Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I started a new game and got a single S Scanner upgrade early on and flew to a planet in my starting system intending to spend some time scanning for a little boost in units. The planet had Salvagable Scrap, which wasn't a thing the last time I fired up NMS. I found literally 3 pieces of scrap and scanned whatever animals wandered by and I made 4 million units in about 10 minutes. Tonight I'm going to empty my suit and ship inventory, turn on a podcast, and spend a couple of hours cleaning that planet out of every piece of scrap I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
To those on the fence about jumping back into No Man's Sky, here's your answer:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
After all this time they have allowed you to remap every key you want.
Except for exocraft which can still only be controlled with W and S + mouse.

I use ESDF for everything so when I get in one I instantly get back out because E is the exit key.
Also the Exocraft are all still pretty much useless because its just easier to hop in your ship anyway.

I did get to meet and ride these 2 guys though. Have never seen them before.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 30, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i mined a rock and it jumped up on legs and ran away

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
god why can't there be cross-saves in this it's so annoying!!!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

EBB posted:

The RNG was kind today. 8.3 million.

Do all exotics have that ball?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Three of them do, the squid exotic doesn't.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Starship_Catalogue_-_Exotic

I currently have a Royal and a Squid in my collection. It's expensive upgrading the inventory slots in them which is why I'm diversifying into making stasis chambers.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
did they ever fix the problem with recoloring your freighter, where it wouldnt work on the big freighters?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I finally stumbled across the cube in the middle of the anomaly being how you start missions for quicksilver. For today it's building a base. Cool, I think I can do that solo. It looks like it even gave me access to construction recipes I hadn't unlocked yet.

Game: build the base on this mechanical planet
Me: ok sure
Game: construct six biofuel reactors and fuel them
Me: you motherfucker

E: after I finally scrounged up enough carbon and got it finished, the game crashed as I landed at the anomaly and ate the mission before I could turn it in.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 30, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A patch has just dropped, fixes some of the issues introduced in Origins including power hotspots not giving enough power for their grade.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/09/origins-patch-3-02/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So I bought coordinates to a crashed freighter and had to back off planet to get supplies to fix the cargo pods. How do I find the stupid thing again? It looks like the coordinates/quests got wiped as soon as I took off.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coming back to this after playing at launch, it feels like a much-improved experience! Being able to skip the milestone letterboxing is monumental.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

EBB posted:

The RNG was kind today. 8.3 million.

I jumped into a multiplayer game last night and, after doing a mission to defend a freighter, landed on it to try and purchase it. It was way out of my price range (178 million when I only had like 30 million), but while heading back out into the docking bay I saw a weird ship that I hadn't seen before. Checking it out, turns out it was the Squid exotic in the list and I immediately purchase it for 9.8 million :dance:

Then my game crashed when I tried to enter the map screen to find the planet another dude I was helping and I started back in my own system without it :downs:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

After getting a new nexus mission for planetary analysis, the game was kind enough to spot me the recipe and mats for a survey scanner. It turns out my original base is about 400 meters from an electrical hotspot in one direction and 200 meters from a mining hotspot (which is underwater) in the other. Is that a bit too far away to run power to, or in the annoying-but-manageable range?

Also the survey scanner doesn't seem to be very good at helping you find the hotspots again once you've located them. Is there a better way to do it other than dropping a deployable beacon to mark it?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Is there any way to have all my ships hang out at my base? Assuming I have enough landing pads, that is. Having them hang out in the freighter is kinda meh :( I built enough landing pads but I just get NPCs showing up.

Also, how can I change the teleporter thumbnail image for my base? I've tried taking a new base screenshot and uploading but it never changes. It's stuck on some ages old picture.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I jumped into a multiplayer game last night and, after doing a mission to defend a freighter, landed on it to try and purchase it. It was way out of my price range (178 million when I only had like 30 million), but while heading back out into the docking bay I saw a weird ship that I hadn't seen before. Checking it out, turns out it was the Squid exotic in the list and I immediately purchase it for 9.8 million :dance:

Then my game crashed when I tried to enter the map screen to find the planet another dude I was helping and I started back in my own system without it :downs:

I have the location for a squid you can salvage if you want it.

The left one is the ship, the other one is a multi-tool iirc. I don't remember if they are both euclid but I think so.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Casu Marzu posted:

So I bought coordinates to a crashed freighter and had to back off planet to get supplies to fix the cargo pods. How do I find the stupid thing again? It looks like the coordinates/quests got wiped as soon as I took off.

Unless it’s part of a quest in the log (and it might be!) it’s gone baby… gone. You gotta drop save beacons on anything planetary that’s not a base if you want to find it again… though if you’ve got an Econ scanner in your ship you can alway scan for the nearest trade terminal.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

After getting a new nexus mission for planetary analysis, the game was kind enough to spot me the recipe and mats for a survey scanner. It turns out my original base is about 400 meters from an electrical hotspot in one direction and 200 meters from a mining hotspot (which is underwater) in the other. Is that a bit too far away to run power to, or in the annoying-but-manageable range?

Also the survey scanner doesn't seem to be very good at helping you find the hotspots again once you've located them. Is there a better way to do it other than dropping a deployable beacon to mark it?

Your base has a hard limit of 1000u in any direction. You can kindasorta extend that by standing on the edge and aiming past it, but that only helps for things right on the fringe so it's not a magic extension. Given this 1000u horizontal limit, here's what I normally do:

1) Get 3-5 (depending on how many extractions you're running) save beacons.
2) Find power. With vertical tower building the class doesn't matter. Drop a save beacon on it.
3) Hop around with your scanner, note that you can still go into power/mineral/gas scan mode and see the range to the power you found and future finds will continue to show up on the survey HUD. These will vanish when leaving/reloading and you'll have to re-scan them to get the icons back, so it's important to do this in one go.
4) Find mineral/gas hotspot you want that's less than ~1900u from the power source. Drop a save beacon on it.
5) Try to find other minerals/gas that are no more than ~1900u from the previous markers. Drop beacons on them. Getting three resources this way is normal, getting four is rare and cool.
6) Triangulate a position in the middle of all these markers so that you're no more than ~950u to any given marker in your scanner. Drop a base and claim it.

That will give you a base with access to nearby nodes and power and you can be sure everything is in range.

In terms of actually building, there's a few important things to remember.

* Power lines can fork off of power lines but supply lines have to be done in one go. This is why I terminate them with supply depots along the way. I terminate power lines with batteries as well, just for show, but it's technically not needed. For lines going out to the extractors I terminate the power on top of the supply depots. It makes for nice and neat wiring.

* Never have supply depots anywhere near touching unless they're for the same thing. If one clips into another it breaks your whole supply chain.

* Supply depots, extractors, and em generators can all be stacked vertically. Stack that poo poo to the sky and you'll get max usage out of the high-value parts of the hotspot. Easier to wire up, too!

* Building range is buggy as hell and requires workarounds. I went into that in another post.

* Build your storage outwards from your collection point in separate, clean, obvious lines. Then you never have problems tracing back to the hotspots or figuring out where you screwed up. You can also redirect storage easily should you want to. If I have any problems here I can trace exactly where the issue is because none of it is packed in or hidden:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Awesome, thanks.

Now I just have to face to the grind and yank a very large number of buried tech modules out of the ground so I can buy all the necessary parts that the base mission guys didn't unlock for me.

E: just circumnavigated my base in a Nomad and there are six B and C resource hotspots and a C energy hotspot within 1000u of the base computer (though one is really close to the limit). Sure it's just low grade copper and oxygen but that's something, right? Still gotta get all the recipes bought though.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 30, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it worth/is it possible to repair an abandoned ship and sell it for the money? I traded in a navigation chart for a distress beacon and I don't like the ship model, so was wondering if I can make money from it at all?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Communist Bear posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it worth/is it possible to repair an abandoned ship and sell it for the money? I traded in a navigation chart for a distress beacon and I don't like the ship model, so was wondering if I can make money from it at all?

Yep. repair only what is needed to take off, fly to the station and melt that fucker down for $$$

If its a good enough ship you will even get a storage space upgrade you can put on a ship

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ded posted:

Yep. repair only what is needed to take off, fly to the station and melt that fucker down for $$$

If its a good enough ship you will even get a storage space upgrade you can put on a ship

Oh good, I remember in earlier versions this was a pain to accomplish.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

You don't even need to repair. You can claim it and go back to your regular ship. Once you are in your base, you can swap to the new broken ship using the items menu and call it to you as your main ship and use a teleporter to a station to scrap it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Bonus fun is "just make a base near the ship and sometimes it'll inexplicably respawn long after you've claimed it and scrapped it"

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So I just logged in and the ship i've found has...er...disappeared.

Where ship was, is just a white patch.

What the gently caress.

EDIT: Oh I see it's in storage now, ARGH GAME!!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve spent all my recent play time building. I now have all the resource farms needed to feed into making stasis devices. The midway point for my paraffinium and nitrogen farm and power hotspot ended up being in a cave which is great as I was able to hide the supply depots away in there.
Now I’m planning out and building on the new location for my circuit board and living glass farm. It’s on a flat top oval mountain on the coast surrounded by water with an S class power hotspot nearby to power everything. Fantastic views that I’m trying to maximise. I spend hours dithering about building bases though trying to get everything ‘just so’ and looking good.
I’ll maybe get some pictures up if I remember.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ded posted:

I have the location for a squid you can salvage if you want it.

The left one is the ship, the other one is a multi-tool iirc. I don't remember if they are both euclid but I think so.

Nice! I keep forgetting that you can share coordinates and stuff in this game now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unless it’s part of a quest in the log (and it might be!) it’s gone baby… gone. You gotta drop save beacons on anything planetary that’s not a base if you want to find it again… though if you’ve got an Econ scanner in your ship you can alway scan for the nearest trade terminal.

:negative: Kinda figured. I flew around the planet for a while last night looking for it and found a couple burial sites, a planetary archive, and a couple trade posts at least.

Related, is the only way to save locations like a planetary archive/trading post that the game doesn't think is important enough to add a location marker on the compass, adding a custom marker or a save beacon (if that appears on your compass)? I wanted to explore the archive a bit more but ofc I never found it again after flying off :smith:

Edit: do you have a limited number of custom markers to place from your visor?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 30, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

it was the Squid exotic in the list and I immediately purchase it for 9.8 million :dance:

Holy poo poo, these are super rare!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kiwillian posted:

Is there any way to have all my ships hang out at my base? Assuming I have enough landing pads, that is.

In the Summon Ship menu, scroll all the way right and you can summon each of your ships in turn, all to the same place.

If you're dead set on having them on landing pads, then you can summon the ship to the ground, walk over to the computer station at each pad, spend a navigation data to summon it to that pad, then call a different ship to the ground, go to computer, spend data, call that ship, wash, rinse, repeat.

Edit: Be advised, that they'll all return to your Freighter once your freighter travels to a different star system! Since you can't summon a ship to your freighter, it makes sense that you shouldn't have to remember where you parked them all if you ever get to traveling.

Kiwillian posted:

Also, how can I change the teleporter thumbnail image for my base? I've tried taking a new base screenshot and uploading but it never changes. It's stuck on some ages old picture.
This is a bug, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sorry.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 30, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I found a wrecked Squid last week - glad I didn't sell it. Gonna take a while to repair it though.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ughhhh posted:

You don't even need to repair. You can claim it and go back to your regular ship. Once you are in your base, you can swap to the new broken ship using the items menu and call it to you as your main ship and use a teleporter to a station to scrap it.

100% of the time I try to do this I can't switch ships.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Started a new save for Origins. Got to the next system and was greeted by at least 10 angry ships at the next space station. No scanning or piracy comms either

After killing at least 5 of them (thanks milestone for keeping track!) I had to bail. Ran out of sodium to charge the shields and I was down to my last ship icon thing.

At least the system's pretty

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Zet posted:

Started a new save for Origins. Got to the next system and was greeted by at least 10 angry ships at the next space station. No scanning or piracy comms either

After killing at least 5 of them (thanks milestone for keeping track!) I had to bail. Ran out of sodium to charge the shields and I was down to my last ship icon thing.

At least the system's pretty

I think you encountered a Freighter that was under attack.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
drat, quite possibly but then I totally missed the Freighter while my cockpit was surrounded in fire. I know the mission UI gives an indicator for enemy ships remaining when I was rescuing Freighters after having one, but I didn't see one this time. I glanced every now and then cuz they kept coming D:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Casu Marzu posted:

Related, is the only way to save locations like a planetary archive/trading post that the game doesn't think is important enough to add a location marker on the compass, adding a custom marker or a save beacon (if that appears on your compass)? I wanted to explore the archive a bit more but ofc I never found it again after flying off :smith:

Edit: do you have a limited number of custom markers to place from your visor?
You definitely want to use a save beacon, they show up as an icon you can set the pulse drive to fly to. They can cluster together from a distance when on the same hemisphere quadrant as a base or a quest marker, etc. but are easier to distinguish once you get closer.

You only get one custom marker, not sure they persist when you leave atmosphere / the system.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I'm getting back into this game after a long time away, and I'm wondering if there's a way to reclaim geobays after I deploy them on a random planet, or if I have to rebuild them each time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can bypass the whole process entirely with a new freighter upgrade that lets you summon vehicles without building a new geobay, if you've already built them somewhere.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 30, 2020

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

A patch has just dropped, fixes some of the issues introduced in Origins including power hotspots not giving enough power for their grade.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/09/origins-patch-3-02/

Oh nice. I thought that was a feature not a bug. Oh well, now my bases should be swimming in power since I had to build like 6 more power units at each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

You definitely want to use a save beacon, they show up as an icon you can set the pulse drive to fly to. They can cluster together from a distance when on the same hemisphere quadrant as a base or a quest marker, etc. but are easier to distinguish once you get closer.

You only get one custom marker, not sure they persist when you leave atmosphere / the system.

Word, thanks.