Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've been reading this thread and I still don't get stuff, haha. Good movie I guess, like most I couldn't hear poo poo but I liked the exploding towers. And, the idea at the end of the red and blue team sharing intel by fighting the same things and hour apart is super awesome. Need to see again with subtitles.

Shame we had the same old Russian villain. I still have no idea why future armies wanted to destroy the world or how the reverse bullets work, but this is a Nolan movie so whatever.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

two friends who had seen this before me kept going on about how amazing it is for using only practical effects and "zero CGI" so i was mainly trying to pay attention to seeing how stuff was pulled off without any fuckery

it seemed so painfully obvious that characters were wearing masks that get all fogged up so you can't see their mouths just so you could have forwards dialogue while some extras are very obviously running backwards in the background of the shot, etc. the whole climax action scene felt like a poor version of some elaborate OK Go music video, although they would have probably done a better job at it

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So who thinks the Protagonist was actually the counterfeit art dealer, which no one had ever met? He had to get the woman in the correct circumstances to help not let the world end.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

So who thinks the Protagonist was actually the counterfeit art dealer, which no one had ever met? He had to get the woman in the correct circumstances to help not let the world end.

I think that's a massive leap, but there's no way to know either way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think Neil is also P after future whitening surgery

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
it’s that dna modification operation like in die another day

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Just came back from the cinema and really liked it! I decided I wanted to go in blind watching Nolan's next movie so I had no idea what the movie was about. I had seen 2 seconds from a trailer so I knew that some character was in a car at some point and I accidentally read the first three words of the synopsis which said "A secret agent" when buying tickets, so that's all I knew.

But man, it doesn't matter if you're in a bad-rear end Christopher Nolan movie, people running backwards still looks goofy.

Also watching it in a movie theatre that enforced that every second row was totally empty and there was a minimum of two empty seats between groups was great!

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 16, 2020

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
A suggestion, if you're interested with Tenet's overall theme of "time travel" you can find it, and more in focus, in this TV series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devs

I'm now writing about it, and it's quite good despite doing some of the same mistakes of Tenet.

Devs also has time travel, but you won't notice. The same premise applies. It will offer a slightly different perspective on the same thing, and it's really good as a series. It's not spectacular as Tenet, but written a lot better...

(it's also just 8 episodes and complete)

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 18, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had to travel over an hour to see this movie as there are no theaters in Portland that are open. There were 2 other people in the theater, we were all wearing masks, and all sat pretty far apart form each other.

The dialogue was kind of difficult to hear but this was an old theater so I'm not 100% sure if it was the mixing or the equipment (maybe both?). I forgot how nice the moviegoing experience was. No distractions, just you & the screen. There are a couple theaters in Portland that are renting out screens for private viewing and I'm trying to get a small group together to see some films.

As for Tenet... I liked it? It was a little confusing and the dialogue issues were present, but I felt a little clever figuring out that it was The Protagonist from the future at the Oslo Freeport. If you remember that the movie is about people going through time in reverse you start looking for the tells Neil grabbing the vehicle and trying to warn The Protagonist by honking the horn should've been obvious as soon as you heard the horn earlier.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
This movie was loud as gently caress, I really enjoyed the audio despite missing some bits of dialogue. The movie was bewildering yet exciting as you're trying to grasp wtf is going on. The character at the start saying "don't think about, just feel it" and the grandfather paradox are messages to the audience. Thinking about the details of inversion and the timeline makes it fall apart. Just enjoy the ride.

All that said I understand the criticisms of the movie and can't really disagree with them. I just think it's a cool movie. It reminds me of Primer in the way time travel (not time travel) works and how you can multiple versions of yourself running around at the same time

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Abalieno posted:

A suggestion, if you're interested with Tenet's overall theme of "time travel" you can find it, and more in focus, in this TV series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devs

I'm now writing about it, and it's quite good despite doing some of the same mistakes of Tenet.

Devs also has time travel, but you won't notice. The same premise applies. It will offer a slightly different perspective on the same thing, and it's really good as a series. It's not spectacular as Tenet, but written a lot better...

(it's also just 8 episodes and complete)

Westworld season 3 is also about determinism except its total garbage.

salt shakeup posted:

The character at the start saying "don't think about, just feel it" and the grandfather paradox are messages to the audience. Thinking about the details of inversion and the timeline makes it fall apart. Just enjoy the ride.
They do the same thing in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have higher expectations of Christopher Nolan, who comes up with the entire concept and all the rules around it.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 21, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This movie owned. It was so loving weird and just completely going for it. I loved it

salt shakeup posted:

This movie was loud as gently caress, I really enjoyed the audio despite missing some bits of dialogue. The movie was bewildering yet exciting as you're trying to grasp wtf is going on. The character at the start saying "don't think about, just feel it" and the grandfather paradox are messages to the audience. Thinking about the details of inversion and the timeline makes it fall apart. Just enjoy the ride.

All that said I understand the criticisms of the movie and can't really disagree with them. I just think it's a cool movie. It reminds me of Primer in the way time travel (not time travel) works and how you can multiple versions of yourself running around at the same time

Yes!! Once that line happened, I just decided to have faith in Nolan in delivering a sick ride.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I'm still completely confused about how the villain got the last piece of the algorithm. So he interrogates him, he says he stashed it in the glove box, he lied, but we never learn where he actually put it do we? Then the Protag inverts, goes back to the car chase, and then the piece like, flies out of the case into the villains car? It happened very quickly so I'm not too sure about the exact events and like a lot of moments in this movie I just shrugged and moved on without trying to think about it too hard, but I am still hung up on it.

I saw this at a drive-in theater with the sound coming through our car speakers and similar to what I've read from others, the music/sound effects drowned out the dialogue very frequently.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

according to everyone in this thread who through thought the movie "ruled" you're just not supposed to think about continuity or cohesion whatsoever. nolan smashed a plane into a building weeee!

e: words are hard

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 21, 2020

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

according to everyone in this thread who through the movie "ruled" you're just not supposed to think about continuity or cohesion whatsoever. nolan smashed a plane into a building weeee!
ya pretty much

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'm still completely confused about how the villain got the last piece of the algorithm. So he interrogates him, he says he stashed it in the glove box, he lied, but we never learn where he actually put it do we? Then the Protag inverts, goes back to the car chase, and then the piece like, flies out of the case into the villains car? It happened very quickly so I'm not too sure about the exact events and like a lot of moments in this movie I just shrugged and moved on without trying to think about it too hard, but I am still hung up on it.
It's very blink-and-you'll-miss-it: in the uninverted chase, the case gets thrown through or very close to the innocent bystander Saab (the silver car that is briefly sandwiched between P's and Sator's cars, then flips). It's at this point unknown to Sator if before throwing, P took the piece out or not, and that's what he wants to find out.

However, as we find out in the inverted chase, P is actually driving the Saab, and as the case gets thrown, it briefly opens, and the algorithm piece bounces out*, ending up inside the Saab. So the car flips with P and the piece inside. Then, Sator returns again, takes it and sets the Saab on fire, which puts P into hypothermia.

*honestly that's a very "haha okay" moment, very contrived

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

ya pretty much

It's very blink-and-you'll-miss-it: in the uninverted chase, the case gets thrown through or very close to the innocent bystander Saab (the silver car that is briefly sandwiched between P's and Sator's cars, then flips). It's at this point unknown to Sator if before throwing, P took the piece out or not, and that's what he wants to find out.

However, as we find out in the inverted chase, P is actually driving the Saab, and as the case gets thrown, it briefly opens, and the algorithm piece bounces out*, ending up inside the Saab. So the car flips with P and the piece inside. Then, Sator returns again, takes it and sets the Saab on fire, which puts P into hypothermia.

*honestly that's a very "haha okay" moment, very contrived

Okay yeah I guess I was just confused about the asterisk part. This helped.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The thread title was oddly accurate considering it's a reference to Devil May Cry 4 where the levels are replayed from end to beginning after the halfway mark. Due to finance/planning issues more than any sort of actual plan, however.

(Spoilers for game that came out in 2008)

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

according to everyone in this thread who through thought the movie "ruled" you're just not supposed to think about continuity or cohesion whatsoever. nolan smashed a plane into a building weeee!

e: words are hard

now let me list 20 paragraphs worth of reasons why this time travel movie does not work in real life and as such is complete trash for an intellectual like me,,,

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DeadlyHalibut posted:

now let me list 20 paragraphs worth of reasons why this time travel movie does not work in real life and as such is complete trash for an intellectual like me,,,

obvious troll but it just needs to work well enough in its own universe to support a good story, which it doesn't.
  • memento uses memory loss to support a great noir/thriller/revenge story

• inception uses dream layers to support a lackluster story about a heist

• tenet uses time reversal to tell an incomprehensible story about :confused: climate change??
christopher nolan has gone full louis ck and is forcing us to watch him jerk off

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

ShoogaSlim posted:

obvious troll but it just needs to work well enough in its own universe to support a good story, which it doesn't.

• tenet uses time reversal to tell an incomprehensible story about :confused: climate change??
christopher nolan has gone full louis ck and is forcing us to watch him jerk off

Christopher Nolan’s films were once very focused on the psychological self deception of the characters. Memento, The Prestige, Dark Knight Trilogy and Inception all for this.

Calling Inception a heist film completely ignores how much the film examines the conflict of giving in to a false reality.

Tenet’s story is complex, but the protagonist has almost no identity or personal conflict. He’s a cool guy without a name who is very skilled, unfazed by much, and has no personal goals other than complete the mission he was given.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

P tricks himself into doing the entire movie, including hiring someone to pull out his own teeth

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Simply Simon posted:

P tricks himself into doing the entire movie, including hiring someone to pull out his own teeth

I've decided that Tenet has Bill & Ted time travel rules. "Only the winners will be able to go back in time and change things." Then a garbage can falls on the tooth-puller's head.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ShoogaSlim posted:

tenet is just a james bond story with extra steps

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tenet (Christopher Nolan, 2020)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4JtRIECpG0

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Went and saw this just because there was nobody else at the theater (small town). I was the only person in TENET which kind of owned. I was pretty baked. It was kind of brilliant? But also had about it this incredibly sterile detachment and surreality of the mundane that made me feel like it was made by robots

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The score really gets you pumped up in this, my cinema chair was constantly reverberating with the bass. But the action fails to live up to how bombastic the music is. It's technically really impressive, but also weirdly uninteresting. Like the big set pieces all feel somewhat uninventive despite the gimmick.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's basically a video game

The mandatory stealth level was pretty lame to be honest

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I saw this last night and it totally peeled my mind grapes. Awesome film, exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. Well, except for the parts with the audio that I couldn't understand. But still, extremely satisfying and so drat thick, like a really cold milkshake. Totally scratched the itch for a cerebral action spy thriller. John David Washington owns. Left me thinking about all the different things in the movie long afterwards.

To nitpickers: Have fun at the movies, people. This movie is supposed to be fun.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

*Presses upgrade button

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcFpuK47egU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Simone Magus posted:

But also had about it this incredibly sterile detachment and surreality of the mundane that made me feel like it was made by robots
Nolan's big/impersonal movies often have the too-clean feel of a videogame that was shipped a little too early, so while all the scenery's there, the detailing that makes it look real is lacking. (The example I always think of is the alley in TDKR that's devoid of dirt or litter or grime despite having a frequently-used sewer access right there.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gotham city in TDKR looks like the Shader slider is set really low. I get that they wanted a clean, modern look but it kind of just felt plain and flat. I'm sure Chicago / NYC have sections that feel like that, but I don't really buy it for Gotham.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Besides the 1989 Tim Burton Batman the only other movie that captured the grime of Gotham City well was Joker.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Simone Magus posted:

It's basically a video game

The mandatory stealth level was pretty lame to be honest

This is the pithiest, most insightful thing anyone has ever said about this movie

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Not gonna lie when the reverse stuff happened, especially the "fighting himself" one I was legit like :aaa:

I watched a second time for free and that sequence is totally mental when you know what's happening. I can't wait for the bluray extras showing every step of that fight in detail

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Simone Magus posted:

Not gonna lie when the reverse stuff happened, especially the "fighting himself" one I was legit like :aaa:

I watched a second time for free and that sequence is totally mental when you know what's happening. I can't wait for the bluray extras showing every step of that fight in detail

I want to watch the airport scene again (where they go in) just to see what I can catch. Going to wait for the bluray/digital release and catch it there.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Rabelais D posted:

But the action fails to live up to how bombastic the music is. It's technically really impressive, but also weirdly uninteresting. Like the big set pieces all feel somewhat uninventive despite the gimmick.

This felt very apparent in the airport scene where there was this huge bombastic score to introduce the plane but the actual crash felt like a dud. Somehow Nolan managed to make the smaller scenes, like the fight in the kitchen or the bungee jump off the building and quick releasing the tethers as the protagonists blend into the crowdfeel more alive with energy then the huge reverse/forward battle at the end (maybe with the exception of that building). The reverse fighting also looked silly and was strangely inert for the time they dedicated to it. All the flips and reverse shooting took as much time as them just holding onto each others clothes and shuffling around awkwardly and falling into paintings.

The main character was probably Nolans least interesting and the dialogue was probably his worst yet. I would say that the horrid sound mixing was actually a blessing if it wasn't for the fact that an amazing amount of important plot info is obscured by overpowering score, characters wearing masks, accents or all of the above. I think the criticism was mostly blown out of proportion for Interstellar but in this movie it is absolutely a problem.

My biggest criticism of this movie is that he completely botched what should have been the heart of this movie, which was the relationship between the protagonist and Neil. The moment at the end, while well acted and containing some genuine pathos is unjustified by the rest of the movie where their interactions all feel weirdly truncated and where they have to compete with what's supposed to be emotional core of the movie: the horribly written characters of the antagonists wife and her boring conflict and motivation. One of the truly dumb lines of the movie is where the true world ending stakes are explained and Debicki's characters chimes in that they would also affect her son, just to remind us.

Big disappointment.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 4, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I very much agree on the emotional stuff. Here's what I put about it in another thread:

jase1 posted:

Tenet was the most confusing movie I have ever seen. Makes no loving sense and you can hear half the dialogue. The movie was shot beautifully and the action scenes are pretty cool but as far as plot and following along it’s a disaster.

I loved all of Nolan’s other movies so I’m not sure why this one turned out to be so bad.

Been thinking about this one and I think it's this: every earlier Nolan has a lead character with a compelling story. Guy Pearce in Memento, Leo in Inception, McConaughey in Interstellar all have fleshed out backgrounds. Tenet by it’s very nature of the story is telling you nothing about the protagonist. I get that’s the idea but it really hampers it for me. JDW does an excellent job and is very enjoyable, I don’t think he’s the issue, it’s the storytelling device Nolan uses in this.

Action scenes are great though, but it's far from an "action movie". It's a decent thriller I guess?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I could hear all the dialogue just fine

Is it only noticeably bad in IMAX or big theaters? I saw it in a "regular" small town theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I saw it in a small theater and I heard everything fine apart from the backwards conversation which was very noisy on purpose. The music mix was super loud but I suspect some people are conflating "didn't hear" with "didn't comprehend", although there is certainly some overlap there