Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao, part 9 looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's the power cheap trick should have had

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Paper Lion posted:

he hosed up and made crazy diamond a kind of boring stand in comparison

Crazy Diamond's healing is really cool and versatile, though?

Paper Lion posted:

okuyasu is basically a lobotomite to justify why he doesnt just use the hand to teleport around, let alone all the other interesting things he could do with it that never even get touched on.

But he does teleport around. Multiple times, even.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Legitimately a good point. We also miss out on Joseph going "oh drat i just got brought back to life, time to play a sick prank on my grandson"

That, and Jotaro relenting because the potential world-eating vampire in front of him was aware of both Bo Derek and Weird Al Yankovic was probably the highlight of a very solid season.

multijoe posted:

That is the problem, Echoes is a Gold Experience tier Swiss Army Stand that can do pretty much anything with enough imagination and its given to the shy designated support guy, so of course it has to be mishandled and eventually needed to be nerfed because otherwise Koichi would end up overshadowing Josuke and Jotaro

Speaking of, whatever happened to Golden Wind's ability to reflect attacks target at it and punch people into delirium? Both of them just never show up after like episode 2. I'm assuming it's because its main power of being able to do anything was sufficient, but it's weird how quickly they disappear without comment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most of the enemies in part 5 are people that giorno probably wouldn't be able to get close to in an average fight and also damage reflection is really dumb to write around and i feel like araki realized that and thankfully got rid of it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Giorno genuinely has no opportunity to use that ability again after it failed on Black Sabbath because he's either fighting someone who is shielded/ranged/already dead, incapacitated, or not directly involved in the fight.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just because someone can potentially use their power in any other number of ways doesn't take away from how they're shown to use their powers imo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's actually plenty of opportunities for the damage reflection to show up as it originally appeared. When Koichi used Three Freeze (which doesn't even actually rhyme, and the effect isn't even "freezing," it's making things heavier, this has always bugged me) on Giorno's tree he got hit with the weight effect. By that logic Cioccolata, at the very least, should have taken damage when the tree branch got eaten by mold in the Green Day fight.

That said, it's legitimately better for the story and fights that it disappeared, I just take issue with pretending it's not inconsistent.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Three and freeze are not a perfect rhyme but they unquestionably rhyme with each other.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The rhyming syllable doesn't even end both words! I will not budge on this!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Doesn't have to, that's the magic of language~*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when people say he doesn't have much opportunity they generally mean the punch thing to make their senses go crazy. there's not many chances for giorno to just run up and hit any of the myriad of highly deadly assassins and whoever. the damage reflection could apply in literally every scenario which is why it's bad and probably why it got completely ignored later on. it was either that or he'd have to write every encounter around it and most likely end up finding ways to nullify it in some roundabout way that satisfies no one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Johnny Joestar posted:

when people say he doesn't have much opportunity they generally mean the punch thing to make their senses go crazy. there's not many chances for giorno to just run up and hit any of the myriad of highly deadly assassins and whoever. the damage reflection could apply in literally every scenario which is why it's bad and probably why it got completely ignored later on. it was either that or he'd have to write every encounter around it and most likely end up finding ways to nullify it in some roundabout way that satisfies no one.

Oh, right, of course.

The damage reflection thing is also completely at odds with Giorno's gross healing power, now that I think about it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Crazy Diamond is absolutely the ideal stand. Thematic, simple but versatile power with well defined rules (for the most part) that allow for lots of imaginative fights with satisfying conclusions. Big part of why part 4 is the best, imo

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Johnny Joestar posted:

my dislike of echoes mainly comes from having knowledge of the entire series and knowing that it's wasted potential that could have been handled much better. it's not some indictment of araki or anything, just another instance of it being obvious that he didn't think something through as well as he could have back then on the weekly schedule he was on.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd thought you meant it sucked conceptually. I definitely agree it was handled way less well than it could've been.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

W.T. Fits posted:

Echoes ACT 1 has the power to put sound effects on people or objects. If placed on an object, the object will keep playing that sound; if placed on a person, that person will keep hearing the sound in their head.
Echoes ACT 2 has the power to alter reality by placing sound effects on things, thus making the things take on the qualities of the sound effect; ie, placing the sound effect for "burning" on something will make it catch on fire.
Echoes ACT 3 has the power to make things really heavy to impede their movement because Koichi really, really, REALLY wanted to stop Sheer Heart Attack from getting close enough to blow up Jotaro or himself.

frankly the only reason Echoes Act 2 isn't the most ludicrous stand in Part 4 and/or most of the series is that Rohan is in the same part

and in some silly white room scenario Echoes Act 2 might even have the edge

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

Oh, right, of course.

The damage reflection thing is also completely at odds with Giorno's gross healing power, now that I think about it.

Not completely. It all falls into the realm of protection.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

somepartsareme posted:

Crazy Diamond is absolutely the ideal stand. Thematic, simple but versatile power with well defined rules (for the most part) that allow for lots of imaginative fights with satisfying conclusions. Big part of why part 4 is the best, imo

Yeah, simple power with large applications makes for the best kind of stand. Sticky Fingers is in the same boat with how it got used, as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Cioccolata is actually the specific guy I was thinking of, since I think he's the first enemy Giorno actually manages to punch. Not that there's much point to bringing up the delirium punch there, since he gets punched pretty dead.

I did enjoy how Rohan got foiled in ever increasingly specific ways despite his absolutely ludicrous stand, culminating in "if you flip this page you will die" from Bites the Dust.

FirstAidKite posted:

Not completely. It all falls into the realm of protection.

I think they mean that if all things created by Giorno reflect damage dealt to them, that would include any body part he has created. Such as his face after Baby Face stole parts of it. As it was introduced, those parts would be invulnerable and hurt anyone attacking them, meaning that the gang would be basically invincible once they'd gotten banged up enough times.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Josuke uses his medic powers in super creative ways ( big fan of exploding a motorcycle and rebuilding it underneath himself)
(Also fixing that spaghetti)

Giorno never uses his medic powers to like, give someone a snake arm, which he definitely could.

Gold Experience is so wasted outside of pretty much White Album and Cioccolata

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The best use Giorno gets out of Gold Experience is making Mista that loving surfboard out of grass.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Three and freeze are not a perfect rhyme but they unquestionably rhyme with each other.

Arist posted:

The rhyming syllable doesn't even end both words! I will not budge on this!

Yeah, it's more about the flow than an actual rhyme between the two words. Maybe that's why the ability is hosed up and doesn't really freeze properly, an imperfect power for an imperfect rhyme :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Since they never say otherwise I assume that all of Gold Experience’s punches are doing the time-stretching-out thing and we just don’t see it. Makes Cioccolata’s beat down even more brutal

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Since they never say otherwise I assume that all of Gold Experience’s punches are doing the time-stretching-out thing and we just don’t see it. Makes Cioccolata’s beat down even more brutal

Agreed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sockser posted:

Giorno never uses his medic powers to like, give someone a snake arm, which he definitely could.

There was that time he turned a brick that had been exposed to purple haze into a snake whose body could fight off purple haze's effects, or that time he gave narancia a spare tongue

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I actually wonder if Tite Kubo had the same interpretation, and copied the general idea when he was writing the ending of the Mayuri vs. Szayel fight in Bleach. Especially since Mayuri and Szayel are both evil mad scientists, and Mayuri's design also bears some resemblance to Cioccolata's.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

:hmmyes:

That said, I do find it hilarious how the beginning of DIU immediately establishes "Josuke messes up healing when he's pissed.", only for him to punch through an innocent woman and a guy (possessed by Angelo) with no real injury to either of them beyond the knife put in the latter's stomach.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:hmmyes:

That said, I do find it hilarious how the beginning of DIU immediately establishes "Josuke messes up healing when he's pissed.", only for him to punch through an innocent woman and a guy (possessed by Angelo) with no real injury to either of them beyond the knife put in the latter's stomach.

I thought he healed that thug wrong on purpose to be a dick? Honestly I always thought Crazy Diamond’s power was to reassemble/restore things, not specifically healing, so it’s allowed to “cheat” like a Nen ability in Hunter x Hunter by using the user’s ingenuity as it’s only hard limitation. Stuff like him turning people into rocks and books (which, like, Jesus ducking Christ for the latter, at least Angelo was a Kira-level monster) only works if his ability is restoration and not healing specifically.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I thought he healed that thug wrong on purpose to be a dick?

Beyond putting a knife into his stomach, the guy seems to have been put back together just fine is what I mean. At least compared to, say, what happened to the bully's nose or even Jotaro's hat earlier when Josuke was met with a similar insult to his hair. And the hostage didn't seem to have any problems with her at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Beyond putting a knife into his stomach, the guy seems to have been put back together just fine is what I mean. At least compared to, say, what happened to the bully's nose or even Jotaro's hat earlier when Josuke was met with a similar insult to his hair. And the hostage didn't seem to have any problems with her at all.

I meant the bullying thug who made him touch a turtle, I guess he’s a high school bully technically but Jojo has some real thug-rear end designs for its bullying unnamed NPCs whether they’re high schoolers, dumb kids bullying a dumb rich kid, nazis or police.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't beliieve dub Cioccolata doesn't tell Secco "I love you"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

FirstAidKite posted:

What the gently caress

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

Did they do the Netflix Evangelion thing and replace it to "Worthy of my grace"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

What the gently caress

Genuinely

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/msellyg/status/1310071279605645312?s=21

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

overmind2000 posted:

Did they do the Netflix Evangelion thing and replace it to "Worthy of my grace"

"You are very dear to me"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

"You are very dear to me"

Wow that's bullshit, come on

https://twitter.com/milkand__/status/632656094670647298

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voz1kIsepPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Can you spoil a cliff's notes of the main thrust because I'm not sure i want to watch 20 minutes on why someone doesn't like a thing