Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

~*BO$$Y*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

They said they were keeping them doped up but it's still kinda silly, yeah. I also don't really see how the logistics of using her to pop Raynor's head works - Vought wheel her out conscious and free enough to blow up someone's head and she doesn't just kill them instead? Why would she do dirty work for the people who are using her for a lab rat? Was there some reason I'm not remembering why they couldn't just tell Homelander "hey this CIA agent is snooping around where she shouldn't be, fly over there at the speed of sound and laser her real quick"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project

quote:

Pat Price
A former Burbank, California, police officer and former Scientologist who participated in a number of Cold War era remote viewing experiments, including the US government-sponsored projects SCANATE and the Stargate Project. Price joined the program after a chance encounter with fellow Scientologists (at the time) Harold Puthoff and Ingo Swann near SRI.[35] Working with maps and photographs provided to him by the CIA, Price claimed to have been able to retrieve information from facilities behind Soviet lines. He is probably best known for his sketches of cranes and gantries which appeared to conform to CIA intelligence photographs. At the time, the CIA took his claims seriously.[36]

I'm going to make the prediction they had her stare at a picture.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kimiko was so good in that episode

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StashAugustine posted:

Kimiko was so good in that episode

REALLY glad they're adding a third dimension to her character

That actress is so talented. They barely give her anything to work with and she knocks it out the park with her eyes alone

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

eSporks posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project

I'm going to make the prediction they had her stare at a picture.

I guess this would fit the pattern of the supes that have objectively the most use for intelligence gathering / wetworks operations getting completely shafted in favor of the flashy Homelander types.

Like realistically Doppelganger, Mesmer, and someone who could assassinate people anywhere in the world by looking at their picture would be the CIA / JSOC's wet dream but Vought's pitch to the military is having Superman doing laser-powered strafing runs instead.

I am 100% down for more insane real-life CIA projects getting showtime though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

homelander killed dag hammarskjold

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That actress is so talented. They barely give her anything to work with and she knocks it out the park with her eyes alone

I've really been enjoying how well a lot of the actors in this show use their expressions but it's something I don't really notice that much in a show but in The Boys they really do a lot of acting in the expressions. Also I like that Kimiko's entire storyline and character is deviating pretty hard from Frenchie needing to help or save her, rather than her relationships being forged on her own grounds and choice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A character who communicates through every means other than dialogue can be a lot of fun. See everyone's favourite sassy space alien Chewbacca.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is she now killing for money ? We saw her kill a bunch of typical Russian gangsters, and that was no problem, but eventually hired killers get hired to kill a nice shopkeeper who refuses to sell to a real estate mogul.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lamplighters outfit is truely awful. It reads more as early 2000's dude into Techno than superhero.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

massive spider posted:

Lamplighters outfit is truely awful. It reads more as early 2000's dude into Techno than superhero.

The master of ceremonies at a Gallagher show

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

massive spider posted:

It looks like something from a 90s attempt at a superhero movie, except the staff would be more plastic and not have fire effects.

Butcher's slicked-down do looked pretty gross

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Preview, kinda gives away too much I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6ecxA1GK4

I'm wondering if we're going to see Payback, the comics Avengers analog at any time. There havent even been any throwaway references to them so I'm thinking that the showrunners want to keep them for something significant rather than waste them.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

I'm wondering if we're going to see Payback, the comics Avengers analog at any time. There havent even been any throwaway references to them so I'm thinking that the showrunners want to keep them for something significant rather than waste them.

I guess that answers my question as to what happens if you dig a Vought tracer out of people.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

massive spider posted:

Yeah I'm curious as well, since early in S1 there were a lot of reference to other Supes (the Vought all hands presentation mentions 200? of them I think; the negotiation to hire out a supe to a city that leads to HL lasering down the plane) but the world has shrunk a lot on the Supe front till very recently. And most of the extra supes we've got have been rejects or kept secret, so it would be difficult for a "by the way, this other very popular group of Supes has existed all along" take not to feel a lot like serialization instead of development. The writers have been very good so far, though, so we'll see.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah I'm curious as well, since early in S1 there were a lot of reference to other Supes (the Vought all hands presentation mentions 200? of them I think; the negotiation to hire out a supe to a city that leads to HL lasering down the plane) but the world has shrunk a lot on the Supe front till very recently. And most of the extra supes we've got have been rejects or kept secret, so it would be difficult for a "by the way, this other very popular group of Supes has existed all along" take not to feel a lot like serialization instead of development. The writers have been very good so far, though, so we'll see.

They seem to be glossing over other groups pretty pointedly. Even Starlight was on another team (The Young Americans) before being called up to the big leagues, and in the show it seemed like she was more of an unaffiliated super hanging out at bible camps than anything actually attached directly to Vought

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

massive spider posted:

So Butcher is going to try and kill the kid. Sheesh.

mod edit: tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 28, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

massive spider posted:

He looks like he belonged in Mystery Men.

CeeJee posted:

Is she now killing for money ? We saw her kill a bunch of typical Russian gangsters, and that was no problem, but eventually hired killers get hired to kill a nice shopkeeper who refuses to sell to a real estate mogul.

I don't want to say I think she killed the gangsters for fun, but more of an outlet for her emotions. If someone tries to make her do something she doesn't want to do it won't go well for the other person.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 28, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Azhais posted:

They seem to be glossing over other groups pretty pointedly. Even Starlight was on another team (The Young Americans) before being called up to the big leagues, and in the show it seemed like she was more of an unaffiliated super hanging out at bible camps than anything actually attached directly to Vought

I think she mentions that she was on a team with Gecko dude where she dated Soldier Boy.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Looks like b-roll from a Linkin Park video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlCC1GOwFw

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 28, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shageletic posted:

I think she mentions that she was on a team with Gecko dude where she dated Soldier Boy.

Hmm, I vaguely remember that. You sure she said soldier boy not drummer boy? I'll have to go rewatch that episode, cause if its the former next season could have some extra drama attached when Jensen arrives.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Azhais posted:

Hmm, I vaguely remember that. You sure she said soldier boy not drummer boy? I'll have to go rewatch that episode, cause if its the former next season could have some extra drama attached when Jensen arrives.

Im actually not sure

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It was mentioned that a-Train and Popclaw were on 'Teenage Kix' together.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Utgardaloki posted:

It was mentioned that a-Train and Popclaw were on 'Teenage Kix' together.

Ah, so it was probably the young americans that starlight mentions. The two teen teams in the comic were TYA who were the strait laced christian conservative group, and the Kix who were the "bad boys"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

massive spider posted:

It looks like a wrestler’s entrance costume imo

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

aware of dog posted:

It looks like a wrestler’s entrance costume imo

Yeah it has real "Paul Bearer walking behind him holding an urn" energy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's really perfect for the look the show wanted.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Was that the hood 'Liberty' wore in Stormfront's box of mementos?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Panfilo posted:

Was that the hood 'Liberty' wore in Stormfront's box of mementos?
It was.

Makes me wonder what did in the interim between Liberty and now. Just hang out in an airbnb for a while?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Probably depends if everyone at Vought knows one is the other or not. Liberty retires, and some years later here's Stormfront! Keep the immortality thing a secret from the people at large

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

what was the injury that hughie got? was there a bone or piece of metal sticking out of his chest?

seems like he is up and about pretty quick

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
He got a piece of metal stuck in his spleen, it seems.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spacetoaster posted:

So, talking about the headpopping lady. Would that work on a super like translucient? I know his skin is super tough, but his guts aren't, so I assume she could mash stuff up inside of them.

Ever see that episode of Mythbusters with the diving suit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8&t=24s

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 28, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

massive spider posted:

Maybe it was part of the visual gag for how Butcher and MM had the laughing attack when he showed up?

I know I had a laughing attack when he showed up since the costume was so cheesy and dated.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Speaking of visual gags, I'm still mildly disappointed that Translucent popped like a balloon rather than having all his viscera forced out of the holes in his diamond skin like one of those pooping keychains.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

On how Cindy got out of her cell, propofol is just a general-purpose anaesthetic but dosing it right is indeed tricky even without supe physiology. Doubly so if you're trying to keep someone sedated but still able to breathe on their own.

The effect of drugs like that does depend on what stimuli people are exposed to though. Stronger the stimuli the more likely they'll react despite the drug. She seems very doped up when she walks out of her cell, but then she gets shot.

So it's reasonably plausible that she was drugged enough to stay docile while in a quiet cell, but having her door vaporised and then a bunch of bullets hit her was enough of a kick to get her to use her powers. Then she falls back under the drug enough to just wander around dazed until it wears off. Gels pretty nicely with Lamplighter's comment that the doctor is known to "screw up" the doses.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

so who all do we think is gonna bite it before this season is over with? Lamplighter for sure, but i just can't see Stormfront's plot ending so soon

Mallory too, maybe?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I don't see Stormfront getting out of the season alive. There's just not that far you can take a character once they've gone full Nazi, and Homelander is the primary antagonist.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't see Stormfront getting out of the season alive. There's just not that far you can take a character once they've gone full Nazi, and Homelander is the primary antagonist.

I think there's also a possible plotline where the Boys destroy all the V research which causes Stormfront to go nuts and find out about Homelander Jr and this season ends with her kidnapping him. Then next season is the whole big confrontation of the three groups. But I don't really know how long they are planning on doing the show/how many episodes we have left for any misc plots to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Azhais posted:

I think there's also a possible plotline where the Boys destroy all the V research which causes Stormfront to go nuts and find out about Homelander Jr and this season ends with her kidnapping him. Then next season is the whole big confrontation of the three groups. But I don't really know how long they are planning on doing the show/how many episodes we have left for any misc plots to develop.

Whatever confrontation is going to happen, it's going to happen by the end of the season. This is a Kripke show, he believes in firing all your Chekhov's guns by the end of the play, bless his heart.