Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

in addition to how great he has been pitching, i should point out that yu darvish has incredible hair this season

Fly Young is a lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FlamingLiberal posted:

From what I have been hearing, a lot of player dev positions at the MLB level are getting axed this year

Teams gotta pretend they're broke somehow.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

franchises are 1. worth billions and 2. are unbearable financial burdens

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Teams gotta pretend they're broke somehow.
Yes and they are cutting multiple MiLB levels going into 2021 so that's more money they don't have to pay between the coaches and the players

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and they are cutting multiple MiLB levels going into 2021 so that's more money they don't have to pay between the coaches and the players

the money for an entire minor league team is less than they play like a slightly above replacement veteran

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nobody touched him after the Covid thing. I still haven't heard anything but I wonder if this might be it for him in the majors.

Put Puig on whatever Caribbean team Manny is running around with.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

in addition to how great he has been pitching, i should point out that yu darvish has incredible hair this season

They're clearly correlated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm obligated to root for me team and all but I'm secretly rooting for the Marlins for the lols and to justify that cap I bought a few years ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the money for an entire minor league team is less than they play like a slightly above replacement veteran
Yes especially at the short-season level which was a season that lasted from like June 28th-September 1st

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only non-Astros teams I wouldn't mumble sassafras over winning the World Series are Cleveland, San Diego, and Milwaukee.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really hate the idea of the Astros winning in part on account of this whole thing being silly but also because like the Astros sneaking into the playoffs with a below .500 record while their whole offense "slumped" and then chaos balling a win so the fanbase and players can pretend that somehow vindicates them would be kind of hilariously pathetic and make me feel a lot better as a Yankee fan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't really hate the idea of the Astros winning in part on account of this whole thing being silly but also because like the Astros sneaking into the playoffs with a below .500 record while their whole offense "slumped" and then chaos balling a win so the fanbase and players can pretend that somehow vindicates them would be kind of hilariously pathetic and make me feel a lot better as a Yankee fan.

This is all true but it would also make a whole lotta people mad, which is funny. :shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is all true but it would also make a whole lotta people mad, which is funny. :shrug:

I think the key for me is that like I might be a little salty and feel weird about that but then Correa or Bregman would say something obnoxious as gently caress and it would all feel right again. I have faith.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Acceptable
6) Cubs - There’s just so many cubsposters, it’ll bring us full circle to 2016 and hopefully end this bullshit era

:unsmith:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The Cubs winning in another election year is the thing nightmares are made of

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Johnny Bravo posted:

The Cubs winning in another election year is the thing nightmares are made of

What, it's not like Donald Trump is runn--oh. Oh no. :smith:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You guys started this and I will not accept the "maybe a second blow to the head will fix things" strategy. Nope, sorry. Not rooting for the Cubs.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know who got elected president in 1908? That’s right, a Republican.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe Cleveland needs to win this time, finally putting right what once went wrong, hoping that this leap will be the leap home.

“Frankie, Ziggy says there’s a 93% chance that if you don’t hit a dinger in your next AB Donald Trump will be re-elected!”

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros or Brewers winning it all would be very fitting for this stupid season.

Also, if it is the Astros, I will shamelessly argue that it is a legitimate title.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Go Rays, let me double dip in COVID titles.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

Also, if it is the Astros, I will shamelessly argue that it is a legitimate title.

Nobody would begrudge you this one if they went out and earned it.

2017 still has the asterisk though.

E: ok some still might, but a bullshit expanded playoffs entry is a lot easier to defend than outright cheating.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 29, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

You know who got elected president in 1908? That’s right, a Republican.

Cubs WS wins give us our girthiest presidents.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BlueJaysPBP/status/1310928065544028160

Jays back at full strength

:getin:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t want the Cubs to win because the Ricketts family are a bunch of Trump mega donors with the exception of I think one of them

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe Cleveland needs to win this time, finally putting right what once went wrong, hoping that this leap will be the leap home.

“Frankie, Ziggy says there’s a 93% chance that if you don’t hit a dinger in your next AB Donald Trump will be re-elected!”

the whole Bartman thing would've made for an amazing QL episode

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can’t believe Klentak hasn’t been fired yet

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1310959948239699969

Imagine making your MLB debut in the playoffs

Also important to note: Donaldson not on the roster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are now three players who could make their MLB debut in the postseason. Only two have ever previously done that in the history of baseball.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are now three players who could make their MLB debut in the postseason. Only two have ever previously done that in the history of baseball.

Was Mondesi one for KC in '14 or '15?

I get to go the Wild Card series this week! :toot:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was one of them K-Rod? I remember that being a thing but maybe not?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Not quite, he pitched 5.2 innings that September, which still made his 02 postseason pretty ridiculous

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

who are the other two for this year?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

the whole Bartman thing would've made for an amazing QL episode
"Sam, if the Cubs win this game they'll go on the win the World Series 13 years too soon and Donald Trump will never become President!"

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

k-spar posted:

If the Twins end up having Astudillo on the playoff roster, they will win it all. I feel it in my heart.

He's on. Twins taking it all, place your bets errybuddy

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

who are the other two for this year?

https://www.mlb.com/news/big-league-debuts-in-postseason

Astros and Rays also have debut players on their playoff rosters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs confirm Kyle for Game 1, Yu for Game 2, Lester for a potential Game 3.

Please dear god don't let it go to a Game 3.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

https://www.mlb.com/news/big-league-debuts-in-postseason

Astros and Rays also have debut players on their playoff rosters.

neat!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: The Brewers' highest fWAR from a pitcher this year was Yelich at 0.7

The Dodgers 8th best hitter by fWAR this year was their backup catcher Austin Barnes at 0.9

V: Brewers in 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wild Card Series GDT up