Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BuyDig has it for $3,696.99 with a $300 VISA gift card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oddly enough my link leads to buydig, seems like Brad's Deals needs to update.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brad did not have a deal after all it seems

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

God drat Brad, the male Karen.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

doctorthefonz posted:

Any update on this out of curiosity? Just signed up for my Costco membership today and I'm getting hyped, probably won't order for another week or two though

LG 77" CX arrived today, the delivery folks did the full White Glove delivery- brought it in, unpacked, attached base, and put it on my console.

TV is functioning without any noticeable defects, only problem is that I can't get my PS4 Pro signal to appear on the screen. My receiver isn't that old, a few years I think- it's the Yamaha RX-V681, and the cables from PS4 to receiver and receiver to TV are both recently purchased 4k compatible. Before I jump down the wormhole of reading manuals and troubleshooting, any idea what I can quickly do to get the signal to appear? I can get the receiver's menu to appear, so the signal from the receiver seems okay, just can't get the PS4 signal on the LG.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a way of booting the PS4 in a ‘safe mode’ as such? I know the xbone does through holding the power button or similar in a certain way. The aim is it’ll kick out a widely accepted low res video signal so you can then go around the menus and try dial in the output you want.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Hold down the power button until you hear a second beep and the console's light is off. Now, hold the power key and keep pressing it until once again you hear a second beep. It will boot up in Safe Mode. You can now select the Change Resolution option and your PS4 will restart

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Thanks I'll give that a shot.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Ugh, now I have a constant flickering of the screen. The articles I see go back a few years, and when I try some of the suggestions, I'm not getting a lot of improvement, and the option for 2160- RGB is marked as unsupported in my menu. Why wouldn't I have access to that- the TV is brand new, and the PS4 Pro was purchased Black Friday of 2019, so just under a year ago?

Could this be an issue with my cables being too long? They're 15 foot cables, should I get 3 meter cables?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does the PS4 work when you hook it up directly to the TV?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Does the PS4 work when you hook it up directly to the TV?

I can try that too, but how do I then get sound back to the stereo, would I have to use ARC?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Does your receiver have a HDMI mode setting? I have a Yamaha 385 and it has a HDMI mode setting. You have to change it to a certain mode for 4K if I remember right.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can use ARC or an optical out from the TV to the receiver.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

serebralassazin posted:

Does your receiver have a HDMI mode setting? I have a Yamaha 385 and it has a HDMI mode setting. You have to change it to a certain mode for 4K if I remember right.

The Yamaha manual is a piece of poo poo but in the Setup menu I could turn on HDMI control and manually set the resolution- there was an automatic setting but I put it to 4K- and after goofing around a bit with other settings, I get a stable image for gaming, but it's not the 4K RGB, it's the compressed color space one, YUV420 or whatever.

When I enable HDCP though, the image starts flickering a huge amount. If I keep it off, it's okay, but then I can't use the video apps like Netflix.

I got ARC working from the TV, so I can stream Netflix and Prime and have the audio go to the receiver with ARC, but there's no HBOMax app on the LG store. So I guess next step is I'll move the PS4 Pro over so that it's connected directly to the TV, and see if turning HDCP on will cause it to freak out again. Could this be an issue though of the cables not supporting the amount of data that the PS4 is trying to push to the TV?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

FilthyImp posted:

Your TV specs seem to list Audio Return Channel (ARC), so if you just want something To Work OK you can get a 5.1 or 5.2 receiver like this quickie one I just goog'd. Connect the black and red leads to the corresponding speaker channel listed on the receiver, hook the center channel in the same way,, then a RCA style cable leads to the subwoofer.

As for hooking it up to the TV, find the ARC HDMI port on the TV (usually like #2), plug it into the ARC port on the receiver, and you should be good to go.

I don't fully understand this. Do I plug most of my things (chromecast, ps4, switch etc) into my TV, and then run an hdmi from my TV to my surround sound receiver?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skyarb posted:

I don't fully understand this. Do I plug most of my things (chromecast, ps4, switch etc) into my TV, and then run an hdmi from my TV to my surround sound receiver?

So the Chromecast I think you have to plug into your TV.
With ARC the idea is you plug your Playstation into your Sound receiver. Then run another HDMI from the sound receiver into your TV. So the Sound receiver is outputting the video that the Playstation is giving it.
Obviously both HDMI cables would have to then be 4K ready.

Yes this means that unless your sound receiver had multiple HDMI input ports you can’t have your PS4 and Switch both plugged in at the same time, but it’s not like you can play both at the same time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Question IRL posted:

So the Chromecast I think you have to plug into your TV.

No you don't, it's just another HDMI device.

Plug it all into the receiver and let it do the switching.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Did you update the TV and or AVRs firmware?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

The Yamaha manual is a piece of poo poo but in the Setup menu I could turn on HDMI control and manually set the resolution- there was an automatic setting but I put it to 4K- and after goofing around a bit with other settings, I get a stable image for gaming, but it's not the 4K RGB, it's the compressed color space one, YUV420 or whatever.

When I enable HDCP though, the image starts flickering a huge amount. If I keep it off, it's okay, but then I can't use the video apps like Netflix.

I got ARC working from the TV, so I can stream Netflix and Prime and have the audio go to the receiver with ARC, but there's no HBOMax app on the LG store. So I guess next step is I'll move the PS4 Pro over so that it's connected directly to the TV, and see if turning HDCP on will cause it to freak out again. Could this be an issue though of the cables not supporting the amount of data that the PS4 is trying to push to the TV?

Make sure both the TV has the 'Ultra HD deep color' input setting turned on also, that's in additional settings for the input if the CX is the same as the C9.

If setting those options in the receiver and the TV don't help then a lot of that sounds like classic cable issues yes. You said they were 15 foot cables I think? I know HDMI 2.1 isn't supposed to go that distance over non-boosted cables so that could be an issue if you bought early to be 2.1 ready. But yes try different cables if you have them, could still just be crappy cables (or one of them at least, connecting the PS4 Pro directly to the TV to test will help figure that out). Also the one that originally came with the PS4 Pro will only be 6 foot or so but is an HDMI 2.0 cable that will work if you still have it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Maybe it's a bandwidth issue. If you're trying to output RGB I think that gets close to 18gbps of HDMI 2.0. Try connecting PS4 directly to tv and see if it works.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

bull3964 posted:

No you don't, it's just another HDMI device.

Plug it all into the receiver and let it do the switching.

What about my tv's like... native apps? I guess I don't understand why I would want my av receiver to do the switching and not my tv.

Also can I use a 5.2 receiver with only a 5.1 setup? I don't plan on buying two subwoofers immediately but most receivers for sale are 5.2...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skyarb posted:

What about my tv's like... native apps? I guess I don't understand why I would want my av receiver to do the switching and not my tv.

Also can I use a 5.2 receiver with only a 5.1 setup? I don't plan on buying two subwoofers immediately but most receivers for sale are 5.2...

The TV's native apps will push audio back the other direction through the HDMI connection for audio.

ARC can be limited in its formats. The reason why you would hook your external devices up to the receiver first is it's likely you'll get better audio that way. Hooking them to the TV means that the TV has to process the audio and then pass it back to the receiver and typically that means losing out on the highest resolution audio and formats.

Receivers are configurable in the number of speakers attached. You could even just attach a single speaker to the center channel output of a receiver and tell it you don't have any of the other speakers and it will direct all audio out the single speaker.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bull3964 posted:

The TV's native apps will push audio back the other direction through the HDMI connection for audio.

ARC can be limited in its formats. The reason why you would hook your external devices up to the receiver first is it's likely you'll get better audio that way. Hooking them to the TV means that the TV has to process the audio and then pass it back to the receiver and typically that means losing out on the highest resolution audio and formats.

Receivers are configurable in the number of speakers attached. You could even just attach a single speaker to the center channel output of a receiver and tell it you don't have any of the other speakers and it will direct all audio out the single speaker.

Thanks! But now I will have to have two remote controls for everything right? Ugh that is annoying.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 29, 2020

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

serebralassazin posted:

Maybe it's a bandwidth issue. If you're trying to output RGB I think that gets close to 18gbps of HDMI 2.0. Try connecting PS4 directly to tv and see if it works.

I plugged the PS4 directly into the TV and everything works, with audio going to the receiver via ARC. Then I got an issue where I couldn't get the cable input to the receiver to pass through correctly, if I went to the LG home dashboard and tried to select the HDMI output from the receiver, with the receiver set to the cable input, the audio would come through but the video would switch to the PS4 input. This happened even though the preview window for the receiver input was playing the cable video. If the PS4 was off, it would turn on and again show the video from the PS4. The only way I could get the TV to output the cable signal and have the receiver outputting the cable audio was to unplug the PS4 from the wall socket, which I'm not going to do every time I want to switch to watching TV. So I moved the cable input straight into the TV too, and have all audio going to receiver via ARC. A bit of a bummer because I liked switching inputs via the receiver more.

Which of these various luminosity/brightness settings should I be lowering to reduce burn-in potential/extend the life of the TV?

Also, thanks thread people for the help!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I went to my local church Costco and bought the LG CX 65" and :holymoley:

Now I need to rewatch every movie/tv show I have. I also need to upgrade all my cheap $4 bluray 1080p content to 4k :whitewater:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it makes you feel better, most 4K stuff isn’t sourced from real 4K (modern effects movies in particular) and it’s not so much the resolution that matters anyway. Enjoy the blu-rays and the HDR stuff as you get it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One of the beauty things about OLED is it really enhances just good HD content as well.

That said, my 4k libray has grown considerably because the WCG and HDR usually make it worth it even if the resolution may be lacking.

Also, if it's anything wider than 16:9, you ARE getting (slightly) more resolution with the 4k copy even if it's from a 2k master. Blu-ray is a hard matte, the black bars are baked in.

So, your 2.4:1 movie on bluray is actually only 1920x800 resolution. The 2k master of that movie is 2048×858 which a 4k disc can show fully upscaled. It's not much granted, but the extra pixels do help with the upscaling.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Hot drat, I was getting nervous when Costco's site delisted the 77" CX but it's back up again and @ $3650, down three hundo from just a week ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

doctorthefonz posted:

Hot drat, I was getting nervous when Costco's site delisted the 77" CX but it's back up again and @ $3650, down three hundo from just a week ago.

Is 3600 the best that TV is going to be this year? I was waiting till black friday.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

mcmagic posted:

Is 3600 the best that TV is going to be this year? I was waiting till black friday.

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but it's $350 cheaper than when I bought from Costco on August 17th, and $100 cheaper than it was a month ago when the price dipped. I guess the question to ask is how much cheaper you think it might get, and whether you think that price difference would be worth spending to enjoy a new TV between now and then.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Doesn’t Costco do a 30 or 90 day price guarantee? I should probably read up on it...

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

kloa posted:

Doesn’t Costco do a 30 or 90 day price guarantee? I should probably read up on it...

30 day. So you could wait until you were within 30 days of Black Friday and pull the trigger if the price is still this low, but you should double check that they honor price readjustment for Black Friday. I don't know why they wouldn't but it's worth it to check the fine print I think.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't think anyone honors price adjustments for BF deals.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FilthyImp posted:

I don't think anyone honors price adjustments for BF deals.

Yeah I spent 5 more minutes thinking and realized why that wouldn't be a good idea.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That surprises me, isn't a price adjustment a price adjustment?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Best Buy has a killer deal on the 65" Sony X900H @ $999. I purchased it 14 days ago from BB for $1169 (which was still a good deal), hoping I can get them to price match.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-x900h-series-led-4k-uhd-tv-smart-android-tv/6401205.p?skuId=6401205

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 30, 2020

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Often BF deals are limited, and/or on special 'black friday' versions of TVs with lower quality components

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

No. Price adjustments and price matching are a Big Deal for retailers and fine print. Each will have different rules that you need to check out. Otherwise everybody would claim ridiculous deals and retailers wouldn't make as big a profit, boo hoo.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Pulled the trigger on the Costco deal, scheduled delivery for this upcoming Tuesday. Will post an update once it arrives, I'm fuckin stoked!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Hughmoris posted:

Best Buy has a killer deal on the 65" Sony X900H @ $999. I purchased it 14 days ago from BB for $1169 (which was still a good deal), hoping I can get them to price match.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-x900h-series-led-4k-uhd-tv-smart-android-tv/6401205.p?skuId=6401205

drat...Best Buy won't let me price match a second time. I got a $200 refund last time, and was hoping for another one. I originally paid $1400 for this TV at the beginning of August.