Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

actually the reason Iran is supporting Armenia is because Iranian isn't actually Muslim
https://twitter.com/ProfBShaffer/status/1257781297327616000?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

not sure what sort of energy is coming off this tweet
https://twitter.com/NasimiAghayev/status/1292549921162182656?s=20

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how we're barely a day into a conflict nobody knows anything about in a part of the world no one cares about but already the same pre-packaged positions of people who already hate so and so and love so and so are already being transferred over.

Honestly after looking at everything I dont support either side in this, I cant cheer for armenia because they're backed by russia, crazed christian nationalists and arab fascism, and I cant support azerbaijan because they're allies with Israel and it seems like they're the ones who started this. so whatever.

I loving hate conflicts in the social media age because for all intents and purposes you might as well know nothing.

actually im very informed

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Armenian community is large enough in the US to make this a bit of a domestic issue

but enough about kim kardashian's rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Literally all I know about the region comes from the book Black Garden (by de Waal, it's about 20 years old at this point). That said, it seems to be the most authoritative single English source on the region at the moment so I'll summarize the key points as best I remember them.

Thanks for this. That flare-up in the late 80s under Gorbachev was covered in two pages of a book I had, but that was it, so it's nice to have a bigger perspective.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how we're barely a day into a conflict nobody knows anything about in a part of the world no one cares about but already the same pre-packaged positions of people who already hate so and so and love so and so are already being transferred over.

Honestly after looking at everything I dont support either side in this, I cant cheer for armenia because they're backed by russia, crazed christian nationalists and arab fascism, and I cant support azerbaijan because they're allies with Israel and it seems like they're the ones who started this. so whatever.

I loving hate conflicts in the social media age because for all intents and purposes you might as well know nothing.

I mean, I don't know about anyone else but just based on that I know which side I'm on.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I stand with Kim

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

im hoping this conflict will be over as quick as it started with no major gains by either side, and i think that's the most likely outcome.

then again maybe this somehow blooms into WWIII with turkey drawing in the NATO powers (minus the US for the first three years) and Russia and China dumping their entire GDP into military production over a scrap of inarable land between two seas you forgot about.

as for picking sides, who cares?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Armenian community is large enough in the US to make this a bit of a domestic issue

speaking of, someone’s been torching Armenian churches in San Francisco the past two months

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
to think back to better days, one of the most famous soviet composers was aram khachaturian, an armenian and winner of the stalin prize and author of ballets such as gayane and spartacus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JlGS1m1PL4&t=5934s

timestamped the part that was used in the hudsucker proxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3XHPdexNM

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Siq0XJvsY&t=3290s

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Sep 28, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

gradenko_2000 posted:

would anyone be willing to effort-post about the history behind these two countries and/or their current political climates? I only have the vaguest idea about this region.

Let's begin in the aftermath of the February Revolution in Russia where the Armenian and Azerbaijani republics (and Georgia too) were declared. There's a lot of Armenians and Azerbaijanis in Nakhichevan (map), Zangezur (map), Nagorno-Karabakh, (map) at this time. War erupted between the two states (which was really just a continuation of fighting at had been occurring since the Ottoman Army advanced through the region in 1918, but you know gotta have a cut off somewhere) and lasted until the Red Army of new Soviet Union invaded both nations.

So the Soviets set up a committee headed by Josef Stalin to settle the matter. He assigns Nakhichevan to Azerbaijan as a autonomous republic, Zangezur to Armenia as a part of it, and Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijan as an autonomous oblast. The problem here being Nagorno-Karabakh is overwhelming Armenian. Nakhichevan's Armenian population mostly moved to the new Armenian SSR, but those in Karabakh did not. Fast forward to 1988. The Regional Soviet of Karabakh, encouraged by Gorbachev's glasnost, votes to unite the oblast with Armenia SSR and requests the intercession of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR into the matter. The main complaints being that Heydar Aliyev (father of the current Azerbaijan President) is surpassing the Armenian language, decrease the amount of Armenians living there, favoring Azerbaijanis, etc.

Any why the Supreme Soviet sends some mixed signals, but Gorbachev eventually comes down firmly against. Armenians strike and protest; Azerbaijanis counterprotest. The two sides clash at Askeran leaving two Azerbaijanis dead. This triggers the Sumgait pogrom a few days latter as dozens of Armenians are killed and Soviet authorities fail to react quickly to curb the violence. This sends a shockwave through the Armenian community and demands for Karabakh to be transferred to Armenia intensify as Armenians flee Azerbaijan. The Supreme Soviet now formally refuses and deploys soldiers into Armenia. A stalemate ensues until the end of the year as ethnic violence flares and Azerbaijan begin to flee to Azerbaijan. Then that December 1988 a earthquake levels the country and kills tens of thousands Armenians. Gorbachev arrests the entire Karabakh Committee a few days after and any Armenian faith left for the USSR collapses.

The Azerbaijani Popular Front is founded and rapidly rises in support. This alarms the Kremlin who attempt and fail to suppress the rising nationalistic sentiment that's rising across its Caucasus union republics. (Georgian-Abkhaz conflict waves)

Fast forward one year to January '90 and Boku pogrom occurs and Popular Front seizes the border crossing with Iran. Gorbachev declares a state of emergency and deploys the Soviet Army who kill dozens and wound hundreds of Azerbaijanis. Which sparks stronger nationalistic feelings across the country. Armenian paramilitaries begin to attack Azerbaijani enclaves inside Armenia this year and Armenian and Soviet forces are opening firing on each other. The Supreme Soviet of Armenia declares it's independence in August 1990.

Armenia boycotts the 1991 referendum on keeping and reforming the USSR. Azerbaijan votes to keep the USSR. The Soviets launch Operation Ring a month later and begin the full scale deportation of Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh in attempt to intimidate Armenia into giving up its demands, but backfires as the situation becomes a full on civil war until the August Coup a few months after brings the Union to an end. Republic of Artsakh is proclaimed and as Armenian forces advance its now Azerbaijani's who are expelled from the region. Azerbaijan forces placed Stepanakert, the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh, under siege. Which is lifted when Armenia forces capture Shusha and Khojaly (where Armenian forces shamefully massacre at least 200 civilians.)

Azerbaijan pretty much gets bodied over the course of the rest of the war and Azerbaijan President Ayaz Mutallibov is ousted as losses continue. Abulfaz Elchibey, the chairman of the Popular Front, becomes President and precedes to alienate Iran with his anti-Iranian and Pan-Turkish irredentism so much that Iran supplies Armenian with energy and fuel. This countered the blockade on Armenia imposed by Turkey and the shutdown of its nuclear power plant due to damage from the '88 earthquake. Mutallibov would be overthrown and replaced by Heydar Aliyev as the war losses kept coming and a ceasefire was signed.

Currently Azerbaijan is run by the Aliyey family with Heydar's son succeeding him in 2003. Armenia had a revolution in 2018 that brought Nikol Pashinyan to power on an anti-corruption message. Although I haven't looked into how successful that's been.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Yup, The perpetrators of the pogroms were the beloved anti-soviet activists who founded such glorious states as the baltic states and Ukraine. Nationalism is a brain disease

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

the one in Iowa was pretty cool

The ones in Eurasia probably have less C.I.A involvement and better food, so I’m good, thanks.

I mean that cheese boat thing looked pretty good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

Yup, The perpetrators of the pogroms were the beloved anti-soviet activists who founded such glorious states as the baltic states and Ukraine. Nationalism is a brain disease

Feeling like you glossed over a lot of what I wrote about how Soviet decisions were at the root of the issue and then worsened instead of easing the situation later on.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OhFunny posted:

Feeling like you glossed over a lot of what I wrote about how Soviet decisions were at the root of the issue and then worsened instead of easing the situation later on.

crazy how the soviet union was defined by 70 years of ethnic violence

I wonder what was going on in 1988 hmm

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1310471694117724164

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

crazy how the soviet union was defined by 70 years of ethnic violence

I wonder what was going on in 1988 hmm

I'd appreciate if you articulated your views a little more thoroughly than this. As I view the Soviets handing Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijan as the root cause of current situation. Along with Gorbachev's doing nothing, doing to little to late, and than going so heavy handed in the early 90s that he turns both sides against the then current Soviet system, but I suppose that sort of discussion belongs in the history thread.

On to current events:

The fighting is continuing as Azerbaijan brings up its TOS rocket systems:
https://twitter.com/ShStepanyan/status/1310483306048348160?s=20

Armenian wounded has doubled to 200

Partial Mobilization ordered in Azerbaijan. Translated from Russian.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The ones in Eurasia probably have less C.I.A involvement and better food, so I’m good, thanks.

I mean that cheese boat thing looked pretty good.

Its pretty greasy and alot of times the egg is still pretty raw so ymmv (i love it but alot of americans react badly to it). They also have a pseudo-fondu, don't know the name, which is pretty good and mixed with flour. Sticks to the bones.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Sep 28, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The sources from both sides on twitter for this conflict all read like Herodotus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BeefThief posted:

im hoping this conflict will be over as quick as it started with no major gains by either side, and i think that's the most likely outcome.

then again maybe this somehow blooms into WWIII with turkey drawing in the NATO powers (minus the US for the first three years) and Russia and China dumping their entire GDP into military production over a scrap of inarable land between two seas you forgot about.

as for picking sides, who cares?

your middle sentence answers your question, this won't blow up

at least the sudetenland had beer

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

wooosh

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

paul_soccer12 posted:

whos this guy

cargo cult

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0OFNZmCsf8

Good interview with Thomas de Waal

his main point is that Turkey is backing them now like never before

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://nkrmil.am/news/view/2920

Artsakh listed the names of 28 soldiers killed today the 28th.

Recent statements from Erdogan
https://twitter.com/TRTWorldNow/status/1310543977205071873?s=20

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

This is all so wild

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
damnit, if only we had invited them into the EU before this and this war wouldve never happened damnit all

vvv redundant

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Sep 28, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fanfic insert posted:

damnit, if only we had invited them into the EU NATO before this and this war wouldve never happened damnit all

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ah lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

OhFunny posted:

http://nkrmil.am/news/view/2920

Artsakh listed the names of 28 soldiers killed today the 28th.

Recent statements from Erdogan
https://twitter.com/TRTWorldNow/status/1310543977205071873?s=20

that pilot who refused to kill erdogan is was the stupidest motherfucker on earth lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that pilot who refused to kill erdogan is was the stupidest motherfucker on earth lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1310554090980679688?s=20
:coolzone:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Many people are saying

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nonsense posted:

The sources from both sides on twitter for this conflict all read like Herodotus

*thinking harder than ever before*
Maybe herodotus's style... was and is the norm???

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I take it the giant ants want to seize Nagorno-Karabakh so they can dig for gold there?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Saqib_Falcon/status/1310452797503045633?s=20
https://twitter.com/surializade/status/1310515643737927681?s=20
https://twitter.com/NayraShemo/status/1310162522809356289?s=20

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

you know you've made it when the guy you're with says "if your life is ever at risk, it won't be until all of my men are dead."

it’s always been intriguing to me that in certain parts of the world your life can be spent just in a private militia or paramilitary group with no real regulation

but in the US it’s exclusively a weekend warrior thing barring :gooncamp:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

this whole thing stinks to high heavens that the globalists are behind this. globalists just want to see their globalists agenda done, selling more globes to the global elementary school market, as the globes in their school rooms are now out of date.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao