Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah... that’s the part that threw me a bit. He legit offered to drive them.

Starlight needed to use his cars electricity to cauterize Hughies wound. This would have immediately blown her cover. Additionally, the dude could've recognised Butcher during the car ride.

Taking the lift wasn't an option. Hughie probably would've died on the trip.

Also while the whole situation was hosed I found the irony of one concealed carry owner would jump to conclusions about another. Sorta feeds into the feeling America gives where every gun owner thinks they're the one good one, at least from a foreigners perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

StashAugustine posted:

yeah im not sure letting him drive a rogue superhero, wanted terrorist, and guy dying of internal bleeding would be a good idea

Oh word then they should just kill an innocent man that makes way more sense

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

piL posted:

I dont think its appropriate for the story, so I hope they don't do it, but at some point I thought: what if Stormfront's power is power absorption through killing supes, and she's grooming Homelander for lunch and the super secret objectives Vought is transhumanism via consumption.

(galaxy brain) transhuman ascendancy via interdimensional auto-homicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwRKLp1Gk0

want to also echo how pleased I am that The Canonical Best Character is also bi, bless u The Boys

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Deep is bi?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh word then they should just kill an innocent man that makes way more sense

it was a good learning opportunity, don't pull a gun unless ur gonna start blasting. his fault honestly

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boo_radley posted:

(galaxy brain) transhuman ascendancy via interdimensional auto-homicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwRKLp1Gk0

want to also echo how pleased I am that The Canonical Best Character is also bi, bless u The Boys

I was thinking Vampire the Masquerade, but I'll take it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey guys I think Homelander might be an allegory for American imperialism! But if that were the case why would he so directly and passionately embrace fascist and racist ideology?!?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

the Deep has a very focused and powerful himbro energy. He is a cocksman ne plus ultra. His libido will ultimately be the downfall of the Collective and he will listen be aware of it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Homelander squishing that crackhead's skull like a panini just to get off was the kind of darkness that this show has always been building towards but it was still hard to watch. I like Aya Cash as an actress a whole bunch but I loathe Storefront.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey guys I think Homelander might be an allegory for American imperialism! But if that were the case why would he so directly and passionately embrace fascist and racist ideology?!?

I'm something of a history buff, a wonk if you will, and it just doesn't make any sense.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Butcher escalating things to the point where someone unnecessarily dies is the entire point, hence the earlier confrontation with Starlight where she compares him to Homelander, and the scene with his wife, and the scene where he starts a random fight at a nightclub and hospitalizes a dude (in the best case scenario) just to feel something. That's the basic gist of the character and the reason why Hughie being his "canary" is important - Butcher's entire arc is one big "stare too long into the abyss" moment that he seems to mostly be losing himself to.

There were a dozen ways they could have avoided killing that guy and probably even handled the situation faster and with less risk to Hughie, but Butcher didn't want to. Not only that, he's clearly a corrupting influence, which is why Starlight tries to call him out for quietly approving of her actions and why everyone in Butcher's orbit wanted nothing to do with him at first. There's a good scene in season 1 where MM calls him out for putting people in danger in the name of his own revenge - he says something like "last time it was Mallory's family, but this time it would be my family". Butcher talks about Supes seeing humans like insects but everyone else is just as disposable to him as they are to Homelander.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty sure he didn't go grab the gun out of his glovebox until Butcher, blatantly lying about being FBI, shows him his gun. At this point he could make an educated guess that these people are going to murder him on the side of a back country road.

I don't think the writers would have put in the line about "stand your ground" if all we were meant to take away is that a poor innocent bloke got killed despite doing everything right. "Stand your ground" is all about not backing down from a confrontation even if you have the means to, and using deadly force instead. It's basically drawing attention to the fact that he could have retreated/given up his Hyundai but he was going to kill Butcher instead. Which I think feeds into why Starlight doesn't necessarily feel much sympathy for the guy later.

Of course Butcher almost seemed like he was trying to handle the situation badly with the obvious lies/attitude. Maybe he knew Starlight would step in and wanted to push her into action?

Either way it's a really well done scene, whether your take is that it just reinforces how morally dubious our heroes are or if it has some wider message about people thinking violence will solve their problems (and specifically, being told that by politicians/leaders).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Loreal for kids, strawberry cream. I seen the bottle. Hateful poo poo.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bust Rodd posted:

I like Aya Cash as an actress a whole bunch but I loathe Storefront.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Has Starlight done any, uh, super heroing for the 7? I don't remember her being on any sort of mission.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
she was at the docks with Deep in season 1.v Did some light vigilante with while walking in an alley, too

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BurritoJustice posted:

Starlight needed to use his cars electricity to cauterize Hughies wound. This would have immediately blown her cover. Additionally, the dude could've recognised Butcher during the car ride.

Taking the lift wasn't an option. Hughie probably would've died on the trip.

Also while the whole situation was hosed I found the irony of one concealed carry owner would jump to conclusions about another. Sorta feeds into the feeling America gives where every gun owner thinks they're the one good one, at least from a foreigners perspective

Yeah it was definitely a riff on American gun culture and the assumption that "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", the hosed nature of SYG laws, etc. But it also demonstrated that Starlight is on a slippery slope as much as anyone else in Butcher's orbit - not only because of him provoking their proclivity towards violence to save those they care about (obviously an running theme in his interactions with the Boys and something that got inverted on him when he tried to spring Becca and Kid HL) but also how charming and congenial he can be when he wants to (the nice little bonding moment between him and Starlight in the hospital). The latter didn't read as romantic to me at all, it was obviously Butcher's big brother like affection for Hughie coming through and Starlight needing to connect to someone in a human way to recenter herself after murking a dude.

Speaking of, Starlight is super strong right? She manhandled Hughie in S1 like it was nothing when he confessed to her in Central Park and she can obviously take a bullet, so I was expecting her to just grab the guy and stuff him in the trunk or something, not go full lite brite on him. Heat of the moment I suppose.

Good episode overall. I loved the moment between Butcher and Kimiko watching the Stormfront & Homelander promo thing, really dug the background on Frenchie as well as his interactions with Kimiko, Homelander acting like a latent incel who falls bass ackwards into a relationship (with the attendant high school shooter-esque breakdown), Iceman was great in his supporting stuff, just great stuff all around. I didn't really buy A-train getting duped into the cult - feels like he's smart enough to see where that goes and even if he is broke it's better to be broke and free than beholden to loonies. Curious to see how that plays out. Maeve's storyline felt very rushed, probably could've used another episode or two to establish her and Elena navigating their sudden public relationship before dropping the bomb like that.

If Stormfront and Homelander are going along with their supe army plan, then it makes sense that Edgar would let the Boys run around and also let Starlight help them - there's no way he doesn't know about what both sides are up to and setting up the Boys as terrorists who are good at either killing or flipping supes could give Vought more leverage to ramp up supe production. Speaking of which, there are supposed to be supe terrorists all over the world, what happened with that plotline? We've seen 3 (the Middle Eastern exploding guy, Kimiko's brother, and the African guy that HL lasered) but I imagine there would be more than just Maeve and Black Noir can clean up alone.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 27, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The guy flinches right before Starlight murks him, it seems like he is preparing to shoot and she's reacting to that

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

FWIW, this scene really stuck out in my mind specifically because it seemed really well handled: Frenchie is promoting it because he wants trans strippers, and MM literally says "thanks man, strippers just aren't my thing, with or without nuts" and then we get another amazing MM moment when his eyes light up thinking of spending a week golfing.

I am Bi and having my favorite character in the show and the one who I respond to the most being Bi makes me feel SO GOOD! Seeing him in a weird drug-fueled throuple was awesome and i forgive the show for absolutely wasting him for the last 2 episodes, this payoff was very Frenchie-centric and it was great.

well i am bi and trans, and i'm telling you that this is terribly handled, and completely took me out of the episode. it is exactly the type of transphobic bullshit that's been on tv and film for years and years and i expect better in the year 2020.

like, i'm stoked that you're happy about bi representation because i am too, it's so rare, but as i said previously, the fact he wants trans strippers is not evidence of him being bi, trans women are women and the men attracted to us in a lot of cases are boring old straight guys (just like cis women), only they feel ashamed of it because of poo poo-house jokes like this. i have dealt with the real life implications of this, and it is awful and dangerous.

if the beginning and end of your transgender representation is as a punchline to a joke about trans women sex workers that carries the implication that attraction to us is ~exotic~ or makes you in any way not straight, it's transphobic as gently caress, and it's not any different to the media representation that's been happening for years and years that we are a) 'really' men pretending or b) exoticised freaks.

side note: the 'with or without nuts' line sucks - tons of trans women including sex workers don't have 'nuts'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The A Train song at the end is so perfectly generic and lame and believable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jabby posted:

EDIT: Slightly disappointed Butcher couldn't handle it like he handles a gun pointed at him in the comic (takes the gun, crumples it up in his V-enhanced fist, and says "Glock's a wanker's gun, son".

Really? That sounds awful.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

thrawn527 posted:

Really? That sounds awful.

That's how you know it's from the comic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grem posted:

Has Starlight done any, uh, super heroing for the 7? I don't remember her being on any sort of mission.

In season 1 there's a plotline about her planning to go out on patrol like she used to do in her hometown, and then being given a schedule by Vought that lays out every single crime she will just so happen to encounter that night and prevent. The entire thing is stage-managed even if the criminals are real (Vought just doesn't share the intelligence it gathers with the police force), and the one time she jumps in on her own to attack a couple guys assaulting a woman it gets her in a shitload of trouble for putting Vought in danger of a lawsuit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg why Huey was telling Starlight to shut up when she was giving BB the business. It’s not like he didn’t have it coming, or that Billy could have done poo poo to her. Stand by your woman Huey.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Hey if y'all like Aya Cash, in addition to You're The Worst (which has been mentioned before) she's the lead in a semi-horror-semi-comedy film called Scare Me which comes out on the streaming service Shudder on October 1. It's hilarious and delightful, and I don't even really like horror movies.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some people are. I assume it will be whatever the writers need it to be. It's a publically traded company after all. Personally I'll assume that she has some shares, but doesn't have the majority of them. I trust the show will address it and why Mr Edgar put her on The Seven later.

There's no way she doesn't have controlling interest. Like someone else said, Edgar didn't put her on the 7. She put herself there.

quote:

Why would she wait so long to start trying to manipulate Homelander if she was in charge this whole time?

Stormfront stopped being Liberty because she wanted to spend time with her daughter. After her daughter died she took time to reinvent herself as Stormfront.

Bedshaped posted:

Watching Cobra Kai alongside The Boys and it just dawned on me now that Stillwell is Ali from The Karate Kid.

She's also the babysitter from Adventures in Babysitting. That's right. All those years ago Stillwell sang The Babysittin' Blues.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vintersorg posted:

It took a bit for it to cut too - just sustained where as the bullet bounces off on its one tick. Didn't someone here post you can stab thru kevlar?

You can shoot through Kevlar too; just like in chemistry the "how much" is as important as the what. Most modern Kevlar vests are highly stab and cut-resistant.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... I just figured he was a slut

Edit: ... pan, I think? He's just generally down to clown

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Defiance Industries posted:

Homelander dropping "MY GIRLFRIEND" in there. He is a true Goon at heart.

Can The Boys make a printer so heavy that even Homelander can't carry it?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

... I just figured he was a slut

Ugh, pretty messy bi stereotype mate

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 27, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Breakfast Burrito posted:

well i am bi and trans, and i'm telling you that this is terribly handled, and completely took me out of the episode. it is exactly the type of transphobic bullshit that's been on tv and film for years and years and i expect better in the year 2020.

like, i'm stoked that you're happy about bi representation because i am too, it's so rare, but as i said previously, the fact he wants trans strippers is not evidence of him being bi, trans women are women and the men attracted to us in a lot of cases are boring old straight guys (just like cis women), only they feel ashamed of it because of poo poo-house jokes like this. i have dealt with the real life implications of this, and it is awful and dangerous.

if the beginning and end of your transgender representation is as a punchline to a joke about trans women sex workers that carries the implication that attraction to us is ~exotic~ or makes you in any way not straight, it's transphobic as gently caress, and it's not any different to the media representation that's been happening for years and years that we are a) 'really' men pretending or b) exoticised freaks.

side note: the 'with or without nuts' line sucks - tons of trans women including sex workers don't have 'nuts'

This is basically what I was putting my thoughts together to say. "<x> is bi because they're attracted to trans people" is a garbage stereotype, and believe it or not reducing a trans person their genitals is not at all flattering. It's sideshow poo poo and by now writers should know better.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Serge is a really interesting character. This episode did a whole lot to take him back from mooning over Kimmy for a long time.

A train knows that he’s in the cult, but if he’s not lying about his promotional deals, they’re clearly blackmailing him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Golden Bee posted:

Serge is a really interesting character. This episode did a whole lot to take him back from mooning over Kimmy for a long time.

A train knows that he’s in the cult, but if he’s not lying about his promotional deals, they’re clearly blackmailing him.

Who are Serge and Kimmy?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who are Serge and Kimmy?
Frenchie's girlfriend sometimes called him Serge, Kimmy is Kimiko, aka The Female

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who are Serge and Kimmy?

Frenchie and Kimiko.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Ugh, pretty messy bi stereotype mate

He has the personality of a male dolphin and the sexual preferences of a drake.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You guys are big ol doofuses if you really call them Serge and Kimmy and not Frenchie and Kimiko lol

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Of course the Deep is bi. Kevin is down for anything, be it human or fish.

I don't really have an opinion on the trans joke, but maybe look at it in the perspective that it was supposed to be 8 years ago, and people weren't as woke back then?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Finally got to watch the episode, I'm still calling Cindy Tetsuo.

And I hope we get an orbital cannon taking shots at Homelander at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elephant Ambush posted:

She's also the babysitter from Adventures in Babysitting. That's right. All those years ago Stillwell sang The Babysittin' Blues.

And she had to deal with children that thought they were super heroes, calling it a prequel