Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Code Veronica is an offbeat but average or better Resident Evil that released to critical acclaim and sales were good. It had some of the goofiest moments in the series but fans were ecstatic that we finally answered the Chris question, Claire was back and Wesker was back and super cool, so it wasn't all Steves and Alfreds. You have to remember CV was a direct follow up to the success of RE2 when the series entered the spotlight. It has some great ambiance and setting pieces, the Suspended Doll and Nosferatu still coming to mind instantly for me. It has been memed into "absolutely unplayable terrible trash" by the fanbase by comparing it to games that came after, or replaying it and realizing that it is clunky at times and therefore is totally unacceptable because gamers. It is true that CV is not in the same tier as RE4. CV and RE4 are five years apart. Seeing as we got to play CV long before the most dramatic overhaul in the series I'd say CV was perfectly cromulent for the time and just fine for a one and done today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dunno if its fair to say that remake killed fixed camera, re0 had been in dev since the fuckin n64 days and re4 had been prototyped for years, including being spun off into devil may cry. more like it capcom was already moving on. maybe someone will come in with dev quotes saying im off base tho

site fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 26, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Silent Hill games are pretty great and did a wonderful job of freaking me right the gently caress out. Probably more so than the RE series if we're just talking about simply being scared and feeling weird about poo poo. I love scary games and have to give it to the SH series more than RE for just making me feel uneasy.

I love both series but SH is way more unsettling and spooky.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Doomykins posted:

Code Veronica is an offbeat but average or better Resident Evil that released to critical acclaim and sales were good. It had some of the goofiest moments in the series but fans were ecstatic that we finally answered the Chris question, Claire was back and Wesker was back and super cool, so it wasn't all Steves and Alfreds. You have to remember CV was a direct follow up to the success of RE2 when the series entered the spotlight. It has some great ambiance and setting pieces, the Suspended Doll and Nosferatu still coming to mind instantly for me. It has been memed into "absolutely unplayable terrible trash" by the fanbase by comparing it to games that came after, or replaying it and realizing that it is clunky at times and therefore is totally unacceptable because gamers. It is true that CV is not in the same tier as RE4. CV and RE4 are five years apart. Seeing as we got to play CV long before the most dramatic overhaul in the series I'd say CV was perfectly cromulent for the time and just fine for a one and done today.

I haven't touched it in 20 years, and 3 and CV came out during a time when I wasnt really playing video games (blind buying RE4 for my brother's GameCube because I had nostalgia for RE2 re-nerded me), but my genuine memory of CV was that it was fine, but the series had been in free-fall since RE2. I was more facetious than I should have been. I dont have any desire to play it now, but I will watch a playthrough because I'm one of those idiots who tries to make sense of this series' very silly storyline.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What even is the selling-point of Code Veronica?

At the time it came out, "it is a Resident Evil game" was self-evidently enough, which is fortunate, because it's all Capcom seemed to be capable of making for a while.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
To be fair, for a lot of people, "it's a new Resident Evil game" is still selling point enough for a lot of people. :v: Not like you can blame, I love this series.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

0 rows returned posted:

id be careful with b) because the last time they remade the one "that sucks" we got the 3 remake
Yeah, Capcom should definitely change the apparent remake philosophy from "Roughly the same quality but modern" to "The best game we can make with the premise". The former was fine for RE2, but the series isn't chock-full of games of that caliber.

site posted:

all that sounds fun on paper but it would just break down into nobody wanting to play as jill because who the gently caress wants to spend all that time doing item hunting and puzzle solving when you can just play as chris and do none of it
I said that it'd not be something he'd do for every puzzle. Besides, if you set up the game as I suggested then the two wouldn't share puzzles anyway, it'd be two campaigns that together told the complete story and unlocked the whole mansion. Plus a Chris-only experience means a paucity of Barry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I really think the problem is less the quality of the original game and more the quality of the team that was making the remake. If they had been switched around, I'm willing to bet that the Resident Evil 2 remake wouldn't have been any better. The design approach for RE3make just wasn't good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

I really think the problem is less the quality of the original game and more the quality of the team that was making the remake. If they had been switched around, I'm willing to bet that the Resident Evil 2 remake wouldn't have been any better. The design approach for RE3make just wasn't good.
The fact that the better team was put on the task of remaking the better game was probably intentional though. The game being released as it was, rather than Capcom deciding to hold it back to bring it more in line qualitywise with the remake of 2 definitely was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's probably fair. If you're going to bet on the success of something, you might as well go with the title that is better-regarded and more beloved anyway. It certainly tells us something that they bundled RE3make with a multiplayer title right from the start.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if they remake code veronica they will have to do something about that alexia storyline and it will infuriate The Gamers

im also not convinced that at least 80% or more of the code veronica remake pleading is almost entirely because people have brain worms about a resident evil 4 remake. although to be fair capcom did say they were going to revoke the license of the original RE4 and send out bounty hunters to destroy the original copies of it if they ever remade it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most hilarious part of RE3 is this Tom & Jerry bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GdGTCXXDCs&t=357s

I never played OG RE3 and I don't really give a poo poo about fixed-camera angles. I only beat REmake from the classic era and I see no need for the series to ever go back to that formula. I've never tried 0 because it sounds dumb and irritating even for this series.

RE3 is good but best treated as a companion-piece to RE2 and not a full-on sequel. I got this for 25 bucks and beat it in what was listed as 6 hours but is technically 11 hours. It's reputation will improve as the sale price gets lower. I'm a filthy casual so I read ahead to learn the rules like: Hunter Gammas + Flame Round = Pale Head + Magnum Bullet = Dead.

As to what could be improved for a future action-horror campaign. Maybe have the return of two separate characters with different arsenals andoverlapping level-progression. After spending the middle act as Carlos I forgot Jill was in the game. More puzzles, less QTEs, keep the sewer levels as short as possible like this one, and have a greater degree of continuity between zones. The bosses in 3 are technically better than 2 but I wish the whole concept was rethought. Maybe less battles of attrition and more flexible puzzle-bosses with numerous ways to defeat them, like Metal Gear or Mr Freeze from Arkham City. You could get more experimental with the records by having fewer grind achievements and more skill achievements, like killing a Tyrant with green herb somehow.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 26, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

Resident Evil's camera angles finally explained.

you can even shoot them in re2 and they show bullet holes. 100% bet that was the original idea in the mansion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rabidsquid posted:

if they remake code veronica they will have to do something about that alexia storyline and it will infuriate The Gamers

im also not convinced that at least 80% or more of the code veronica remake pleading is almost entirely because people have brain worms about a resident evil 4 remake. although to be fair capcom did say they were going to revoke the license of the original RE4 and send out bounty hunters to destroy the original copies of it if they ever remade it

*gathers GC, Wii, PS2, Switch, and PS4 together in the living room for safety and plugs in the Zapper* Gamers rise up

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Original RE3 is worse then CV, change my mind.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

Original RE3 is worse then CV, change my mind.

You probably should change your mind, the old one clearly isn't working.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Code Veronica's fine as a game. It suffers from taking the old formula too far and some really obnoxious backtracking, but the biggest problem it has is that it sits in a middle ground where it is both too cheesy and not cheesy enough in storyline and voice acting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's nothing mechanically wrong with it, but CVX is very boring and has terrible characters. Considering it's also like three times as long as Nemesis, that's not a great bottom line.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 26, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tangentially related to RE but the dude who's been leaking RE8/Silent Hill reboot/Capcom stuff quit because of reasons. So that's the end of that gravy train.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Man I hate how OG RE3 is just disregarded as an expansion when it's one of the best entries in a series of many great games. It carried that official sequel label cause it deserved it.

I dug it more than RE2 on release, and it still ended up being better when I replayed the OG games recently.

The stuff people trash are more lazy from a conceptual/design POV but when it comes to execution they were boons.

Like, being able to push out the sequel that quickly isn't itself a condemnation when the quality is supreme. It's a theoretical negative for snobbery. Same as rehashing the RE2 assets and sets. Getting that overlapping exploration of the last game's areas was part of what makes it so badass. Reasons be damned. It worked.

It's creatively bold, and endlessly memorable with the same sort of risk taking and alterations that all the best entries share. Nemesis was eons above Mr X and worthy a different label. The city sets and locales. Environment stuns and unique boss blasts. Fight/flight with rewards. All the other choice timing. Dodge system. Ammo crafting and towards own weapon prefs. Carlos midgame. The segments non-linear. Dead factory instead of another lab. The ultimate "it all goes boom behind you". Epilogues. Mercenaries. Barry!!! It all loving owns!

I still desperately crave a legit REmake style remake for RE3 (re2 as well) that does just upgrade the existing masterpiece into a new "definitive version" instead of reinterpretting it as some other inspired by poo poo no one asked for.

If anyone disagrees, I'll....
[Shank them in the showers ]
[Lace their food with finely ground glass]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I liked RE3. It's the first Resident Evil game I ever played. :shobon:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The Resident Evil games are on sale on Steam again this weekend. Trying to decide if I want to pick up RE3Make this time. Didn't think it would be on sale again so soon.

The tread posted:

Resident Evil 3 & Code Veronica

RE3 is the one I've wanted to play for the longest time for whatever reason. It sounds like it's not as expansive as the previous two games. Based on what I've heard, it sounds like you only really play through it once, and you've experienced everything. However, at this point, that doesn't really sound that bad. I like how RE2 is a lot bigger than it first appears, but at the same time, it seems like you have to retread a lot of ground, since you effectively have to play each character twice to get the whole package (not counting the unlockable campaigns with HUNK and Tofu, provided you can unlock those). RE3 sounds a little more straightforward, but what I'm worried is that I might start getting burned out by the time I reach it.

As for Code Veronica, I remember reading the LP for it in the archive not too long ago, but I don't really remember a whole lot from it. You mess around on the island, there's some puzzles, you take a plane to the arctic, Eh, Steve! gets attacked by his zombie dad, then turned into a mutant, and...that's about it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 26, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Re3 honestly isn’t a very good or well designed game but every game has some fans

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It wasn't the best game in the series, no. It did have some cool ideas, though, some of which the series ended up sticking with. I think it's the first game that had ammo crafting, which RE7 really doubled down on. The CYOA moments were neat, but sadly never used again. They also didn't re-use the "skill factor" to ammo crafting, where repeatedly crafting small amounts of ammo would get you less overall, but eventually let you make superior types. That was a neat tactical decision.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
RE3 was very well designed and let Capcom test loads of ideas, especially the basics of combat they'd use later in the series. You wouldn't have RE4 feeling as good as it does without Jill as the prototype run. RE3 was more RE2 shortly after everybody loved RE2 and Nemesis was really good by the standards of at-the-time Resident Evil bosses. The multiple encounters angle, the option to run or fight and an enemy that persisted through load screens were all very novel, especially as Clock Tower was missed in the west for the most part. The multiple choices was a clever way to inject an extra replay into the game without the usual two characters approach, even if a lot of the choices were shallow if you look up how they work.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? It's on sale through Humble Bundle for ten bucks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? It's on sale through Humble Bundle for ten bucks.
Tendency towards "no." I thought it was worse than Downpour, but not as bad as Origins.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Jawmuncher/status/1309935117863919616?s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tentatively on board but Leon will have to do a fair number of sweet hair flips to get me on board with that 'do.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I still desperately crave a legit REmake style remake for RE3 (re2 as well) that does just upgrade the existing masterpiece into a new "definitive version" instead of reinterpretting it as some other inspired by poo poo no one asked for.

:hmmyes:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looking forward to the new cg movie

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut posted:

Tangentially related to RE but the dude who's been leaking RE8/Silent Hill reboot/Capcom stuff quit because of reasons. So that's the end of that gravy train.

sucks but also kinda glad. was getting way too leaky and then you have the stuff like having old out of date info about re3r and its openness and not being told about how they changed and went back on it results in misplaced hype and disappointment. still getting all the info about early versions of all games up to this point has been cool. hes still adamant about SH on ps5 tho. :pray: his reasoning tho about feeling guilty he was potentienally getting capcom staff fired is sound but i bet its more to do with how he keeps getting poo poo on now after he was talking about ps5 hardware stuff he wasnt 100% sure (4k issues and re8 not working well on ps5 but fine on pc/xbox/...ps4. ) on and the usual entitled gamers stuff.

last RE thing he talked about that havent bothered posting about, was theres a resident evil for switch in the works, running on the RE engine thats doing monster hunter rise. his own thought about it is that its a new rev3 with the rebecca stuff that they cut when they made rev3 re8.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 26, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I would definitely appreciate seeing some CYOA/branching paths return to future RE games. More stuff like the split path in the village portion of RE4.

It’s not a great value proposition for the developer, as they’re creating content most of their audience would never see, but it makes for a richer play experience in the way that it adds personal investment and weight to what happens to the character. And as someone who plays most of the games multiple times, I’d appreciate it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I would definitely appreciate seeing some CYOA/branching paths return to future RE games. More stuff like the split path in the village portion of RE4.

I mean you're presumably stuck in a place and you need to escape. There oughta be many ways out, not one or even two.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

I mean you're presumably stuck in a place and you need to escape. There oughta be many ways out, not one or even two.
Sure, there ought to be, but let's not forget that video games are still made by people and that there are only so many ways of escaping that they can actually include in the game while still realistically staying within a finite budget.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what was the last big game with a truly branching story? the witcher 2?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oof, uhm... The last one I can personally remember would probably be Baldur's Gate 2, because of the big branch in the second chapter. It's not actually a big thing in games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean both Remake 2 and 3 are functionally just modernizations of the ps1 games.

For 3 this turned out to be a bad idea

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that is reaching a bit. Both of them change the format of the games substantially, including the sequence of events and at times even the plot. They're "remakes" in the most true sense, in that they take the basic idea, start from zero and make an entirely new and different game from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
They kind of hinted that The Village had branching paths, or "Different ways to tackle the castle" but for all that means it could just be choosing which order to get a couple puzzle pieces that lead to weapons