Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

thatfuturekid posted:

In the Line of Duty IV on prime. It’s one of my fav HK action movies, and it’s got some amazing stunt work in it

This was really great thank you

fenix down posted:

Avengement

So was this. I actually scrolled past this one a million times but was just reflexively turned off by the title/thumbnail combo for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

How is Lovecraft Country? It looks interesting.

Also, is it connected to any specific Lovecraft mythology, or is it just general cosmic horror?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
It’s pretty good if you go in with the understanding that it is more of a pastiche of Weird Fiction magazine stories than a serious show. Each episode seems to take a trope of those stories and plays around with it in an interesting way.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Deadite posted:

It’s pretty good if you go in with the understanding that it is more of a pastiche of Weird Fiction magazine stories than a serious show. Each episode seems to take a trope of those stories and plays around with it in an interesting way.

So what is the show's tone? I thought it dealt with racism, so I expected a more serious/horrific tone, but you're making it should more pulpy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It does deal heavily with racism and has some of the most unsettling body horror imagery of the last few years. I wouldn't say it's pulpy in the modern definition of the word, just uses some tropes and setups of old pulp serials. The two most common complaints in the thread is that it's not strictly Lovecraftian horror and the soundtrack isn't diagetic or period appropriate.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've also seen people complain that it changed a lot of the source material (the novel) in ways that are kind of upsetting if you liked the book, but I had never even heard of the book I think so that wouldn't be a consideration for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Started Euphoria and am 6 episodes in; really good. The only other drama series of similar ilk I've watched and enjoyed were the first four seasons of Skins (British version) during my college years, and Shameless (US version). Euphoria feels like a better version of both of those shows combined, and the visual aesthetic of it is beautiful. poo poo is really well shot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Also, is it connected to any specific Lovecraft mythology, or is it just general cosmic horror?

Tbh I think it's terrible. I really wanted to like it because it sounded good on paper, but I think it's one of the worst shows I have watched in a while.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I watched In the Shadow of the Moon yesterday. Started off well, but then it turned out the scientist had invented a macguffin that allowed him to kill people injected with it from his computer in the future while leaving very distinct traces. Why not just send back a couple people with guns? Why didn't the assassin's weird injector attract more government attention? I realize the movie is really about Lock going crazy and all that, but the terrible framing is distracting.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

I really wanted to like it but I bowed out after about five episodes because I felt like the show couldn’t decide what it wanted to be. The tone jumps suddenly from (rather well executed) dread as the characters navigate the racial animosities of mid-century America, to goofy cgi action sequence, and then back again. Then the decision to try and fit a short story into each episode gives it a very “monster of the week” vibe that hurts it a lot in my opinion and means everything feels extremely rushed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I think it's terrible. I really wanted to like it because it sounded good on paper, but I think it's one of the worst shows I have watched in a while.
Agreed. The first episode was fantastic. But each episode since has been an absolute mess. As someone pointed out above, each episode deals with a different trope, but they don't do anything of them particularly well. The acting is fantastic, and I'm still watching, but the show really just feels like they are throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, and very little sticks.

AVClub has been giving every episode an A, and I really don't get it.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Agree with the earlier posters on Enola Holmes, hoping it gets two sequels. Biggest downside for me was the climax and the farewells after that, could've used another 15-20 minutes for a better emotional payoff.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Lovecraft Country is fantastic, I legitimately do not understand people's issues with it.

Ep 2 was the only one I wasnt crazy about but every other episode has been great.

Everyone I know loves it and the only major complaints about it I see are from here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could break it down, I wrote how I felt about it in the thread so probably just read it there, but the tldr version is that I find the storytelling really poor and the characters uninteresting. It has some ok story ideas but I don't think they ever feel well developed. It's also extremely cheesy for how self serious it is (although I might be a hypocrite on that front since I love Rasied By Wolves lol) I have struggled holding interest throughout every episode.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Lovecraft Country is fantastic, I legitimately do not understand people's issues with it.

Ep 2 was the only one I wasnt crazy about but every other episode has been great.

Everyone I know loves it and the only major complaints about it I see are from here.

User reviews on rotten tomatoes and metacritic have it at 67% and 4.4 respectively, so I'd say viewers are fairly split. Personally I really liked most of the first episode, and if it kept that pacing and sense of building dread I think I would have been pretty happy.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Yeah and reading all the user reviews are baffling as well. I just dont see the flaws people complain about. Its such a cool show and a great mash of genres. Happy to tune in every week for some pulpy horror with social commentary on race. The "dont know what it wants to be complaints" feel like projecting and people are actually saying "its not exactly what I need or want it to be". I feel like I know exactly what it wants to be and it delivers that every week so I truly dont get it.

To each their own though, I think it rules.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Lovecraft Country is like True Blood where they forced in every horror/fantasy trope over the course of 7 seasons to the point of absurdity, only Lovecraft Country has done so in just 5 episodes.

Lovecraft Country is like The X-Files where Mulder and Scully travel around the country investigating and helping people experiencing different ghosts, serial killers, UFOs, and monsters each week, only Lovecraft Country has all of that forced upon 3 characters week in, week out.

Basically, my problem with Lovecraft Country is that absolutely nothing is shocking or interesting because they try and make every thing that happens shocking or interesting to the point that none of it feels like it matters. Something crazy happens, and you're just forced to shrug and say, "oh okay."

I'll still be watching the new episode tonight.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My Octopus Teacher is very good. Nature owns and our connection with it can be extremely powerful.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I wasn’t familiar with the book, so at first I was disappointed that Lovecraft Country didn’t have much to do with Lovecraft’s stories. But as the show went on I liked how it’s basically a new version of Tales From The Crypt but with a bigger effects budget and a nominal story that connects the episodes.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Deadite posted:

a new version of Tales From The Crypt but with a bigger effects budget and a nominal story that connects the episodes.

You have my attention! My sister got me the complete Tales from the Crypt on dvd for Christmas and there are so many great episodes there. It's a real shame that the episodes aren't up on any streaming service.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IIRC Tales from the Crypt is a rights nightmare now. Something about the current EC Comics owner having the naming rights but not the rights to the 90’s show itself. It’s part of what killed the Shyamalan-led TNT revival that was announced a few years ago but never got past preproduction.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I have the entire series on DVD so I felt fairly justified in :filez: ing it a while back.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I liked I'm Thinking of Ending Things a lot. I've never read the book, but I thought the movie made it pretty obvious what was really happening the longer it went on. It was enjoyable in a really bleak and unsettling sort of way.

But the main thing I wanted to say was that Toni Collette rocked it. She's loving great in this. Her performance is so weird and off-putting and funny. David Thewlis too, I had a good laugh when he's talking about how he can't feel sad about a painting unless there's a sad person in the painting to let him know that he should feel sad about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should revive it and just call it "Stories from the Gaveyard" or something.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why is Ted Lasso so good?? What the gently caress?? It's so goddamn confusing.

Just got done with the first episode. Seems real good.

Also I had no idea Juno Temple was English? I've only ever seen her using an American accent.

Edit: Reminds me of a much much less mean-spirited version Todd Margaret.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 28, 2020

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I liked Teenage Bounty Hunters probably because I think I just like shows with young characters that are smart in a realistic way but still do stupid poo poo? Like Sex Education. This show is sillier though, obviously. It's "meta" enough to be fun for me, but not obnoxiously Ryan Murphy cheeky. If that makes sense. The backdrop is conservative Christianity and it's used as a playful prop but not obnoxiously so.

Nihonniboku posted:

Basically, my problem with Lovecraft Country is that absolutely nothing is shocking or interesting because they try and make every thing that happens shocking or interesting to the point that none of it feels like it matters. Something crazy happens, and you're just forced to shrug and say, "oh okay."

I'll still be watching the new episode tonight.

This individual gets it. No stakes when there are no rules. To me it's what the word "pulpy" sorta means.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit: Reminds me of a much much less mean-spirited version Todd Margaret.

God I hope it ends the same way

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was waiting to see how the opinion of Lovecraft Country shook out, but after this discussion it sounds like it's way up my alley. I'm reading it that people were expecting an Important Prestige Show going in, but were given a bunch of fun pulpy schlock with lots of monsters instead. Which is great news for me, because I love me some fun pulpy shlock with monsters. I think my expectations are set at the right level where it's just going to be a nice low-stakes romp.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

feedmyleg posted:

I was waiting to see how the opinion of Lovecraft Country shook out, but after this discussion it sounds like it's way up my alley. I'm reading it that people were expecting an Important Prestige Show going in, but were given a bunch of fun pulpy schlock with lots of monsters instead. Which is great news for me, because I love me some fun pulpy shlock with monsters. I think my expectations are set at the right level where it's just going to be a nice low-stakes romp.

I went in expecting an Important Prestige Show and the first episode re-enforced that. The second episode quickly laid that expectation to rest and I didn't care for it. With my readjusted expectations I have very much enjoyed all the subsequent episodes. It scratches the same itch True Blood did. It's big stupid violent fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

Watched Enola Holmes earlier. Nothing particularly spectacular about it, but it wasn't bad. I liked it. I haven't read the books or graphic novels, but I've gotten a few of them for my goddaughter and she enjoyed the film a lot. Cavill doesn't really do much as Sherlock, but the movie isn't about him anyways (he looks great in the role though lol). Millie Bobby Brown was pretty good as the lead and really does carry the film. I wouldn't mind a sequel or two.

I was perplexed by the decision to have all the enlightened women in the film in on a domestic terrorism plot. Like, they could have been involved in a banned book smuggling operation or something, but they seem to have wanted something more cinematic, that could produce some action set pieces with explosions. But it really erodes sympathy for Enola's mother and her group of jujitsu-trained feminists that if the vote didn't go the way they wanted they were planning on mass death.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Certainly watch a couple episodes and decide for yourself, but it doesn't really at any point wink at the audience and acknowledge that we're all just having fun the way most pulp does. It uses the same deadly-serious tone for a lynch mob attacking black characters and a CGI monster attack. The result is a series of Temple of Doom style-romps but with the gravitas of a movie designed to win an Academy Award.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I honestly dipped out of the book like 15 pages in a few years back. To each their own, but it just got so stupidly written so quickly and i got a similar dissonance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

You should watch it yourself to see what you think, but it's prestige show ambitions are the main thing that ruin it for me. Most of the pulpy schlock side stories feel broadsided and bogged down by an extremely stupid main plot that hangs over almost everything. Although, last weeks ( I haven't watched the newest one yet) episode was unencumbered by the main plot and I thought it was the second worst episode to date, so I dunno.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should revive it and just call it "Stories from the Gaveyard" or something.

It can be hosted by The Mausoleum Attendant.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ccs posted:

I was perplexed by the decision to have all the enlightened women in the film in on a domestic terrorism plot. Like, they could have been involved in a banned book smuggling operation or something, but they seem to have wanted something more cinematic, that could produce some action set pieces with explosions. But it really erodes sympathy for Enola's mother and her group of jujitsu-trained feminists that if the vote didn't go the way they wanted they were planning on mass death.

I'm perplexed by the decision to not put any of this behind a tag.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ccs posted:

The suffragettes and the brutal repression they faced have been hella white washed by the media so it ruled to have them depicted as the desperate revolutionaries they were.

I also really dug how it turned what coulda been a paint by numbers strong independent woman character into someone much more complicated. Gave the ending some omph.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
True Blood is great but it wasn't great just because of the tone, it was great because Alan Ball had a pretty specific vision as a showrunner (one that spat in the eye of the source material, among other things) and as soon as he left it turned to poo poo.

like "an immortal, parasitic Southern aristocrat compares himself to Sherman to express a moment of moral self-doubt" is one of the funniest narrative punchlines i've ever seen, but there's way more going on there than "oh it's a fun dumb show with a lot of sex and gore"

if Lovecraft Country can deliver on that i'm interested, but I would like to hear someone actually promote it on those grounds

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also winking at the audience isn't a good thing

if your themes suck it's hypocrisy and if they're good it's cowardice

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

True Blood is great but it wasn't great just because of the tone, it was great because Alan Ball had a pretty specific vision as a showrunner (one that spat in the eye of the source material, among other things) and as soon as he left it turned to poo poo.

The last season of True Blood was awful. Meandering and way too self serious, it was like the finale for a completely different show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
True Blood overall wasn’t great, it was more great at certain times, good at others, and awful a lot. What a mess.