Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Yeah if you think a few english speakers doing sneaky SCs and saying taiwan are a problem, you're missing the atrocious harassment and spam the nationalists are performing without restraint right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

motoh posted:

Yeah if you think a few english speakers doing sneaky SCs and saying taiwan are a problem, you're missing the atrocious harassment and spam the nationalists are performing without restraint right now.

two things can be bad

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frankly, if they remove chat outright, I’m not going to be sad. I watch streamers for the streamer, not the chat.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They need active moderation to stamp out spammers, its really the only way to take control of a streamers chat.

Some independent twitch streamers PAY their moderators for their jobs, a multimillion dollar company should do the bare minimum.

Those streamers also generally don't want their communities to be toxic cesspools and at the very least want people to help make interacting with chat less awful. Cover on the other hand aren't going to put money into something like community management that won't turn a profit and the people making the hiring decisions aren't the ones who have to deal with chat so they don't care about that side either.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Again, after scouting among hundreds of applicants and selecting the best of the bunch to create a new "generation" Cover corp doesn't even give them a nice PC to stream with. Expecting the company to do but the bare minimum is kinda silly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dire Lemming posted:

Those streamers also generally don't want their communities to be toxic cesspools and at the very least want people to help make interacting with chat less awful. Cover on the other hand aren't going to put money into something like community management that won't turn a profit and the people making the hiring decisions aren't the ones who have to deal with chat so they don't care about that side either.
They haven't really needed it until now, though. Hololive chat was just fine until all these drat English speakers showed up!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
they have paid moderation AND volunteer mods and their managers screen the super chats before they read them out now

im assuming the chats removed from the video itself because they cant delete spam without editing the video. the chat replay is still there to the side on all the videos i checked that were streamed in the past few hours that im subbed to

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the funniest thing about the whole word filter is that the superchat still shows Taiwan Dollars despite the word Taiwan being filtered.

Endorph posted:

the world where, justifiable or no, chinese nationalists have an insane amount of leverage over these people's livelihoods and safety

I'm trying to figure out what kind of leverage Chinese nationalists have over a Swedish(?) shark's safety

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of leverage Chinese nationalists have over a Swedish(?) shark's safety
nobody has ever been doxxed before

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Watching Gura play horror games is so delightful.

"Giant murderer approaches her"

Oh hi! You're a big boi aren't cha!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
like literally kiara says “manager says im okay to read superchats now” and flare is doing a stream just thanking donations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WIxmh4frzI

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Mulderman posted:

Watching Gura play horror games is so delightful.

"Giant murderer approaches her"

Oh hi! You're a big boi aren't cha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-QHwbFvPI

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Reclines Obesily posted:

their managers screen the super chats before they read them out now

Well, that's good. I take it this was a recent change after Mori's superchat storm had some haha racism posts in there?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Frankly, if they remove chat outright, I’m not going to be sad. I watch streamers for the streamer, not the chat.

you understand that the chat and thus the superchats is the entire money-making apparatus, right? it's the whole business?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Patware posted:

you understand that the chat and thus the superchats is the entire money-making apparatus, right? it's the whole business?

I never said they would do that. Not even Cover's that stupid. I said I wouldn't be upset.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if they removed the chat the streamers would all lose their jobs, i'd be pretty upset about that

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Brunom1 posted:

Well, that's good. I take it this was a recent change after Mori's superchat storm had some haha racism posts in there?

yes

Patware posted:

yeah chats going nowhere, at worst youll see members only chat which is what alot of twitch streamers do when chat goes nuts about something (twitch chat is 10x faster than youtube chat)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The chat interaction is really important for the viewers, it's what lets you feel connected to the character.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Reclines Obesily posted:

yeah chats going nowhere, at worst youll see members only chat which is what alot of twitch streamers do when chat goes nuts about something (twitch chat is 10x faster than youtube chat)

does youtube have that functionality? i don't think i've seen members only chat as opposed to just a whole members only stream

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They have it. Coco did it for a couple streams.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Patware posted:

does youtube have that functionality? i don't think i've seen members only chat as opposed to just a whole members only stream

yep, youtube chat culture is different than twitchs so its not needed as much. basically youtube doesnt have any good emotes to spam so the chats slower

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I only watch Twitch in fullscreen mode, and every time I've loaded up the chat my eyeballs roll out of my skull. Youtube hasn't been any different.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

The chat interaction is really important for the viewers, it's what lets you feel connected to the character.
On top of that, Pekora without her chat would be like half a manzai act. She wouldn't be the same without anyone there to hit her with a paper fan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Reclines Obesily posted:

basically youtube doesnt have any good emotes to spam so the chats slower

https://twitter.com/Teriibol/status/1243297722746023936

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

meanwhile, our son is in the water section of Inside and he's very scared of the deep sea

he's doing his best

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/JerkyJin/status/1310551511760429056?s=20

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

nielsm posted:

i just like it when the dog makes noises

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Patware posted:

if they removed the chat the streamers would all lose their jobs, i'd be pretty upset about that

Yeah, chat is the lifeblood of streaming as a business. Beyond the obvious cash influx like superchat donations and memberships, building your popular brand as a streamer is heavily tied into interacting with your streamers and developing a semi-personal connection, which helps drive popularity growth. Chat interactions also help develop the streamer's character and personality for the viewer - a big example of Pekora, who has a huge bit about being a bossy arrogant jerk to her viewers and then the moment she gets into a competitive game with them they generally knock her flat while she whines about it. This isn't just a vtuber thing - there's plenty of regular-rear end streamers who grow and thrive heavily on viewer interaction.

The main persistent outcome of this I see happening is chat being removed from being visible on stream so bad actors can't contaminate a VOD(and a lot of vtubers seem to already be doing this), but chat and the chat interactions are 1000% there to stay because the entire industry is founded on them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

nielsm posted:

In 1½ hour you can also experience Pikamee drunk, for the first time on stream. (Unknown if this is her first time drinking alcohol at all.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG5D7uf3fzQ

This is going now. It's not her first time drinking, but it is her first time getting drunk on stream. She finished her first beer, and is now on to a Maker's Mark bourbon whisky.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Was there any concrete confirmation that there was some sort of emergency meeting planned, or was that purely speculation?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Was there any concrete confirmation that there was some sort of emergency meeting planned, or was that purely speculation?
There have been streams going all night, so if they're supposed to be in a meeting, don't tell their managers.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Patware posted:

meanwhile, our son is in the water section of Inside and he's very scared of the deep sea

he's doing his best

Speaking of water sections, as is kind of a tradition at this point, Gwelu Os Gar has once again invited a lineup of guests (Kanda, Hoshikawa, Mirei) for a chat and a nice cooling bout in that most grand and famous game of kings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Tg7c8jlig

Underwater Mario Kart.

And uncomfortably loud as always.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 29, 2020

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Suisei seems to be taking things in strides.
https://twitter.com/suisei_hosimati/status/1310865720431882242?s=19

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I assume this means YouTube have to send her three golden play buttons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no underworld internet

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Gura and Watson having their own conversation as Calli freaks out about tech issues is great

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Mori's computer is definitely going to explode at some point during this

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Pikamee and Calli drinking stream collab when?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's not a holoen stream without someone rolling a 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh no Calli's computer is literally too slow to host a collab