock.

If I recall correctly the plane went down in like the middle of the ocean and it definitely wouldn't have survived that - a regular old waterpoof case like 99.9% of people would own is good up to about 100 feet, and even the expensive deep-sea housing won't survive below 200. Realistically the odds of a GoPro surviving a plane crash and sinking in the middle of the ocean is 0% but eh, lots of details in this show wouldn't hold up to scrutiny and telling a good story is more important anyway.

Completely unrelated but my French buddy keeps ranting to me about how terrible Frenchie's accent is lol. I didn't realize the actor was Israeli and I assumed he was doing a slightly exaggerated accent for TV audiences but apparently its so bad that my friend needed to turn on subtitles because he couldn't understand what he was supposed to be saying half the time when he sprinkles in French words.

Then again I understand him just fine and French people are incredible language snobs so vOv.

I am slightly disappointed that we're probably not getting the baguette jousting bit from the comic, even though that was almost certainly just Ennis getting a jingoistic jab at the French after 9/11.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

shut the gently caress up bioshuffle

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blaise330 posted:

Immortality is such a mindfuck, imagine seeing your biological daughter die from Alzheimer's/old age.

Yeah, I think they explored that with deadpool.

Basically floating through space, still alive, millions of years after the death of the universe or something.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

We don’t know if Homelander passed his powers down to his kid or Ryan got dosed with Compound V like other prenatals.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

We don’t know if Homelander passed his powers down to his kid or Ryan got dosed with Compound V like other prenatals.

Gonna go with dosing cause I honestly can't see any company being dumb or crazy enough to do something to affect the germline of the species. We would literally be breeding our own eventual extinction.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The one they recovered is just a regular dive grip and they sink like a fuckin' rock.

If I recall correctly the plane went down in like the middle of the ocean and it definitely wouldn't have survived that - a regular old waterpoof case like 99.9% of people would own is good up to about 100 feet, and even the expensive deep-sea housing won't survive below 200. Realistically the odds of a GoPro surviving a plane crash and sinking in the middle of the ocean is 0% but eh, lots of details in this show wouldn't hold up to scrutiny and telling a good story is more important anyway.

Completely unrelated but my French buddy keeps ranting to me about how terrible Frenchie's accent is lol. I didn't realize the actor was Israeli and I assumed he was doing a slightly exaggerated accent for TV audiences but apparently its so bad that my friend needed to turn on subtitles because he couldn't understand what he was supposed to be saying half the time when he sprinkles in French words.

Then again I understand him just fine and French people are incredible language snobs so vOv.

I am slightly disappointed that we're probably not getting the baguette jousting bit from the comic, even though that was almost certainly just Ennis getting a jingoistic jab at the French after 9/11.

In the comics, Frenchie is from a real backwoods French town that has a weird dialect. I wonder if that played into the show.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Gonna go with dosing cause I honestly can't see any company being dumb or crazy enough to do something to affect the germline of the species. We would literally be breeding our own eventual extinction.

Nothing says foresight and long term thinking more than the phrase ‘American corporate governance’

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think my favorite part of this episode was the tiny detail of Bossy being dented into Love Sausage's forehead :haw:

Ending music was one hell of a choice as well.

My dumb rear end got hung up on "there's no blood behind his head; Love Sausage will return" and then farted into thinking he had some sort of Cyrillic head tattoo

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Was that it? I remember reading somewhere that his French is so bad in the comics because he's probably not actually French. His backstory is full of crazy poo poo that doesn't make any sense, thinking he's French could just be another delusion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Beef Stew posted:

Was that it? I remember reading somewhere that his French is so bad in the comics because he's probably not actually French. His backstory is full of crazy poo poo that doesn't make any sense, thinking he's French could just be another delusion.

I got that off the wiki because I only vaguely remembered what the deal was the comics. Could absolutely be a mistake on the wiki.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Isn't Frenchie supposed to be Algerian?

Edit: thread's moving fast

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

itry posted:

I think you can still be angry with someone even if you aren't personally invested in their opinions. She probably should've just grabbed the pistol, but I think she was trying to get Hughie stabilized as fast as possible and wasn't really thinking. Just reacting.
Also the guy wasn't dead, but he was probably not going to live for long bleeding from his head in the middle of nowhere.

:hmmyes:
Yeah that guy is toast. Like you said: head wound in the middle of nowhere gushing out blood from a head wound. Wish they had wrapped a towel or a jacket around his head at least. Yeah she was freaked out and worried, even her blast was meant to just stun but he landed on his head and ....welp. I will say someone who truly feels no remorse would never stare so long at the regular guy bleeding to death on the ground. Like I said before, she is trying to get herself to believe that she didn't give a toss. Happens in real life too. Say you don't give a gently caress and the other guy deserved it enough and you might believe it one day as long as you keep moving fast enough.

One other things I thought about while I was talking about how she lost her moorings before. She is especially vulnerable in this state and perfect for someone not nice (like Butcher maybe) to talk into a new crusade.

10 Beers posted:

I took that scene as if she knowingly volunteered for him to do that, knowing the risks. Anything to advance the "master race." She absolutely sees it as a blessing.

There are real life precedents to things like this sadly. Her speeches about purity and other races really are one of the few times her character reveals her real face. She is a true believer. "We are in a war for the culture. The other races are grinding us down and taking what is rightfully ours but we can fight back." Using that and the offer for Homelander to lead them was so seductive to HL. Scary, scary woman. Even if she dies soon it will implant seeds within Homelander that do not bode well for anyone. Aya Cash killed it with those speeches to Homelander and Starr, as always, was just bloody mind blowing. Homelander is such a schmuck but a dangerous schmuck. I really don't think anyone else could do this justice. His smouldering rage with the flowers was so good...and he just stared at flowers.

Baudolino posted:

Yet another amazing episode.
Can`t wait to see what they do with the church, it has the potential to be really funny. But i gotta say, weird hollywood cult seems a little tame as villain after Nazis with dreams of world conquest and racial purging.
I dunno... Homelander is starting to like the idea of him as the Master of the World. Maybe the title God Emperor would appeal to him more. This show is going 4 or 5 seasons yeah? Thought I heard something before Season 1 came out. Even if they aren't the main bad guy they could be a nice secondary antagonist until Homelander decides to have enough of their poo poo and eyebeam them all. I could see Boys Scientology trying to manipulate Homelander and fairly so very badly. Could be a way to setup part of the 7 versus Homelander.

Still wonder how powerful Lamplighter could be. Can he create objects from the flame? We saw him change the intensity and volume of flame. Also wondering if he can use comic rules to fly. So the Boys have Starlight and Kimiko for some light blasts and spiderman level strength and the Lamplighter doing Pyro. I would rather nobody else get V as I like the ratio of humans to supes. The Church has Deep, A-Train and Maeve (as an ally?). Does deep have super strength? Thought I remembered he had some... just not in Maeve's or Homelanders class but, then again, I have watched a ton of DC cartoons and might be confusing him with Aquaman.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Woooooow, that's an interesting take on his powers... I like it, it would explain why most of the animals he talks to seem to be frat-bro types.
Holy gently caress Dr Steve Brule... I didn't even put two and two together. I like this take and it really does explain why so many fish want him to do naughty things to them or partay.

Also can someone post the comic panels with Frenchie's backwoods baguette jousting? That sounds brilliant.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 25, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Extremely old lightning wizard seduces the most powerful being in the world, whose parentage is shrouded in mystery and maybe unnatural.

Ok wizard is a stretch, but still I can't help but think they'll make at least a joke of the Star Wars prequels parallel at some point. The lightning really reminded me of Palpatine in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

I love the fact that their plan for breaking into a maximum security facility is to set off an explosion to break through the fence, then wear uniforms and pretend like they belong there, despite the fact that almost everyone in the facility would be familiar with one another and they would arouse suspicion almost immediately.

Their idea of providing back up security is parking their van in an open field, clearly visible from the upper floors of the building.

Eh, the thing is, it isn't a government's top secret facility, it's a corporation's. Even the need for security can never seem to matter more to gigantic corporations than increasing profitability. They probably use staffing sub contractors, and pay most positions as little as possible, thus they most likely have a decent turnover rate.

They would be relying on the fact that everyone would have signed lots of NDAs and they have your address, work history and list of people you trusted to name as references. If you leak, Lamplighter will come see you and express Vought's displeasure. Plus they probably lie to most of the staff and say these are just dangerous supes they find and contain, instead of create.

The van in a field though, I'll agree was odd. Seems like the parking lot would be way less conspicuous. Even better, they should have stolen a food truck and had Hewie serving waffle fry nachos as cover.