Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think the amazing thing about the reconstituted potato chips was that she was able to eliminate enough of the oil from deep-fried potatoes to not make them a greasy mess when turned into a puree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really don't like babish's pasty white bald head. But other than that, this new episode was pretty great.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sohla's paratha rolling technique in the latest video (after adding the fat and rolling it, coil it from both ends rather than just one, and stack the two coils on top of each other by twisting) blew my mind. That's such a good idea and it never occurred to me.

She has a whole how to on those. Her mom came up with the technique iirc.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/07/paratha-flaky-south-asian-flatbread.html

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i tried this exact recipe a couple months ago and it's so good -- if anyone makes it you should go ahead and double it, because it freezes so well and you'll regret not having more

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sohla's paratha rolling technique in the latest video (after adding the fat and rolling it, coil it from both ends rather than just one, and stack the two coils on top of each other by twisting) blew my mind. That's such a good idea and it never occurred to me.

I might get some vegetarian ramen today and try to just straight up make the paratha.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Veskit posted:

She has a whole how to on those. Her mom came up with the technique iirc.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/07/paratha-flaky-south-asian-flatbread.html
She doesn't say there that her mother came up with the technique, but whether it was her, her mother, or anyone else, they're a genius!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Townsends and Tasting History did a crossover Q&A stream. My mind is blown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNfsHqmYKw

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I loved Sohla’s aside about she and her husband spent $600 on a tasting menu on their honeymoon and she came out of it drunk and hangry and went straight to in and out after.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

And the chef who produced that tasting menu? That's right, Adam Rapaport.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Second course: "I am going to bring my guitar over and play it badly at you."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dessert: Taye Diggs dark chocolate cake layered with a Rihanna hazelnut mousse. Served with a young MJ coffee, cream on the side if you prefer older MJ.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

I loved Sohla’s aside about she and her husband spent $600 on a tasting menu on their honeymoon and she came out of it drunk and hangry and went straight to in and out after.

That was also my experience at The French Laundry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wine pairings have to be the most profit restaurants make.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wine in general is a huge revenue driver for restaurants. Bourdain wrote about it quite a bit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

That was also my experience at The French Laundry.

How was it otherwise, would you go back?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Stringent posted:

How was it otherwise, would you go back?

Probably not. It was a super cool and great and delicious experience, but $375ish (?) per person plus wine pairings is a lot of money that can be spent elsewhere on cool and great and delicious things.

If you like that kind of tasting menu situation and have the money for it, I def recommend going once. It's a fun and decadent dinner, but they don't really switch things up enough imo to warrant a second visit.

OTOH, pre-redo, Achatz's Next restaurant changed things up enough that I would have gone there a second time if I had the cash to blow.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bourdain always talked of being a full to bursting farty mess after big tasting menus, oddly enough. He got more than a little detailed about it in Medium Raw. Just in case you were curious about the late, great man's post-prandial bowel situation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That happens to anyone if you ingest caviar, foie, and wine for 3 hours.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

exquisite tea posted:

Townsends and Tasting History did a crossover Q&A stream. My mind is blown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNfsHqmYKw

hell yeah i watched literally every tasting history video in one day after being linked to one the other day, and i like the goofy enthusiasm of the townsends guy

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I love George Motz and his burger show, the guy is just so not made to be in front of a camera so he barely even tries. In his most recent he told ketchup to “gently caress off” and admitted that he tried the burger he made in that video the previous day and then “passed the gently caress out.” Motz is truly a burger guy for the people.

Also I learned that the middle bun or bread in a sandwich is called the “club” and now shits really coming together for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He made a documentary called Hamburger America and it's so laid back and quiet you'd never think the guy had all this energy. It's pretty well made too. just as much a love letter to rural America as hamburgers.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

He made a documentary called Hamburger America and it's so laid back and quiet you'd never think the guy had all this energy. It's pretty well made too. just as much a love letter to rural America as hamburgers.

I need to check this out, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Chef show on Netflix is excellent background content to throw in while cooking. Jon Favreau plays a lot of rear end in a top hat roles in movies but he’s a great host and you can tell he has a ton of respect for Roy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know when it dropped but the new season of Taco Chronicles is amazing. Ive grown up eating goat my whole life from Indian food but never knew about birria, now I have to find it.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Claire Saffitz is officially out at BA.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I had a feeling Claire was a little bit one foot out the door even before the test kitchen exploded so this is not a surprise.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I'm pretty sure she's been on a year-to-year contract for a while now, the only reason she stayed with BA is because they threw piles of money at her to keep doing GM/BATK videos.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of like that the Babish channel is now called Babish Culinary Universe since it sounds like he'll be hiring more people. Get Priya and Andy on board and it's like the Brown Avengers of cooking.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mu Zeta posted:

Get Priya and Andy on board and it's like the Brown Avengers of cooking.

Uhhh no Andy can’t join Rick can though

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Rick's instagram story is a special kind of torture. He constantly reposts photos of people making his chili colorado and brown butter toffee cookies.

Nee to get my rear end across town where I can get the correct chiles for that colorado...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

piratepilates posted:

I love the Food Wishes guy. The way he talks is insane and unlike anything else, I can't get enough.

He sounds like my bosses boss at work but cranked to 11. I love it. He’s got a very “this is great stuff, I like sharing it with you, but I give absolutely no fucks if you try it or not” vibe to his videos that only makes me want to make his recipes more.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Another awesome thing about Chef John is that when he makes a recipe, the guy commits. The thumbnail may look awesome, but in the first minute of the video he might say something like "I made this recipe and it's actually really terrible!" then proceeds to show you how to make the same terrible food. Very endearing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I love to put it on 75% playback speed and Chef John becomes the highest mother loving cook out there.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yep, Chef John is loving awesome. I love how he leaves his screw-ups/mistakes in.
We've made a lot of his dishes, and they've all been awesome.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I honestly couldn’t make it through even one of his videos because of his cadence, food looked nice though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tweak posted:

I honestly couldn’t make it through even one of his videos because of his cadence, food looked nice though.

Yeah I just opened one of his videos and was like "oh its that guy *deletes*"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I used to be like you guys but now I'm a convert and binge his videos

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

henkman posted:

Hello everybody, this is Chef John from foodwishes.com wiiith

eating aaaass

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

toplitzin posted:

I love to put it on 75% playback speed and Chef John becomes the highest mother loving cook out there.

This is a pro fuckin' move, btw.:2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

back in the world of things airing on actual television channels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGv_atSHVb4

I sort of stumbled on this by accident as it was re-airing but it's a lot of fun, they really let Alton do all sorts of fun spooks and scares for this. Moments like this remind you that he was in film before he was in food