Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Friendly reminder that there is a pretty active goon bike discord.
https://discord.gg/7P3gzXR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So I've got a creak somewhere on my bike that's been annoying me. Cleaned and regreased the BB, cranks, pedals, headset, had the brakes bled and adjusted with new pads, torqued all the bolts and checked the cassette is tightened properly and I think I've finally found what's making the noise. It's my chainring where it's attached to my crank.

And like every other maintenance job it seems, I have to buy a new tool to be able to get the chainring off the crank. It never ends!

Hopefully this will fix the creak though because it's pretty obnoxious.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

So I've got a creak somewhere on my bike that's been annoying me. Cleaned and regreased the BB, cranks, pedals, headset, had the brakes bled and adjusted with new pads, torqued all the bolts and checked the cassette is tightened properly and I think I've finally found what's making the noise. It's my chainring where it's attached to my crank.

And like every other maintenance job it seems, I have to buy a new tool to be able to get the chainring off the crank. It never ends!

Hopefully this will fix the creak though because it's pretty obnoxious.

What tool do you think you need to take the chainring off the crank? This is generally just allen keys.

I looked back at your posts, looks like maybe you have the RF Aeffect chainring thing? You use a BB tool on the inside to loosen it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXv9CtoBcE

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Made a few more adjustments to the hei hei

Firstly, new bars and stem. Went to a raceface 800mm carbon bar from the stock 780. 780 felt fine but I am tall with long arms and the 800s also feel ok. It was more for the sake of carbon and lighter than any fit concerns. Rise and sweep are also about the same. Went with chunky esi grips instead of regular, and also raised my levers up a touch. The bigger change is the 45mm stem coming from 60. This bike has felt a little long and the shorter stem really seems to have helped on the first ride the other day. Seems like I'm a little more in control and the handling has quickened up. It was a little sluggish to change direction in the tighter corners.

It also seems like the smaller volume spacer in the shock is an improvement for me. I get to have the rear end feeling a little more like I want and it used most of the travel down my nearest "rough" descent. I'm keeping track of my settings and changes in a spreadsheet. Initial pressures were 67 in the fork and 185 in the shock, and I've gone up just a touch for today to 69 and 190. Also gave it one more click of rebound front and rear, but that's just to stay at fox's recommendation. Fork is a 34 SC with standard grip damper and rear is a float dps, so ok but nothing fancy. Would be nice to have a low speed compression adjuster on the fork.

Next change will probably be a new set of cranks. I'm annoyed at how heavy the truvativ descendants and stamped steel ring are, and that they put them on an XC bike. Just going to sram's aluminum chainring is like a 100g saving, so getting something like raceface's carbon cranks or even the carbon gx ones plus a new ring is going to save close to a pound. Then some XC tires next spring and I might like going uphill on this thing a little more. Still probably going to need a new xc race bike next season though. Either keep this and get an fsi or sell it and buy a scalpel. Two bikes better than one right?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

What tool do you think you need to take the chainring off the crank? This is generally just allen keys.

I looked back at your posts, looks like maybe you have the RF Aeffect chainring thing? You use a BB tool on the inside to loosen it off.

Yeah it's a raceface turbine chainring with a cinch bolt design and yep it uses a BB tool to get it out. Since I have a pressfit BB I don't have the tool already and it's just another one I need to buy, was just venting I guess!

In other news my lights have arrived so I'll finally get to start night riding now!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

jamal posted:

Made a few more adjustments to the hei hei

Firstly, new bars and stem. Went to a raceface 800mm carbon bar from the stock 780. 780 felt fine but I am tall with long arms and the 800s also feel ok. It was more for the sake of carbon and lighter than any fit concerns. Rise and sweep are also about the same. Went with chunky esi grips instead of regular, and also raised my levers up a touch. The bigger change is the 45mm stem coming from 60. This bike has felt a little long and the shorter stem really seems to have helped on the first ride the other day. Seems like I'm a little more in control and the handling has quickened up. It was a little sluggish to change direction in the tighter corners.

It also seems like the smaller volume spacer in the shock is an improvement for me. I get to have the rear end feeling a little more like I want and it used most of the travel down my nearest "rough" descent. I'm keeping track of my settings and changes in a spreadsheet. Initial pressures were 67 in the fork and 185 in the shock, and I've gone up just a touch for today to 69 and 190. Also gave it one more click of rebound front and rear, but that's just to stay at fox's recommendation. Fork is a 34 SC with standard grip damper and rear is a float dps, so ok but nothing fancy. Would be nice to have a low speed compression adjuster on the fork.

Next change will probably be a new set of cranks. I'm annoyed at how heavy the truvativ descendants and stamped steel ring are, and that they put them on an XC bike. Just going to sram's aluminum chainring is like a 100g saving, so getting something like raceface's carbon cranks or even the carbon gx ones plus a new ring is going to save close to a pound. Then some XC tires next spring and I might like going uphill on this thing a little more. Still probably going to need a new xc race bike next season though. Either keep this and get an fsi or sell it and buy a scalpel. Two bikes better than one right?

Are your race courses pretty technical? It could be that a more capable bike is faster overall. I bet carbon wheels on your current bike would be as fast as a full xc bike with alloy rims. I guess it all just depends on how much you're willing to spend for some pretty marginal gains.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Forgot the condo at winter park didn’t allow bikes in the units. So what’s the best bet: locked in the car or locked in the rack...

Should note the car is in underground parking

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 25, 2020

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

if you have multiple then locked in the car, locked to each other, covered with a blanket imo

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Forgot the condo at winter park didn’t allow bikes in the units. So what’s the best bet: locked in the car or locked in the rack...

I'd just bring a tarp to protect the floor and bring them inside the condo anyway. Theft has been pretty bad this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ropes4u posted:

Should note the car is in underground parking

What a dumb condo rule. Glad I don't have to deal with that.

Locked in the car, locked to the car with a cable, locked to each other with a u lock, covered up is what I would do.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
I generally avoid the question by not asking and just rolling bikes straight to the elevator.

spwrozek posted:

Locked in the car, locked to the car with a cable, locked to each other with a u lock, covered up is what I would do.

Agree 100% with this. Can't be too careful if they're out of your sight. I'm really surprised that Winter Park would have a rule like that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Bring the wheels in one trip, frame another. It’s parts for repair.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think if you don't put the wheels back on it's not a bike because it has zero wheels sooooo

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

What a dumb condo rule. Glad I don't have to deal with that.

They have signs everywhere. We locked em to the rack and backed the car against the concrete wall, the garage has a closed door and I’m covered by covered by insurance. Won’t be back to this unit.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Steve French posted:

at the risk of being a goony goon, IMO throw out the camelbak and get a hydrapak bladder. My Osprey backpack came with one and it is so much better than the camelbak's . The folding top is much less of a pain in the rear end than the twist lid. I don't know if you can buy the one I have by itself, but it also has a semi-rigid back to it so that the surface that faces your back is still flat when full.

I emailed Camelbak and they are sending me a free replacement cap. Pretty nice of them.

My pack is an ancient MULE I purchased about 14 years ago and I use it once or twice per year for my trip to Allegripis in Pennsylvania. I replaced the bladder at some point several years ago and I don't want to spend any more money on this thing than I need to.

Edit to say I went into my local bike shop today to get a new valve core and their walls were completely full of bikes again and they had a huge stack of new bikes in boxes in the center of the store. It was a good sight after being in there a few times during the pandemic and seeing their walls empty of bikes.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 25, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It is my wife and I’s first time at a downhill park, we will definitely be doing this more often.

TLDR: downhill is fun

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

2021 5010's won't be in my shop til mid november I'm gonna go crazy

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ropes4u posted:

It is my wife and I’s first time at a downhill park, we will definitely be doing this more often.

For sure. WP has a really good setup as well. Fun trails, great progression.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm waiting for a Fuel EX 8 arriving hopefully around the same time. There's gonna be snow everywhere by then :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vote_no posted:

There's gonna be snow everywhere by then :smith:
Where we are we don't stop for snow but if I have to immediately stick a pair of studded tires on my fresh bike I'm gonna be livid.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Yes! Ha ...haha. Yes!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

evil_bunnY posted:

Curiosity, why lean towards a 27.5 bike vs 29er?

Interesting to see how things currently still seem to be trending more and more 29er these days but I can see some specific appeal for a more maneuverable bike in some cases.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Levitate posted:

Interesting to see how things currently still seem to be trending more and more 29er these days but I can see some specific appeal for a more maneuverable bike in some cases.

Seeing all the pros having massive crashes because their 29" rear wheel hit them in the rear end as they tucked over a jump is almost enough for me to just want to stick to 27.5". I also feel like it must be a stronger wheel in general, being smaller.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

I've gotten my rear end sanded by my backwheel enough on a 27.5.

Serious answer, I don't think one's necessarily superior to the other but I much prefer the agility of 27.5 and I can easily live with the reduced roll-over capacity, especially since half my riding it at the local skatepark with our kids.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think it definitely depends a lot on personal preference. I'm 37, pretty much the right intersection of ability and experience before the inevitable (and hopefully slow) decline. I'm shredding my 27.5 way harder than I ever rode my 29. I even rented the 29 version of my bike when I was in Washington and just did not enjoy it nearly as much, and even had some numbness in my fingers for a couple weeks afterward.

I just hope they keep making awesome bikes no matter the wheel size, because if I didn't have mountain biking I'd have probably gone crazy sitting at home the last 7 months.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Had a shameful ride today. First really steep sustained climb in awhile, and my knees especially but also some other leg muscles just hurt like crazy, and I had to bail not too far into it. Ive been getting back into squatting heavy and running and I guess I'm now too old or fat to do all that at once. Did get to ride in all the aspens as they're changing so thats rad at least.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

I think it definitely depends a lot on personal preference. I'm 37, pretty much the right intersection of ability and experience before the inevitable (and hopefully slow) decline. I'm shredding my 27.5 way harder than I ever rode my 29. I even rented the 29 version of my bike when I was in Washington and just did not enjoy it nearly as much, and even had some numbness in my fingers for a couple weeks afterward.

I just hope they keep making awesome bikes no matter the wheel size, because if I didn't have mountain biking I'd have probably gone crazy sitting at home the last 7 months.

Hand numbness sounds like bad setup. Not sure why that would be related to wheel size.

29ers are good. But if you prefer 27.5 that’s cool too. I personally have no desire to move away from 29 for the time being.

Fall is finally starting to show up here in CO.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Levitate posted:

This was exactly my problem with a 29er. I ride the largest frame whatever manufacturer offers, and by the time you add 29" wheels to that manouvering it around some of the twisty trails here is an absolute chore. I get the appeal if everything you ride is open and flowing, but to me they feel like riding an oil tanker when you get into tight stuff.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Winter park was nice, my smashed finger not so much. It would have been best to stop when i noticed I was tired instead of thinking I had time to get in a couple more rides.

My wife and I both rode 27.5 and a friend rides a 29. He is decidedly faster than me but that boils down to skills. We are both new and still learning to corner and bunny hop. I hope to graduate to the black trails before I’m to old to ride, but for now the milder blues and greens are fun.

The best part about growing old is not having to worry about kids, and having the ability to say hey that was fun I must need a new bike..

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 26, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jammyozzy posted:

This was exactly my problem with a 29er. I ride the largest frame whatever manufacturer offers, and by the time you add 29" wheels to that manouvering it around some of the twisty trails here is an absolute chore. I get the appeal if everything you ride is open and flowing, but to me they feel like riding an oil tanker when you get into tight stuff.

How for the same model of tire/rim, how much heavier does a 29" wheel end up being? From what I've noticed, HTA and front center do more to slow down steering than the extra weight being moved (from the axles about the center of mass and separately, the mass of the front wheel about the steering axis).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was the first time in 13 years riding that I crashed so hard that I was unable to continue. We were shuttling the Windsor trail in Santa Fe. Not really sure what happened but OTB into some rocks was the TLDR. I tried my best to find the line between deep rear end bruise and broken femur I think. Arm and back are all scrapped up as well. I can weight my leg trying to actually walk and move it around is brutal. Really lucky that I was able to push the bike a 1/4 mile to the road and call for a pick up. I am out for a while I think but could have been worse.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ouch. Wish you a speedy recovery.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Today was the first time in 13 years riding that I crashed so hard that I was unable to continue. We were shuttling the Windsor trail in Santa Fe. Not really sure what happened but OTB into some rocks was the TLDR. I tried my best to find the line between deep rear end bruise and broken femur I think. Arm and back are all scrapped up as well. I can weight my leg trying to actually walk and move it around is brutal. Really lucky that I was able to push the bike a 1/4 mile to the road and call for a pick up. I am out for a while I think but could have been worse.

Glad you're alright.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Thanks dudes. Ice and Advil are key at the moment.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

vikingstrike posted:

Hand numbness sounds like bad setup. Not sure why that would be related to wheel size.

Not sure, but I locked out my fork and shock for a paved 50-mile ride and it destroyed me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Rough day. See you for the ride on Sat!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nocheez posted:

Not sure, but I locked out my fork and shock for a paved 50-mile ride and it destroyed me.

This seems less than ideal all around

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I will quit whining about my finger now..

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Rough day. See you for the ride on Sat!

I mean...Not ruling it out. Do you have what the shoot hockey player's up with? I am sort of walking around and I have high hopes of at least trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
My wife and I were going to ride up in Fraser/Winter Park today, but the Williams Fork fire and a 30-minute delay on 70 this morning had us detour down to Buffalo Creek. We did Buffalo Burn and out to Chair Rocks on CT Segment 2. It was her first time surfing the kitty litter, and she did great. For as crowded as BC can get, Segment 2 was quiet. Always some great scenery in the South Platte watershed.