Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Stairmaster posted:

there was an interview where kubo said he wanted to do a scene with isshin and them in the arrancar arc but the editors nixed it.

Why would they nix this besides out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I think his editors were bad

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's pretty clear in interviews that Kubo and his editors really didn't get along.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
How does manga production work? How much of it is a collaboration? Does the mangaka not have the power to get a different editor?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shadow0 posted:

How does manga production work? How much of it is a collaboration? Does the mangaka not have the power to get a different editor?

From what I understand, in Japan the editor is also more like supervising manager who can make "suggestions" the manga creator doesn't really have a choice but to follow.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bleach as it went on developed a very strong feeling that Kubo just wasn't enjoying it anymore

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean it tracks with my pet theory that most of the Soul Society aren't as much consciously malicious or fash or whatever as they are merely dumb as rocks.

I mean, being maliciously fash doesn't preclude them from being dumb as rocks as well.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey, that guy who did a video on why Bleach sucks did another video apologising for the inaccuracies in his first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbBgrSUPUH0&t=3007s

And then segues into pointing out other reasons why Bleach sucks. I had somehow forgotten that every fight is just someone pulling out a power-up to immediately win and that Ishida wins all of his fights in the exact same way.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Bleach was a bunch of tournament arcs in a way, except instead of having pre-defined powers, power ups could have almost nothing to do with their already defined powers on top of just 20+ new characters with new powers introduce nearly every single arc.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I forgot that Chad fought a dude with an afro. I literally only remember the power up he got , which was then shown to be immediately useless.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did Chad get done the dirtiest of the entire hero side? He gets some powers but never really gets to go full-throttle like the insane stuff Ichigo, Rukia or Uryu, often gets used to demonstrate the strength of the opposing side by getting his rear end kicked, and his final fate is to become a professional fighter for money, something he stated explicitly throughout the series he absolutely did not want.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I think at least you can feel things about Chad, Orihime went from being a really fun character to a void. By the Sternritter arc she's just a glorified medkit.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

TheHan posted:

I think at least you can feel things about Chad, Orihime went from being a really fun character to a void. By the Sternritter arc she's just a glorified medkit.

Another reason I was so disappointed with how the Fullbringer Arc ended. It really seemed for a bit like Orihime and Chad were going to get to do stuff there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

I forgot that Chad fought a dude with an afro. I literally only remember the power up he got , which was then shown to be immediately useless.

The Dragon Armadillo dude?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RIP Chad and Orihime, not popular enough with the editors compared to the pretty sword boys and Kenpachi.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

At least they quietly did away with the annoying sprites / pixies / whatever.

Remember when Aizen said Orihime's power treads on God's domain?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"Rejecting" any event happening is pretty dang powerful, and was basically the only thing that even had a chance to outright destroy the Hoagie. Shame about everything else.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Dragon Armadillo dude?

I had to look it up and check to see if that was the guy, which it was.

Chad had such a cool power as well, with the implication it was Hollow related because of how it worked, only for him to get shot out of cannon and into the void that every character besides the captains ended up in.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

chumbler posted:

RIP Chad and Orihime, not popular enough with the editors compared to the pretty sword boys and Kenpachi.

I still don't understand why they gave Ichigo a squad of super powered sexy teens if they never amount to anything at any point.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still remember most characters and their appearances and powers because I got Bleach in the brain.

Except YWACH's Elite Four. gently caress X-Sniper Dude and Death Dealing or whatever that dude's power was. At least Thor and Handy had less convoluted powers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I still don't understand why they gave Ichigo a squad of super powered sexy teens if they never amount to anything at any point.

they were introduced before the captains, is all. the rescue rukia arc consisted of ichigo and his pals going up against a corrupt organization that governs the afterlife. however, the members of the corrupt organization ended up being way more popular than ichigo and his pals. it's like if in yu yu hakusho the four saint beasts all survived and supplanted the other 3 as yuusuke's companions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tatsuki was obviously supposed to get a bigger character arc than she ended up with but given what happened to Chad that might not have been a bad thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tatsuki was obviously supposed to get a bigger character arc than she ended up with but given what happened to Chad that might not have been a bad thing.

And her only compensation was a terrible female mullet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tatsuki got one the best moments in the manga though when she punched Ichigo the gently caress out for being a silent-suffering douche.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 28, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I still remember most characters and their appearances and powers because I got Bleach in the brain.

Except YWACH's Elite Four. gently caress X-Sniper Dude and Death Dealing or whatever that dude's power was. At least Thor and Handy had less convoluted powers.

Remember the guy whose power was that literally anything he can imagine happens, and instead of just imagining Zaraki is dead or something he imagines he's as strong as Zaraki, which immediately causes him to explode because "only Zaraki's body is strong enough to contain his power"?

God all the loving sternritter were awful. Except Mask De Masculine, that guy ruled.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He imagined zaraki to be unkillable because of his reputation

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

He imagined zaraki to be unkillable because of his reputation

This was so stupid it warped around to being amazing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Even Mask got incredibly bad because he just wouldnt die
For no good reason.
No narratively satisfying twist just nope no sell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Once Renji shows up he kills Mask in like 3 chapters.

I mostly like him because the guy he's fighting explains to Mask that his power is music based, and immediately Mask just goes "oh well okay that's easy enough" and rips his own eardrums out so he can't hear anything, thus completely negating the guy's bankai. Goddamn the vizards were such a disappointment, awesome character designs and powers, but they existed to do nothing but endlessly job.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Shinji also loses his Quincy fight because he explains his reversal of perception power and the girl he's fighting goes "oh okay then I'll just fire explosives in every direction" and nails Shinji, instantly knocking him out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile Hachi chopped the strongest Arrancar into bits, brushed off his suit, and moved to America to become an NFL coach.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 28, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Even Mask got incredibly bad because he just wouldnt die
For no good reason.
No narratively satisfying twist just nope no sell.

On its face a wrestler being unstoppable while he’s got a fan cheering him on is something I can buy. It’s a fun concept and there’s an easy win condition built in for weaker characters to beat him. But then his lil fan was also unkillable for no good reason and Renji just beat him by having big spirit power.

Then Valkyrie comes along and has the same ability for no reason and is even more unkillable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also none of the vizards used their masks at all in the final arc. Presumably Kubo just forgot but I like to think Yamamoto told them that as a condition for being allowed back into the fold they had to cut out that hollow poo poo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why didn't kubo have someone beat mask by going over with the fan

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sydin posted:

Shinji also loses his Quincy fight because he explains his reversal of perception power and the girl he's fighting goes "oh okay then I'll just fire explosives in every direction" and nails Shinji, instantly knocking him out.

One of the reason I liked Gin was that he was literally the only person in the entire Bleach universe who figured out that lying about how exactly his Bankai works, instead of immediately explaining everything about it, might be a good idea. And he almost killed Aizen because of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
going over with?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

making the fan cheer for them instead.
Imagine someone like Ikkaku wins over mask's fan by being an indomitable underdog.

But thats a solution not rooted in 'i have big spirit power' so it wouldnt happen in late bleach.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fan wasn't actually a person. he was a weird humanoid blob that was formed from mask's power.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

One of the reason I liked Gin was that he was literally the only person in the entire Bleach universe who figured out that lying about how exactly his Bankai works, instead of immediately explaining everything about it, might be a good idea. And he almost killed Aizen because of it.

For the reverse of this, remember when Ichigo lost to Aizen because he spent too long posing and explaining his power that he ran out of time and that was an actual, real thing that happened?

And then they win anyway because of deus ex bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ok
Why would that even matter

Why wouldnt a wrestler that wins through the cheering of his fans not have a perfectly thematic way to lose than losing the support of his fans.