Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Eh, the thing is, it isn't a government's top secret facility, it's a corporation's. Even the need for security can never seem to matter more to gigantic corporations than increasing profitability. They probably use staffing sub contractors, and pay most positions as little as possible, thus they most likely have a decent turnover rate.

They would be relying on the fact that everyone would have signed lots of NDAs and they have your address, work history and list of people you trusted to name as references. If you leak, Lamplighter will come see you and express Vought's displeasure. Plus they probably lie to most of the staff and say these are just dangerous supes they find and contain, instead of create.

The van in a field though, I'll agree was odd. Seems like the parking lot would be way less conspicuous. Even better, they should have stolen a food truck and had Hewie serving waffle fry nachos as cover.

Then again, maybe I'm the idiot for looking for realism where people shrug off .50 caliber rounds to the chest and shoot laser beams out of their eyes. I just thought it was funny, because they make a big deal about their grand plan, but it amounts to them bum rushing the hospital while hoping no one sees them break in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PostNouveau posted:

I got that off the wiki because I only vaguely remembered what the deal was the comics. Could absolutely be a mistake on the wiki.

If I remember right, in the comics he was in the French Foreign Legion and had some crazy poo poo happen that caused some serious mental problems, and so he just decided he was French. Historically the Legion took anyone, even if that's changed recently so he could be from anywhere. The lovely French was because Ennis hates the French, so he had him speak in lovely, lovely Franglais I think they called it.

Most of this info was kind of hinted at in the comics, with some one off panels showing Frenchie in the past and the way people talked about his past.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a secure hospital trying not to look like anything more exciting than a secure hospital. The fence and security is for keeping people in, not keeping people out.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

They probably use staffing sub contractors, and pay most positions as little as possible, thus they most likely have a decent turnover rate.

I figured the "turnover" rate would be the mortality rate IRL. "Well, Cindy just greased a few more orderlies. Don't forget to clean the hall before the temp agency delivers some more."

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's a secure hospital trying not to look like anything more exciting than a secure hospital. The fence and security is for keeping people in, not keeping people out.

It wouldn't have been much of an episode if Kimiko just punched a hole through the wall like the Kool aid man.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
SAIL AWAY SAIL AWAY SAIL AWAY

Does the church have a pure moods CD?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

seaborgium posted:

If I remember right, in the comics he was in the French Foreign Legion and had some crazy poo poo happen that caused some serious mental problems, and so he just decided he was French. Historically the Legion took anyone, even if that's changed recently so he could be from anywhere. The lovely French was because Ennis hates the French, so he had him speak in lovely, lovely Franglais I think they called it.

It's got nothing to do with Ennis hating the French. Let's Parler Franglais! was a famous series of satirical articles written in the 1970s by Miles Kington for Punch magazine, in which he parodied British tourists on the continent and their habit of speaking Foreign using a bastardised grammar and dropping in the English word whenever they didn't know the correct one in the local language. Frenchie speaks the same way, and his "origin story" - along with the Female's, which he tells later - is a work of fiction that he made up because Hughie broke the fourth wall and asked about it. All of which is the evidence for the thing you mention about him having a mental break while serving in the Legion.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One thing is bugging me - before the revelation of compound V, how did Vought explain to the world that every single supe worked for them?

The obvious answer of course, is "It's just a show; I should really just relax".

Season 1 covers this more, but they are said to be born gifted, some claim God did it, but Homelander has like a whole episode of him shooting a show about his manufactured back story as an all-american boy while he has flashbacks to his real young life in a lab

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Settle a bet, observant fellow goons. Starlight definitely killed that guy, right? Lotta blood pooling behind his head, she didn't look relieved when she checked for a pulse, guilt shot of the baby seat.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

VagueRant posted:

Settle a bet, observant fellow goons. Starlight definitely killed that guy, right? Lotta blood pooling behind his head, she didn't look relieved when she checked for a pulse, guilt shot of the baby seat.

Yeah implication that he was dead seemed pretty clear I think

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

VagueRant posted:

He's definitely dead. He landed squarely on the back of his head, and they are miles away from a hospital. At least the kind he needs, anyway.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

He was dead on the spot from the impact to his head.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

VagueRant posted:

He dead.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
This episode they were really spelling out that Starlight gets her power from sucking electricity from around her. Makes me think she's going to be a big part of taking down a supe who makes electricity...

Also car dude is definitely dead, but I kinda got the impression Love Sausage might still be alive?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
hell yes Love Sausage is safe. knockout with blood = dead. knockout without blood = totally fine

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Beef Stew posted:

Was that it? I remember reading somewhere that his French is so bad in the comics because he's probably not actually French. His backstory is full of crazy poo poo that doesn't make any sense, thinking he's French could just be another delusion.

His backstory is that his father died in a baguette bicycle joust against his rival, Black Pierre. Its indeed implied to be so nonsense he may not actually be french.

On the topic of bad accents I absolutely cannot read Karl Urbans as cockney rather than kiwi.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 26, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What are the chances that Frenchie, Jay and Cherie are in a Ménage a Trois

I'm getting bi vibes from Frenchie, they've dropped a few hints throughout the show

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

massive spider posted:

On the topic of bad accents I absolutely cannot read Karl Urbans as cockney rather than kiwi.

I honestly thought for half the first series that people calling him English were either taking the piss or stupid, I was convinced he was meant to be a Kiwi.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm getting bi vibes from Frenchie, they've dropped a few hints throughout the show

I thought that was very obvious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alchenar posted:

I thought that was very obvious.

I thought it was explicit.

Something interesting about Sage Grove that you may not have noticed: The fence is angled outwards at the top. It's there to keep people out of the "secure psychiatric facility", not to keep them in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The cult playing enya in the background was just hilarious to me. So much little stuff in the episode.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sail away with the fish man.
The way the music directly comments on the scene is always great.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Dude is toast.Impacts to the base of the skull just kill you.You need a lot of luck to be close to a hospital so they can operate and stop the brain bleeding and relieve pressure. He could have make it with mild brain damage but he was discarded like garbage.

It's how my father died, he made it to the hospital but his brain got crushed due to the blood pooling inside the skull.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mameluke posted:

hell yes Love Sausage is safe. knockout with blood = dead. knockout without blood = totally fine

What about BoysDaredevil? There was a lot of blood coming out of his ears.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I just realized I didn't have the thread starred after last season and after watching today's (or like, yesterday's with the early release I guess) episode I popped in and caught up the past like 60 pages. Glad to see both the show and here are still glorious hot messes, like Akron.

The last episode was just fuckin' stellar, just like the whole season. I like, instantly knew going in that the subtext, text, and metatext that's all been saying "If you get the feeling they're a Nazi or a Racist or Something Else(TM) you're probably right" wouldn't be enough to stop people from (willfully) misinterpreting/misrepresenting everything as Well, Actually(TM) as they can, but I'm glad the writing team pretty clearly expected that and is at least giving us overtly textual examples to prove us right.

Homelander continues to be the scariest TV villain I've ever seen outside of a series explicitly framed as horror and Starr deserves an EGOT for it, I will not settle for an Emmy.

edit: Somehow the last couple dozen shows I watched I managed to avoid any plothole :discourse: in places that I talk about TV and hoo boy has that streak been laser'd through the loving eye.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 26, 2020

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Probably the same chances that Starlight killed that guy, or that Stormfront is a Nazi.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jedit posted:

It's got nothing to do with Ennis hating the French. Let's Parler Franglais! was a famous series of satirical articles written in the 1970s by Miles Kington for Punch magazine, in which he parodied British tourists on the continent and their habit of speaking Foreign using a bastardised grammar and dropping in the English word whenever they didn't know the correct one in the local language. Frenchie speaks the same way, and his "origin story" - along with the Female's, which he tells later - is a work of fiction that he made up because Hughie broke the fourth wall and asked about it. All of which is the evidence for the thing you mention about him having a mental break while serving in the Legion.

It's almost certainly both - lots of the comic's subtext (and actual text) is just that gross flavor of post-9/11 "patriotism" and there's no way Ennis wasn't at least partially wrapped up in that "the French are all cowards for not helping us invade" given all the other other asides he makes.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

What kind of hints?

I felt like the show answers this by having him specify that Jay was his best friend. Not lover. Not boyfriend. But best friend.

Does the comic go into any details about this at all?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Bioshuffle posted:

What kind of hints?

I felt like the show answers this by having him specify that Jay was his best friend. Not lover. Not boyfriend. But best friend.

You can have sex/be romantically in love with your best friend, but regardless a Ménage a Trois is a catch-all term for a polyamorous relationship involving three people, it doesn't necessarily mean Frenchie and Jay were also boning down, it would just mean that the three of them were in a relationship of sorts with Cherie. Which isn't far-fetched given how often Frenchie and her hook/hooked up.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Probably my favourite episode so far.

Highlights for me:

- The smash cut from Homelander staring at the flowers to his obliterated trailer.

- Homelander failing to intimidate Stormfront by squeezing her throat.

- "You said you don't break easy. I've been thinking about that a lot." I feel like this is as close as he's come to a 'world of cardboard' speech. He's a guy desperate to let loose with everything he's got, and she's (seemingly) the only thing in the world that might pose an actual challenge.

- Butcher and Starlight bonding over how Hughie is too good for both of them.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

What kind of hints?

1) The opening scene when he's talking about Golden Girls. Frenchie says he started his own family, and Cherie is Blanche, and Jay is his Dorothy and Cherie says "ah cause you're a little gay".

2) The long pause when he says "my uh... my best friend", when telling Lamplighter about it, like he's debating what to call him.

3) After MM gets choked by the trouser snake, and MM is freaked out and says "that's his loving dick" and Frenchie says "don't be so close minded".

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

BurritoJustice posted:

He also asked MM if he minded getting transvestite strippers for this bachelors night.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Keltar posted:

He also asked MM if he minded getting transvestite strippers for this bachelors night.

Transgender but yeah. His joke about MM not being open minded about getting choked by a huge dick was good as well

Also what was the blade on the Dremel that Frenchie used to remove the chip from Starlight made of? The diamond compound identical to Translucent's skin he synthesised in the first episode of the series? It felt a bit strange next to Butcher thanking her for the .50BMG shot to the chest

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2020

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Him turning tricks on the street wasn't a big enough clue for you?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

VegasGoat posted:

1) The opening scene when he's talking about Golden Girls. Frenchie says he started his own family, and Cherie is Blanche, and Jay is his Dorothy and Cherie says "ah cause you're a little gay".

2) The long pause when he says "my uh... my best friend", when telling Lamplighter about it, like he's debating what to call him.

3) After MM gets choked by the trouser snake, and MM is freaked out and says "that's his loving dick" and Frenchie says "don't be so close minded".
Ooo poo poo, good catch. The third one kinda cinches it for me. Definitely gives a darker overtone to his story, though. I like that his sexual preference isn't a huge focal point.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Him turning tricks on the street wasn't a big enough clue for you?

Look man I just want bi dude rep in shows, I worry I over-assume :v:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Transgender but yeah. His joke about MM not being open minded about getting choked by a huge dick was good as well

Also what was the blade on the Dremel that Frenchie used to remove the chip from Starlight made of? The diamond compound identical to Translucent's skin he synthesised in the first episode of the series? It felt a bit strange next to Butcher thanking her for the .50BMG shot to the chest
Diamond coated dremel blades are common. Lead is soft.
I try not to think too much about the realism in my fantasy entertainment though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just watching the episode now

"Brave Maeve Pride Bars"

:allears: this show

E: LOVE SAUSAGE OMG

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 26, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus, bullets do different damage than knives. You can stab through a kevlar vest. Makes sense that a diamond blade can cut through something a bullet just dents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also nobody said Starlight was as strong physically as Translucent. V superpowers seem to be really idiosyncratic: the supes in the clinic seemed to have highly variable toughness levels.