Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also that penguin should gently caress off asking me to race every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hugely controversial tier-list. You love to see it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I feel like tick tock clock has a reputation for being hard because each consecutive star is just "oh was that hard? climb higher, binch!" :D my hands were sweating for the 100 coin star but ingot it on the 2nd try

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
rainbow ride is prolly my least favorite because youre riding for most of it. idk what my favorite would be though. tough one. tick tock clock has excellent platforming but thats basically all it is. wet dry world has really good atmosphere. tall tall mountain feels the biggest. not sure.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

lethal lava land is absolutely the best, you get to surf on lava

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's been a while since I've actually gotten all the stars in every level so I don't feel comfortable giving an actual tier list, but I will say that I think the 3 Bowser levels are each better than any of the singular levels just from a design standpoint. Also the amazing music doesn't hurt either.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

American McGay posted:

I will say that I think the 3 Bowser levels are each better than any of the singular levels just from a design standpoint.

disagree. mario 64 is about exploration

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't like wet dry world, but I have trouble rating the rest because I love a lot of them just for nostalgia.

I don't know what I don't like about wet dry world. it feels a little easy for how late in the game it is, maybe. its whole gimmick of "set the water for the stage" feels like it was mostly wasted, and making "the town" its own separate stage, basically, feels.weird. I also don't love that the most instinctive way to do most of the climbing is to get thrown.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t like cool cool mountain that much bbut cause of all the parts where you can slide that aren’t the slidey slides

Look, this is a respectful thread and we are all being kind to each other, but someone has to say it: you should not be struggling this much with cool cool mountain

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I dont like shifting sand land, I fall in the sand and die too much

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Arrhythmia posted:

Very cool, thank you skylark. Are you gonna do writeups for Sunshine as well?

Thanks! Im sure I will blog my Mario Sunshine adventure, but not in the same way.. Mario 64 was just like the first huge game of my 90s Childhood so i have an insane amount of thoughts about every part of it. I feel like in Sunshine the levels are all part of the same cohesive world, and also harder lol. Im sure I will have a ton to say about the haunted hotel level though, cant wait..👀

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Skylark posted:

...And now, the conclusion.

Congratulations, Skylark.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mycophobia posted:

rainbow ride is prolly my least favorite because youre riding for most of it. idk what my favorite would be though. tough one. tick tock clock has excellent platforming but thats basically all it is. wet dry world has really good atmosphere. tall tall mountain feels the biggest. not sure.

yea the setpieces are fun but it's way too frustrating when you miss a jump and then have to go through the whole autoscrolling section again

Nostradingus posted:

lethal lava land is absolutely the best, you get to surf on lava

this

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

Cubone posted:

I dont like shifting sand land, I fall in the sand and die too much

go straight to the wing cap

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

119. Only Bowser remains. 100 coins on Rainbow Ride took every ounce of my patience so I'll tackle the big guy tomorrow and then start on Sunshine

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
aw man sunshine is so loving epic. idk i might go to sunshine after i finish galaxy 2 instead of odyssey....... like odyssey is better but. id ont know. we'll have to see.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

At 102 stars, just got the coin star in tick tock clock and all of rainbow ride. Some of these stars I remember being harder, and some I remember being much easier. I'm finding one of the most satisfying parts of replaying mario 64 is pulling off a risky or complicated jump to skip an annoying bit or grab a star before you should be able to.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I cannot get the delfino plaza theme out of my head

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
The Mario community agrees w me re: Tiny-Huge Island!!!
https://clips.twitch.tv/QuaintFriendlyBeefCharlieBitMe

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao the weird cubes they accidentally left in the Mario Sunshine secret levels are somehow distracting. I forgot how hard this game is, the levels where they take the backpack away own

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mycophobia posted:

aw man sunshine is so loving epic. idk i might go to sunshine after i finish galaxy 2 instead of odyssey....... like odyssey is better but. id ont know. we'll have to see.

sunshine ftw

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
lent my buddy the game cart for a couple of days to help him with a breakup. enjoying a nice odyssey break. god it’s so pretty

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I cannot get the delfino plaza theme out of my head

just reading this has gotten it stuck in mine now lol

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Very glad to see confirmation from all over the net that Tiny Huge Island is the worst level in the game by far, at last there is consensus. I always knew it in my heart.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Tiny Huge is cool. Mario intentionally floods a dude's house and then beats the poo poo out of him when he complains about it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Does Mario get huge, or does the island get tiny?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I remember Wigglers 8 red coins being like in the top 20 hard stars and it wasn't this time, but it's a really good star. It makes you demonstrate you know how to do all the jumps. I had more trouble with the 100 coins than I remember, though.

I can't remember..... do you need to unlock yoshi in Sunshine? I have 28 blue coins in the first level and I feel like I need yoshi for the last 2, but he's not there? there's fruit but I can't find the egg.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Doing whomps fortress and it rules hard, game is really clicking with me now

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Doing whomps fortress and it rules hard, game is really clicking with me now

whomps felt like where I could tell what my hands just remembered how to do and where I'd gotten old. I tore through it without thinking except for the owl, I had to make him drop me like 4 times before I got the star, and I could have done that in my sleep 15 years ago.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Just finished up my 120 SM64 run. The 100 coin star on Rainbow Ride was super easy for me but the final star I overshot the island like 3 times and fell off the carpet getting to the cannon a handful more. Favorite level is Wet-Dry world, liked it ever since I was a kid and even underused the water level gimmick is super cool and was mindblowing at the time. Least favorite is Dire Dire Docks, Tiny Huge is annoying to play through, but it's not straight up boring like DDD is.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hmm. coming up on the end of smg2, the comet for Grandmaster Galaxy isn't showing up....do i just need to grab stars i've already gotten at random until it decides to appear?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mycophobia posted:

hmm. coming up on the end of smg2, the comet for Grandmaster Galaxy isn't showing up....do i just need to grab stars i've already gotten at random until it decides to appear?

you need to do an extra condition after grabbing the comet medal for it to appear you need to have 9999 star bits in the bank and also not pull an in training and delete your save

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat how the eff was i supposed to know that

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the 242nd star is a real motherfucker

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The new controls in Sunshine are taking some time to adapt to...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
seriously about to flip out. getting fed up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
phew that was a tough one. kept dying like an r-word on the flip panel part but clutched it out. now gonna start a fresh odyssey save cant wait!!!!!!

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Pretty sure the camera controls in mario 3d allstars are the same as dark souls so im chilin....

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

lmao the weird cubes they accidentally left in the Mario Sunshine secret levels are somehow distracting. I forgot how hard this game is, the levels where they take the backpack away own

Those levels seemed to get easier the further into the game I got but maybe I just got better. And at least they have a clear goal unlike so many Sunshine levels where you just don't know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have to say, I like the idea of Tiny Huge island much more than the execution. Side note: its SMB3 counterpoint was a mega mind blower for tiny milk. And I agree Shifting Sand Land is one of my favorite levels, or at least it stands out in my memory. The cube maze, having your hat stolen, perilously koopa shelling your way up the pyramid, and finally the tight platforming found inside. Wonderful.