Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Carillon posted:

Anyone had the Angels Envy Rye? I'm curious how the rum cask finish works, or if it sweetens it up too much?

Very very sweet, I like sweet so I like it. But even for me it’s like a good nice in awhile type drink.

I consider it sweeter than WR double oaked, and OF 1910, which are two big dessert type drams(although neither are ryes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I went to the liquor store, got Whistlepig 12, Jefferson’s Ocean Cask Strength and then couldn’t decide between Old Forester 1920 or Four Roses Small Batch Select or something else. Anyone have a preference?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gatts posted:

I went to the liquor store, got Whistlepig 12, Jefferson’s Ocean Cask Strength and then couldn’t decide between Old Forester 1920 or Four Roses Small Batch Select or something else. Anyone have a preference?

I love OF 1920, but not the $55 price tag. I also love all the four roses. I do need a few drops of water in the OF for it to sweeten up a bit but all the four roses I drink neat. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Old Forester 1920 100%. The small batch is fine but bland by comparison. OF1920 is what I recommend to people who are looking to expand outside the stock Knob Creek or Buffalo Trace.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you guys!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The FR single barrel otoh...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
IMO Small Batch Select (NCF dark brown label) beats regular 4R single barrel hands-down.
I blinded it against 2 lower proof K yeast barrel picks a few months ago and it was definitely a winner, and I think K (and F) are the best Four Roses barrels.

It is an entirely different beast from 1920 though, they have completely different profiles. The Old Forester is more sugary sweeter and "darker" tasting (chocolate, coffee, caramel) while the Four Roses is almost all fruit and spices

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

New Riff is pretty great and started by people who legitimately care about spirits / bourbon.

Rabbit hole is contract distilling out of New Riff until their space in Louisville is up and running. I have no opinion on this.

I have an opinion. Don't buy anything made by Rabbit Hole, it's aged an incredibly short span and wildly marked up. OK that was it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

Anyone had the Angels Envy Rye? I'm curious how the rum cask finish works, or if it sweetens it up too much?

Like others said, it's seemingly the sweetest barrel finished American whiskey on the market that supposedly doesn't contain additives. My bottle has sediment swirling around after being left untouched for a year or two.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Stagg Jr., Bookers 30, Van Winkle flight, etc. was fun.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Bar looks like it had a hell of a selection. Where is it?

E: I swear to God if that's your basement bar.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lowness 72 posted:

Bar looks like it had a hell of a selection. Where is it?

E: I swear to God if that's your basement bar.

Lmao no. It’s a Lizardville in Akron-Cleveland. We have a chain, Winking Lizard, and they made a little subdivision of a whiskey bar for themselves that has a ton of whiskeys, scotches, bourbons and is a beer store that has a tremendous selection. It’s awesome and my go to bar close to home. That’s half of what they have, The other one is LBM that’s further away which is a Viking themed cocktail/speakeasy type bar.

This is my home bar...

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 19, 2020

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Gatts posted:

Lmao no. It’s a Lizardville in Akron-Cleveland. We have a chain, Winking Lizard, and they made a little subdivision of a whiskey bar for themselves that has a ton of whiskeys, scotches, bourbons and is a beer store that has a tremendous selection. It’s awesome and my go to bar close to home. That’s half of what they have, The other one is LBM that’s further away which is a Viking themed cocktail/speakeasy type bar.
Wish I’d found that Winking Lizard instead of the profoundly mediocre one near the stadium. But LBM...LBM more than made up for it. What a gem.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Sounds like WT is coming out with a 13 year Russel’ Reserve barrel proof.

Which on one sand sounds awesome, on the other, will it ever be findable? And will it get tatered so hard that people start buying rare breed instead? If so, I am not excited.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Sounds like WT is coming out with a 13 year Russel’ Reserve barrel proof.

Which on one sand sounds awesome, on the other, will it ever be findable? And will it get tatered so hard that people start buying rare breed instead? If so, I am not excited.

Thank god they're finally releasing one of these things at barrel proof. Let the bird kick, dammit!

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
So, after years of drinking bottom shelf garbage, I received a small windfall a few months ago and I decided to start figuring out what type of whiskey I like. I'm generally of limited means, so I have been mostly sticking to $20-30 bottles with a few treats in-between. Im far from a sommelier, so forgive me if my tasting notes from the last few months aren't super descriptive.

Here's thoughts.

Irish: before my journey, Jameson or 2 Gingers was my go to when I was feeling a little fancy. Theyre both fine, but inoffensive. Neither leaves me with much to think about.. I've since had Proper 12 which I think i like a little more, but its a bit one note. I'd be open to suggestions, but my local selection isn't super broad.

Scotch: I really wanted to appreciate scotch but I honestly think it's not really for me. I'm still open, but with the price points being a bit higher, its not cheap to explore. I started with Glenlivet 12, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but that may be the bourbon barrel finish. Probably spoiled me though because from there I went to Dewars, which tasted like I was chewing on oak bark, and Laphroaig, which I've since defined as the scotch that made me realize I'm a bourbon drinker. The peatyness was not for me.

Bourbon/American Whiskey: here I seem to have found my wheelhouse. I really enjoy woodford reserve, makers mark, and (don't hate on me for this) I often fall back on Evan Williams Single Barrel. I really don't like regular evan williams, and if I'm feeling cheap, I go for jim beam white over it every time. Usually to make a whiskey sour with. I feel like I've not enjoyed high rye whiskeys as much, although I preferred bulliet rye to their bourbon, so im open to the idea of higher rye content. I lucked into an eagle rare early in my experience, and today scored a buffalo trace (which i used to drink before it was harder to find), which i would place maybe a step above woodford and EWSB. Being a nerd, im kinda interested in the chase of the rare bottle, but don't want to pester store clerks too much.

Does anyone have recommendations for me that would be interesting and not too costly?

Edit: or, honestly, things to look out for?

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 22, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Irish:
Redbreast first and foremost. The quintessential expression of the Irish Pot Still style of whiskey. Green Spot would be my go-to after that.
Powers 12 years old John's Lane release is also excellent (but skip the other powerses)

Scotch: Well you've tried two extremes, the very soft (but somewhat boring) glenfiddich, and the most part of peaty whiskies Laphroaig.

I am 100% sure there is something in between that you will like and will make you realize that you're also a Scotch drinker. ;) There is just such a massive range of flavors in Scotch that it's hard to generalize it.

As for recommendations there are a couple in the OP. I would suggest going for something like Balvenie Doublewood which is very easy to drink still but a tad more interesting than Glenfiddich. I would also suggest Glengoyne as a very pretty single malt without a single hint of peat. GlenAllachie 12yo is a good one to try as well, it's got some good Sherry influence but is a bit heavier and oilier without going to the smoky side.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

Scotch: I really wanted to appreciate scotch but I honestly think it's not really for me. I'm still open, but with the price points being a bit higher, its not cheap to explore. I started with Glenlivet 12, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but that may be the bourbon barrel finish. Probably spoiled me though because from there I went to Dewars, which tasted like I was chewing on oak bark, and Laphroaig, which I've since defined as the scotch that made me realize I'm a bourbon drinker. The peatyness was not for me.
As mentioned in the post above you are at the extremes. As someone who moved from bourbon into scotch it can take a bit to get used to the different styles. For a bourbon transition I would try Glen Garioch 12 & Balvenie Doublewood. Both of those should similar yet different enough for most bourbon drinkers to enjoy(Glen Garioch 12 is one of my absolute favorites, YMMV). Also absolutely try something with a sherry influence. I'm partial to Aberlour myself.

spankmeister posted:

Irish:
Redbreast first and foremost. The quintessential expression of the Irish Pot Still style of whiskey. Green Spot would be my go-to after that.
Powers 12 years old John's Lane release is also excellent (but skip the other powerses)

I've only ever had Jameson. How does that compare to the others you've mentioned? That Powers was really trendy / highly regarded about a year or so ago, but I've yet to pick up a bottle.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Gejimayu posted:

Bourbon/American Whiskey: here I seem to have found my wheelhouse. I really enjoy woodford reserve, makers mark, and (don't hate on me for this) I often fall back on Evan Williams Single Barrel. I really don't like regular evan williams, and if I'm feeling cheap, I go for jim beam white over it every time. Usually to make a whiskey sour with. I feel like I've not enjoyed high rye whiskeys as much, although I preferred bulliet rye to their bourbon, so im open to the idea of higher rye content. I lucked into an eagle rare early in my experience, and today scored a buffalo trace (which i used to drink before it was harder to find), which i would place maybe a step above woodford and EWSB. Being a nerd, im kinda interested in the chase of the rare bottle, but don't want to pester store clerks too much.

Does anyone have recommendations for me that would be interesting and not too costly?

I like Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (white label) more than the black label or Jim Beam White. I can usually find it for ~$15. Wild Turkey 101 is a few dollars more but is probably my favorite bang for your buck bourbon. If you want to splurge, pick up Four Roses Single Barrel ($40).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i got a bunch of suggestions when i asked for whisky suggestions months ago. here's my terrible personal notes that make senses to me - which is the most important part of tasting notes:

Good:
Longmorn Distiller's Choice - mild kick, lots of strong flavours, good as an occasional drink, overall alright wouldn't drink often - much better on a second pass, still not as good as the BenRiach but would drink more often
BenRiach 12y Sherry Wood - really nice, small spice to it and really smooth, could drink regularly, overall would drink again
Redbreast 12y - strong character up front, no real variance to taste more of a single flavour with slight burn, very pleasant taste overall
GlenDronach 12y - Better than 'generic whisky' but hard to get any specific characteristics for it. would get more, but nothing particularly exceptional

Alright:
Glenrothes 10y - really generic, nothing special, overall eh

Bad:
Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair - slight kick, no real strong flavours, very dry, overall eh. turns into a smooth generic whisky after sitting for a few days

yeah the Bunnahabhain was strangely dry, never really had that with a whisky before but it turned out good after a few days so it's more Alright. still would just grab Balvenie Doublewood, Aberlour 10y, or Tamdhu instead though - those are amazing, maybe i'll grab another benriach though. i taste a major difference between the aberlour 10 from the 12, but that might be a bad bottling of the 12 i had

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gejimayu posted:

So, after years of drinking bottom shelf garbage, I received a small windfall a few months ago and I decided to start figuring out what type of whiskey I like. I'm generally of limited means, so I have been mostly sticking to $20-30 bottles with a few treats in-between. Im far from a sommelier, so forgive me if my tasting notes from the last few months aren't super descriptive.

Here's thoughts.

Irish: before my journey, Jameson or 2 Gingers was my go to when I was feeling a little fancy. Theyre both fine, but inoffensive. Neither leaves me with much to think about.. I've since had Proper 12 which I think i like a little more, but its a bit one note. I'd be open to suggestions, but my local selection isn't super broad.

In terms of Scotch, there are (quite broadly) three big influences on the flavor: the spirit itself (including malt vs grain, distillation process, etc.), the peated versus unpeated spectrum, and the barrel finishing. Unless otherwise noted, most Scotch is finished in ex-bourbon barrels or a mix of ex-bourbon and ex-sherry, but none of what you've tried is focused on sherry cask flavors. I would try one or two bottles of those. Glendronach, Glenfarclas, Aberlour, and much of the Macallan line are focused on sherry notes, as are a number of particular bottles offered by the other big names (e.g., Glenfiddich 15). You'll definitely want to give at least one or two such bottles a try. It's worth noting that Redbreast (the Irish whiskey rightfully recommended above) also has a decent amount of sherry influence.

In terms of peat, a strong dislike of Laphroaig doesn't mean you'll hate all Scotch (or even all peated Scotch!). Laphroaig is super divisive, possibly moreso than any other distillery. If you ever feel like returning to a (much lighter) peat experience you could do worse than trying Oban 14 (SUPER delicate, but tasty) or Johnnie Walker Green Label (low-to-moderate peat influence, fairly sweet, lots of notes for a blend). Of course, there are plenty of other lightly peated options as well, but there's no need to dive right back into peat when there are so many other options to explore.

In terms of American stuff, I think you'd like Buffalo Trace, which I look at as a gold standard for straightforward, drinkable bourbon. You can expand into Elijah Craig for more barrel flavors, and bump up into the cast strength stuff if you're looking for a full-bodied, wallet-emptying experience (Stagg Jr., Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, etc.) You should also give more ryes a try if you haven't already--some of the cheap ryes you may have had in the past are pretty rough and may have soured you on the stuff. Best entry-level rye I would recommend is Rittenhouse. If you like that one you might bump up and try it's bigger brother, Pikesville. Sazerac is also good, and sweeter than most ryes. Since you like Bulliet Rye (which I love, but mostly as a mixer) you might consider some other 95%/100% ryes. Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye covers the sweeter end of that group, and anything out of MGP covers the big herbaceous, minty side of rye. If you're up for an adventure (and you can find it) you could try Bone Snapper, which bottles a barrel strength MGP rye.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 23, 2020

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Gejimayu posted:

Here's thoughts.

Store picks store picks store picks. You don't have to spend that much more and get some great riffs on your favorites. If you're inclined to Facebook, find a state or local bourbon group and many liquor store owners who are strong into bourbon will tell the group when they're getting their picks in so they could get first grab.

You also will learn who has good picks because the good stores will have a line up out the door when a good whiskey drops.

It's also fun to get a few different bottles of the same bourbon but from different stores and do your own taste test to see how much they vary. I know Eagle Rare, Russell's Reserves, and Woodford Reserve all have well regarded store pick programs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I hated Laphroaig the first time but the next day I wanted to try it again, the next day again. I still hate it but I would drink that nasty fire water every day.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I used to drink Buffalo Trace back when I could find it on every shelf, but its almost never around out here. I saw a 1.75 in my town earlier in the month but it was like $55 and I didn't want to pay that much at the time. I was near our local university yesterday and the closest liquor store had about 6 sitting on the shelf, as well as other allocated stuff.

Got a bottle for 23.99. It was actually quite delightful for that price. I wouldn't spend 40 on it but for 24 bucks it was great!

I scored an eagle rare store pick a few months ago and had a similar experience. Very good for $35 but I wouldn't pay secondary.

Ill take the scotch recommendations and try to further explore.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’ve been very much on a cask strength kick the last 6 months or so, jumping back and forth from like rare breed, to ECBP, to JDBP, Edradour natural cask strength, A’bunadh, etc.

Then this week I poured some Oban 14 and dang, sometimes it’s nice to just enjoy something softer and that Oban is a great fall dram. Green apples, a little bit of bribe/saltiness, honey, so enjoyable!

Then I poured some woodford double oaked and same deal. Sweet, easy to drink, just all around enjoyable.

So let this be your PSA to put those cask strength bottles away sometimes and just enjoy some well crafted whiskey at lower proofs.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I hear you, I noticed lately that my babby‘s first cask strength (Glenfarclas 105) will just kill all nuance in any softer whisky I drink shortly after, just like with peated whiskies.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Question for the thread: what's the furthest you'd drive for a guaranteed bottle of Weller Full Proof at retail?
Same question for Stagg Jr?
Other allocated but not limited edition bottles?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Question for the thread: what's the furthest you'd drive for a guaranteed bottle of Weller Full Proof at retail?

You know it's funny (this is unrelated to your driving question but related to Weller), I used to drink Weller in college and then for a bit after I graduated and had my first full-time job. I didn't have much cash at all so, while I can't remember how much it cost, it can't have been that expensive. It's crazy to me now that I can't even find a bottle, much less for msrp. I loved Weller but just due to my own personal history, it's a bit like someone said oh pbr? It now costs 40 bucks a can.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Two hour drive but I'm a basic bourbon bitch who loves Weller and FP is very good.

An hour for other allocated bottles.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I recently just got a big promotion and my sister in law wants to get me a nice bottle of bourbon.

It’s a totally nice gesture but the most I’ve ever spent is $55 on a bottle of OF 1920. I suggested four roses single barrel and she said she’s willing to do more than $45.

So I guess I’d say under $100 would be a good target.

I like Buffalo Trace, WT 101, and Four Roses.

What would you recommend that would be fairly easy to get in Massachusetts? She’s tried looking for eagle rare and Blanton without any luck in the past.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

nwin posted:

So I recently just got a big promotion and my sister in law wants to get me a nice bottle of bourbon.

It’s a totally nice gesture but the most I’ve ever spent is $55 on a bottle of OF 1920. I suggested four roses single barrel and she said she’s willing to do more than $45.

So I guess I’d say under $100 would be a good target.

I like Buffalo Trace, WT 101, and Four Roses.

What would you recommend that would be fairly easy to get in Massachusetts? She’s tried looking for eagle rare and Blanton without any luck in the past.

Four Roses Small Batch Select, Booker's, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, EHT Small Batch or Single Barrel
Where in MA? I can suggest some stores with good selections

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Four Roses store pick maybe?

I've yet to find a bourbon I like more than Four Roses Single Barrel at any price point.

If it were me, I would consider something out of the ordinary like High West Campfire, which I wouldn't see myself gambling $70 on but would gladly accept as a gift.

Edit: Yeah or small batch select, which I haven't had but heard is fantastic.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Possibly double posting with my blind for the week. Available high quality bottles @$50-60

I can't rank these except for the loser.
Competitors: Old Forester 1920, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Baker's 7y Single Barrel (new), New Riff Single Barrel Bourbon (111 proof barrel strength).

Nose
A. Heavy fruit, cherry vanilla, apple, slightly astringent
B. Cherry, chocolate, vanilla cream, frosting
C. Astringent butter, nutty, oranges, floral
D. Cherry, oak, strawberry, mint

Palate
A. Heavy cherry, heat, vanilla, rye spice pepper, long rear end finish
B. Oak, chocolate, smooth (yeah wtf) but bitter, brown sugar, vanilla and caramel
C. Sadly flat, floral, candy, nutty, brown sugar, oak
D. Brown sugar, oak, spice, raspberry, mint

Ranking: gently caress this, they all have positive aspects. I love the spice in A, I love the depth and heft of B, I love the balance, complexity and fruit in D
C falls flat but is still great whiskey - it's the weak point here, the rest are all worth the price

Reveal:
A: New Riff Single Barrel Bourbon
B: Old Forester 1920
C: Baker's 7 year single barrel
D: Four Roses Small Batch Select

I only paid $45 for the Baker's because it was mislabeled as the old batched version and priced that way. For $55 or whatever it is going for now you're better off with a knob creek single barrel pick unless you want the cool looking bottle. But I guess if you want that you can just get Legent for $40
New Riff SiB is a winner though, and I can't wait to taste older juice from them

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Four Roses Small Batch Select, Booker's, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, EHT Small Batch or Single Barrel
Where in MA? I can suggest some stores with good selections
Andover.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

nwin posted:

Andover.

You're a bit further north than I'm totally familiar with, but in range is Rapid Liquors in Stoneham, and Liquor Junction in Reading, Woburn, or Winchester
Both have great prices, selection, and store picks according to my Facebook groups
Also obviously New Hampshire liquor outlets
I just picked up 4 bottles on my way home from vacation there. The prices and selection are hard to beat

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I knew which one was Baker's from your notes and I haven't tried the new bottle yet. New riff sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Will have to pick up a bottle after I've cleared some space on my shelves.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

asciidic posted:

I knew which one was Baker's from your notes and I haven't tried the new bottle yet. New riff sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Will have to pick up a bottle after I've cleared some space on my shelves.

Beam bottles be nutty

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've reached peak whisky drinker, my collection is now in a storage unit and the wife has the key.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Did Laphroaig up the price on Quarter Cask? Bottle King is usually pretty good on sticking to MSRP but they had it for $80 today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I've reached peak whisky drinker, my collection is now in a storage unit...

Yeah, and?

zmcnulty posted:

...and the wife has the key.

Good lord.