Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Kvlt!, join us in the October Challenge thread! We're waiting for you!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941760

Ditto for everyone else who hasn't jumped in yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just watched Cure and I'll be doing a write up in the challenge thread soon but for now: holy loving poo poo. That's how you do a spooky thriller.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

everyone add Knife + Heart to your lists i gave it a rewatch and its even better the second time around its honestly the only movie ive seen that feels like a modern giallo its excellent

yeah it’s on my list to rewatch this month, I absolutely loved it. You’re right, it feels like an actual modern giallo, instead of something like Amer that’s more of a pastiche or homage

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Darthemed posted:

If Kvlt! posts, I will earnestly try to see how close I can come to my highest view challenge count.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
If Kvlt! Posts, he'll have to actually watch movies and review them. It'll never happen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckula posted:

I've treated myself to a 4K upgrade for October.

What are some good 4K transfers/restorations available on streaming?

Streaming won't give you a whole lot. You'll want to get a UHD player and a copy of The Shining.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Prime has 4k versions of The Purge Anarchy, District 9, Jurassic Park, The Cabin in the Woods.

Netflix has both Babysitter movies, The Perfection, Apostle, Annihilation, Gerald's Game, Christine, Hold the Dark, 1922, The Haunting of Hill House (series), In the Tall Grass, I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 29, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not certain if Tim Burton actually "fell" or if he just stopped surrounding himself with other, more talented artists.

Maybe. Though I still really like his student film Vincent. I guess you can argue that Price’s voice adds a lot but it’s still as pure Burton as you can get:

https://youtu.be/8LNzJKHR3yM

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

i have arrived

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Holy poo poo The Loved Ones

I went in blind and had no idea what to expect and was pretty blown away.

I watched it last night because of this post and :hellyeah:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched it last night because of this post and :hellyeah:

Hell yes.

My only criticism of Sean Byrne is his slow output. If you slept on Devils Candy, check that one out too.

Loved Ones, imo, is as perfect a horror movie as I can imagine. If anyone ever wanted to zero in on my exact taste in horror, it's that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Loved Ones is sinfully underappreciated. I recommend it to people every chance I get.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1310970869238444033?s=20

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I want to watch some Horror movies with my girlfriend this October, but she's not that into movies, and especially weak to horror movies. She likes Alien for some reason, but I need some horror movies that are neither gory nor particularly scary, yet good. Halloween theme might be nice too. Any suggestions? I was thinking Trick'r'Treat and Black Christmas but it's been a while since I saw either of those...

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

thotsky posted:

I want to watch some Horror movies with my girlfriend this October, but she's not that into movies, and especially weak to horror movies. She likes Alien for some reason, but I need some horror movies that are neither gory nor particularly scary, yet good. Halloween theme might be nice too. Any suggestions? I was thinking Trick'r'Treat and Black Christmas but it's been a while since I saw either of those...

for recent movies i have had success showing 'doctor sleep' and 'ready or not' to non-horror fans.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don’t know how I feel about The Craft Legacy trailer.

Except I’m now completely over the spooky slowed down pop song trend. Usually works for me, but between this and the stand trailer seems it’s just getting lazier and lazier.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ready or Not is a great pick. I'd go with You're Next, Ginger Snaps and maybe The Endless or Spring too.

I really don't know how to pick for someone who "doesn't like movies" though. That's like someone who doesn't like music to me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Ready or Not is so drat fun

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm stoked for it, good or bad. Gimme more witch-y movies.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ambitious Spider posted:

I wasn't prepared for it to be so Lisa Frank sparkly, it looks like it could be fun.

e: This isn't movie related, but it may be of interest to people. Dragula is coming to Shudder! Hook that spooky horror drag up to my veins

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2020

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

thotsky posted:

Tremors

Not sure if this will get some groans ITT but 1999's The Mummy is the same kind of fun and undemanding imo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Not sure if this will get some groans ITT but 1999's The Mummy is the same kind of fun and undemanding imo

Around here we support and cherish the work of Stephen Sommers.

Van Helsing is pretty good too btw.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/1310972856461746176?s=20
https://twitter.com/blumhouse/status/1310973016378093574?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 29, 2020

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Van Helsing is pretty good too btw.

THANK YOU. I thought I was the only one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is it a remake or a sequel

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Yes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

A sequel the trailer shows them finding a picture of Balk's character in their Craft book

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The trailer was ok to meh. no real desire to see it until it hits netflix or something.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

XIII posted:

THANK YOU. I thought I was the only one.

I earnestly believe that there’s a great 90 minute movie in its 130 minute run time. I’m always jazzed when I start it but the middle just draaaaags.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dorium posted:

The trailer was ok to meh. no real desire to see it until it hits netflix or something.

Yeah, I'm getting the same vibe. I'll wait for it to be free streaming somewhere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

I earnestly believe that there’s a great 90 minute movie in its 130 minute run time. I’m always jazzed when I start it but the middle just draaaaags.

Yea that's the main issue I do have with it. If it could've been trimmed down by like 30 minutes it'd would've been 1000% better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Van Helsing is silly good fun , but the CGI in it has not aged well. That's the only problem I have with it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://youtu.be/G9gZcErclAU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Van Helsing is silly good fun , but the CGI in it has not aged well. That's the only problem I have with it.

You know what has aged well...Kate Beckinsale. Like, drat.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Dragula is coming to Shudder!

:toot:
I am very excited by this news.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I unironically like all of the Underworld and Resident Evil movies. Ask me anything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I unironically like all of the Underworld and Resident Evil movies. Ask me anything.

Without looking it up, name the Resident Evil movies in order.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Without looking it up, name the Resident Evil movies in order.

Resident Evil 1 , 2 ,3 ,4 ,5 ,6

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

:hfive:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Hey wait a minute

what about the cg ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Hey. The Night of the Hunter owns a lot

That is all