Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
lol and well there it all is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lmao EVGA making GBS threads straight into the mouth of zotac and MSI.

I like how they’re *explicit* about no FTW3 cards having 6 caps. Does that mean all the gaming XC cards have 6?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

tech jesus discussing the post LIVE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Q5di0YzLc

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Kingnothing posted:

Lmao EVGA making GBS threads straight into the mouth of zotac and MSI.

I like how they’re *explicit* about no FTW3 cards having 6 caps. Does that mean all the gaming XC cards have 6?

A little further down they say

quote:

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol this is tremendous content

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

shrike82 posted:

lol this is tremendous content

It truly is lol

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A few cards came into stock on newegg, I tried to check out a few times, now newegg thinks I'm a bot and I can't use it at all.

Nice.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

It truly is lol

The f5ing never stops

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
I managed to nab a FTW card on Newegg, got the confirmation email and the charge to my card...Does this mean I'm free?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

A few cards came into stock on newegg, I tried to check out a few times, now newegg thinks I'm a bot and I can't use it at all.

Nice.

I'm getting that error too when I try to look at my cart lol. It comes and goes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Can't wait to see what the 3070 version of this problem is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

acksplode posted:

I'm getting that error too when I try to look at my cart lol. It comes and goes

I tried to add something different to cart and got a captcha and now it seems to be working fine.

Apparently I wasn't logged into newegg (even though I was?) though and in the time it took me to log in, welp. (first time around)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ezane posted:

I managed to nab a FTW card on Newegg, got the confirmation email and the charge to my card...Does this mean I'm free?

Enjoy your boxless card.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I got temporarily IP locked out of Newegg trying to get to the loving checkout page and then the site crashed. Great process overall, A++

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Samadhi posted:

I got temporarily IP locked out of Newegg trying to get to the loving checkout page and then the site crashed. Great process overall, A++

Can I offer you a (new)egg in these trying times?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Kingnothing posted:

Can I offer you a (new)egg in these trying times?

Do you have any can wine

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Newegg went from good to shitass trash with depressing speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well lol i guess i have to eat my hat with the capacitors being perfectly fine. (though to be clear it sounds like it still only happens when the cards overclock)

nevertheless my evga loyalty is reaffirmed once again

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sagebrush posted:

well lol i guess i have to eat my hat with the capacitors being perfectly fine. (though to be clear it sounds like it still only happens when the cards overclock)

nevertheless my evga loyalty is reaffirmed once again

Same, although there really is nothing wrong with the caps it just must be with how Nvidia used them in the reference design.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

Newegg went from good to shitass trash with depressing speed.

where you been, newegg has been terrible for years. Just look at their open box policy. No refunds no matter how lovely it arrives. What no you cant have any pictures before it ships

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

card numbers too apparently, but supposedly partially obscured. Yay for having my personal info leaked....

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Trip report: I ordered a 3080 for in store pickup next Friday at Best Buy. I just got an email saying the order is delayed and it will be canceled if it doesn’t arrive by Friday.

I just spoke to a chat agent who assured me the card will arrive by Friday. He said he checked his internal resources showing the card on route to the store. It’s frustrating, but at least I got an assured answer it would arrive on time instead of something noncommittal.

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

So I finally had a chance to stress my 3080 Ventus a little bit and... yeah, it can't even get through a single pass of time spy without bluescreening. Seems to be the same problem everyone else is talking about because it works fine with a 95% power limit, keeps it below 1900mhz boost

Not the best week, my new memory couldn't even get through one pass of memtest5 with XMP disabled :suicide:

I'll take some of that can wine if its going

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Well, if you are good with a soldering iron you could fix it yourself by replacing some caps!

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Why must people jump to defend companies even when it's pretty clear there's a trend in failures that points specifically at the cap choice... JZ is an idiot but he wasn't the source of the original info.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Subjunctive posted:

hmm, what are we going to send our pickiest customers, whose opinions will be broadcast loudly throughout the market? I know, the leftovers that didn’t pass validation!

Yes but now I get to talk about how well they handled the situation and also how communicative they are re: inventory

What a bunch of nice people imho

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey I have an important update if you have an LG 2019 OLED (9 series such as C9/B9/G9) and are having issues with HDMI 2.1 GSync on Ampere cards:

You must CALL LG for special firmware. This is because the fix, for now, is specific to these TVs and will gently caress up other sets. Since the people who PC game on OLED with Ampere remain small, they are rolling out this update via customer service only to make sure no one without a 9 series mistakenly installs this interim firmware.

As far as I understand, this closes the loop on HDMI 2.1 features with Ampere. You can use everything at full spec.

The fix for 2020 X series OLED is coming soon. Do NOT install this firmware for it. I'm sure it will leak around the net, you will gently caress up your set.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 26, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Can’t wait to see the venture RMA pile.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Well, if you are good with a soldering iron you could fix it yourself by replacing some caps!

yeah countdown to this being the new thing: tantalum POSCAPs ARE CRAP!!!! remove them from all your boards and replace with individual ceramic SMD components for a FREE PERFORMANCE BOOST!!! no-brainer mod everyone should do right away!!!!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they called them poscaps because they're piece of poo poo capacitors :dadjoke:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

yeah countdown to this being the new thing: tantalum POSCAPs ARE CRAP!!!! remove them from all your boards and replace with individual ceramic SMD components for a FREE PERFORMANCE BOOST!!! no-brainer mod everyone should do right away!!!!

Lmao wait until the audiophiles get onto this. I only accept the finest Japanese electrolytic capacitors!

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Fauxtool posted:

where you been, newegg has been terrible for years. Just look at their open box policy. No refunds no matter how lovely it arrives. What no you cant have any pictures before it ships

Reason to buy online with credit cards and not debit cards. Most reputable credit cards have buyer protections against those shenanigans.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Yolshi posted:

So I finally had a chance to stress my 3080 Ventus a little bit and... yeah, it can't even get through a single pass of time spy without bluescreening. Seems to be the same problem everyone else is talking about because it works fine with a 95% power limit, keeps it below 1900mhz boost

Not the best week, my new memory couldn't even get through one pass of memtest5 with XMP disabled :suicide:

I'll take some of that can wine if its going

Sorry to hear that. Lol Nvidia what a shitshow.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mA posted:

Sorry to hear that. Lol Nvidia what a shitshow.

isnt that totally on MSI not nvidia?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

isnt that totally on MSI not nvidia?

Both?

Nvidia said they were allowed to do it that way in their reference guide. EVGA just opted to test their poo poo and fix it when it didn’t work, and MSI didn’t.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah so many companies making the same mistake or almost making it and catching it at the last minute suggests that NVs reference design documentation wasn't specific enough about how the caps should be populated

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Zotac did the free option by underclocking in the factory. :lol:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/izmi1k/ampere_poscapmlcc_counts/

gigabyte, zotac and colorful are known to have bad designs so far

near misses from evga (bad layout in review samples but fixed before retail) and asus (bad layout visible in official photos but fixed in production units)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If you're looking for a super in depth and educated opinion on the capgate situation, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFKS8jNNh0