Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

I can't remember, does this version not have lobbies like some of the other games Code Mystics updated?

It does not have lobbies, no. Neither does 98UM or XIII, unfortunately. One of the inarguably best things that XIV has done for the series was add really good lobbies (and online training mode).

That being said I haven't played a whole lot of 02/UM compared to 98, XIII or XIV, so it'll be fun to jump into a new KoF with good netcode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

Hace posted:

Step 1: Old game gets rollback

Step 2: Everyone talks about how sick that is

Step 3: A few people try it out

Step 4: Everyone forgets about it and complains about how there's nothing to play

Dunno, 98 (it will probably be next) and 02 are fun classic games with huge rosters. I like Garou a lot but I could see it being less interesting to newcomers with 14 characters.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

night slime posted:

Dunno, 98 (it will probably be next) and 02 are fun classic games with huge rosters. I like Garou a lot but I could see it being less interesting to newcomers with 14 characters.

Garou feels really fun, but I've never found someone to play it with so I just kinda stopped trying after awhile

UM probably has a similar fate, but hopefully I can get a few matches at least

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kof98 is the most popular game on fightcade by a mile. sf3 is the only one that really compares. so yeah that one will probably get some sustained attention

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I don't care if I have Wi-Fi, I am getting in on this poo poo :blastu: :blastu: :blastu:

night slime
May 14, 2014
On PS4 I played 97 GM and Garou on wifi for a brief period after my LAN cable broke. Played mostly fine even with people from Mexico. I think the developers would probably want you to participate anyway for the data.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i would give anything to be this loving stupid

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/sep/28/nba-finals-marvel-capcom/

quote:

Providence777 said 6 hours, 19 minutes ago
LOL sad to see the NBA's desperate attempts to become relevant again after effectively renouncing their American audience has killed their viewership xD

MvC has more clout than the NBA right now.

quote:

Green016 said 5 hours, 1 minute ago

Very simple. The UFC hasn't bowed down to the BLM mob like the NBA, NFL, etc have.

NOTE: This Something Awful forums user (previously known as "The Blackest Goon") is a Person of Color who chose the current iteration of his username ironically after years of having his remaining brain cells all but fried after monitoring the rise of online reactionary ideologies for a decade.

if this sounds like a flimsy excuse, you are wrong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do you have to be an idiot to post on Eventhubs or does posting on Eventhubs make you stupid? The eternal question...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the Knicks are nowhere near the playoffs :pwn:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress the knicks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress the knicks

Does the Knicks fan who thinks people want to play for the Knicks out of prestige still exist, and if so, gently caress them in particular

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My rough understanding is that the Knicks are the early to mid point antagonists in a sports story who mainly play to hurt people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My rough understanding is that the Knicks are the early to mid point antagonists in a sports story who mainly play to hurt people.

The Knicks are a minor villain who brags about how rich and important they are and existed to get immediately chumped by a minor character to give them some wins. Their arena makes for a cool stage, though, when later added to a fighting game

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Do you have to be an idiot to post on Eventhubs or does posting on Eventhubs make you stupid? The eternal question...

i post there so yes to both

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this somewhat niche video game franchise is somehow more popular and profitable than a Multi-Billion dollar industry, so sayth me and my pathetic little incel "friends" on r/Kappa

*bitches endlessly about newer Marvel Vs Capcom games having "SJW Marvel" in them, completely negating the previous statement*

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 29, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
what

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Garou feels really fun, but I've never found someone to play it with so I just kinda stopped trying after awhile

UM probably has a similar fate, but hopefully I can get a few matches at least

I'm hopeful that people aren't going to sleep on 2002 UM after the initial bump because it's loving awesome and has the roster is amazing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hopeful that people aren't going to sleep on 2002 UM after the initial bump because it's loving awesome and has the roster is amazing.

What makes it better than 98, out of curiosity? I don't see people talk 02 up that much in general.

e; vvv thank you for the replies. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 29, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lemon-Lime posted:

What makes it better than 98, out of curiosity? I don't see people talk 02 up that much in general.

They both rule but there's a different vibe to how both play. In 2002UM DMs do way less damage than vanilla 02 or the 98s and it's also a little faster than '98 with shorter hit stun speeds. It's also got a bigger roster with extra moves/expanded combo ability for a lot of the roster too.

I think '98 will always be more popular overall and honestly, 98UM Final Edition is probably a better game overall but 2002UM just feels huge and, it's personal preference, but I like how many of its era of characters play more than their '98 versions.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I've been playing Phonon for hours now, it's time to try Whip in '98 again

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Elephunk posted:

I've been playing Phonon for hours now, it's time to try Whip in '98 again

Whip's not in 98, any version. She's in 02 though!

Lemon-Lime posted:

As someone who's played a lot of the various versions of 98 but not much 02, 02 feels faster and more fluid and has a much bigger cast (referring to UM, vanilla cast is pretty meh). Max mode changes things quite a bit but as far as I can tell it's *mostly* a combo tool now instead of something to activate in neutral for various reasons like you would in 98. They changed how supers work in some cases, like unlocking big supers when you're low on health or in max mode.

In the past I've said that whenever I play 02 it just makes me want to play 98, and that's still true, but I'm gonna give it a real shot now that rollback is in there. Vanilla 02 just doesn't really interest me much in terms of cast and UM's netplay was so lovely I rarely touched it. If they would just add lobbies I'd be very happy, but I'm happy enough with it now I suppose.

Until they add rollback to 98UM anyway. Then I'll probably shift over to that predominantly because I'm lame like that.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a completely different take on the MAX system: instead of powering up your moves and giving you access to your SDMs, MAX instead allows you to do the following:

A) Cancel out of whatever move you're doing at the time (roman cancelling)
B) Allow you to freely cancel into and out of moves, with restrictions, extending your combo (you have to read what moves do what)
C) Allows access to SDMs and MAX2 moves, the latter of which is only activated when you're below 30% of your health

It's a lot more combo-heavy than 98 and also introduces key concepts such as counter-wire (bash someone to the other side of the screen on CD counterhit or if the move has the property, NOT CD counter; Maxima can do quite a lot of this), attack roll cancelling (like two characters can make use of this) and guard roll cancelling (an excellent way to waste your meter when you're starting out)

It's great fun and puts less emphasis on big, chunky hits and more on performance. It's basically the flip side of 98 and it's a hell of a lot of fun!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Also the cast is just really cool even if I have no idea who's viable and the only info I can find on some characters is old latin american handicam combo movies

Which tbh also owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i bought the humble bundle version so sign me up for the kof2k2 revival as well.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Victory Position posted:

It's a completely different take on the MAX system: instead of powering up your moves and giving you access to your SDMs, MAX instead allows you to do the following:

A) Cancel out of whatever move you're doing at the time (roman cancelling)
B) Allow you to freely cancel into and out of moves, with restrictions, extending your combo (you have to read what moves do what)
C) Allows access to SDMs and MAX2 moves, the latter of which is only activated when you're below 30% of your health

It's a lot more combo-heavy than 98 and also introduces key concepts such as counter-wire (bash someone to the other side of the screen on CD counterhit or if the move has the property, NOT CD counter; Maxima can do quite a lot of this), attack roll cancelling (like two characters can make use of this) and guard roll cancelling (an excellent way to waste your meter when you're starting out)

It's great fun and puts less emphasis on big, chunky hits and more on performance. It's basically the flip side of 98 and it's a hell of a lot of fun!

Attack roll cancelling is pretty cool, seems decent for Maxima who I've been fiddling with. I'm not sure what you mean by guard roll cancelling; how is that different from guard cancel AB that was in 98?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

in regards to

Race Realists posted:

i would give anything to be this loving stupid

quote:

Providence777 said 6 hours, 19 minutes ago
LOL sad to see the NBA's desperate attempts to become relevant again after effectively renouncing their American audience has killed their viewership xD

MvC has more clout than the NBA right now.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/sep/28/nba-finals-marvel-capcom/

this same type of idiot also screams about not wanting another Marvel Vs Capcom game for fears of "SJW Marvel" ruining his manchild entertainment

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
98 is chinas game and 02um is taiwans. pick a side....

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

vanilla 02 is the entirety of south america

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Isn't '97 the real Chinese KOF?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i doubt china's kof ability vs all of central and south america

KOF belongs below the equator. They earned it.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Almost half of the 2017 KOF world tour finalists were from Taiwan/china/HK, they’re stronger than Korea/Japan

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Go go Taiwan and HK, boo china.

But also yeah Taiwan has some crazy good KOF players, Central/South America really try and are often fan favorites, but it's always real rough competition.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay you can't just boo fighting game players because they're from China come on

They're not somehow villains because they come from a country with an oppressive government

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nah not the players, they're very good and probly alright dudes, but more that it's cooler for the accolades to 'go to' Taiwan and HK as a background thing.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
chairman xi counting up SNK gold medals like it’s the olympics and breaking into a iori laugh

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So I got a new fancy arcade stick, which means I don't really need my old ones. I've got an original MadCatz TE, the lever might need to be cleaned on the contacts or replaced though as it's pretty old, and a Chun-Li TE2 that also works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Anyone looking for a cheap stick? Don't have PMs but I'm looking to send them to a good home and they're both worth basically nothing afaik

The Original TE is a xbox 360 one, so it's compatible with basically ever PC fighting game as far as I've tried. The Chun-Li TE2 is a PS4/3 stick so it's a little less compatible with PC but it works pretty much fine with steam big picture, and certainly works on consoles

If no one's interested I'll make a SA Mart post at some point when I get around to it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

you can toss in a new board super easy and make that stick compatible for all the consoles, you dont even need to solder anymore. if anyone is thinking of grabbing it

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hobojim posted:

Attack roll cancelling is pretty cool, seems decent for Maxima who I've been fiddling with. I'm not sure what you mean by guard roll cancelling; how is that different from guard cancel AB that was in 98?

It's the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Nah not the players, they're very good and probly alright dudes, but more that it's cooler for the accolades to 'go to' Taiwan and HK as a background thing.

There's a few videos of Xiaohai squashing people with one hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNhBj_ea1EI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDNpbgAO5FM