Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

"Part 4 is the best part in Jojo's."

Am I supposed to disagree with him? :v:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Can you spoil a cliff's notes of the main thrust because I'm not sure i want to watch 20 minutes on why someone doesn't like a thing

"Part 1 and 2 are okay, Part 3 was dull aside from everything after Pet Shop, Part 4 was peak Jojo, Part 5 was the worst, and Part 6 was okay but forgettable. Also, the fanbase is rabid and kinda killing my interest in going back with their continued insistence I read Part 7, which is supposedly the second coming of Jesus."

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Can you spoil a cliff's notes of the main thrust because I'm not sure i want to watch 20 minutes on why someone doesn't like a thing

• The characters have basically zero growth. Outside of Part 4, none of them change in any meaningful way from part beginning to part end.
  • The show in general has the same character archetypes: Calm cool guy, funny coward, and guy who likes to murder.
  • The writing of the series can be really bad, especially Part 5 as it introduces the villain far too late for you to care about him.
  • Giorno is a horrible Jojo and he and Bucciarati should just be one character.
  • Show has way too much filler and is just boring, particularly Part 3.
  • Outside of Part 4, the show in general has a difficult time balancing the wacky stuff and grounded stuff. And being honest for a show with "bizarre" in the name it really is much more bizarre compared to your average anime.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The summaries are extremely appreciated, thank you both! I don't really disagree with a lot of that, and the stuff i do disagree with i don't feel strongly enough to write a response, different strokes and all that.

This however:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Giorno is a horrible Jojo and he and Bucciarati should just be one character.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

What part 5 lacks in good plotting it makes up for in vibes

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

punk rebel ecks posted:

• The characters have basically zero growth. Outside of Part 4, none of them change in any meaningful way from part beginning to part end.

If only there was a Part he hasn't seen yet, possibly one the fans have been yelling at him to read...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, the fanbase is rabid and kinda killing my interest in going back with their continued insistence I read Part 7, which is supposedly the second coming of Jesus."

kinda just roll my eyes whenever a youtube person says something like this

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Augus posted:

kinda just roll my eyes whenever a youtube person says something like this

extremely funny choice of words tho

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

overmind2000 posted:

If only there was a Part he hasn't seen yet, possibly one the fans have been yelling at him to read...

Eh, the dude doesn't have an obligation to continue to follow something he's clearly not interested in.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'i read 3/4ths of a series but these fans just won't stop talking about it so i don't want to read one more part'

but realistically tho i don't care what it's about, youtube vids where it's just WHY I DON'T LIKE THING and has stuff like 'rant' in bold font in the preview image is like peak clickbait and i instinctively turn my nose up at it because i don't want to give it views

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Part 7, which is supposedly the second coming of Jesus."
I mean it is.

Funky Valentine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 29, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
My biggest problem with the series, and particularly Part 7, is how each chapter is essentially "Stand of the Week". It feels like a very strict formula, even if each encounter is unique.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

COUNTERPOINT: it’s good, actually

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

My biggest problem with the series, and particularly Part 7, is how each chapter is essentially "Stand of the Week". It feels like a very strict formula, even if each encounter is unique.

Part 7 is a weird example to use, since it has the most coherent overall plot of any of the Parts. But Part 3 in particular does mostly break down into individual fights without much development of the overall plot beyond the protagonists moving closer to Cairo and checking off tarot cards from the list, yeah. Part 4's plot structure is less rigid, and it has some developing plot threads (Akira taking the Arrow, Echoes getting stronger, Rohan's investigation to narrow down Kira's new identity, the sections focused on Kira himself), but a lot of it definitely consists of self-contained fights, and some of them (e.g., Let's Go Hunting) could be removed with no or very few changes to the overall plot. Part 5 has the superficial appearance of a complex plot, and there are actual plot developments toward the beginning and (in a less well-written way) the end, but if you look more closely you realize that a fair amount of the middle has basically the same plot structure as Part 3, just with a series of MacGuffins to move the protagonists around Italy instead of a single continuous journey.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Part 7 is a weird example to use, since it has the most coherent overall plot of any of the Parts. But Part 3 in particular does mostly break down into individual fights without much development of the overall plot beyond the protagonists moving closer to Cairo and checking off tarot cards from the list, yeah. Part 4's plot structure is less rigid, and it has some developing plot threads (Akira taking the Arrow, Echoes getting stronger, Rohan's investigation to narrow down Kira's new identity, the sections focused on Kira himself), but a lot of it definitely consists of self-contained fights, and some of them (e.g., Let's Go Hunting) could be removed with no or very few changes to the overall plot. Part 5 has the superficial appearance of a complex plot, and there are actual plot developments toward the beginning and (in a less well-written way) the end, but if you look more closely you realize that a fair amount of the middle has basically the same plot structure as Part 3, just with a series of MacGuffins to move the protagonists around Italy instead of a single continuous journey.

Not gonna lie, the Hunting episode is one of my favorites partly cause it’s pretty good, but mostly because it’s never gonna be hilarious to me that the dub VA for Josuke told his family and friends about the first character he did that was on TV and the episode they ended up getting together to hear him for was that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What I've learned is that there are a lot of people who come away from jojo, part 5 especially, not really understanding the importance of the stance against taking shortcuts and only wanting the results and being dismissive towards the journey itself and focusing too much on the end result.

e: in a way, Diavolo's entire train of thought matches very well with the various complaints about the series regarding its "filler" and the episodic monster-of-the-week style progression.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 29, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if Jojos, but it’s all just stands named after ABBA songs?

Fake edit - something something Mamma Mia something fukkin Cher

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Warbird posted:

What if Jojos, but it’s all just stands named after ABBA songs?

Fake edit - something something Mamma Mia something fukkin Cher

Part 4, but Killer Queen is called Dancing Queen, Sheer Heart Attack is Super Trouper, Bites the Dust is Our Last Summer

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I haven't quite finished part 5 as I'm sticking to the dub release schedule, but I like it a lot more than part 4, possibly more than any other part, and I have no idea why. I should like 4 the most, because it has a lot of breathing room and slice of life episodes, while part 5 is all tension all the time, but something about Giorno's adventure manages to hit a spot that Josuke's doesn't.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Comig Soon

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I still need to watch part 4 dubbed, I hear it is excellent (translated stand names notwithstanding)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FirstAidKite posted:

What I've learned is that there are a lot of people who come away from jojo, part 5 especially, not really understanding the importance of the stance against taking shortcuts and only wanting the results and being dismissive towards the journey itself and focusing too much on the end result.

e: in a way, Diavolo's entire train of thought matches very well with the various complaints about the series regarding its "filler" and the episodic monster-of-the-week style progression.
Is there an Italian mirror of TV Tropes?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

finally (choosing to believe this is the part 6 announcement)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Not gonna lie, the Hunting episode is one of my favorites partly cause it’s pretty good, but mostly because it’s never gonna be hilarious to me that the dub VA for Josuke told his family and friends about the first character he did that was on TV and the episode they ended up getting together to hear him for was that.
Doesn't it also develop the Josuke/Jotaro relationship? I liked that chapter and also the Jonathan/Josuke one you get later.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

Is there an Italian mirror of TV Tropes?

Not anymore, Illuso's dead

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

Not anymore, Illuso's dead

lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looking at all the Jojos next to each other makes Part 1/2’s jank budget interpretation of Araki’s art stand out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Part 2 looks fine though?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doesn't it also develop the Josuke/Jotaro relationship? I liked that chapter and also the Jonathan/Josuke one you get later.

That fight is great because a random rat manages to almost kill two main characters. It's funny how Hol Horse and Mista get mocked for their power being "Gun", but this rat uses it better than them both.

Also, yeah, Jotaro and Josuke hanging out was fun.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

To be fair, the rat's gun also turns people into goop, rather than causing just another flesh wound that is completely ignored if it wasn't a head or heart shot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Last Celebration posted:

Looking at all the Jojos next to each other makes Part 1/2’s jank budget interpretation of Araki’s art stand out.

multijoe posted:

Part 2 looks fine though?

parts 1 and 2 have a less animated but more visually distinctive style than later seasons frankly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cosmonaut is completely right about part 5 being a gigantic downgrade from part 4. Giorno sucks rear end and it's hard to care about characters when they're just running around from fight to fight. To too it off we get one of the worst final battles I've ever seen so we don't even get a memorable way to get around king crimson.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Weirdly, I think my favourite thing about Giorno is how much Abbaccio just loving hates him. They met thirty seconds ago and then Abbaccio starts radiating enough hostility to power Italy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought they already figured out how to get around king crimson and the final fight was more or less about figuring out how to get the arrow while baiting out Diavolo.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
There's a lot of bad in the final fight but I think the worst/dumbest thing is the reveal that SCR creates a mini-sun behind your head to create your own personal shadow and that someone could loving figure that out and counter it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Cosmonaut is completely right about part 5 being a gigantic downgrade from part 4. Giorno sucks rear end and it's hard to care about characters when they're just running around from fight to fight. To too it off we get one of the worst final battles I've ever seen so we don't even get a memorable way to get around king crimson.

I will contest that Giorno was interesting up until the fight with Sale ended. After that point, he basically just became :geno:, the Character.

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought they already figured out how to get around king crimson and the final fight was more or less about figuring out how to get the arrow while baiting out Diavolo.

At least three different characters figured out a shortcoming to King Crimson, including someone in the actual group. That said, King Crimson was so bullshit that they needed a literal "I win" button to actually beat him, so :shrug:.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

RubberLuffy posted:

There's a lot of bad in the final fight but I think the worst/dumbest thing is the reveal that SCR creates a mini-sun behind your head to create your own personal shadow and that someone could loving figure that out and counter it.

And this is all revealed and solved all within a few sentences.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I like part 5 more than part 4 and I think Giorno and Diavolo are great characters. Diavolo is my favorite looking character and the scene where he transforms is my favorite of all 5 parts. For me the rapid pace didn't really take away from anything and I felt like I got to know the main characters just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Boss was a fantastic character and conceit until like the requiem