Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I watched the Stump Sohla episode yesterday, and it was...all right. Sohla's charm and skill are on full display, but I'm not entirely sold on the marriage of her tongue-in-cheek nerdy over-seriousness with Babish's slightly forced somewhat cringey self-deprecating persona. This was a first go so I have no doubt it'll get better but it was a little hard to watch, especially when they were interacting.

Yay Sohla though!! She deserves every bit of success she gets, and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

The Midniter posted:

I watched the Stump Sohla episode yesterday, and it was...all right. Sohla's charm and skill are on full display, but I'm not entirely sold on the marriage of her tongue-in-cheek nerdy over-seriousness with Babish's slightly forced somewhat cringey self-deprecating persona. This was a first go so I have no doubt it'll get better but it was a little hard to watch, especially when they were interacting.

Yay Sohla though!! She deserves every bit of success she gets, and then some.

She needs her own sub-show like George Motz's burger scholar thing on the 'and now we feast' channel, or show or whatever it is on youtube.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think it could stand to be less polished/produced and it seems like they're overthinking it, but again that's Babish.txt .

BA was at it's best when they just pointed a camera at the people and let them cook, and let their personality come out naturally. As soon as they started to get more high-concept with it, like Molly's show, it started to suffer.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
OTOH, I think a big risk with all the BA folks is to just try to do BA elsewhere. A big part of it was the whole "cast dropping in on each other" thing and it more directly invites comparisons that are going to be tough to live up to.

This had sort of a Gourmet makes thing without the exasperation, which was fine for me. Molly's show kinda sucked, but the other high concept stuff was OK (Gourmet makes, that Chris blindfolded thing, Carla's back to back thing was usually entertaining enough, their whole team "make the best version of something" series was one of the best things they've done).

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 25, 2020

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Thought the episode was great - give them a few to get into a rhythm with their videos. Its a new foray, and it'll take time to settle in.
I'm 100% down for anything with more Sohla, and Babish is in a good spot to work with her.

So stoked for the future. They just need to grab the Bradster and I think I'll be happy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Siochain posted:

Thought the episode was great - give them a few to get into a rhythm with their videos. Its a new foray, and it'll take time to settle in.
I'm 100% down for anything with more Sohla, and Babish is in a good spot to work with her.

So stoked for the future. They just need to grab the Bradster and I think I'll be happy.

I feel like Brad might end up in the Kenji world with their current collaboration

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

enki42 posted:

I seriously just said bagel to myself 5 or 6 times to figure out if it sounded weird. Americans don't say bag-ul?

thats how they say it in philly/jersey

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yay Sohla

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has this work of art been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zra_fMjxzw

Rare youtube video with pro-click comments.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, so this is what ASMR is

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
well, that and amiel "mouth sounds"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The show reads to me that she can just walk in and do it, which is good considering she has a different full time job. I bet if it’s successful you see more of her in a more technical series if she quits BA.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Another Stump Sohla! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDZV-jGJ6w. Makin' a seven course tasting menu with foods from NY bodega.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
New Stump Sohla is really fun. Everyone ITT who was doubting this new series should be really happy with it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I would also pay too much for that and leave drunk and hungry and then go get in n out after eating the whole thing

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

Another Stump Sohla! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDZV-jGJ6w. Makin' a seven course tasting menu with foods from NY bodega.

This loving rocks. Any one of the 900 things she made in this episode could've been their own video. I really want to try that nitrous oxide pickle thing.

The Glumslinger posted:

I would also pay too much for that and leave drunk and hungry and then go get in n out after eating the whole thing

Yeah this is every single tasting menu I've ever had. Even if the food is mindblowing, you're still going for dim sum or Taco Bell after.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 26, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I know I'm in the minority for not liking Babish but I hope he's not as present in other episodes. I don't even know what I don't like and I'm sure he's a great person but something grates on me like no other.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Are we ever gonna be able to talk about BWB in this thread without you being like "hmm, I don't like this guy but I can't explain why" every time?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

prayer group posted:

Are we ever gonna be able to talk about BWB in this thread without you being like "hmm, I don't like this guy but I can't explain why" every time?

No, stop liking things that I don't like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1u5ZkIxCk

One thing I do like is how Kenji poo poo talks Gordon Ramsey for like 10 minutes in this video

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 26, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

xtal posted:

I know I'm in the minority for not liking Babish but I hope he's not as present in other episodes. I don't even know what I don't like and I'm sure he's a great person but something grates on me like no other.

Probably how he called himself a chef in this video.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

droll posted:

“I’m in no position to judge this by the way, you’re so much more of an accomplished chef than I am. I shouldn’t be here giving feedback like I am.”

I guess?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

droll posted:

He cooks for a living chill out

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think Babish seems like a nice guy who is very excellent at making videos, and not very good at being in videos or cooking. His channel exploded in popularity because he was barely in any of the videos except as hands and a disembodied voice saying stuff you could basically ignore and cooking food that wasn't supposed to taste good.

I've never even been slightly tempted to click on the videos where apparently he goes around making people happy because he's drunk on his own popularity and like others I hope he stays out of Sohla's videos as much as possible. He needs to internalize the fact that what made him famous was gorgeous videos where we never even saw his face and which made no pretense about his having any skill at all. He's not a personality I can't get enough of. He's an intrusion I can't get away from fast enough.

Love his videography and editing sensibility and I wish he'd just lean into that and be a behind the camera guy instead of going even harder on the whole cult of personality bullshit by naming the channel the "Babish Cinematic Universe." It's like if Bon Apetit's videos were all framed as "Rapaport's Minions" and Rapaport introduced every video with an awkward conversation with the host in which he gave them their assignment. Nobody wants that poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I find it so weird that anyone can even have an opinion of Babish. He's flatbread, a delivery system for other interesting things and just 'there' for me. Given that the concept for Sohla's show (and I'd say Sohla in general) benefits greatly from having someone for her to bounce her ideas off, Babish is about as neutral a medium for it as I can imagine. He's basically a slightly-too-polished version of Delaney to me.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

I find it so weird that anyone can even have an opinion of Babish. He's flatbread, a delivery system for other interesting things and just 'there' for me. Given that the concept for Sohla's show (and I'd say Sohla in general) benefits greatly from having someone for her to bounce her ideas off, Babish is about as neutral a medium for it as I can imagine. He's basically a slightly-too-polished version of Delaney to me.

I was going to use those exact words, he is like Delaney concentrate.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seems like he's doing a fine job in the new sohla video

saying 'chef' is kinda annoying but i think there's been a pretty big change in usage from the strict old definition and we can't expect everyone to really know that there's a distinction

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think Babish seems like a nice guy who is very excellent at making videos, and not very good at being in videos or cooking. His channel exploded in popularity because he was barely in any of the videos except as hands and a disembodied voice saying stuff you could basically ignore and cooking food that wasn't supposed to taste good.

I've never even been slightly tempted to click on the videos where apparently he goes around making people happy because he's drunk on his own popularity and like others I hope he stays out of Sohla's videos as much as possible. He needs to internalize the fact that what made him famous was gorgeous videos where we never even saw his face and which made no pretense about his having any skill at all. He's not a personality I can't get enough of. He's an intrusion I can't get away from fast enough.

Love his videography and editing sensibility and I wish he'd just lean into that and be a behind the camera guy instead of going even harder on the whole cult of personality bullshit by naming the channel the "Babish Cinematic Universe." It's like if Bon Apetit's videos were all framed as "Rapaport's Minions" and Rapaport introduced every video with an awkward conversation with the host in which he gave them their assignment. Nobody wants that poo poo.

His Julia Child recipes looked legit

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Veskit posted:

He cooks for a living chill out

Calm down all I did was mention a reason why another poster may have been irked. No need to get so aggressive.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Watch out, the Babish Stans itt don't like this kind of angry, borderline psychotic posting about their god.

droll fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 27, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mu Zeta posted:

His Julia Child recipes looked legit

yeah no one has ever re-made Julia Child recipes and then gotten a big head about it thinking people might want to hear about other things in their lives, thus leading them to make an embarrassing vanity project that everyone makes fun of

actually I think all the Babish stuff is fine and like the guy I just think the story of the Julie and Julia lady thinking everyone wanted to hear about her affairs is hilarious

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I loved exactly half of the Julie and Julia movie. Who the hell asked to put the boring blogging parts into the movie?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I agree with most of what TychoCelchuu said about the Babish guy being annoying, but that said I thought the BCU thing was a pretty harmless joke about the MCU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I loved exactly half of the Julie and Julia movie. Who the hell asked to put the boring blogging parts into the movie?
Probably Julie.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I am not the biggest fan of Andrew Rea and I feel like when he's doing stuff that feels scripted he's very stilted-- the intro to the first video, the wheel stuff-- but I would hazard that that's just stage fright, when he's just talking from the top of his head or in conversation he's fine, and in these two videos his presence is pretty minimal within the actual cooking parts. I think it's fine, he has a fun enough chemistry with Sohla, and it's good to see her cooking cool and weird stuff again.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I feel like that baller dehydrator and the Twinkie were quiet flexes on ba

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Veskit posted:

I feel like that baller dehydrator and the Twinkie were quiet flexes on ba

Not to mention the entire chocolate video

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So Andrew Rea is bad at being on camera doing scripted dialogue. This may be because he's never had to do that before. I'm sure that he'll get better at it with practice, just like he did with cinematography and cooking. What's there to complain about? He's a humble guy with a decent sense of humor who makes entertaining, engaging videos about cooking. He's... not a professional chef, I guess? I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly so many of y'all find repulsive about him. I guess he wasn't the best part of the new Stump Sohla video, but you only had to suffer through his presence for like a handful of minutes out of that half-hour video.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is just wildly off-base. Rea started the channel by producing everything himself, I think he earned putting his name on it. It's not even his name either, it's a Frasier reference or something.

droll posted:

Watch out, the Babish Stans itt don't like this kind of angry, borderline psychotic posting about their god.

I straight up have no idea who you're talking about here.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Calm down its just videos about food

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sohla's paratha rolling technique in the latest video (after adding the fat and rolling it, coil it from both ends rather than just one, and stack the two coils on top of each other by twisting) blew my mind. That's such a good idea and it never occurred to me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

droll posted:

Calm down its just videos about food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You guys won't shut the gently caress up about the white man that is barely in Sohla's videos and I can't stop guffawing at how ironic this horseshit is.

You need to not shut up about that frozen twinkie. I wanna taste it so much.

Also: aren't soaked and blitzed potato chips just going to have the same flavor and texture of potato flakes? I feel like Sohla reinvented a wheel that's already been rejected.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 27, 2020