Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

sinky posted:

You can rely on Cover to choose exactly the worst course of action.

Well.... yeah. :smith:

I still think it's incredible that a company that is so self-evidently great at scouting and getting talent, can be so inept at handling and protecting that talent from, honestly, pretty basic and self-evident pitfalls and issues of being a popular internet entertainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

China is cringe.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

China is cringe.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Blockhouse posted:

Please look forward to superchats trying to get other girls to say "Taiwan" and get them suspended too until everyone forgets about this in a month or two
I don't know if the JP Hololive streamers already do it but the rest of EN at least need to screen their superchats before they read them like Cali does because people are absolutely going to do this.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is this going to set a precedent where Chinese antis complain loud enough to get Cover to take action over the most minor of grievances? I sincerely hope not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

Is this going to set a precedent where Chinese antis complain loud enough to get Cover to take action over the most minor of grievances? I sincerely hope not.
well theyve already set this precedent for all people not just chinese

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I complain enough about not getting the AkiRose Meme Review, will I get that?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jimmydalad posted:

Cover has repeatedly set multiple precedents where when their talent is harassed in any way they will immediately bodily throw the talent under the bus and slap them with huge penalties to mitigate any potential financial damage. Mio got suspended for a month because she got copyright struck by Capcom, something that is 100% entirely Cover's fault because as her production company, vetting what their streamers can legally stream should be one of their loving jobs.

When one of their vtubers inevitably has a second's lapse and reads some dickhead's troll red superchat name that mentions Tianenmen or Taiwan or Hong Kong or something, after this I am 100% confident that that vtuber will be going on an extended vacation after being publicly castigated by their employer.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I don't know if the JP Hololive streamers already do it but the rest of EN at least need to screen their superchats before they read them like Cali does because people are absolutely going to do this.
Hopefully someone doesn't make Cali say the phrase "tie one on" about drinking.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I wonder how the JP fans are taking this news. There is no love of the Chinese government over there. It's crazy how just in a couple years, Japan is kowtowing to China.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If I was Coco I'd definitely be looking to leave Hololive at this point, just out of principal. She could easily transition to another vtuber organization.

She's done so much for Hololive it's ridiculous they would even consider penalizing her as a concession to the Chinese for doing literally nothing wrong. And not even having the balls to say why? It's absurd.

The hololive people should really unionize if that's even a thing in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

about as much of one as they are in the us

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I mean if I actually thought this would have a chance of doing anything, I'd probably just accept it and begrudgingly move on. If it actually got the majority of harassment against Coco/Haachama to stop and meant the HoloCN girls didn't get caught in the crossfire, it would probably be making the best out of a bad and unfair situation.

So, what are they gonna do when the 3 weeks are up and the same people continue spamming youtube, twitter and other social media with harassment (who are just as much to blame as cover in a general sense, not doing any kind of job actually controlling their platforms) and still calling for Coco to be fired? Seems to me this suspension is bad not because it's unfair or kowtowing or whatever, but rather because it will literally have no positive effect.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised and proven wrong in 3 weeks time.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/hololive_En/status/1310226779739623427

https://cover-corp.com/2020/09/27/200927-1/

Official Hololive EN release about the situation.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Welp, Cover went and did what they have been doing all year long. Their decisions continue to harm their talents and at this point I wonder how many of them still trust Cover to do what's best for them. Mel, Fubuki, Mio, Aloe, Coco, and Haato have all been handled ham-fistedly in some way and at this point I don't think they intend to handle PR or harassment problems welk. I feel bad for Akai Haato since now she's even more isolated in Australia.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This seems so loving rear end-backwards, it ain't even funny.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All companies seem to be taken in by the sirens call of the 1.4 billion person Chinese market.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

China is cringe.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Part of me is surprised anyone thought an EN release of this was in any way a good idea just because a cursory reading of the room would indicate that the general EN opinion on their handling of this is :jerkbag: growing larger.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As bad as Cover's handling of harassment has been, even if they were a "better" company they still would have done this exact same thing. No corporation is going to put morals before profit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Wark Say posted:

This seems so loving rear end-backwards, it ain't even funny.

It's entirely unsurprising. Pretty much every single company with significant financial interests in China will immediately go belly down and surrender whenever anything threatens their standing with the Chinese government for fear of losing access to the market there. Blizzard Entertainment had a huge scandal this year where a player in one of their Hearthstone tournaments(i.e. not even an employee) said "Free Hong Kong" on a post-tournament interview stream and it led to a huge blowup where they took away the player's prize money and banned him from tournaments and released multiple public statements apologizing to the Chinese government.

Cover's basically just slapping a heavy penalty on Coco and Haato as appeasement while ducking their heads and hoping the problem blows over so they don't have to make some very uncomfortable and potentially super expensive decisions.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Blockhouse posted:

As bad as Cover's handling of harassment has been, even if they were a "better" company they still would have done this exact same thing. No corporation is going to put morals before profit.

They're not even doing that. They're putting their existing, profitable talent below possible future profits from the Chinese market. They could tell the Chinese market to gently caress off right now and it wouldn't hurt their bottom line much.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress the Chinese government. I feel bad for Taiwan and the Chinese people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

They're not even doing that. They're putting their existing, profitable talent below possible future profits from the Chinese market. They could tell the Chinese market to gently caress off right now and it wouldn't hurt their bottom line much.

You are seriously, seriously underestimating the amount of subs the existing talent have on bilibili. Fubuki has over a million there. There's also the entire HoloCN branch who would be hosed over massively to think about, none of whom did anything wrong besides "live and work in China".

This is an incredibly thorny issue to deal with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SpartanIvy posted:

The hololive people should really unionize if that's even a thing in Japan.

ahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Someone on the reddit discovered the words "Kiryu Coco" are censored in the new gacha game Genshin Impact, if you need an idea of how fast Chinese censorship works.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Kanos posted:

You are seriously, seriously underestimating the amount of subs the existing talent have on bilibili. Fubuki has over a million there. There's also the entire HoloCN branch who would be hosed over massively to think about, none of whom did anything wrong besides "live and work in China".

This is an incredibly thorny issue to deal with.

It should also be noted that anyone streaming on bilibili is obligated to reveal and confirm their real life identity to the site (and, thus, the CCP), so that puts the HoloCN talents in an extra-precarious position.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Kanos posted:

Someone on the reddit discovered the words "Kiryu Coco" are censored in the new gacha game Genshin Impact, if you need an idea of how fast Chinese censorship works.

as long as they leave bagpipe alone in arknights im happy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kanos posted:

Brunom1 posted:

It should also be noted that anyone streaming on bilibili is obligated to reveal and confirm their real life identity to the site (and, thus, the CCP), so that puts the HoloCN talents in an extra-precarious position.

:chloe: jesus

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I'm hearing that on Bilibili, their statement mentions that shows support for the One China Policy. This whole situation is poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I don't know if I want my money or support to go to Cover Corp now.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

Blizzard Entertainment had a huge scandal this year where a player in one of their Hearthstone tournaments(i.e. not even an employee) said "Free Hong Kong" on a post-tournament interview stream and it led to a huge blowup where they took away the player's prize money and banned him from tournaments and released multiple public statements apologizing to the Chinese government.

Wait, wait, wait, that happened in 2020? Jesus, this has been a long year. :psyduck:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, wait, wait, that happened in 2020? Jesus, this has been a long year. :psyduck:

It happened in 2020???????????????? I thought that was 2018???????????? Or 2017??????????????

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was last year.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

jimmydalad posted:

I'm hearing that on Bilibili, their statement mentions that shows support for the One China Policy. This whole situation is poo poo.

thats what corporations that apologize about taiwan or hong kong do, they leave that out of the non chinese statements

most likely it was a statement by holoCN or a joint statement unlike the japanese and english ones

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hey, there are still 3 months left.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

It happened in late 2019 and the fallout continued into 2020, yeah.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A random someone I'm following on Twitter retweeted this independent VTuber that hasn't quite debuted yet, but I'm very interested.

https://twitter.com/ArtemisVtuber/status/1308435894848774145?s=19
https://twitter.com/ArtemisVtuber/status/1309197065746919424?s=19
https://twitter.com/ArtemisVtuber/status/1309912176434409472?s=09

And, uh, this one...
https://twitter.com/ArtemisVtuber/status/1309605704337031170?s=19

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
if you weren't around for it, a while back mainlanders started tweeting photos of dead rabbits at pekora for the sin of linking a niconico video that had been taken from bilibili. miko cancelled her stream one day and went over to peko's place to console her. and that was AFTER issuing an apology (that wasn't "good enough").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Basically from what I can tell this is a lose-lose situation. I’m an idiot and want to give the benefit of the doubt that the suspension is to hope people forget about this, but I should know better. I just want to watch anime girls play video games. :(