Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Miss posted:

PHIZ/YCS were the same set. Started in one and moved to the other. Geez that was ages ago

GBS had a ton of webcomic threads. CAD, Dominic Deegan and Tom Preston.

The Dominic Deegan threads were definitely only in BSS and spun out of the CAD thread there, and a couple of the Tom Preston/Andrew Dobson threads were there, too. I don't know if there were Dobson threads in GBS, but don't think he was ever on a level that could sustain multiple running threads in different subforums like CAD did for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Miss posted:

Sleeveless is technically correct, I did dump the entirety of My Friend Dahmer in that thread and also parts of Pluto

As to whether that made it "glorified filez"
Seems like a reach

Pluto is badass, so I'll allow it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Whatever happened to that YCS poster who was really in to giantesses and was always talking about getting a game about giantesses made?

please do not bring cabbagepots into this world again i beg you

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

piratepilates posted:

Whatever happened to that YCS poster who was really in to giantesses and was always talking about getting a game about giantesses made?
Gigamaidens?

Lol dude got his VG name sniped by a goon who released a lovely alpha on Steam just to gently caress with him.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

lmao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Miss posted:

Sleeveless is technically correct, I did dump the entirety of My Friend Dahmer in that thread and also parts of Pluto

As to whether that made it "glorified filez"
Seems like a reach

by the rules over in BSS (which I would take as a guideline for posting comics elsewhere on SA) the former would absolutely be :filez:, while the latter would depend on how big those parts were exactly

posting any more than a few scattered pages of something that costs money is generally heavily frowned upon

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I'm not saying it was smart, and definitely the current thread has all or most of the currently available English volumes of So I'm a Spider So What so there's still filez, but does that make the entire thread glorified filez

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Miss posted:

I'm not saying it was smart, and definitely the current thread has all or most of the currently available English volumes of So I'm a Spider So What so there's still filez, but does that make the entire thread glorified filez

I hate that comic, but I don't think it's filez. I know the Japanese versions are available free online, at least. The thread has been careful about copyrighted material after the last thread got nuked.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shoehead posted:

A lot of GoonSquads would do this to pubbies looking to join too. You'd get an introduction thread in GBS with someone saying "X Goons sent me" and they'd be out ten dollars

Hell, we had multiple of these near the end of last year / start of this year. At least one of em got gold mined.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904319
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911349

and the thread for the game they came from which contains at least a couple more of those people, also gold mined for that and other reasons. Politics and War was a hell of a trip. So much content in five short months.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897634

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Shortest Path posted:

Hell, we had multiple of these near the end of last year / start of this year. At least one of em got gold mined.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904319
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911349

and the thread for the game they came from which contains at least a couple more of those people, also gold mined for that and other reasons. Politics and War was a hell of a trip. So much content in five short months.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897634

oh man this rocks, wish I could have gotten in on it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Not that it doesn't change that it was sharing published materials, but the Bad Webcomics thread did get lots of posters to purchase tons of comics and graphic novel sets for themselves after reading them in the thread. Especially of that one weird french comic about a bunch of fairies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did buy Diana Kennedy's comics from France and the dvd of John F Kennedy fighting a Cuban werewolf. 📀

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who was that goon that made lovely comics in GBS and got absolutely reamed and run out as soon as halloween 2013 anarchy hit?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who was that goon that made lovely comics in GBS and got absolutely reamed and run out as soon as halloween 2013 anarchy hit?

hellbastard

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hellbastard

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

oh man this rocks, wish I could have gotten in on it

The group of people in charge of that are running a corp in the new eve phone game, and also doing the same thing for a new browser Nation simulation game coming out in a few days called affairs and orders. The former has already produced more content than nearly any other event on SA in years, I've been kinda itching to post about the earlier thread in here but new stuff keeps happening and it wouldn't really feel appropriate to post about an unfinished saga in here I think.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Shortest Path posted:

The group of people in charge of that are running a corp in the new eve phone game, and also doing the same thing for a new browser Nation simulation game coming out in a few days called affairs and orders. The former has already produced more content than nearly any other event on SA in years, I've been kinda itching to post about the earlier thread in here but new stuff keeps happening and it wouldn't really feel appropriate to post about an unfinished saga in here I think.

Mind sending thread links, friend?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol I checked Jeffrey's SAclopedia just to see if anyone was bothering to log the current sale and

quote:

Current mod of GBS(as of 2017)

An all right guy, with a sense of humor who is even willing to wear a red text title awarded to him by a goon. Noted for his two "unusual" beliefs:

1: Bittcoin is perfectly sensible and money can easily be made from it, assuming you have the psychic ability to know when to buy it, avoid all the pitfalls, not get ripped off and sell it exactly at the right time.

2: Sex between siblings is fine as long as they don't have children (GBS disagrees).

Incest scandal when

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Well, the first one at least apparently saved the forum, so we'll see what the future holds for the second!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jeffrey of WESTEROS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jeffrey of Hapsburgs

E: gently caress

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
tbh I'm... really not entirely sure where the hatred of bitcoin among goons comes from.

is it a smart long-term investment? gently caress no. if you put all your savings in bitcoin thinking "it can only go UP UP UP" and you'll be a billionaire, without paying attention to the current price relative to trends, you're going to get hosed in record time. but if you buy a little chunk when it crashes and hang onto it, and don't expect it to make you Jeff Bezos vs. just getting an extra couple hundo out of it, you'll almost certainly be fine.

the real problem seems to be people looking at it like it's an index account when it's really closer to day trading (just easier to get into), and requires similar tactics to the latter.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The anti bitcoin thing mostly comes from the Bitcoin People being some of the most insufferable kind of nerds on the entire internet, and its also hilarious to mock them. This being Something Awful, the results are pretty predictable

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bitcoin mining is, last I checked, erasing all of our gains/offsets from renewable energy sources so there's a lot to hate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The planet died so the forums could live

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's not usually the thing itself goons hate, it's how obsessive people become over it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It's also primarily the bitcoiners who think this is the currency of the future that will replace all other currencies to become the one true currency any day now- Anything else is FUD

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

angerbeet posted:

how obsessive people become over it.

Which we then obsess about, which explains the self hate

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I hate bitcoin because I got some small fractions of a BTC for free back when they were worthless, now they could be worth upwards of :20bux: but I have long lost track of where or how to access them

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

angerbeet posted:

It's not usually the thing itself goons hate, it's how obsessive people become over it.

see: the unbelievably awful and obsessive star citizen thread which metastasized into a doxxing forum for absolute weirdos.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aside from various inherent problems, Bitcoin tends to be like veganism or Crossfit - True Believers are insufferable.

Also, Buttcoin.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's a scam currency supported by crazy people and scammers to draw more crazy people in with the promise they'll be millionaires one day and whose primary use is for shady or illegal transactions like scams and drug sales.

SA has a special dislike of it from the extended campaigns to sink the price of it and troll dedicated followers in various ways. I think the Goldmined Bitcoin thread documents the point in it somewhere where YOSPOS hacked the Bitcoin forums and changed all mentions of "Bitcoin" to "Cosbycoin": https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928

Bitcoiners didn't take well to the trolling and tried various things like paying people to DDoS SA too:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/attack-of-bitcoins/

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Sep 29, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I still think about the phrase "and then it hit me ... bitcoin!" a couple times a month and laugh to myself.

If you know what that's from you get it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Still mad the dude who gave himself brain damage from sleeping in the way too hot bitcoin rig room was a fake story, although in 2020 there are probably some genuine unreported cases now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Still mad the dude who gave himself brain damage from sleeping in the way too hot bitcoin rig room was a fake story, although in 2020 there are probably some genuine unreported cases now

Those dried strawberries were real and I won't be convinced otherwise

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Heath posted:

Those dried strawberries were real and I won't be convinced otherwise

An enterprising grocer, and Bitcoin miner, from Canada has decided to put the waste-heat from his or her mining rig to good use and produced a product with it: dried strawberries. BetaBeat caught the news from a post on Reddit where a Redditor posted an image of some of the wrapped, dried strawberries now on sale at the local store for 1.5 BTC a bag (currently about $3.50).

Or, $16,000 in today money

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I stopped at a brand new gas station this past Friday and this loving thing was in there

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haha one of my grocery stores has a money machine that added a bitcoin logo this past year. Sadly I was too lazy to actually stop and figure out what's up with it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha one of my grocery stores has a money machine that added a bitcoin logo this past year. Sadly I was too lazy to actually stop and figure out what's up with it.

laundering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There was a Bitcoin ATM... Thing in a local coffee shop for a couple of months here, but it vanished suddenly and I never saw anybody using it. What's the purpose of a terminal if the whole thing is digital?