Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That's so cool, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Imagine being able to travel back in time and asking, "What was the significance of this? Were you performing a hunting ritual?" And getting, "Huh? that was about this fart joke, you ever see those aurochs fart? Bwahaha!"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fartrunes from the Galdrabók, an Icelandic grimoire written sometime around 1600 though some of the pages were filled in as late as half a century later.

17th century Icelandic wizard posted:

Write these staves on white calfskin with your own blood taken from your thigh and speak:
'I carve 8 ás-runes, 9 nauð-runes, 13 þurs-runes, who will torment your body with evil diarrhea and sickness and all will torment your body with tremendous gas. May your foundations come loose, may your entrails burst, may your farts never end neither day nor night in until you're as apathetic as the fiend Loki who was bound by all the gods. In your mighty name master God, Spirit, Creator, Odin, Thor, saviour, Freyr, Freyja, Oper, Satan, Beelzebub, helper, mighty God you who protects your followers Uteos, Morss, Noht, Vitales...'

Aside from the flatulence it's interesting how even 600+ years after Christianisation you've got someone invoking the Norse gods and doing so in the same breath as both Satan and God in an act of amazing syncretism though perhaps they were just making sure all their bases were covered when trying to give someone magically induced consumption.

In 1656 Jón Jónsson the Younger was executed for casting fart runes on the priest's daughter. Amongst other things, he confessed to a whole laundry list of sorcery and by his decdbtly deep knowledge of runes revealed through his confessions it's likely that he did really dabble in the dark arts.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Sep 29, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dabbling in the dark farts

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fuckin hell yeah :cool:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Platystemon posted:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Platystemon posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This thread really highlights how majestic and cool humans are while also simultaneously being doofuses who love fart jokes and I appreciate all of this so much

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

lol

Mostly unrelated, but sometimes I think about the Norse Greenlandic settlers, and what it must have been like to be the last one of them alive.

We complain about global warming, but they would have been all over it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Mostly unrelated, but sometimes I think about the Norse Greenlandic settlers, and what it must have been like to be the last one of them alive.

Terminally hungry and cold.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's hella neat. Looks similar to the Cyprianus grimoires that were used in Denmark in the same period. Here the first & last pages from a much later one, entirely Christianized:

You were supposed to read it backwards, or evil spirits could trap you. There are many stories about a servant boy or girl who comes across a Cyprianus & accidentally reads some of it, and must be saved by the book's owner or someone else reading it backwards.

Platystemon posted:

:same:

Anyway, came to post this little figurine that was recently discovered in Boeslunde:

https://www.vestmuseum.dk/ark%E6ologi/unikt-fund-af-kvindefigur-i-s%F8lv?PID=3353&M=NewsV2&Action=1

Dated ca. 700–800s, it bears a resemblance to the Odin from Lejre that was found near the Viking stronghold Lejre (about 70 km from Boeslunde). Interestingly, though both are wearing womens' clothing, but have many characteristics of Odin, eg. the ravens on the seated figure, the differently sized eyes on the standing figure (one blinded). Is it Odin in disguise, or his wife Frigg?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

lol

The archaeological evidence suggest that they understood how hosed they were and left instead staying to the last man.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoaquimCampa/status/1311391615425093634

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That made me smile a lot

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I feel a bit sorry for the man who lost his hat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

La guerre

La guerre ne change jamais

e: That doesn't seem cromulent, anyone who knows French? I just copied it off Le Goog Translate.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Oct 2, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Brother, do I have the podcast for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbY-GrM8pI

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks! That looks interesting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

I feel a bit sorry for the man who lost his hat.

Don't feel too sorry. That man was Adolf Hitler.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Don't feel too sorry. That man was Adolf Hitler.

hitler wasnt old enough to wear a hat in 1896

but it was definitely his dad or his mom

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

In celebration of finishing my thesis, here's a picture most people have never and will never see: a woodcut print from the Ukiyoboro, an early 19th century Japanese comic-book in which a tricksy character gives a rather sullen character a bunch of magic mushrooms and makes them dance uncontrollably for shits and giggles.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congrats on your thesis! Are you graduating soon?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i will never graduate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Carthag Tuek posted:

i will never graduate

Said with the same intonation as someone who would never reveal the wu tang secret

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Graduation aint nothing to gently caress with.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

50's Copenhagen

Sign posted:

TUBERCULOSIS SURVEY

There is still 230857 elderly and young Copenhageners who has yet to be tested for tuberculosis.
Everyone born in 1933, 1932 or earlier now have a last chance to be tested at the station behind The Little Hornblower.

So far 15045 have showed up

The barracks is open weekdays 8-20
Saturday 8-16

Time is a flat circle etc.

The Little Hornblower is this guy

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In the same vein:

a newspaper in Augsburg, Bavaria from 1849 posted:

Paris, August 22nd. In Rochefort [in France] sad scenes happened on August 14th. The cholera appeared there so terribly that it reached the relatively high number of 21 victims per day, almost all of them from the lower classes. Thus the mad idea of poisonings spread, people attacked doctors and nurses and loudly yelled: "Cholera doesn't exist, it is an artificial, political disease!" On 14th the following poster appeared on the walls: "In the name of the French people! The state and military authorities hereby are warned that, if the cholera pandemic won't stop within 24 hours, the city will be punished by blood and fire." In the evening the authorities were compelled to dissolve gatherings of the frightened citizens by force of arms and impose a military curfew throughout the night.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ultra owns

That mustachiod man is putting in work

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

verbal enema posted:

ultra owns

That mustachiod man is putting in work

Bike dude trying cruise through the crossfire LMAO

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
An article I came across today that I felt was relevant to this thread:
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/history-colourisation-controversy?utm_source=pocket-newtab

quote:

YouTubers are upscaling the past to 4K. Historians want them to stop

The first time you see Denis Shiryaev’s videos, they feel pretty miraculous. You can walk through New York as it was in 1911, or ride on Wuppertal’s flying train at the turn of the 20th century, or witness the birth of the moving image in a Leeds garden in 1888.

Shiryaev’s YouTube channel is a showcase for his company Neural Love, based in Gdansk, Poland, which uses a combination of neural networks and algorithms to overhaul historic images. Some of the very earliest surviving film has been cleaned, unscuffed, repaired, colourised, stabilised, corrected to 60 frames per second and upscaled to vivid 4K resolution.

For viewers, it almost feels like time travel. “That is something that our clients and even the commenters on YouTube have pointed out consistently,” says Elizabeth Peck, one of Shiryaev’s colleagues at Neural Love. “It brings you more into that real-life feeling of, ‘I'm here watching someone do this’, whereas before you're looking more at something more artistic or cinematic.”

But these vivid videos and images haven’t wowed everyone. Digital upscalers and the millions who’ve watched their work on YouTube say they’re making the past relatable for viewers in 2020, but for some historians of art and image-making, modernising century-old archives brings a host of problems. Even adding colour to black and white photographs is hotly contested.

“The problem with colourisation is it leads people to just think about photographs as a kind of uncomplicated window onto the past, and that's not what photographs are,” says Emily Mark-FitzGerald, Associate Professor at University College Dublin’s School of Art History and Cultural Policy.

Peck says Neural Love makes clear to clients the huge difference the company sees between “the restoration aspect and the enhancement aspect”. They see the removal of scratches, noise, dust or other imperfections picked up during processing as a less ethically fraught process to upscaling and colourising. “You're really returning the film to its original state,” she says.

That’s not a view many academics hold, however. Luke McKernan, lead curator of news and moving images at the British Library, was particularly scathing about Peter Jackson’s 2018 World War One documentary They Shall Not Grow Old, which upscaled and colourised footage from the Western Front. Making the footage look more modern, he argued, undermined it. “It is a nonsense,” he wrote. “Colourisation does not bring us closer to the past; it increases the gap between now and then. It does not enable immediacy; it creates difference.”

The colours that suddenly flood into the streets of 1910s New York aren’t drawn from the celluloid itself; that information was never captured there. The extra frames added to smooth those New Yorkers’ 60 frame-a-second strolls are brand new too.

Neural Love uses several other manipulation programmes on its clips, slowly mending and finessing one stage at a time. To colourise its clips, it uses open source software DeOldify, whose developers Jason Antic and Dana Kelley are closing in on an all-purpose image restoration and colourising tool that would handle the whole process. “It's very painful, though,” says Kelley. “Lots of training and lots of failed experiments.”

For Mark-FitzGerald and other historians of photography tools like DeOldify and Neural Love might make pictures look amazing, but they risk obscuring the past rather than illuminating it. “Even as a photo historian, I look at them and think, oh, wow, that's quite an arresting image,” she says. “But always then my next impulse is to say, 'Well, why am I having that response? And what is the person who's made this intervention on the restoration actually doing? What information has this person added? What have they taken away?”

DeOldify and Neural Love, though, see their tools as a means of bridging the gap of understanding opened up by a century of technological advancement. Their tech is a means of making jerky, jittery images seem suddenly modern, but for historians, the distance between now and then is the whole point. “It’s the effort that creates the understanding,” McKernan writes. “Without that there is no true sympathy, only false sentiment. Film that looks like it was shot last week belongs only to last week.”

Peck compares Neural Love’s work to an installation at the Salvador Dali Museum in Florida which manipulates images of the artist to make him ask visitors for a selfie: “It's making something that's more palatable to a modern generation, which is used to interacting with media in a really different way.”

“We consider our work to be an adaptation of the original, similar to a modern take on Shakespeare or the translation of literature into another language,” Shiryaev adds via email. “The choices (or in this case, tech) involved with transforming the original have their own artistic merit, but the source content is still its own independent art form (and deserves to be experienced as such). Our work seeks to transform access to and awareness of the originals, not pose challenges to their authenticity or artistic merit.”

Antic and Kelley aren’t under any illusions that images treated by DeOldify will come out historically accurate, though their reservations are with the practicalities of training a neural network. Making sure colourised films are accurate is “a literally impossible problem,” Antic says. DeOldify uses modern images to train its AI on, he explains, “and we know that's a big weakness, because, amongst other things, it biases people to wearing blue jeans.”

Rather, they say, they’d prefer DeOldify to be used as a platform to get the time-consuming bits of colourising taken care of – buildings, trees, skies – before a professional, human colourist makes sure everything is informed by proper historical research.

Neural Love spells this out to clients who want video colourising and smoothing. “We're very clear about this: it's not historically accurate,” says Peck. “It's a neural network making a best guess estimation based on the vectors that are present in the film.”

To guard against anyone taking DeOldify’s images at face value, users have the option of leaving a watermark on any image they adapt with the software. However, as DeOldify is open source, many other developers using it don’t bother to add the watermark. “We can't control what the rest of the world does with it,” says Antic. “The best we can do is just try to be thought leaders of a sort.”

The original videos still exist, of course, and Shiryaev’s YouTube videos break down each step in the process of restoration so no-one could mistake them for originals. Kelley compares their work to reading transcribed diaries rather than the original illegible scrawl.

For historians though, there’s a gap between the limitations and compromises their software has, which Antic and Kelley are happy to acknowledge, and the assumptions that anyone bumping into the images on social media might make. Getting people interested is one thing, but Mark-FitzGerald says there’s a need to critically assess what you’re seeing rather than passively absorbing whatever comes onto your Twitter feed.

On the internet these images, she says, “come unmoored” from how and why they were made, and how and why they were changed. She has already had students submitting essays which include falsely colourised images without realising it. “There's something that's gained, but there's also something that's lost,” says Mark-FitzGerald. “And I think we need to have a conversation about what both of those things are.”

I'm no historian but I'd say that colorization and software like Deoldify can definitely have a positive impact on connecting audiences to the past. Making sure that viewers are aware that an image is colorized is important, of course. And there are definitely times where it has had a negative impact. I remember the series "World War One in Color" back in the early 2000s was panned by historians for being really off the mark in how they colored everything from skin tone and uniforms to what the weather looked like.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Photo-Academic: You can't do this without my input, you'll miss everything I have to say!

Computer: haha computer go brrrrr

E. To be serious for a bit;
While it without question is paramount to not make up lies about history, or get mislead of what actually was and how it came to be, these upscale videos can't be seriously accused of doing that.

Their point, is to remove the difference between film shot 150 years ago and a phone video shot 15 seconds ago - instinctively making the watcher see themselves reflected in their ancestors, to empathise with a million generations past, and maybe connect to humanity at large in the end. To put you in different shoes - shoes, standing somewhere where there's a different view - is a hell of a thing.

History is an incredibly large subject, and it has more dimensions than the cataloguing of facts*. The videos don't remove anything from the historical record. Anyone actually interested will learn like before, all the sources are still there. These things just add a new way to visualising this material. What self respecting historian would denounce these videos, just because it appeals to a more general audience who where mildly interested before?

Historians have always accused popular history as being to simplistic, and other historians have argued back, ad infinitum. It's academia, it's what they do. It's what keeps the field honest after all.

But saying upscaling is wrong? Come on. Its not revisionism or retouching historic documents and burning the originals, it's the equivalent of reducing jpeg compression artifacts most of the time. Let the blasphemy brigade go bother someone else this time.

People like the upscale videos, and you can too.

(*as much as any historic fact has ever, or can ever, be truly settled.)

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Oct 4, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would never, ever have found or seen that footage of that snowball fight if it hadn't become popular on twitter. Same with those other city tours that have been DeOldifyied. They're incredible and make me feel like I've stepped into a time machine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean I get saying "This could become dangerous if it's taken as accurate" but nobody's going to be studying this footage and assuming that it fully reflects reality and basing any views or works on it. It's a thing you watch and go "neat!"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Wasabi the J posted:

Bike dude trying cruise through the crossfire LMAO

The whole battle comes to a halt just to pelt the poo poo outta him and send him back the way he came sans hat lmaoooo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

La guerre

La guerre ne change jamais

e: That doesn't seem cromulent, anyone who knows French? I just copied it off Le Goog Translate.

That’s grammatically correct, but in french the famous quote is “la guerre ne meurt jamais” or “war never dies”

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

verbal enema posted:

The whole battle comes to a halt just to pelt the poo poo outta him and send him back the way he came sans hat lmaoooo
I went to look up the history of the bicycle and his bike is a fairly modern design with equal sized wheels, a diamond-ish frame, and a chain driven rear wheel. In 1896 that design was less than 10 years old and the pneumatic tire was also less than 10 years old. I think they are pneumatic tires, it's hard to tell.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

The archaeological evidence suggest that they understood how hosed they were and left instead staying to the last man.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were a few stubborn assholes who refused to get on the last boat, though.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

verbal enema posted:

“Tank operating without infantry support. Grozny, 1994 (colourised).”

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CannonFodder posted:

I went to look up the history of the bicycle and his bike is a fairly modern design with equal sized wheels, a diamond-ish frame, and a chain driven rear wheel. In 1896 that design was less than 10 years old and the pneumatic tire was also less than 10 years old. I think they are pneumatic tires, it's hard to tell.

goddamn!

Vindolanda posted:

“Tank operating without infantry support. Grozny, 1994 (colourised).”

lmao