Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Scan are showing that their expected shipment of MSI cards for this week are delayed to the 14th-16th. The EVGA cards they were expecting this week have been delayed to 7th-9th.

Their twitter account is saying that the EVGA cards are delayed due to POSCAPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Now let's see the POSCAPs soldered on top of the MLCC arrays.

You can actually buy pre-stacked MLCCs on Mouser if you want a neater solution.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

jisforjosh posted:

Doesn't China have some national week+ long holiday starting this week that's going to absolutely murder production output?

I might be misremembering or misunderstanding an offhand gamersnexus comment but my understanding is that early October is also when cards shipped by sea freight should be arriving in the states? Which should be a much higher supply of cards than air shipping.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It smells like Jensen's leather jacket

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
YcapPOScap

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonna stay up late tonight hoping for another midnight restock on Nvidia

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
RTings and TFTCentral do good monitor reviews, and other sources are getting better over time, but a review is not enough to know if a monitor may have other issues. "Go to the monitor thread" and "Don't rush to buy new products unless you're OK with serious disappointment" are the correct answers. There are thousands of products you should definitely not buy, a moderate number you might consider, and a small number that are "this fits your niche, just buy it".

Non-gaming monitors are different, you can pretty much buy any 1080p or 4k IPS or VA monitor with decent reviews on Amazon and you'll be fine.

While the long chinese holidays are usually a non-issue, I could possibly see a bit of disruption happening right now if manufacturers (who of course were planning ahead for the holiday) experienced delays because of hardware redesigns.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Paul MaudDib posted:

G-sync is fine and I've never experienced any of the "line" issues across four different G-sync monitors (including one that was supposedly known to do it).

There is also no real reason to actively seek out native G-sync over Gsync Compatible or Native GSync anymore.

Monitors with Gsync modules have variable overdrive settings to provide a better image with less overshoot across the entire refresh range, and many (though not all) also support ULMB. ULMB doesn't always have the best tuning, but out of the box it tends to look and perform better than most other monitors that have backlight strobing. Variable overdrive isn't part of the freesync spec, and it matters if you can't consistently get framerates that match whatever your monitor had its overdrive tuned for (usually higher refresh rates)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Xaris posted:

Just FYI i had this problem and had to completely uninstall my drivers/geforce-experience, restart, downloaded latest beta-drivers and turned it on and it worked. sounds like just a reinstlal fixed it for you though but that didnt work for me, so i had to do the uninstall -> reinstall route.
I had to do this as well to be clear, a reinstall did not cut it. I had to uninstall, reboot, install.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

K8.0 posted:

RTings and TFTCentral do good monitor reviews, and other sources are getting better over time, but a review is not enough to know if a monitor may have other issues. "Go to the monitor thread" and "Don't rush to buy new products unless you're OK with serious disappointment" are the correct answers. There are thousands of products you should definitely not buy, a moderate number you might consider, and a small number that are "this fits your niche, just buy it".

Agreed. TFTCentral is just so far beyond basically anyone else in putting the effort into producing thorough, exhaustive, technically detailed reviews that it's not even funny. The downside being that, of course, they don't review nearly as many monitors because of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Does any site do comprehensive tests of VRR capabilities? How am I supposed to know that a monitor doesn't just skip frames occasionally?

As a layman the Freesync stuff just looks like a minefield.

you just get yourself an LG 34GK950F, the best monitor there is, and quit worrying about it.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Anyone notice their 3080FE loud as hell? It’s probably because I’m used to my ASUS 1070 that I never ever heard, even during full load, but I got to try it for the first time last night for 45 min or so (Playing Control, everything maxed) and it would kick the fans up to what I assume was 100% quite often and I could even hear it through my headset.

Should I try to undervolt it a bit just to give it some leeway? It never got above 71 C and Control was running at about 120fps (@ 1440p with DLSS) with absolutely everything maxed so I don’t mind losing a tiny bit of performance.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

you just get yourself an LG 34GK950F, the best monitor there is, and quit worrying about it.

i really want this stupid monitor but it's way less pixels than a comparable 4k for a higher price :v:

also HDR400 IPS lol, when are we getting affordable oleds that don't burn in :(

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The HDR is really bad and unusable with the LG, but other than that it's pretty awesome.

DarkestLite posted:

Anyone notice their 3080FE loud as hell? It’s probably because I’m used to my ASUS 1070 that I never ever heard, even during full load, but I got to try it for the first time last night for 45 min or so (Playing Control, everything maxed) and it would kick the fans up to what I assume was 100% quite often and I could even hear it through my headset.
Compared to my Gigabyte 1080 TI, it's really quiet, so I'm pretty happy with the noise so far. Played some BFV and barely heard it.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2020

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I bought my XB270HU 5 years ago specifically because of ULMB. I realized later how good G-sync was for more demanding games. I'm happy with it and won't upgrade until it breaks or I can get a monitor that can compete with my C9 (lol).

I just hope VRR on the C9 actually works well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

i really want this stupid monitor but it's way less pixels than a comparable 4k for a higher price :v:

Yeah but... 21:9 owns way more than 4K. It's functionally way more useful in any FPS game, and movies are a perfect fit too.

If there was a 4K monitor with the option to black out the top third of the screen and drop the image down to present to the PC as a 21:9 then I'd totally buy one if it were cheaper, but I don't think anyone has done that feature in hardware nor is there a not completely jank software solution.

quote:

also HDR400 IPS lol, when are we getting affordable oleds that don't burn in :(

Same time we're getting a gsync LED projector over 2000 lumens: never because it would be too good and useful

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda surprised nothing’s come out that’s an obvious upgrade over my XB271HU and I’ve had that for a while

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

victrix posted:

Ultrawide peeps, what's your opinion on it if you've been using it for a few years?

Using an Acer X34 + Korean 27" since March 2017 and it's been sick. I want to upgrade my GTX 1080 Ti because I want the shinies and 100Hz but that's a personal problem.

Games:
Ultrawide feels great and while support is better than ever you may have to get out the text editor/game console or just run pillarbox/windowed. Check places like https://www.wsgf.com for your favorite titles if this is important.

Productivity:
Got an app called WinDock that lets me set custom window snap zones that lets me do things like make the bottom edge snap windows into 3 equal columns. This feels mandatory but it massively improves usability to the point of being superior.

Nth'ing everything about RTings/TFTCentral and not rushing. The only thing I can't recommend is a 1080p ultrawide. The benefit of UW is having vision spanning size with a good view distance and usable resolution and that wasn't it for me.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

DarkestLite posted:

Should I try to undervolt it a bit just to give it some leeway? It never got above 71 C and Control was running at about 120fps (@ 1440p with DLSS) with absolutely everything maxed so I don’t mind losing a tiny bit of performance.
what's the fan on top of your case setup to do?

shrike82 posted:

Kinda surprised nothing’s come out that’s an obvious upgrade over my XB271HU and I’ve had that for a while
i have the 4k60 variant and it's still going strong

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

My 2070 had used three screws but this 3090 only uses two and instead of just making it three they want the weird lipstick poking out. Strange choices EVGA

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Hm I guess someone must have heard that Nvidia was restocking FEs today because their site is currently making GBS threads itself.

It's been like that for literally... 21 hours now I think

Also there's no restock

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but... 21:9 owns way more than 4K. It's functionally way more useful in any FPS game, and movies are a perfect fit too.

i don't really watch movies, and only play fps occasionaly, but extra desktop realeaste on this 4k loaner i have has been amazing so far..

if it was priced between a 2k and a 4k monitor i'd go for it but at 900 bux, i'll wait for a good high refresh 4k

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been running a Dell U3415W for probably... 3 years now? It's been a great monitor.

Only real downside is that it's 60hz and next monitor will be faster, but for the resolution and size I quite like 21:9 curved.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

what's the fan on top of your case setup to do?

Top is exhaust.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rusty posted:

The HDR is really bad and unusable with the LG, but other than that it's pretty awesome.
Compared to my Gigabyte 1080 TI, it's really quiet, so I'm pretty happy with the noise so far. Played some BFV and barely heard it.

Which Gigabyte 1080Ti do you have?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sininu posted:

Which Gigabyte 1080Ti do you have?
This one, it's really loud:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD#kf

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Kelly cartoon with an Honest, Hardworking Gamer's GPU fan overpowering the sounds of his nagging wife and workplace responsibilities.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hah, I got 2070 Super with the almost the same cooler. It's often called to be one of the quietest coolers out there yet I found it annoyingly loud as well.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

XB271HU crew checking in, Best Buy had a steal on refurbished models like a year ago.

Staples has the hook up right now.

https://www.staples.com/acer-predat...agaAoKZEALw_wcB

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

34" 144 Hz ultrawide / 38" 165 Hz ultrawide are the big ones that come to mind. Or an OLED TV.

but yeah I mean the 34" ultrawides are $600-700 and the 38" and OLED are "lol how much you got" territory. It is kinda disgusting that for the price things haven't really changed in years, Nixeus EDG 27 and Acer XF270HU IPS has been out for a long time now and basically nothing has significantly improved on that price/quality offering for a long time.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spunkshui posted:

XB271HU crew checking in, Best Buy had a steal on refurbished models like a year ago.

Staples has the hook up right now.

https://www.staples.com/acer-predat...agaAoKZEALw_wcB

and see, this is why we tell you not to just buy from random places but instead to ask the thread for whatever the relevant deals are at the moment.

cause that's the TN version of the XB271HU, the IPS is XB271HU bmiprz, but that TN is the XB271HU abmiprz, cause Acer hates their customers. There's just too many little gotchas, if you haven't spent a month meditating on the farthest stand to understand the Arcane Secrets of the Ancient Monitor Gods then it's best just to ask for the Thread Approved Deal Of The Week (tm).

That's a bad deal, you're getting a refurb Acer TN, for the same amount you could get a new LG 27GL83A IPS panel.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 29, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Theophany posted:

Absolutely, though my laser printer determines toner cartridge capacity by how many pages have been printed since the cartridge was last replaced, which means it encourages you to bin perfectly good cartridges unless you get into the secret menu and reset the print count for each cartridge. They're all robbing bastards! :v:

Wow, what manufacturer?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Out of the box my time spy got a 74% better score going from a 2070 non-super to this 3090. I'm guessing this 3600 needs to get replaced soon ha.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My EVGA 1080ti Black SC2 gets super loud when it's cranked too. Only a few games do it though, Far Cry 5/New Dawn and FS2020. Everything else is pretty decent.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Warmachine posted:

It smells like Jensen's leather jacket

You got a bum card. It should smell like spatulas. Send it to me.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Same problem with the last 2 driver packages. Did a clean install as well, update check never finishes.

Edit: Yeah googling says a full re-install is necessary, gently caress.

Updating drivers through that app has always been wonky as hell, just download the installer manually when you see a new version is ready.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Got my 3090 installed and it's a complete mess. G-Sync not working on my CX is the least of my problems. The input just completely cuts out at random and there's nothing I can do to restore it other than hard resetting the computer. Sometimes it boots back at 4k resolution, sometimes it decides 640x480 is good enough, all times it's only temporary before it shits the bed again. I have no idea how to even begin diagnosing the issue, let alone fixing it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

DarkestLite posted:

Top is exhaust.
you're better off removing it and sealing the top, it's taking most of the cold air from the top front intake and exhausting it before the air has taken any heat from the cpu or gpu. here's a half-assed mspaint of airflow if i'm reading your fan layout correctly:

there'll be radiant heat off of the back of the gpu, and obviously the gpu fans are more a guess. the thermodynamics of it are more complicated at load and really depend on the pressure each card has internally but there's a lot of wasted potential there. you're effectively competing with the cpu cooler getting any cold air with that exhaust top setup, and the exhaust is situated much closer to the intakes as well.

as far as the gpu goes you might be in an awkward spot with the dead zone from the intake fans not giving the card direct coverage - but it should be fine in they're not all set to the lowest rpm. if you're setting a custom curve set the exhaust a bit more aggressively as it's doing the heavy lifting of removing heat, the intakes are more bring cold air in and will be competing with each other. what's the front of the case look like for clearance? where are those front fans getting air?

is this the stock fan configuration?
e: wait a second what's that second pci-e card sitting directly under the gpu? that won't be helping matters

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 29, 2020

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you're better off removing it and sealing the top,

I have a fan there, except as an intake with a dust filter. "Heat rises" is irrelevant inside a case with that many fans, so you might as well use that fan as an intake and make your case hilariously positive pressure (3 in, 1 out) or just adjust the fan curves and get lower noise. I wouldn't buy a fan for this, but you might as well use it since you have it.

e: vvv That's the more sensible option, but seal the front of the top then.

Vir fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

You could also move it to behind the cpu cooler as exhaust