Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I said come in! posted:

This is going to cause a massive constitutional crisis. I can't even begin to guess what is going to happen in the aftermath of this decision. I suspect it will be extremely bad.

There's a line in Shogun where the main character is being questioned by one of the would-be rulers of Japan and the latter asks if it would be illegal to go against his overlord and the response is "not if you win." This is the Trump administration view of everything. Do everything to stay in power and justify it later. Or ignore the whole thing and move on. Like, the Secretary of State, an administration official on government business in another country, spoke at a political convention. It's a straight on violation of the Hatch Act and twitter Liberals for some reason thought that would result in some form of punishment, but no, the DOJ is Trump's personal law firm so it won't matter.

God, we have tape of Trump saying COVID would be a killer disease at the same time he was telling the public it would just disappear and even I thought that would do something, but no; it stopped mattering within a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers...ingawful.com%2F

:pray:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

There's a line in Shogun where the main character is being questioned by one of the would-be rulers of Japan and the latter asks if it would be illegal to go against his overlord and the response is "not if you win." This is the Trump administration view of everything. Do everything to stay in power and justify it later. Or ignore the whole thing and move on. Like, the Secretary of State, an administration official on government business in another country, spoke at a political convention. It's a straight on violation of the Hatch Act and twitter Liberals for some reason thought that would result in some form of punishment, but no, the DOJ is Trump's personal law firm so it won't matter.

God, we have tape of Trump saying COVID would be a killer disease at the same time he was telling the public it would just disappear and even I thought that would do something, but no; it stopped mattering within a day.

What would it take for the military to step in and stop Trump? What if Trump asked the military to do something that is clearly morally wrong? My understanding is that the pentagon hates Trump and does not trust his decision making in the least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I said come in! posted:

What would it take for the military to step in and stop Trump? What if Trump asked the military to do something that is clearly morally wrong? My understanding is that the pentagon hates Trump and does not trust his decision making in the least.

The Pentagon is probably going to do nothing forever because it knows that the US Military is the strongest institution in the entire world by a significant margin and that doesn't look good. Also, and this is the actual reason, forcibly unseating a republican is basically always the morally correct thing to do but it would probably mean the military gets less funding from republicans, so.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Part of Trump's "plan" to retain power in case of a loss is to call the military out using the insurrection act against demonstrations. The military does not want to do this, they have been very clear that they don't want to do this. What they'd do? I donno. The military expressly ignoring the commands of the commander in chief isn't exactly something they want to do, either. Everyone who could carry out that order could resign, or force Trump to fire them, and if enough of the chain of command does that it'd be hard to actually get anything done in the time frame necessary.

But like I said, Trump's idea of how to keep being the president if he loses would be an outright coup. Stop counting votes, install electors that will vote differently than the state's actual vote, call out the military to put down dissent. This is not subtle, and would signal the death of the united states as a legitimate democracy. This would change the entire world order, which the people in charge like, quite frankly. I don't see how the massive amount of people who would have to go along with this would do so, and all it takes is a few going "what the gently caress? That's crazy" and it all falls apart.

Like, imagine Hillary having this plan. Using the democratic legislatures of a few swing states to force faithless electors, the Obama administration stepping in to stop vote counts via lawsuits, and Obama calling out the military to suppress dissent. It's a ludicrous plan, and one that could only be concieved of by desperate, diseased minds. That it seems to be being considered, and that Trump seems to be trying to gird his base to expect it, is terrifying. But it doesn't make it any less far fetched.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I said come in! posted:

Stop in what way? In theory the oath all federal officers and military personnel take that swears allegiance to the Constitution rather than a political entity would cause them to do what is appropriate according to the constitution. We'll see how that goes on Election Day and beyond. I actually think the declaration of a Portland, Seattle and NYC as anarchist zones is meant to build justification for discounting ballots from some areas to try to tilt the election. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but this administration has shown there is just no limit to the poo poo they'll do.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Military leadership won't pass down an illegal order from the President. Individual soldiers on the ground taking cues from Trump's rhetoric and doing poo poo like shooting protesters is another story.

Ultimately, the military won't intervene to depose Trump unless he straight up seizes power without using any of the "legal" paths available to him. As long as he's using the tools provided in the Constitution, they won't do a drat thing.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54313110
Texan brains being eaten by microbes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

jokes posted:

The Pentagon is probably going to do nothing forever because it knows that the US Military is the strongest institution in the entire world by a significant margin and that doesn't look good. Also, and this is the actual reason, forcibly unseating a republican is basically always the morally correct thing to do but it would probably mean the military gets less funding from republicans, so.
when has a democrat ever cut military funding

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nooneofconsequence posted:

when has a democrat ever cut military funding

Obama did. No, seriously, his 2012 budget was under his 2008. Clinton's bounced a bit but he did cut at one point. Obama's last few years saw the budget go way the back up because the Columbia class subs and the net gen stealth bomber both got their first funding rounds (officially) in 2015.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
so trump bad, democarts bad... i have my ballot here and im so conflicted

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Fallows posted:

Eat the ballot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
gently caress the ballot.

Actually gently caress yourself with the ballot. It's going to happen whether you like it or not

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
vote, like a normal and sane person

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Outrail posted:

Actually gently caress yourself with the ballot.

and THEN mail it in.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Fallows posted:

vote for the dem so you can be slightly more upset in November when the supreme court ignores the votes entire lmao

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Fair and true. I just like to point this out because I keep seeing people else where on the internet insist that Biden/Harris are some bastion of progressive policies, when in reality Harris successfully passed voting record in Congress so far has been 100% siding with Trump.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding this but if I’m not, this is a meaningless statement. Trump is the president, he has veto power, literally all passing legislation is what his side wants, so this would be true for every congress person.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Which fascist regime from history are we most likely to resemble under Trump? I want to know the correct way to pretend to behave in order to not be murdered by the police.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

TheAardvark posted:

vote for the dem so you can be slightly more upset in November when the supreme court ignores the votes entire lmao

that cant happen it would be illegal!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I said come in! posted:

Which fascist regime from history are we most likely to resemble under Trump? I want to know the correct way to pretend to behave in order to not be murdered by the police.

Mussolini?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

I said come in! posted:

Ceausescu?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Fair and true. I just like to point this out because I keep seeing people else where on the internet insist that Biden/Harris are some bastion of progressive policies, when in reality Harris successfully passed voting record in Congress so far has been 100% siding with Trump.

You realize the senate is controlled by republicans, right? Like this is probably just as true for Bernie over the last four years.

And it's not true anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Power Khan posted:

Is that fecal matter filed in the presidential library?

Someone already said Regan is buried at his library iirc

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I said come in! posted:

Jim Jones

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GolfHole posted:

still waiting for any deplorable to make america great/better

A lot of them are dying to Covid.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

holy poo poo, the lols we're in for in just two days

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
My favorite part with corrupt governance is when all the people who actually have the power to stop these assholes all resign from their positions because they refuse to be corrupt. Y'know, instead of sticking around to impede said corruption.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Strong Sauce posted:

speaking of local governments rigging their state's elections. wasn't there a thing about Ohio for years, starting with at least Bush/Gore? Like Obama won Ohio in 2008/2012 but I remember hearing reports about local counties ballots going missing and not being counted, and like the only reason Obama won the state was because there was just so many people voting for him that they couldn't even rig it in mccain or romney's favor.

there are various statistical methods you can use to try and detect election fraud, the one that i like is called benford's law which is basically a way to detect if sets of numbers are not random and instead picked by a person thinking they're random or are otherwise manipulated

iirc the 2004 ohio results failed to follow benford's law, implying that they were faked in some way

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/IChotiner/status/1310307816377217024?s=20

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Even if Biden takes one, there is basically zero chance of him following up. He's gonna call the test result rigged and refuse to take it claiming that he has never done drugs. The dude has absolutely no concept of honesty

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Outrail posted:

gently caress the ballot.

Actually gently caress yourself with the ballot. It's going to happen whether you like it or not

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Catastrophe posted:

and THEN mail it in.

Me submitting my ballot:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Someone finally told him to get his head out of his rear end?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Junk posted:

Ceausescu?

This one had the best ending.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I actually do think Biden's performance has dramatically improved, but I think it's two things:

1) recent practice (as he's been a private citizen for a while)
2) feeling better about his prospects. It was a tough-rear end primary and back in Jan it looked like Trump was a strong overdog to win. He's still got a good shot but January Trump and September Trump are not in the same position.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/status/1309863241829486593

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Trump is building up to backing out of the debates if there are no drug tests. Just wait for it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pick posted:

I actually do think Biden's performance has dramatically improved, but I think it's two things:

1) recent practice (as he's been a private citizen for a while)
2) feeling better about his prospects. It was a tough-rear end primary and back in Jan it looked like Trump was a strong overdog to win. He's still got a good shot but January Trump and September Trump are not in the same position.

Ima be honest Biden never sounded as horrible as some people made him out to be, at least from my foreigners perspective. He seems like an average politician and speaker in the few things Ive seen, and compared to Trump that makes him basically a rhetorical master.

My best guess for the debate is that Trump will just try to wildly attack and talk over him, but on the flip side he has never really gotten ANY pushback in the last few years to anything, so it's gonna be interesting to see how he deals with that. His usualy "call them nasty and walk out like a pouty kindergardener" will not have the same effect

Can someone tell me when the debate is going to be? I'm guess in the middle of the night euro time, so evening in the US?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Trump is building up to backing out of the debates if there are no drug tests. Just wait for it.

He did the same thing to Hillary. I don't see it going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Biden should accept if Trump releases his tax records.