Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

Even after beating them a few times the 3rd boss is scary as hell. I've only recently gotten to the point where I can reliably kill them without having to use a death's defiance charge.
I've beaten the game a bunch and I pretty much just budget for blowing a death defiance on that boss. Biggest roadblock in the game imo but they're fun.

I've been playing Streets of Rogue which is good fun, not the level of tight quality/craftsmanship of Hades/StS but more of a fun, expansive mess of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

If you need another friend to play your indie treasure roguelike, may I suggest an Imp Zone poster? Not only are they insanely good at gaming, they are also courteous, kind, and helpful with explaining the different systems in an indie roguelike treasure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Can't get a 4th? Lol, loving loser.

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i got a duo ability with demeter and artemis that turned my cast into insanely fast honing lasers. well the demeter ability did that alreay. BUT the duo ability made it WAY better. but i still lost on the last boss again fuuuu.

also hades and spelunky etc are NOT roguelikes. :middlefinger: FOR a real rougleike experience check out rogue legacy. it has rouge in the title and its called "legacy" because it carries on the legacy of the original rougelike games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rougelike

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Managed to beat the 3rd boss after like 30 attempts. Made it to the 2nd form of the final boss twice since then. Good poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’ve done about 30 runs and there’s still a god of the underworld I haven’t met yet? I’m missing a trinket from them too so that’s two prophecies I’m 1 entry away from but idk what to do besides keep attempting more runs.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I hear there’s one who doesn’t show up until you escape once.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’ve done about 30 runs and there’s still a god of the underworld I haven’t met yet? I’m missing a trinket from them too so that’s two prophecies I’m 1 entry away from but idk what to do besides keep attempting more runs.

theres one that i just got that shows up randomly on runs after a while and challenges you to a contest. he's your last guy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

decided to take a one-run break from work nd in true fashion that ended up being my best run ever. beat the level 3 bosses, got halfway through the level 4 boss. i can do this

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The ice skills are so fuckin good

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I’ve beaten it 4x now, three with shield and once with spear. I find damage is more important to focus on early because you can always pick up 75-100 health on the last 2 levels. Doom is op, combined with the other Ares skill to make doom do 60-100+% more after a few seconds it’s insane. Also look for the special skill chain upgrades, combined with doom the run becomes easy.

Other good skills are the ice ones and the blood rift ones (both cast and dash), hangover is decent but not great unless you can pair it with the skill that that hungover enemies take more damage

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

a Loving Dog posted:

I’ve beaten it 4x now, three with shield and once with spear. I find damage is more important to focus on early because you can always pick up 75-100 health on the last 2 levels. Doom is op, combined with the other Ares skill to make doom do 60-100+% more after a few seconds it’s insane. Also look for the special skill chain upgrades, combined with doom the run becomes easy.

Other good skills are the ice ones and the blood rift ones (both cast and dash), hangover is decent but not great unless you can pair it with the skill that that hungover enemies take more damage

heard a rumor you're cheating tho

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The ice skills are so fuckin good

the one that makes enemies explode into ice shards at 10% life ftw

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

a Loving Dog posted:

only been playing for like 2 hours but yeah already figured this out. had a run with the shield on the special attack with tons of doom stacks so could just whip it out and dash away and killed enemies. i died on the hydra boss though cause it was my first time getting to it and got gibbed not realizing the adds it spawns shield the boss till theyre dead

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The best hangover boon is the God Gauge one imo. The tick damage is super high and it applies in an aoe so it's even good in regular fights. It might straight up be the best God Gauge power, a lot of them are kinda weak.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hades has really set a new standard for me in terms of presentation for a semi-grindy "do runs over and over to progress further" game. Like every single aspect of the game rewards you in super cool ways and it all manages to work into a story that actually makes sense, it's pretty nuts.

Athena's invulnerability god gauge turned out to be surprisingly OP imo when I realized that upgrades actually boost it up to like 3 seconds of invincibility per charge. You can straight up button mash your way to victory with it.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I’m bad at Hades (switch). I can barely get past the fury.

Still, a fun and flavorful game.

What’s everyone’s favorite weapon? I’ve been trying to make the shield work by constantly using the special bounce attack.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I’m bad at Hades (switch). I can barely get past the fury.

Still, a fun and flavorful game.

What’s everyone’s favorite weapon? I’ve been trying to make the shield work by constantly using the special bounce attack.

The shield is probably the best weapon but my fav is the gun. Also my advice for fury is to focus on damage upgrades over health/gold/gems until the higher acts

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fists for life

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Ah yeah fists are fun as hell too, I haven’t played with them nearly as much as the others though

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I like the fists but I take a ton of damage with them so I never can actually get past Elysium

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The amount of secrets in Spelunky 2 is mind blowing. It also seems quite a bit more difficult than the first.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I like the fists but I take a ton of damage with them so I never can actually get past Elysium

i just had a fists run with Athena dash deflect, Hermes dash 4x, Demeter ice regular attack +100%, and bonus backstab damage and i killed hades with 3 defiance left in under 20 minutes lol. i barely took any damage and just spammed dash attack the whole time

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

crosspost

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

i didnt realize how powerful the daedalus hammer is. it changes a whole run

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ALways go for the hammer if you can. Ill have 1 hp and no defiance and still choose a hammer over a heart. Almost every hammer upgrade is cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

ALways go for the hammer if you can. Ill have 1 hp and no defiance and still choose a hammer over a heart. Almost every hammer upgrade is cool.

This. Sometimes they completely change how your weapon works and it’s fun to experiment.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

American McGay posted:

The amount of secrets in Spelunky 2 is mind blowing. It also seems quite a bit more difficult than the first.

Yeah you definitely can't sleepwalk through the first world anymore. Unlocked the second shortcut today and there are a TON of seemingly "secret" related things in following zone that I don't understand at all, lol

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
i dread the appearance of the Butterfly Orb

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The butterfly orb miniboss is probably my least favorite miniboss in the entire game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

goferchan posted:

Yeah you definitely can't sleepwalk through the first world anymore. Unlocked the second shortcut today and there are a TON of seemingly "secret" related things in following zone that I don't understand at all, lol
I've been paying extra attention to the lore and the flavor text on all the different journal entries. I'm not sure if it's part of the puzzles or if it's just a larger world building thing but there seem to be at least a few connections. Certain NPCs and their affiliations and stuff.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The butterfly orb miniboss is probably my least favorite miniboss in the entire game.

same, it's awful

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really enjoyed seeing the game evolve through EA when it was so good from the start, and the fact that the stupid orb made it to the final version without any discernable improvement is baffling to me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got my first clear just now using the bow aspect that shoots homing arrows at the last target you attacked... also Poseidon’s call plus the boon that fills your god meter automatically. I got to use the call like 4 times in the Hades fight lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
havent cleared the third hades boss yet, but getting closer

what keepsake are ppl equipping for runs? i’ve been mostly running with dusa’s one for the extra survivability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

havent cleared the third hades boss yet, but getting closer

what keepsake are ppl equipping for runs? i’ve been mostly running with dusa’s one for the extra survivability

i really like hermes keepsake, the lucky tooth, the butterfly, and on the bow or gun orpheus' keepsake is easy money. i've also really been liking switching to my main boon god's keepsake just for asphodel for a guaranteed good boon