Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did it?
The butler
The weird guy you meet once
Professor James "Goku" Moriatry
View Results

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Inverted Icon posted:

I cannot imagine a scenario whereupon I would read a sherlock holmes story

i mean the first one is anti-mormon so there's that at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Sekenr posted:

I wantched some of this and loved how in one episode a dude showed up with a priceless brooch that he found to ask Holmes what should he do with it, and Holmes just nonchalantly dropped it in his desk drawer and waved the dude away, just go back to your meager victorian era proletarian existance, we'll handle the brooch from now on.

In the Musgrave Ritual Holmes spends his vacation shooting up and relentlessly making GBS threads on his host and his old drafty house until a mystery happens.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i like sir digby chicken caesar

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh

whoever said Basil of Baker Street is the best Holmes was right btw. I never read those books as a kid but The Great Mouse Detective is one of the best Disney movies of all time, therefore

naem
May 29, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i like sir digby chicken caesar

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA14165AAC4472D3F

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fornax Disaster posted:

In the Musgrave Ritual Holmes spends his vacation shooting up and relentlessly making GBS threads on his host and his old drafty house until a mystery happens.

This is my favorite Holmes. I used to watch him as a kid with my dad on Mystery Theater on PBS. Good memories.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

esperterra posted:

oh

whoever said Basil of Baker Street is the best Holmes was right btw. I never read those books as a kid but The Great Mouse Detective is one of the best Disney movies of all time, therefore

They would show us that movie on PE when I was a child. The only thing I can recall from it is the scene where Sherlock shoots the row of pillows and checks the bullet for deformation, before exclaiming "Crap!"

That's enough to buy it a place in my heart

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Ronald Lacey's creepiest role was not in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

esperterra posted:

oh

This was my favorite Disney movie when I was a kid even though it scared me lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Fornax Disaster posted:

My vote for best Holmes also goes to Jeremy Brett. Guy had that certain intense snake-like quality, like he'll bartitsu you in the face as soon as you walk in the door because you have some dust on your hat

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nero Wolfe is the best sherlock holmes, by the by.
this truth slipped right past the thread

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I just assumed nero wolfe was that poster's fursona

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
nero wolfe is possibly even goonier than holmes

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Missing Death Star Plans

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoPw2SaEq9k

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fornax Disaster posted:

Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Missing Death Star Plans

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoPw2SaEq9k

Peter Cushing was a really good classic Holmes (second only to Jeremy Brett, imo) but he was rather wasted on a BBC TV budget and production values and a bumbling/comic relief Watson. Brett's Holmes wouldn't have been half as effective without Edward Hardwicke being the best acted and written Watson alongside him.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
So the missus and I watched Enola Holmes and it was pretty solidly "ok". The characters are two-dimensional but amusing enough. There's no real mystery here, and the bad guy is telegraphed a country mile away. The sets and costuming are on point, I gotta say. The plot is not terribly deep and is honestly trying way too hard to be timely, but it moves along at a good pace and isn't too ridiculous.

Henry Cavill is the best part of the show, despite clearly intending to be a Millie Bobby Brown vehicle. Don't get me wrong, she's good and all, but she's no Hailee Steinfeld, and Cavill is great.

My only serious criticism is that the romance subplot feels awkward and shoehorned in and the show would have been better without it.

All in all it's a decent popcorn flick for nearly all ages. It's not really a Holmes movie though.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

BalloonFish posted:

Peter Cushing was a really good classic Holmes (second only to Jeremy Brett, imo) but he was rather wasted on a BBC TV budget and production values and a bumbling/comic relief Watson. Brett's Holmes wouldn't have been half as effective without Edward Hardwicke being the best acted and written Watson alongside him.

Most accurate Watson, too.

Thanks to all the lovely representations of him, few people know that in the books, he was a successful doctor, a winner with the ladies and pretty handy in a fight. He was just a modest guy who didn't blow his own trumpet.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I agree with SubnormalityStairs about the Enola Holmes movie. It's cute and has a good feminist message, but it's not really Sherlockian at all -- no confounding mysteries present themselves, and no remarkable feats of observation and deduction are deployed. Cryptography is more Enola's thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh and the worst sherlock holmes is Mystery Murdoch, the Canadian Catholic Copper with too much kohl.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Murdoch Mysteries is, however, an excellent show to get bored and fall asleep to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nero Wolfe is the best sherlock holmes, by the by.

Nero Wolfe is loving amazing, the recurring actors are all brilliant on it.
Such a good idea, have most the same actors act different characters each episode..
Nero is different in that he sets up situations where there are none, mainly to get paid or solve some 'honor debt'.
Like someone will get killed in his house, or after they turned away after asking him for help and he just goes 'I better solve this or I look a fool'.
He does induce things like Sherlock, but I don't think Sherlock had a situation where he had to do it for any other reason than 'the challenge'.

And Jeremy Brett is the best one, hands down.
Didn't realize for a long time there were two Dr Watson actors.

Not sure if its been mentioned already, but the 2013 Russian Sherlock Holmes series is pretty good, if you can find one with an english sub.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I watched a Soviet Holmes on TV Moscow as a kid. It looked good but I don't know Russian so vOv

Also I haven't really watched the North American Wolfe series because I haven't found a decent quality source.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I watched a Soviet Holmes on TV Moscow as a kid. It looked good but I don't know Russian so vOv

Also I haven't really watched the North American Wolfe series because I haven't found a decent quality source.
why were you watching TV Moscow if you don't speak Russian?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cubone posted:

why were you watching TV Moscow if you don't speak Russian?

Why do kids do anything? For the novelty. Satellite TV was a new thing (for us). I was probably waiting for the DJ Kat Show to come on on Sky Channel or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chicken Butt posted:

I agree with SubnormalityStairs about the Enola Holmes movie. It's cute and has a good feminist message, but it's not really Sherlockian at all -- no confounding mysteries present themselves, and no remarkable feats of observation and deduction are deployed. Cryptography is more Enola's thing.

well, that actually sounds better than i would have expected. they made her a different character rather than sherlock in a dress. and since she isn't sherlock, why have her do the exact same sorts of things?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, that actually sounds better than i would have expected. they made her a different character rather than sherlock in a dress. and since she isn't sherlock, why have her do the exact same sorts of things?

That’s a good point, but it doesn’t come through in any compellingly entertaining way. The most compelling aspect of the film is “revolutionary feminism is good and cool”, but that’s relegated to the B-plot. Meanwhile, it’s not even clear that there *is* an A-plot until near the end of the movie. So: cute and has a good message, but a bit of a mess.

Dope Victorian suits straining to contain Superman Witcher’s ‘roided torso is also very distracting.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've watched a good chunk of the Soviet Holmes show. It's extremely good, it's incredibly faithful to the characters and even the setting. One subtle thing they get right about it was the big age gap between Holmes and Watson, and yeah Watson isn't a bumbling idiot in it and doesn't take poo poo from Holmes when he does offensive things like getting engaged to someone who he gave no shits about while in disguise for the sole purpose of solving a case.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Pick posted:

Elementary is easily the best Sherlock Holmes property, by leagues

it's a hell of a modern spin on the characters. love dat show

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked elementary at first, but eventually it went all in on wanking off about how wonderful the nypd is. not even the occasional dirty cop could slow down that lightning fast hand job.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I have a book from the 80s of sherlock Holmes stories written by a bunch of authors I've never heard of and Stephen King and it somehow has the official approval of the Doyle estate. I say somehow because the first three have these awful asides where they shove in things like Holmes scoffing in a real hackneyed way about cars and movies and one has the nerve to beat you over the head with the author's decision to include a child Charlie Chaplin as one of the Irregulars but a couple capture the feel.

E: I had to go back and look at it it was watson doing the scoffing

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 28, 2020

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Stories-Vintage-Original/dp/1101872616

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Sweet thanks

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I have a book from the 80s of sherlock Holmes stories written by a bunch of authors I've never heard of and Stephen King and it somehow has the official approval of the Doyle estate. I say somehow because the first three have these awful asides where they shove in things like Holmes scoffing in a real hackneyed way about cars and movies and one has the nerve to beat you over the head with the author's decision to include a child Charlie Chaplin as one of the Irregulars but a couple capture the feel.

That was the first big pastiche anthology and also had the blessing of the Estate, as you say, so it is reasonably well known, though its quality is as hit and miss as most of that sort. The King is the best one in there, but some of the names you don't recognize are also well known in the mystery community if nowhere else: Dorothy B. Hughes has several of her books made into films, including the classic In A Lonely Place with Bogart (great movie). Edward D. Hoch was one of a handful of people in the world after the pulps who made a living off short stories: he wrote hundreds, appearing every month in the top mystery magazines for decades. John Gardner was an ex-Royal Commando and then priest who took over the Bond franchise after Fleming died; he wrote a trio of interesting novels about Moriarty that can be a lot of fun.

Anyways, Holmes rules.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is Holmes racist? I remember him being cool with the mixed race girl in that mask story but I’m sure that there is some stuff going on with Chinese people...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s British OP

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Professor Shark posted:

Is Holmes racist? I remember him being cool with the mixed race girl in that mask story but I’m sure that there is some stuff going on with Chinese people...

He's got a generic mild Victorian-era ethnocentrism going on. In the Yellow Face the mystery is a mixed-race child with American parents, and neither Holmes or Watson care and the story ends happily with a British man gladly taking the widow and her child in. And in Five Orange Pips his client is threatened by the KKK, a "terrible" organization that is said to have committed "outrages". Some of it is more in the telling that the actual voiced opinions: there's something like Three Gables, where you have a general black buffoon-type thug character speaking in Doyle's best attempt at a black accent. There's lots of idiot thugs and general bad people in the Holmes stories, white and not, so he doesn't stand out particularly in that way, but the characterization is pretty bad and you can't help but cringe when reading it. As for the Chinese, I don't remember anything unusual there other than the typically lurid depiction of an opium den in The Man with the Twisted Lip, but neither Holmes nor Watson blames this on some innate quality of the Chinese race or anything. Perhaps the biggest knock the stories make against anything is the first one, which is really unflattering towards the Mormons.

I'd say the stories are quite tame compared to, say, the Sax Rohmer Fu Manchu tales or a lot of stuff that would appear in the pulps clear through the 50s. That's a low bar, admittedly, but still.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 28, 2020

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

What's the GBS verdict on sexy Henry Cavill Holmes

Hunklock was very distracting. So unusual to see a Sherlock that is so physically imposing.

The movie was decent.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The best Holmes is Slylock Fox, who carries on an eternal struggle against raccoons and shrews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Numlock posted:

Hunklock was very distracting. So unusual to see a Sherlock that is so physically imposing.

The movie was decent.

I'd let him Hound my Baskerville